HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Flyers and Sharks taking a look at Comrie.

Closed Thread

Old
11-04-2003, 01:24 PM
blah

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers_guy_eddie
Most of us are trying to figure out where he lost his top-6 potential.

A couple of seasons ago, he looked like the Next Big Thing. He's been stuck in neutral since then.

If they made a movie about him, they could call it "Dude, Where's My Potential?"
I thought he was a decent two way player?

Old
11-04-2003, 01:39 PM
Cerebral

Quote:
Originally Posted by blah
I thought he was a decent two way player?
He is a good two way player.. K-Lowe/MacTavish talked to him during the tryouts and told Jani they invision him as a Lehtinen type of player. Unfortunately, he has yet to have a consistant tryout and has yet to crack the Oilers lineup for a long period of time. He is still very young however and isn't our number two ranked prospect for nothing.

Old
11-04-2003, 01:51 PM
Gags1288

I'm sorry but this deal for Comrie is far-fetched. Why would the Flyers trade a more valuable asset in Gagne for Comrie, when he is holding out? There's more to hockey than offense, you know? Gagne is one of the Flyers best defensive forwards, Comrie is far from good defensively. For the guy who said that Handzus' best defensive year was just a little better than Comrie's, you do know that Zus was a Selke trophy candidate in St. Louis and IMO, should have been one last year (I believe he finished 8th, btw). I just don't see why the flyers would be interested in Comrie when Handzus is showing that he is a top 2 line center and does play the great defense that Hitchcock demands. I believe the only spot for Comrie in Philadelphia would be on the wing and i'm not sure if he's played their. Is he a better player than Primeau? Yes, of course. Is he better defensively and can he shut down other team's top lines? Nope, not a chance. The problem with Comrie is that he must be on one of the top 2 lines and thus far, the Flyers have great chemistry on those lines and I doubt they'd be looking to breat them up. I think it is a hell of a lot more likely that he will end up in San Jose in a deal that involves Sturm than it is that he will end up in Philly. Also, don't expect to get what you deam equal value for comrie. As for Rita, he's a nice prospect, but I don't think the Flyers are too concerned with their prospects. They have much better prospects than a lot of teams, including Edmonton even though they are thin on the wings.

Old
11-04-2003, 01:57 PM
s7ark
TheWorstEver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gags1288
I'm sorry but this deal for Comrie is far-fetched. Why would the Flyers trade a more valuable asset in Gagne for Comrie, when he is holding out? There's more to hockey than offense, you know? Gagne is one of the Flyers best defensive forwards, Comrie is far from good defensively. For the guy who said that Handzus' best defensive year was just a little better than Comrie's, you do know that Zus was a Selke trophy candidate in St. Louis and IMO, should have been one last year (I believe he finished 8th, btw). I just don't see why the flyers would be interested in Comrie when Handzus is showing that he is a top 2 line center and does play the great defense that Hitchcock demands. I believe the only spot for Comrie in Philadelphia would be on the wing and i'm not sure if he's played their. Is he a better player than Primeau? Yes, of course. Is he better defensively and can he shut down other team's top lines? Nope, not a chance. The problem with Comrie is that he must be on one of the top 2 lines and thus far, the Flyers have great chemistry on those lines and I doubt they'd be looking to breat them up. I think it is a hell of a lot more likely that he will end up in San Jose in a deal that involves Sturm than it is that he will end up in Philly. Also, don't expect to get what you deam equal value for comrie. As for Rita, he's a nice prospect, but I don't think the Flyers are too concerned with their prospects. They have much better prospects than a lot of teams, including Edmonton even though they are thin on the wings.

Might want to check again , the Oilers are ranked 7th to the Flyers 13th according to HF anyways...

Old
11-04-2003, 01:57 PM
Marconius

Quote:
I disagree. WHile theres no doubt the Flyers are a stronger team then the Oil (how much stronger could be debatable), I do think the Oilers have one of the deepest prospect groups in the bunch. Trading away all our money players in return fo rdraft picks over the years has given us some serious depth.

Old
11-04-2003, 02:03 PM
Mizral

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark
Might want to check again , the Oilers are ranked 7th to the Flyers 13th according to HF anyways...
All due respect, but those rankings were highly rushed and done by one man on the HF Staff. I think last year's rankings are about as valuable as those are.

While I like the Oilers prospects, if you include Pitkanen on the Flyers side, I would say they quite easily have the better group. But both have a better than average group of kids.

Old
11-04-2003, 02:13 PM
Mizral

Alright, after reading through most of this thread, I'll weight in.

Comrie will be the best talent in any deal involving him. I'm not positive on this, but I'm pretty darn sure.

Handzus is less talented than Comrie, and while I think he is better, it's a matter of debate.

Wasn't isn't a matter of debate is Clarke agreeing to a Handzus to Comrie deal. Hitchcock ADORES Handzus, and he's having a great start to the season.

Nobody wants Primeau. As much Flyers fans love to tout him as a great 3rd line centre (which he is), he has ZILCH value with a $5.5 million dollar contract or whatever it is now.

Gagne could and would be traded by Clarke under the right circumstances. I don't think Comrie is the right circumstances, but I could be wrong here.

Williams is too valuable to the Flyers. That kid is valuable FAR beyond his offensive output. No way the Flyers move him right now, fair value or not.

The Flyers will trade their youth, but not for Comrie unless they are dealing off a centre. Glut of centres in Flyer-ville make this a difficult sell.

Anyhow, I highly doubt the Flyers will get Comrie. I don't think they will be offering half as much as, say, a more desperate squad like LA. There is no doubt in my mind that Clarke offered something that Lowe couldn't accept - like a Seidenberg and a 1st offer for Comrie.

Old
11-04-2003, 02:28 PM
Gags1288

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizral

Comrie will be the best talent in any deal involving him. I'm not positive on this, but I'm pretty darn sure.

Handzus is less talented than Comrie, and while I think he is better, it's a matter of debate.

Wasn't isn't a matter of debate is Clarke agreeing to a Handzus to Comrie deal. Hitchcock ADORES Handzus, and he's having a great start to the season.

Nobody wants Primeau. As much Flyers fans love to tout him as a great 3rd line centre (which he is), he has ZILCH value with a $5.5 million dollar contract or whatever it is now.

Gagne could and would be traded by Clarke under the right circumstances. I don't think Comrie is the right circumstances, but I could be wrong here.

Williams is too valuable to the Flyers. That kid is valuable FAR beyond his offensive output. No way the Flyers move him right now, fair value or not.

The Flyers will trade their youth, but not for Comrie unless they are dealing off a centre. Glut of centres in Flyer-ville make this a difficult sell.

Anyhow, I highly doubt the Flyers will get Comrie. I don't think they will be offering half as much as, say, a more desperate squad like LA. There is no doubt in my mind that Clarke offered something that Lowe couldn't accept - like a Seidenberg and a 1st offer for Comrie.
I agree with everything you said. I think Gagne and Comrie are very similar talents (on the offensive end), but the swap only seems to work from Edmonton's point of view. Also, I'd like to note that the Flyers were ranked 5th in the recent rankings, ahead of Edmonton.

Old
11-04-2003, 02:31 PM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
I agree with everything you said. I think Gagne and Comrie are very similar talents (on the offensive end), but the swap only seems to work from Edmonton's point of view. Also, I'd like to note that the Flyers were ranked 5th in the recent rankings, ahead of Edmonton.
umm... no

Edmonton 7
Philadephia 13...

Not sure where you got 5th from.

Old
11-04-2003, 02:32 PM
Hemmer

Quote:

Good post.

Old
11-04-2003, 02:46 PM
blah

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone
umm... no

Edmonton 7
Philadephia 13...

Not sure where you got 5th from.
http://www.foxsports.com/content/view?contentId=1775600

Old
11-04-2003, 03:00 PM
LawnDemon

foxsports huh? isn't that the same outfit that created the laser puck so americans could follow the game... seems like a reliable, unbiased source to me.

that being said, i think that it is a fairly accurate rating. i'd further suggest that pitkanen alone outweighs everything the oilers have in their system (combined). however, take pitkanen out of the equation and the flyers are not looking so good...

Old
11-04-2003, 03:03 PM
creative giant*

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawnDemon
foxsports huh? isn't that the same outfit that created the laser puck so americans could follow the game... seems like a reliable, unbiased source to me.

that being said, i think that it is a fairly accurate rating. i'd further suggest that pitkanen alone outweighs everything the oilers have in their system (combined). however, take pitkanen out of the equation and the flyers are not looking so good...
Well, it's accurate cause it's done by HF.

So, Fox has done one right thing and handed over the task of covering hockey prospects to HF, and not trying to do it themselves.

Old
11-04-2003, 03:04 PM
elphy101

Quote:

Foxsports is just publishing Hockey's Futures most recent rankings. Philly is 5th, Edm is 9th.

Old
11-04-2003, 03:05 PM
blah

HF contributes to Fox Sports. If you would've looked you would have noticed HF was all over that page.

Oh and Americans can follow the game just fine no need for a laser puck.

Old
11-04-2003, 03:49 PM
Master Lok

Quote:

Miz, we've disagreed before but I'll have to say that yours was a most excellent post. After reading through this thread, I honestly don't see a trade happening with Philly. the Flyers are doing well right now and don't need a shake up in their forward lines and don't NEED a young centre like Comrie (stress NEED). Edmonton does not NEED another young winger like Gagne. Our needs are still another top 4 defenseman or top 2 centreman.

Old
11-04-2003, 04:13 PM
mrs9x

Quote:
i don't agree that comrie doesn't suit the Flyers... frankly, i could see him mentoring very effectively under roenick.

i just had an interesting thought...

EDM (comrie + brewer) -> PHI (gagne + pitkanen)

would that be enough from the oiler side? would we want to do that? (i know i would love to aquire just one more #44 from the flyers blueline)
What crack are you smoking? There is no way that Comrie + Brewer is equal to Gagne and Pitkanen.

OK, Comrie and Gagne are basically equal. But Pitkanen >>>>>> Brewer. Pitkanen isn't going anywhere, so don't waste time putting him in these trade rumors.

Old
11-04-2003, 05:46 PM
Hairball

Quote:
i don't agree that comrie doesn't suit the Flyers... frankly, i could see him mentoring very effectively under roenick.

i just had an interesting thought...

EDM (comrie + brewer) -> PHI (gagne + pitkanen)

would that be enough from the oiler side? would we want to do that? (i know i would love to aquire just one more #44 from the flyers blueline)

Wasn't he #19 when he came here?

Old
11-04-2003, 06:56 PM
Oi'll say!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs9x
What crack are you smoking? There is no way that Comrie + Brewer is equal to Gagne and Pitkanen.

OK, Comrie and Gagne are basically equal. But Pitkanen >>>>>> Brewer.
Pitkanen - 0 nhl games played, 1 major knee surgery
Brewer - 300+ nhl games played, 1 Olympic Gold Medal
mrs9x - bogarting all of the crack on the eastern seaboard

Old
11-04-2003, 07:02 PM
zamboni

Actually Pitkanen has played this year. He has 2 goals...

Old
11-04-2003, 07:30 PM
Toonces
The beer kitty

And 5 assists. He also leads the team in +/- with a +8

If you've seen much of Pitkanen, you would understand why he is untouchable at this point. He makes Niinimaa (the previous #44) look like a minor leaguer.

Old
11-04-2003, 07:42 PM
Oi'll say!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamboni
Actually Pitkanen has played this year. He has 2 goals...

BUSTED!

Anyways, the point still stands. Pitkanen>>>>>>Brewer is = crackfumes>>>>>>>oxygen

Old
11-04-2003, 07:44 PM
MojoJojo

While I agree that Comrie has great talent, his demand for a 4 mil dollar paycheck seriously lowers his trade value. Edmonton is trying to dump salary in a league where budgets are tight everywhere (and the Flyers are no exception), and there is a possible lock out next year. Perhaps the only team that could afford to take on his salary right now is Toronto, and they need defensemen, not another center.

In a salary dump, you will not get full value. period. Handzus, who makes about 1.5 mil a year has considerably higher value because of this. He is not quite as good offensively (but still a solid 25 goal scorer), and of course everyone knows all about his great defensive play, so in terms of their contribution to their team, it might be a wash. Same goes for Gagne. About as good, but younger and cheaper. You will not get either of these players unless you are going to give up a young prospect, or pay some salary, or take on one of our vet D-men like Therien (none of which seems likely).

If you dont like it, then dont trade. We certainly don't need the deal that badly on the Flyers side, since at least our players are all playing.

oh yeah, here are Pitkanens 2 goals:
http://www.philadelphiaflyers.com/si...031029/1465.rm

http://www.philadelphiaflyers.com/si...031018/1442.rm

Old
11-04-2003, 07:48 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

I seriously don't get why all these Flyer fans are in here telling us what Mike Comrie's worth and what kinda player he is and what his contract demands are and what we should want in a deal. I wasn't aware they were such experts on the subject....

Old
11-04-2003, 08:30 PM
Toonces
The beer kitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudmouthHemskyfan#1
I seriously don't get why all these Flyer fans are in here telling us what Mike Comrie's worth and what kinda player he is and what his contract demands are and what we should want in a deal. I wasn't aware they were such experts on the subject....
I wasn't aware that anybody here was claiming to be an expert...

I just don't see any way that both sides could be satisfied by a Comrie for Philly trade. Comrie for Gagne is a lateral move from a Flyers perspective. Lastly, Comrie, as skilled as he may be, is not worth Pitkanen's potential

Closed Thread