HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Flyers and Sharks taking a look at Comrie.

Closed Thread

Old
11-04-2003, 10:53 AM
blah

vCash: 500
Take Chouinard-Fedoruk-Vandermeer for Comrie and be happy.

Old
11-04-2003, 10:53 AM
Seachd

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gags1288
Good, i'm glad you're not interested in Handzus, because he's probably not going to Edmonton. If you watch him play enough, you would probably realize that he's a much better all around player than Mike Comrie.
He's 26, he's never gotten 30 goals, he's slow.
He's big, and good defensively, although his best defensive year wasn't much better than Comrie's best.

I'm just saying I wouldn't trade Comrie for him. There are other players I'd rather have. If LA offered the right players, I'd easily take them over anything Philly could offer. Just an opinion. No need to get worked up about it.

Old
11-04-2003, 10:59 AM
Toonces
The beer kitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel
In any case, i'm not saying that you're asking too much for Comrie. I'm saying that the Flyers don't want him enough to give up what you're asking. I'm not opposed to trading ANY of the Flyers players, just the ones that it would take to get Comrie.
Yeah, I wouldn't take any offense to what Diesel is trying to articulate.

Any deal the Flyers would be willing to consider would not include names like Gagne, Williams, and Handzus, but more like Therien, LeClair, Weinrich, and Sami K, alongside with Prospects/Draft Picks. I'm not sure a package could be put together that both sides would agree to.

I'm not saying that Comrie is only worth the above mentioned guys, but that Clarke's risk/reward ratio for trading Gagne, Williams, or Handzus for Comrie is too high.

Old
11-04-2003, 11:00 AM
camboy

Quote:
Ok this thread is WAY too large for me to read every post. But, as a Flyers fan from the Philadelphia area who watches every single game and who reads local articles on a daily basis, let me just inform as to the availability of most of the players who i've seen thrown around this thread in rumors. .... ZERO PERCENT!!

First of all, Pitkanen... are you guys nuts? Clarke is not this trade-happy fool that the media (everywhere but philly) makes him out to be. The Flyers DO have a budget, even if it is a fairly large one. That aside, Clarke would not trade Joni Pitkanen for the entire Edmonton Oilers team right now. That isn't meant as an insult to your hockey club, simply a statement about Pitkanen's potential. Although he makes a rookie mistake now and then, he is ALREADY our best defenseman- at least when it comes to puckhandling and powerplay quarterback ability. Young stud d-men are like a precious gem in this league: you don't trade them- PERIOD! ...Not if you're smart anyway. Eric Brewer, while very, very good, is not on the same level as the type of player that the Flyers expect Pitkanen to be. Hockey experts around the country are lauding this guy as a larger, physical Nik Lidstrom. He's not going anywhere for a very long time if ever.

Justin Williams... Hitchcock has said, repeatedly, that Justin Williams has been our BEST forward thus far this season. There is no way he gets traded this year especially if he continues this level of play. I'd bet money on it.

Gagne... there may come a time in the future when, if it appears that Gagne will never regain form, that the Flyers might part with him. Unfortunately, if that day ever comes, you probably won't want him nearly as much as you do right now. The earliest that this guy gets traded would be the trade deadline, but i still doubt it. He still has time to turn it around and i think he will.

Woywitka... similar to what i said about Pitkanen regarding stud dman potential, but to a much lesser degree. They are just too high on him and the team is playing well right now so why give up prospects for a player that we just don't need?

Handzus... leads the team in goals right now. His line has been our BEST line thus far this season. Why would the Flyers mess with that? The answer is: they won't.

Can we please end this ridiculous thread?

You have some very valid points....however this rumor was published by a very reliable source. Are you suggesting that JM made it up? The people on this board are speculating for the fun of it. Please do not take it personally. Also, I think you have not seen a enough of Mike Comrie playing. He is a very gifted hockey player that unfortunately doesn't seem to want to play for Edmonton anymore. True talent is also a gem in this league. Gagne for Comrie is not that farfetched. Gagne for Comrie = Talent for Talent....IMO.

Old
11-04-2003, 11:01 AM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Quote:
Originally Posted by blah
Take Chouinard-Fedoruk-Vandermeer for Comrie and be happy.
Worst post ever??

2nd worst??

Old
11-04-2003, 11:01 AM
Hemmer

Quote:
Your "sources" are in Edmonton..
Did you even read the article? Matheson is one of the most credible hockey journalists in circulation. If he suggests interest, chances are pretty good a phone call has been made at the very least - from Clarke, to Lowe, re: Comrie. This isn't a bunk message-board source...the article was printed in the sports section of the Edmonton journal. Regardless of how credible YOU believe it to be, that is an awfully conspicuous place for a trade rumor IMO.

Quote:
I'm saying that the Flyers don't want him enough to give up what you're asking.
You are, are you? Are YOU the Flyers? How do you know that exactly? You don't actually KNOW anything - you only have an opinion, like the rest of us. Get off the high horse. Anything is possible with Clarke as your GM.

Old
11-04-2003, 11:02 AM
Toonces
The beer kitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by camboy
Gagne for Comrie is not that farfetched. Gagne for Comrie = Talent for Talent....IMO.
Your correct, but there is no reason to do this for any reason but to get Comrie out of Edmonton. Hitch and Clarke both like Gagne, and he's never had any problems with management AFAIK.

Old
11-04-2003, 11:03 AM
Toonces
The beer kitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemmer
Did you even read the article? Matheson is one of the most credible hockey journalists in circulation. If he suggests interest, chances are pretty good a phone call has been made at the very least - from Clarke, to Lowe, re: Comrie. This isn't a bunk message-board source...the article was printed in the sports section of the Edmonton journal. Regardless of how credible YOU believe it to be, that is an awfully conspicuous place for a trade rumor IMO.
I think he's just trying to look at it objectively. Why would Clarke trake Gagne for Comrie strait up? I can't think of any good reason.

And the fact that Bobby Clarke is occasionally an idiot is not a good reason

Old
11-04-2003, 11:04 AM
blah

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudmouthHemskyfan#1
Worst post ever??

2nd worst??
I hate to tell you but right now Comrie wouldn't crack the Flyers top 9.

Old
11-04-2003, 11:05 AM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonces
Your correct, but there is no reason to do this for any reason but to get Comrie out of Edmonton. Hitch and Clarke both like Gagne, and he's never had any problems with management AFAIK.
I might be willing to part with a lil more to get Gagne, but not too much at all. Signing Comrie is still the best option if it's possible.

Comrie+Rita for Gagne+mid-prospect maybe? I dunno.

Just sign the guy, put all this mess behind us.

Old
11-04-2003, 11:06 AM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Quote:
And the hockey knowledge meter hits an unprecidented -45! Thank-you for playing!

Old
11-04-2003, 11:06 AM
Oiltalk

Quote:
Agreed kind of hard without a contract, but if in any way you think he couldn't with a contract in his hands your foolish.

Old
11-04-2003, 11:09 AM
Hemmer

Quote:
Any deal the Flyers would be willing to consider would not include names like Gagne, Williams, and Handzus, but more like Therien, LeClair, Weinrich, and Sami K, alongside with Prospects/Draft Picks.
Therien? We have one. His name is Scott Ferguson. Ours is cheaper too.

LeClair? Edmonton? Yeah...thought so.

Weinrich? He's still in the NHL?

Sami Kapanen? Yeah, he'd be a good Oiler, but not somebody I would want in a deal for Comrie - we have enough wingers as it is.

Prospects and Picks - Lowe has repeatedly stated he wants a top6 forward or a top3 dman for MC - assuming the forward were Kapanen (which I doubt it would be) a solid prospect ala Woywitka would also have to be included.

IMO, these are the Flyers "Untouchables"
Joni Pitkanen
(Short list eh?)

If Lowe had to throw in Rita, a Comrie+Rita+2nd/Jason Chimera for Gagne+Woywitka would be very fair, and certainly plausible.

Old
11-04-2003, 11:10 AM
camboy

Quote:

blah, blah, blah......

Old
11-04-2003, 11:13 AM
Hemmer

Quote:
Why would Clarke trake Gagne for Comrie strait up? I can't think of any good reason.

And the fact that Bobby Clarke is occasionally an idiot is not a good reason
In all honesty, I can't really see a good reason either - it would be a lateral move straight-up. Not impossible, but I have a feeling the deal would need to be more than Comrie for Gagne for it to work for both sides.

Old
11-04-2003, 11:13 AM
blah

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudmouthHemskyfan#1
And the hockey knowledge meter hits an unprecidented -45! Thank-you for playing!
Comrie wouldn't steal a spot from any of the Flyers top 3 Centers. Not happening. I don't care how badly you overrate him. You want to play him on the wing? Amonte, Recchi, Williams, LeClair, Gagne, Kapanen, who is Comrie going to beat out for a spot on either side? Nobody. The only way he gets in the top 9 is if one of them goes in the deal or an injury.

Old
11-04-2003, 11:14 AM
Marconius

Quote:
Hey LMHF, I think this one just toped anything else out there

Old
11-04-2003, 11:14 AM
Oiltalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by camboy
blah, blah, blah......
Makes you wonder why this poster, chose his or her name. :p

Old
11-04-2003, 11:15 AM
Hemmer

Quote:
How did you get to 450 posts without being banned?

Old
11-04-2003, 11:15 AM
s7ark
McDavid!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:

WOW!!! I knew the flyers were a pretty good team, but to have a 4th line guy who can score 30 goals and 60 points. That truely is impressive. Should we just have over the cup now? Man if your 4th line guys are putting up those kind of points you must have the greatest offensive juggernaut the league has ever seen. Kudos to you!

Your top line player must be on pace for 150 points each! Oh wait, how many goals did you guys score again last year?

hmmmm, quite the improvement....

Old
11-04-2003, 11:17 AM
Hemmer

Quote:
Comrie wouldn't steal a spot from any of the Flyers top 3 Centers. Not happening. I don't care how badly you overrate him. You want to play him on the wing? Amonte, Recchi, Williams, LeClair, Gagne, Kapanen, who is Comrie going to beat out for a spot on either side? Nobody. The only way he gets in the top 9 is if one of them goes in the deal or an injury.
Isn't Recchi playing on your 4th line?

Quote:
The only way he gets in the top 9 is if one of them goes in the deal.

Old
11-04-2003, 11:17 AM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marconius
Hey LMHF, I think this one just toped anything else out there
He's holding down the two worst posts ever, must be some kinda record.

I thought I buzzed him outta here, why isn't he gone?

Some of us realize that the Flyers top 9 does not combine for 650 or so points.

Old
11-04-2003, 11:18 AM
Oiltalk

Quote:
Who besides Gagne will net the Flyers 30 goals? Comrie could easily beat out a big stiff in Primeau unless the Flyers are for some reason concerned with it's teams size, although I don't see that.

Old
11-04-2003, 11:18 AM
blah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemmer
Isn't Recchi playing on your 4th line?
Nope, tope line w/ Roenick-Amonte.

Old
11-04-2003, 11:20 AM
blah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oiltalk
Who besides Gagne will net the Flyers 30 goals? Comrie could easily beat out a big stiff in Primeau unless the Flyers are for some reason concerned with it's teams size, although I don't see that.
Primeau wears the C and is their top PK. The centers are set in stone.

Closed Thread