HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Can Plekanec get 50 to 60 points?

Old
05-21-2006, 03:27 AM
Mike8

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackett
I think Plekanec can definitly get in the 50 point range. Whether he gets it next year or not is a direct function of his ice time especially on the PP. Quite frankly, I dont see it for next season.

Eventually, he will get there. Its just a question of when his PP time and overall offensive responsibilites elevate. Maybe in 2-3 years.

Here's the thing I love about this kid: Even if he's not scoring, he can still contribute in so many different ways.
Exactly. I believe Plekanec is still underrated. OK, so we have seen he is fundamentally strong and able to beat a bigger Staal in a match-up game five-on five, so because he plays such a mature game we think he's reached his potential. Maybe. I doubt it.

In the playoffs his offensive game looked as it did at times during the season. But throughout the year, he never established a niche role as he did in the playoffs. Down the stretch, the Habs were rolling four lines, which meant he'd get less even-strength ice-time, whereas in the playoffs his line was used with specific purpose--giving him more ice-time. I think we saw enough ups-and-downs throughout the year, finishing with a good 'up' for Plekanec to believe he has very real improvements to make.

I do think Plekanec can be a 50-60 point-getter. I would be surprised if this doesn't happen in the next two seasons; whether he's on the third-line or second-line; wing or center. Doesn't matter. He's got the work ethic and the skill, and he's gained the coaching staff's confidence for that ice-time.

I don't think Plekanec is especially creative, in a Ribeiro or Kovalev sense, where he can make plays that come out of nowhere. But then again: neither is Koivu, and that hasn't prevented Koivu from being a very effective playmaker. Plekanec's passing is not dissimilar from Koivu's in that he makes the play that everyone expects him to make, but his pass is right on the mark so that he makes it happen anyway. He's a real tic-tac-toe, stop-and-go high-octane type of player, and that'll only complement players like Perezhogin who, in combination with Plekanec, will force the opposition to back up a little too much to compensate for their speed.

Longer-term, I don't know how Plekanec will fare. I think he could very well reach a limit of 50-60 points, provide strong fundamentals and be a key cog in his team's (hopefully Montreal) success. Or he could be a bit more than that, and score at a higher clip and be a Koivu-esque type of player (though healthy). We haven't seen him be particularly fiery or combative in the NHL yet, but those that have watched him prior to this season know that he has that combative nature as well. Hopefully it develops on the NHL level.

In short: I like Plekanec. I think he'll be as valuable, if not more valuable, than any other young player on the team or in the system for Montreal.

Mike8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2006, 06:59 AM
Teufelsdreck

I've always been a firm suporter of Plekanec. Where and how he's used is up to the coaches, but he belongs on this team and should remain for years to come. Right now, he does things no other Habs center can do quite as well.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2006, 03:11 PM
Sthabs

I like Plek cause he s a hard working guy with a lot of skills and showed lot of great things for a rookie season.
The problem is that if he s our #2 center, we re in trouble right from the beginning just because u don t put a guy starting his second year in a regular 2nd C spot
not if you re going for the cup...that s why we need a UFA
That would also put Plek in a hard position....just let him develop as a good 3rd line center, it s only gonna be his 2nd year.....
If we do get that Ufa then ribs is not needed anymore....

Well i also think that we need 3 top scoring lines and 1 D/energy line in B-B-murray/ ferland?
So placing Plek as a 3rd C would give us the best of both world, Attacking most of the nights and D some other nights if the 4th D/Energy need helps against the 1st/2nd oppsoing team line

Sthabs is offline   Reply With Quote