Notices

I'm sick of the Thornton bashing.

Closed Thread

Old
11-04-2003, 06:19 AM
hockeyfanKW

vCash: 500
I'm sick of the Thornton bashing.

I'm sick and tired of hearing all of the Thornton bashing on this board.

G.M.'s, players, fans on every other team would give their left marble for a player like Thornton.

Yes, he's been complaining about the officiating and taking some ill-advised penalties but he is the leader of this team - like it or not.

I would rather he get his frustration out now than in Game 5 of a playoff series (where they wouldn't call his retaliation anyways).

We finally get a bonafide superstar after all these years, and I hear more whining on this board in one week than Thornton has done in his whole career.

He's trying to make some 'Gordie Howe' space for himself out there and taking abuse every game. Would you rather him DIVE and take penalties?

Jeez.

Old
11-04-2003, 06:35 AM
cobrak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizzo
I'm sick and tired of hearing all of the Thornton bashing on this board.

G.M.'s, players, fans on every other team would give their left marble for a player like Thornton.

Yes, he's been complaining about the officiating and taking some ill-advised penalties but he is the leader of this team - like it or not.

I would rather he get his frustration out now than in Game 5 of a playoff series (where they wouldn't call his retaliation anyways).

We finally get a bonafide superstar after all these years, and I hear more whining on this board in one week than Thornton has done in his whole career.

He's trying to make some 'Gordie Howe' space for himself out there and taking abuse every game. Would you rather him DIVE and take penalties?

Jeez.

Here Here! I completely agree! While we are all whining about Big joes performance he is getting recognition from the rest of the league for his excellent play.
http://nhl.com/onthefly/news/2003/11/167590.html
Lets give our captain a chance and see what happens

Old
11-04-2003, 07:05 AM
misterjaggers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizzo
[Thornton's] trying to make some 'Gordie Howe' space for himself out there and taking abuse every game. Would you rather him DIVE and take penalties?
I wish it wasn't so, but with the current sorry state of officiating, the team would be best served if Joe would borrow a page from Forsberg's gamebook and fall down more often.

The refs only seem capable of calling the most blatant fouls (that a blind man couldn't miss) and anything remotely resembling retaliation.

Old
11-04-2003, 07:18 AM
Eat It

I agree Gizzo. I think some of us fans get frustrated with big joe because his potential is unlimited. He has everything he needs to be the most dominant player in the league for the next 10 years. Many of us expect him to be just that, right now and every shift, but alas, he's still only developing his game.

This is his team and how goes joe go the Bruins. I get the feeling that after any consecutive losses Joe will be blamed. However, he is the captain, and it is his responsibility to take the brunt of responsibility for the teams poor showings.

Old
11-04-2003, 08:12 AM
bwunderlich

when folks complain, i've never REALLY felt it was all about thornton, the "C". to me, it seems more like frustration by association. and for some reason, a 24 year old kid with a "C" on his jersey is the scapegoat

the most frustrating thing about being a bruins fan for me from say the year buffalo beat us and went to the finals is this: i don't see the bruins outworking, outhustling, outgrinding, outhitting their opponents and stepping on their opponents necks and not letting up when its 6-0. the lollygagging effort the past two games (I think I blew a gasket over the lack of effort against the HABS . . . of all teams) is symptomatic of a dis-ease thats been here too long, through way too many different coaches and players.

---------------------
as an aside, remember this about last year. when the officials cracked down on obstruction and called 12+ penalties a game, the bruins were 19-4 and the devils were 6th-8th in the conference. when the officials resorted to the cues from owners and bettman and went back to old habits . . . well, this team isn't built to fight through trapping and clutching.

i've thought for the past year about a thread (if i have time, i'll cut this there) hypothesizing (YES, i'm a conspiracy theorist) that bettman and company intentionally watered down the league with the expansionites, thereby lessoning the quality of player in the NHL and then systematically watered down the game by almost eliminating fighting and slowing the game down to a crawl by encouraging plumbers to trap and grab, allow goalies to wear inflatable suits which reduces scoring - hoping to lower salaries and drive fans (and tv viewers) away so owners can cry poverty.

personally, i'll wait as long as it takes for the CBA to be ratified if WE, the fans, get the game back we grew up with in the 70's-80's and early 90's. for those too young to remember, the nhl used to be the fastest, meanest, coolest game on earth where rivalries were everything and you couldn't sleep the night before a Habs game. where retaliation was swift - and usually just. where an entire building (home or visitors) would go "oh-ah-wow!" when an Orr, great one, or lemieux (or cam) would take over a game. (I WILL NEVER FORGET THE LOOK ON GRANDPA'S FACE AT MSG WATCHING ORR - is there a smiley that is a combination of ).

with Dire Straits "Money For Nothing" in the background - "I want my, I want my NHL!"

Closed Thread