HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Wouldn't it be time for another Hockey Franchise in Montreal???

Old
05-23-2006, 02:41 PM
DeadPool

vCash: 500
Wouldn't it be time for another Hockey Franchise in Montreal???

I was reading articles in the AHL forums and it got me thinking.

Why don't we move the Bulldogs to Montreal? Why can't a business man buy or bring a Q team here?

We just came out from a sold-out season at the Bell Centre. People are fighting for tickets. (I got playoffs tickets and was the envy of all my friends. Habs tickets are almost becoming a social status.)

We all know that a Q or AHL team would have made HUGE money during the lockout. Hell, the Chiefs/Verdun teams did brisk business at the Bell Centre during the lockout.

The hockey faithfuls here need an alternative option. Whoever comes up with it, will be a rich man. (High attendance and TV sells should be enough to make a good-enough profit.)

DeadPool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2006, 02:44 PM
jester099

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadPool

The hockey faithfuls here need an alternative option. Whoever comes up with it, will be a rich man. (High attendance and TV sells should be enough to make a good-enough profit.)
I highly doubt that...

Serge Savard tried to bring a team from the Q here and it didn't work.

Maybe it's possible, but there is no success garanteed.

jester099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2006, 02:44 PM
Matrix

Quote:

Why don't we move the Bulldogs to Montreal? Why can't a business man buy or bring a Q team here?

We just came out from a sold-out season at the Bell Centre. People are fighting for tickets. (I got playoffs tickets and was the envy of all my friends. Habs tickets are almost becoming a social status.)

We all know that a Q or AHL team would have made HUGE money during the lockout. Hell, the Chiefs/Verdun teams did brisk business at the Bell Centre during the lockout.

I live on the North Shore and while I try to go in Drummondville to see some games, the talk about a franchise in Boisbriand is real exciting for me and I'll buy my season ticket you can be sure about it. Love talking about prospects but more interested in seeing them a lot live so I'll be up for it!!!!

But it's not done yet, far from it....

Matrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2006, 02:49 PM
Artie

Quote:

As somebody already mentioned, we've had Q teams in the Montreal area and they did NOT do well. The Rocket packed up and moved. The Titans de Laval moved as well.
We have to ask ourselves...Is Montreal a Hockey city or a Habs city? How many people have been continuing to follow the playoffs once the Habs were eliminated? Go to Champs or any Cage aux Sports and see the difference.

Artie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2006, 02:50 PM
NBHABSFAN

I think it could work in Montreal. I mean it works in Ottawa, Toronto why not in Montreal. There is enough of a fanbase for either a AHL team (bulldogs) or a Q team.

I think Montreal would benefit from this, and maybe would be able to land the World Jr. Championships (which I think we should have won over Ottawa )

NBHABSFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2006, 03:03 PM
Matrix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artie
As somebody already mentioned, we've had Q teams in the Montreal area and they did NOT do well. The Rocket packed up and moved. The Titans de Laval moved as well.
We have to ask ourselves...Is Montreal a Hockey city or a Habs city? How many people have been continuing to follow the playoffs once the Habs were eliminated? Go to Champs or any Cage aux Sports and see the difference.
Well it sure is Habs city. That's why we have to find some place in the area, like the North Shore who would have that young fan base newly interested in hockey but could not afford a Habs ticket. Laval was here from 69 to 98 so they had built something great. And Montreal, well the marketing was inexistant, and knowing that Montreal itself should not have another team, you've got your answer.

But I believe that with the new excitement that the NHL provides, the fact that the audience is younger, more excited than ever, you could still have those people to attend Junior hockey or definately AHL hockey if the marketing is there, if the prices are good and if the show is great.

I believe in the North Shore, there was some talk about Repentigny as well, but Boisbriand, where the old GM building was, is a perfect location for people that lives north of Montreal, Laval, and the rest of the North Shore.

Matrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2006, 03:06 PM
Bronn
Registered Sellsword

Bah

You guys can already go watch the Habs pretty much anytime you wants.

If anything , the Bulldogs should move to Quebec instead .Yeah we already have the Remparts and it's good but the Bulldogs would be even more interesting

Bronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2006, 03:14 PM
Artie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrix
But I believe that with the new excitement that the NHL provides, the fact that the audience is younger, more excited than ever, you could still have those people to attend Junior hockey or definately AHL hockey if the marketing is there, if the prices are good and if the show is great.

I believe in the North Shore, there was some talk about Repentigny as well, but Boisbriand, where the old GM building was, is a perfect location for people that lives north of Montreal, Laval, and the rest of the North Shore.
There have been a couple of rumours in the West Island and Western End of Montreal. Most of these "rumors" have been generated by folks trying to get enough interest and financing to build different arena projects. A few years back the name of a prominent Montreal businessman and a hockey broadcaster were mentioned in one of the projects. It never seemed to materialize.

Personally I would love for the Bulldogs to be in Montreal (and to me Laval, South Shore, West Island etc are included in the MONTREAL definition because the team will not survive on just North Shore or South Shore or WI support) but I still think that there are too many other options vying for Montrealers entertainment $$$$.

I'd love for the Habs to get the Bulldogs to play 10 games at the Bell Center every year.

Artie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2006, 03:21 PM
DeadPool

Personally, I've been to Drummondville 15 times in the past 2 years. I'd definitely get season tickets to a Montreal Q team. Everyone who turned to Q hockey during the lockout weren't dissapointed. I know tons of them and they would gladly pay 12$ to see a local Montreal Q team. Let's remember that the Rockets were playing in a time where the Habs popularity was down. 2006 was the pinnacle of Habs fever since the Roy trade. That fuels all area of Hockey in this city.

Now imagine the Bulldogs playing at the Bell Centre in 2007-2008 with Guillaume Latendresse. Don't tell me, they wouldn't have 8000 or more paying for that.

DeadPool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2006, 03:23 PM
Montrealer

An AHL franchise would draw maybe 4,000 a game, if the ticket prices were cheap enough.

A QMJHL franchise would draw 2,000 a game if everything went right... the best average the Rocket ever managed was 2500 a game back in their expansion year.

Of course, that doesn't stop people from trying over and over and over again.

Montrealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2006, 03:34 PM
Maxpac

I know i'd watch an AHL team way before a Q game, just the thought of seeing guys like Chip,Kostytsin and Lapierre play....

Maxpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2006, 03:47 PM
Dutch

Unless your team can be on the top of the standings each year, no team has ever survived in Montreal. Before they became a winning team, the Als were playing in front of mediocre teams. The Expos had good years, but after 94, there wasn't any crowd support. The Impact had the same problems. The Claude-Robillard is full right now, but if the team would have a bad year, crowds would fall down fast like it did in the 90's. That,s why I don't believe any team could succed in the Montreal region. Maybe on the North Shore, but I doubt it, unfortunetly.

Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2006, 03:47 PM
phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Symbolic
Bah

You guys can already go watch the Habs pretty much anytime you wants.

If anything , the Bulldogs should move to Quebec instead .Yeah we already have the Remparts and it's good but the Bulldogs would be even more interesting
we had the Citadels a few years back and they packed up and moved... won't work in QC

phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2006, 04:01 PM
Joey

Send a message via MSN to Joey
I know Leaf fans that would rather go to Bulldogs games than Marlies games, even with this losing season Hamilton had this year. Plus if you walk around Copps on a game day in Hamilton, you'll see tons of people in Habs shirts. Hamilton is really a Habs city

Joey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2006, 04:14 PM
jester099

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil
we had the Citadels a few years back and they packed up and moved... won't work in QC
AHL hockey might work if it's not an affiliate of the Habs I think.

People are still bitter and still hate the Habs organisation enough not to show to their affiliate team I think.

That's why the Citadels didn't work anyway. Maybe it changed since then.

jester099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2006, 06:07 PM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

vCash: 137
I'd like a Q team in Montreal; I'd probably go to a couple games.

Le Tricolore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2006, 06:11 PM
Dutch

There a rumors that an arena could be built on the South Shore... of Quebec City. A group would be interested in getting a second Q team in the region.

Last edited by Dutch: 05-23-2006 at 06:45 PM.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2006, 06:24 PM
phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch
There a rumors that an arena could be built on the South Shore... or Quebec City. A group would be interested in getting a second Q team in the region.
this rumor has been running for a couple years now... it would be in somewhere on the southern shore to brign a Q team... but as time goes by the rumor gets lost and seems like it won't happen

Old
05-23-2006, 06:27 PM
phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by jester099
AHL hockey might work if it's not an affiliate of the Habs I think.
this is not true... it did not worked because the average attendance was about 2000 to 3000, which isn't enough for an AHL team, it had nothing to do with the habs/nordiques clash...

it started well in the first maybe 2 years and then it faded and the remparts took their actual place in importance and choked the citadels...

Old
05-23-2006, 06:47 PM
Raskolnikov76

The Titans should never have left.

Gino Odjick with the traditional green mohawk playoff haircut was something to see.

Raskolnikov76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2006, 07:37 PM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
It all depends on where the team is placed. The Rockets and Titans were not in the best places. I always wondered how a Q team might do on the west island. Lots of young families and good money.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2006, 07:45 PM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

vCash: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch
There a rumors that an arena could be built on the South Shore... of Quebec City. A group would be interested in getting a second Q team in the region.
There should be a team in the South Shore of Montreal!

LONGUEUIL! YEAH!

Le Tricolore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2006, 09:57 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf
It all depends on where the team is placed. The Rockets and Titans were not in the best places. I always wondered how a Q team might do on the west island. Lots of young families and good money.
i grew up there...a lot of hockey fans i can tell you that.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2006, 10:54 PM
CoupeStanley

Send a message via MSN to CoupeStanley
I think some people overestimate the entertainement value of the AHL products. I love prospect and all, but it's not a level of hockey that will drive a lot of passion in Montreal. They could probably draw relatively well anyway though. Since that would be the Baby Habs and this city is crazy about anything Habs.

The Q is a great product though. It's fast, intense.. I always have fun when I go to the Cataractes and I always come out thinking it's the best «hockey» I've seen in a while.

But don't tie the products with the Habs.. like calling them the Rocket or the Jr. Canadiens. Give them their own identity. and let the product sell by itself. Give it time.

CoupeStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2006, 11:00 PM
La Grosse Tendresse

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjb45
There should be a team in the South Shore of Montreal!

LONGUEUIL! YEAH!
We draw like 300 people for junior AAA, which is a very good product. For comparaison, places like St-Jerome and Joliette can get more than 1,000 on a bad night. People just don't care around Montreal, as there is too much competition from other sources.

La Grosse Tendresse is offline   Reply With Quote