HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

is there such thing as contender anymore?

Old
05-19-2006, 06:01 PM
Habs4ever

vCash: 500
is there such thing as contender anymore?

Just look at the last four teams left, and this isn't by accident this has been happenning for last few years.

And ottawa senators proved that having all the ingrediants isn't enough, hell philly, leafs and many other playoff contenders have constantly chocked in playoff!!

so guys don't discount team based on talent!!

beggining of the season carolina and Buffalo were pegged as lottery draft pick teams look what happened there!!

Best ingrediant so far seems to be give young players chance and put out great goaltending, talent seems to follow after that, Anaheim started their run after trading their two top players, imagine that!! So its no longer about talent.

For me I see goaltening as the only ingrediant taking teams far into playoff, no matter how good of a roster team has, other team will usually win as long as goalie outburst like we have seen last few years!!

And there seems to be no exact science in building great team either, Philly, senators had very good talent going in but it didn't payoff, its all about who wants it more now!!

And under rated teams seems to be outplaying so called contenders!!

Habs4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2006, 06:07 PM
jcpenny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs4ever
Just look at the last four teams left, and this isn't by accident this has been happenning for last few years.

And ottawa senators proved that having all the ingrediants isn't enough, hell philly, leafs and many other playoff contenders have constantly chocked in playoff!!

so guys don't discount team based on talent!!

beggining of the season carolina and Buffalo were pegged as lottery draft pick teams look what happened there!!

Best ingrediant so far seems to be give young players chance and put out great goaltending, talent seems to follow after that, Anaheim started their run after trading their two top players, imagine that!! So its no longer about talent.

For me I see goaltening as the only ingrediant taking teams far into playoff, no matter how good of a roster team has, other team will usually win as long as goalie outburst like we have seen last few years!!

And there seems to be no exact science in building great team either, Philly, senators had very good talent going in but it didn't payoff, its all about who wants it more now!!

And under rated teams seems to be outplaying so called contenders!!
It was a transition year with the new rules, new playoffs so i think that evrything should back to normal next year.

jcpenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2006, 06:24 PM
Habs4ever

two years ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcpenny
It was a transition year with the new rules, new playoffs so i think that evrything should back to normal next year.

tampa vs calgary both surprise teams, before New jercy vs Anaheim another surprise, you get the trend my friend!!

I know there was big stretch where Detroit and colorado dominated with strong roster but now its no longer about talent!!

Just look at regular season and now playoff, you can't possible say that all this so called contnders were caught off guard in their sleep!!
I know fans always preach about teams talent and now your excuse of new rules, but in new NHL we seem to be getting new tactics that GM's have to learn!!

And going young seems to be name of the game, it pays big dividends now then before to put young balance roster!!

Gm's usually observe and learn from playoffs and This year has marked new era for hockey approach...

Habs4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2006, 06:26 PM
sXe
Yuuuuuup!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcpenny
The contenders like Ottawa, Detroit and even Buffalo will have to shell out big bucks to keep their players and the cap will mean they most probably can't.

Parity is the name of the game now, obviously contenders will emerge every year but saying a team is a contender "on paper" wil be harder and harder to do.

sXe is offline   Reply With Quote