HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Brewer an healthy scratch

Closed Thread

Old
11-04-2003, 05:13 AM
Team_Spirit
Tinordi-Subban

vCash: 500
Brewer an healthy scratche

http://www.hfboards.com/showthread.php?threadid=25319

Interesting....

Quote:
It's not up on the website yet, but the Game Time in the Journal says that Laraque, Chimera, and Brewer are the healthy scratches tonight. It looks like they are using these lines:
I've also read some Laraque to Atlanta rumor on the Oils board , is a move in the works ?

http://www.hfboards.com/showthread.php?threadid=25328

Old
11-04-2003, 05:16 AM
FacelessButcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jozeph_Balej

Interesting....

I've also read some Laraque to Atlanta rumor on the Oils board , is a move in the works ?

nope, tell you hes a healthy scratch and you go nuts I think MacTavish is trying to get a little more fire in his belly. Brewer+Laraque+Comrie that is sure to net a pretty sick blockbuster sized return

Old
11-04-2003, 06:04 AM
Cerebral

Quote:

Interesting....

The Laraque rumour was just a proposal by a fan.. I don't see any way that Brewer is on his way out. It is only a wakeup call by MacT.. he did the same thing with Isbister a few games ago.

Old
11-04-2003, 06:11 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by FacelessButcher
nope, tell you hes a healthy scratch and you go nuts I think MacTavish is trying to get a little more fire in his belly. Brewer+Laraque+Comrie that is sure to net a pretty sick blockbuster sized return
Holy cow, they could command a lot.

Who would be potential buyers if that was a trade?

Detroit
Nashville
Chicago?

Any team would love to have these players, but who could afford them. Detroit would have to dump some salary, which Edmonton cannot take on...

Old
11-04-2003, 06:12 AM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
Quote:
Indeed that would most certainly be a HUGE trade! That would land us QUITE a bit, because the other team wouldn't have to take on very much salary for taking on three players. like what four or five million bucks is all for these guys.

Old
11-04-2003, 06:15 AM
Stuy

Didn't Laraque once say if he was ever traded he would retire? Thought I read that somewhere.

Chicago is out. We have nothing to offer in a trade like that. Arnason is playing way to well. I'd rather have Arny than Comrie at this point.

11-04-2003, 06:18 AM
oilers_guy_eddie

Quote:

Interesting....

The only surprise with Brewer being a healthy scratch is that it took this long. He played a couple of absolutely wretched games earlier in this season (-4 vs Colorado...) and needed a wake-up call. I guess it had to wait until Cross was back in the lineup.

Brewer's actually played better the past 2 games, but the message is definitely well-deserved and he needs to know that he doesn't get a free pass.

Old
11-04-2003, 06:20 AM
incawg

The Canucks would love to have Laraque on their 4th line (okay, us and about 29 other teams). Unfortunately the oilers would never do a deal like that with a division rival. Honestly, I don't think that comrie, brewer, and laraque would be packaged in a deal together. Deals of that magnitude are pretty rare. Heck, I doubt all 3 of them would even be traded at all. The oilers are still in contention for a playoff spot, I can't see them ripping apart that much of the team right now.

Old
11-04-2003, 06:38 AM
jofa

If Brewer had been playing up to potential, I'd be inclined to think something (trade) was up, but this is nothing but a benching for poor performance. Insert your motivational cliche here: Give him a wake-up call; light a fire under his ass.

Old
11-04-2003, 08:01 AM
oildrop

Quote:

Interesting....

I'm thinking MacT is just trying to put pressure on Brewer. Brewer likely won't sit tonight, IMO. MacT is making it look like he will but after the pre-game skate, I am sure that MacT will say Brewer you're playing tonight. I don't see how the Oilers would sit a $2.5million defenceman, wether he is having a rough start or not.

Old
11-04-2003, 09:01 AM
USC Trojans
I have a plan.

Sitting Brewer --> light a fire under his belly
Playing Brewer --> possibly showcasing him (but I doubt it)

I wouldn't think too much about it. Brewer is too valuable to the Oilers to be traded away.

Old
11-04-2003, 09:06 AM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by alzardnp1
Sitting Brewer --> light a fire under his belly
Playing Brewer --> possibly showcasing him (but I doubt it)

I wouldn't think too much about it. Brewer is too valuable to the Oilers to be traded away.

Just remember this: development is not always a linear process. Most young playes don't get progressively better all the time with no downturn. Usually it goes two steps forward, one step back.

In other words, the fact that a young player takes a step back every once in a while doens't mean he won't be very good. It takes time and development before you reach consistency. But, a few lousy weeks of play doesn't suggest a player won't develop well.

I though Brewer would be a stud when the Isles first drafted him, and nothing has changed about opinion. He is going through a rough spot, but will play out of it, and develop into a true number 1 dman for EDM.

11-04-2003, 09:22 AM
Volchenkov

Maybe... there's a deal in the works for Heatley. With Heatley, until he starts playing again will always have the risk factor that he'll never recover from killing someone. He could be psychologically scarred for the rest of his life - not to mention he has just had a major injury. Thus, its not out of the question that you could have a Laraque, Brewer + Comrie deal for Heatley. Edmonton isn't going to get Comrie to play for them this season, so upgrading him to Heatley is viable.

Old
11-04-2003, 09:25 AM
Team_Spirit
Tinordi-Subban

trade him away won't help....

Old
11-04-2003, 09:29 AM
Bruwinz37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volchenkov
Maybe... there's a deal in the works for Heatley. With Heatley, until he starts playing again will always have the risk factor that he'll never recover from killing someone. He could be psychologically scarred for the rest of his life - not to mention he has just had a major injury. Thus, its not out of the question that you could have a Laraque, Brewer + Comrie deal for Heatley. Edmonton isn't going to get Comrie to play for them this season, so upgrading him to Heatley is viable.
Are you suggesting that they are scratching Brewer because he might be traded in 14 months when Heatley's knee isnt in a total mess? You are reaching.

Old
11-04-2003, 09:31 AM
Bruwinz37

Quote:
To play imaginary GM for a moment (instead of working) I would offer Boynton, Rolston, Hilbert and a second round pick for those three.

Any takers?

Old
11-04-2003, 09:36 AM
Volchenkov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruwinz20
Are you suggesting that they are scratching Brewer because he might be traded in 14 months when Heatley's knee isnt in a total mess? You are reaching.
What I am suggesting is that they'll package all 3 players for Heatley right now. Its a possibilty as there is a huge risk factor involved with Heatley and the Oil only lose Brewer and Laraque for this season anyway.

Old
11-04-2003, 09:43 AM
Sammy*

Quote:
To play imaginary GM for a moment (instead of working) I would offer Boynton, Rolston, Hilbert and a second round pick for those three.

Any takers?
Taking into account age, talent, market value & salary

Brewer >> Boynton
Comrie >>> Rolston
Laraque> Hilbert & 2nd rounder

No thanks

Old
11-04-2003, 09:44 AM
oildrop

Quote:

Interesting....

I'm from Edmonton and I just read one of the local papers and it didn't say anything about Brewer being a healthy scratch tonight. I think somebody is just trying to stir things up.

Old
11-04-2003, 10:03 AM
Bruwinz37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy
Taking into account age, talent, market value & salary

Brewer >> Boynton
Comrie >>> Rolston
Laraque> Hilbert & 2nd rounder

No thanks
I am not going to get into a heated discussion on whether Boynton is better than Brewer or anything, but I would like to point out that since Boynton has taken a spot in the lineup he has never been a healthy scratch. Just an fyi

Oh...and another thing, when a guy says he wont play for you anymore, you tend to lose a little bit of leverage.

Old
11-04-2003, 10:04 AM
creative giant*

Quote:
Originally Posted by oildrop
I'm from Edmonton and I just read one of the local papers and it didn't say anything about Brewer being a healthy scratch tonight. I think somebody is just trying to stir things up.
It was in the Sun.

http://www.canoe.ca/EdmontonSports/e...1-04-0116.html

Quote:
Brewer to sit?

Eric Brewer was a minus-2 against the Red Wings and, based on MacTavish's defence pairings yesterday, there's a chance he will get a seat in the press box tonight.
Apparently, Brewer was the 7th d-man and Cross was skating with Semenov in practice. I don't think it's an indication of a trade, more likely it's just a kick in the ass for Brewer.

Old
11-04-2003, 10:05 AM
Bruwinz37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volchenkov
What I am suggesting is that they'll package all 3 players for Heatley right now. Its a possibilty as there is a huge risk factor involved with Heatley and the Oil only lose Brewer and Laraque for this season anyway.

Are the Edmonton Oilers in the business of getting the Atlanta Thrashers into the playoffs? Why the heck would Edmonton do that? Yes, it would be great to get a player like Heatley, but will he ever be the same? Is it worth throwing a season away in order to take that much of a risk. No way I say.

Old
11-04-2003, 10:08 AM
Sammy*

Quote:
I am not going to get into a heated discussion on whether Boynton is better than Brewer or anything, but I would like to point out that since Boynton has taken a spot in the lineup he has never been a healthy scratch. Just an fyi
Wowee.
He must be better than Gretzky, Messier...etc.
Stupid comment.
It means dick.

Old
11-04-2003, 10:20 AM
Volchenkov

Quote:
Are the Edmonton Oilers in the business of getting the Atlanta Thrashers into the playoffs? Why the heck would Edmonton do that? Yes, it would be great to get a player like Heatley, but will he ever be the same? Is it worth throwing a season away in order to take that much of a risk. No way I say.
Are you telling me that edmonton is giving up too much? Comrie isn't going to play for them this year - thus they are pretty much giving up Brewer + Laraque for an upgrade next year of Comrie to Heatley. I think its a pretty fair deal for both sides.

Old
11-04-2003, 10:39 AM
Bruwinz37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy
Wowee.
He must be better than Gretzky, Messier...etc.
Stupid comment.
It means dick.
You would think that you having a thousand posts under your belt you could come up with something with a little more intelligence than that. This isnt the ESPN message boards kid, so either grow up or leave. Obviously you didnt understand my post, so dont make a fool out of yourself any further.

Gotta wonder about a guy who starts a post with "Wowee".

Closed Thread