HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Some thoughts on the Oilers in a Hab fan point of view.

Old
05-19-2006, 10:02 PM
JordanStaal#1Fan

vCash: 1012
Some thoughts on the Oilers in a Hab fan point of view.

I watched pretty much every playoff games the Oilers played this year and I observed a few thing that made me envious of their team. When I watch guys like Smyth, Peca and Horcoff sacrificing their bodies blocking pucks, then skating full speed in the other end and hit a d-man take the puck and create chances I cannot not think of Zednik, Bulis and Sundstrom being *******.

My point is: We probably have more talent then the Oilers have (we have no Pronger but still) and what we clearly lack is forecheck and puck blocking. Hell they even get Samsonov to block shots! During the playoffs we had no forecheck and that's why we lost. I mean have you seen the Horcoff goal the other night? This goal was PURE forecheck. Smyth goes in the corner hit a guy, dig the puck out than the other d-man comes on him and Harvey comes it the d-man, take the puck and pass the puck to Horcoff who scores the assurance goal. Have you seen anykind of plays like that ALL season long by the Habs? I remember one and it is the game winner in overtime in game 2 against Carolina. Koivu (he plays like all the oilers are now ) went in the corner pass it to Higgins who pass it to Ryder who scores.

With Carbonneau and Gainey in charge I have faith that Ribeiro, Zednik, Bulis and Sundstrom won't be kept and that with the speed we have, the Habs will be able to play a similar game then Edmonton and have playoff success. I just think that they have the perfect recipe and enjoyed every of their game. They are a team, they play like one and EVERYBODY is contributing. That is the way hockey should be played: with speed, talent, forechecking, backchecking and a big dose of HEART!

JordanStaal#1Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2006, 10:46 PM
znk

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanyHeatley#1Fan
I watched pretty much every playoff games the Oilers played this year and I observed a few thing that made me envious of their team. When I watch guys like Smyth, Peca and Horcoff sacrificing their bodies blocking pucks, then skating full speed in the other end and hit a d-man take the puck and create chances I cannot not think of Zednik, Bulis and Sundstrom being *******.

My point is: We probably have more talent then the Oilers have (we have no Pronger but still) and what we clearly lack is forecheck and puck blocking. Hell they even get Samsonov to block shots! During the playoffs we had no forecheck and that's why we lost. I mean have you seen the Horcoff goal the other night? This goal was PURE forecheck. Smyth goes in the corner hit a guy, dig the puck out than the other d-man comes on him and Harvey comes it the d-man, take the puck and pass the puck to Horcoff who scores the assurance goal. Have you seen anykind of plays like that ALL season long by the Habs? I remember one and it is the game winner in overtime in game 2 against Carolina. Koivu (he plays like all the oilers are now ) went in the corner pass it to Higgins who pass it to Ryder who scores.

With Carbonneau and Gainey in charge I have faith that Ribeiro, Zednik, Bulis and Sundstrom won't be kept and that with the speed we have, the Habs will be able to play a similar game then Edmonton and have playoff success. I just think that they have the perfect recipe and enjoyed every of their game. They are a team, they play like one and EVERYBODY is contributing. That is the way hockey should be played: with speed, talent, forechecking, backchecking and a big dose of HEART!
I know where you are going but...we have our share of players who do that...and they have their share of players who dont. You cant just compare peca to sundstrom.....we have guys like Begin, Murray, Koivu, Higgins who sacrifice their body. We need lets say 1 or 2 more of those. I think you are seeing only what you want from the oilers. They had these periods where they only got 2 shots on goal. We just need a Ryan Smith type player and it would be pretty much the same.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2006, 10:54 PM
JordanStaal#1Fan

vCash: 1012
I agree with you but if they get SAMSONOV to dive in front of shots it means something. Bégin, Saku, Murray, Higgins, Komisarek, Rivet and Souray are great but unlike the Oilers we have guys like Ribeiro, Zednik (not true until to year...), Bulis, and Sundstrom who are total wimps and/or primadonas (RIBEIRO!). Name me one player on the Oilers who hasn't give it all in the playoffs. Ales Hemsky in the beginning maybe but he pick it up and scored alot of important goals.

EDIT: I saw those periods in which they had only two shots on goals but hey, they played much of those periods in the PK and god they did a great job, they even got some SH goals. They're not dominating anybody out there they are just playing efficient and intelligent hockey.

JordanStaal#1Fan is offline   Reply With Quote