HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

1984 Playoff run!

Old
05-18-2006, 02:23 PM
Brett38

vCash: 500
1984 Playoff run!

Do you all remember this run?

We beat Boston and Quebec with the play of Steve Penney in net. We lost in six to the Islanders who lost to the Oilers in the Finals. We were leading the Islanders, but eventually bowed out.

It was a great playoff run after several years of exiting in the first round.

Brett38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2006, 02:35 PM
AH

I was at one of the games of the Isles series at The Forum. I was just entering my teens and the reason I remember that game so well was that a puck fired at the net deflected over the glass and hit the guy sitting right behind me in the forehead. That puck missed my face by less than a foot. I would have been dead.

Thank God for that netting they have now.

By the way we lost the Isles series after being up 2-0. Mats Naslund missed penalty shot in game 4 was the turning point.

AH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2006, 02:42 PM
Brett38

Quote:
Originally Posted by AH
I was at one of the games of the Isles series at The Forum. I was just entering my teens and the reason I remember that game so well was that a puck fired at the net deflected over the glass and hit the guy sitting right behind me in the forehead. That puck missed my face by less than a foot. I would have been dead.

By the way we lost the Isles series after being up 2-0. Mats Naslund missed penalty shot in game 4 was the turning point.

I remember. I was...ummmmmm 19 years old!!

Old
05-18-2006, 02:44 PM
Habsruleen

I was 9. I do remember watching that run on tv and thinking Penney was the bomb! The Islanders were too good for us back then though (once they won a game you kinda had a sense that they'd come back to win, kinda like this year ) if it wasn't for Penney there is no way we would have gone to the 3rd round.

Habsruleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2006, 02:51 PM
Brett38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsruleen
I was 9. I do remember watching that run on tv and thinking Penney was the bomb! The Islanders were too good for us back then though (once they won a game you kinda had a sense that they'd come back to win, kinda like this year ) if it wasn't for Penney there is no way we would have gone to the 3rd round.
I hope Huet doesn't turn out to be a "Penney". A "dollar" wouldn't be too bad...haaa!

okay, okay...that was sad!

Old
05-18-2006, 03:30 PM
mcphee

There was a scrum after G2 and Richard Sevigny thought it would be smart to fight Billy Smith. Smith pounded Sevigny and didn't let much by afterwards.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2006, 03:50 PM
Habsruleen

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee
There was a scrum after G2 and Richard Sevigny thought it would be smart to fight Billy Smith. Smith pounded Sevigny and didn't let much by afterwards.
Really? I don't remember that. Wasn't Sevigny on the bench? Did he come off the bench to fight him?

Old
05-18-2006, 03:54 PM
vipergtsr404

Send a message via MSN to vipergtsr404
I lost 20 bucks in that series the guy who bet me took it after we were leading the series

I have never ever bet another dollar on the habs in the playoffs ever again.

I'm sorry for jinxin us that year

vipergtsr404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2006, 04:05 PM
tinyzombies

That was all Jacques Lemaire. We tried to trap the 4-time Stanley Cup champs and it almost worked! The Islanders were too tough and gritty with too much experience though.

I remember Penney stopping shots with his skate blade, his helmet, the shaft of his stick, his shoelaces...one of hte luckiest goalies ever

tinyzombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2006, 04:12 PM
Capitano

Now we're talking...one of the biggest reasons I started following the habs when I was a kid. I was 8.

Cap

Capitano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2006, 04:22 PM
Brett38

Jacque Lemaire took this team to the third round on defence, a hot goalie and timely goals. He almost ruined Lafluers career. He wanted Guy to be more of a defensive player. Guy was Guy. Anyway, they did a great job that year.

Old
05-18-2006, 04:38 PM
5 man unit

IIRC we clinched the Boston series with a 5-0 win.

5 man unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2006, 04:43 PM
Gros Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by AH

Wow, talk about a souvenir! An 8 inch scar in your face. Can you imagine telling people "Yup, that was a Guy Lafleur slap-shot"? That would be soooo cool.

As for the '84 run, all I remember is Steve Penney. And the fact that we didn't win the Cup that year.

Gros Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2006, 04:50 PM
Habsruleen

Was 1984 the year that we beat Boston and Jay Miller got ejected, and as he walked to the dressing room he kicked the door in and fell on his *** on national tv? That was awesome.

Old
05-18-2006, 04:58 PM
Rather Gingerly 1*

That was a great playoff year. Remember the Good Friday Massacre and the downtown party afterwards? Similar to the city of Edmonton the other night.

That game had to be the best comeback in Habs playoff history

Rather Gingerly 1* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2006, 06:40 PM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsruleen
Really? I don't remember that. Wasn't Sevigny on the bench? Did he come off the bench to fight him?
It was after the game. They didn't police them in that way then, they'd just gravitate to anything going on.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2006, 12:13 PM
Jyroe Habs Fan

One of the best playoff runs in my memory,why? We were bad in the playoffs for the past 4 years. We were the Cinderella story for once and our goalie was "Pennies from Heaven"
God damn Islanders, I ramped up my hatred for them 100000 times after that series.
Trottier was a chicken **** with that hit from behind on Gainey and Billy Smith I could have killed through my tv.
We whipped Boston who was heavily favoured
We beat up the Nords in the Good Friday Massacre.
Great Times had by all.

Jyroe Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2006, 01:49 PM
Brett38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyroe Habs Fan
One of the best playoff runs in my memory,why? We were bad in the playoffs for the past 4 years. We were the Cinderella story for once and our goalie was "Pennies from Heaven"
God damn Islanders, I ramped up my hatred for them 100000 times after that series.
Trottier was a chicken **** with that hit from behind on Gainey and Billy Smith I could have killed through my tv.
We whipped Boston who was heavily favoured
We beat up the Nords in the Good Friday Massacre.
Great Times had by all.

I hear you!!

Old
05-19-2006, 08:43 PM
V-2 Schneider

We had the Islanders, then Trottier cheapshoted Gainey and knocked him cold.I'm not sure if that hit caused his second shoulder dislocation, but he was done after that.He added so much grit to the lineup that it was the equivalent to losing Koivu this year.

It didn't help that Naslund missed a penalty shot.He always deked to the backhand, time after time, and did it again.The team sagged after that.

I still get a chuckle about Lemaire ruining Lafleur in 1984.Guy stopped going to the high slot, and his shot was a mess.The man never changed his game as his skills diminished and he lost a step.He wasn't the same after ripping up his knee in 1980,but it's not easy to deal an icon.

The hab team of that period was built for defense, and physical play.They didn't have enough scoring depth to freewheel,but they could sure lay on a beating against any team around.If they had found a worthy replacement for Dryden in the early '80's, they could have emulated the team from the early 60's era,but it was also the Grundman regime.

V-2 Schneider is offline   Reply With Quote