HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Domi, Nolan - Offers?

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-04-2003, 07:23 AM
  #1
MCP
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 41
vCash: 500
Domi, Nolan - Offers?

Yes I know I'm inviting the sracastic crap responce. But rumour has it they're available..

Would any team SERIOUSLY be interested in either (and no, I don't want to hear "Domi is overpaid" or "Nolan has a bad back".

MCP is offline  
Old
11-04-2003, 07:32 AM
  #2
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****
 
NFITO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 27,857
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCP
(and no, I don't want to hear "Domi is overpaid" or "Nolan has a bad back".
okay... how about "Nolan is overpaid, and Domi is bad"???

Seriously though... I doubt that you get much for either one of those two at this point (although as the season moves on and supposed contenders run into problems, there could be a market for them then).

But Nolan has a high contract, and injury concerns... plus, isn't his contract one of the few (or only) that was doctored to pay him out during a lockout?? his production is also down... but mainly because he still holds a $7+mill contract (I believe) in the last season under the current CBA, I think that most teams would avoid adding that to their payroll.

Domi, I can't see any team being interested in... he's an overpaid 4th line enforcer, and no team right now is really looking for one - and with Domi, it's also the whole "too much blue in white" factor, where he might not be close to even the same Domi on another team.

NFITO is online now  
Old
11-04-2003, 07:38 AM
  #3
Shark Attack
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 413
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCP
Yes I know I'm inviting the sracastic crap responce. But rumour has it they're available..

Would any team SERIOUSLY be interested in either (and no, I don't want to hear "Domi is overpaid" or "Nolan has a bad back".
Realistically, Domi is a 4th line player making about $2M a season. Too much in this day and age. He has stated he would retire if dealt so he has absolutely no trade value.

For Nolan, see my avatar, he will be paid $6.5M next year or the following year if there is a strike/lockout whatever. He has had various injuries with his back, groin and shoulder the past 4 years. Because of his decline in production and current salary, his trade value is not very high. The only chance of dealing him would be if Toronto wants to take on salary (Jagr) or it Toronto picks up part of his salary.

Will either be dealt, probably not.

CHomp, CHomp (this is what we did before Avatars)

Shark Attack is offline  
Old
11-04-2003, 07:43 AM
  #4
txpd
Registered User
 
txpd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 40,162
vCash: 500
Domi has said that he will only play in Toronto. Trading him seems kind of dodgy then. Jagr for Domi. if Domi quits, its ok.

txpd is offline  
Old
11-04-2003, 08:21 AM
  #5
ACC1224
Burke was right.
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 28,127
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd
Domi has said that he will only play in Toronto. Trading him seems kind of dodgy then. Jagr for Domi. if Domi quits, its ok.
He'll play where ever he's traded to...he can't have that much money to walk away, he's just bluffing....although I don't think there will be too many teams looking for him.

ACC1224 is offline  
Old
11-04-2003, 08:39 AM
  #6
MOOSE55
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: BARRIE, ONT
Country: Canada
Posts: 740
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to MOOSE55
Nolan wouldn't be worth much until he gets outta the scoring slump

MOOSE55 is offline  
Old
11-04-2003, 08:49 AM
  #7
Dr Love
Registered User
 
Dr Love's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Location, Location!
Posts: 20,378
vCash: 500
Nolan could very well pass through waivers. His contract coupled with his lack of production is a big red flag. Leafs are going to have to bite the bullet on this one, nobody that is a buyer is buying these days. CuJo remains a Red Wing, LeClair a Flyer, Jagr a Cap, Guerin a Star.

Dr Love is offline  
Old
11-04-2003, 08:57 AM
  #8
Motown Beatdown
Need a slump buster
 
Motown Beatdown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Indianapolis
Country: United States
Posts: 8,554
vCash: 450
I'd like to have Domi on the Wings. Only if the Leafs take Devereaux.

Motown Beatdown is offline  
Old
11-04-2003, 09:09 AM
  #9
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****
 
NFITO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 27,857
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Love
Nolan could very well pass through waivers. His contract coupled with his lack of production is a big red flag. Leafs are going to have to bite the bullet on this one, nobody that is a buyer is buying these days. CuJo remains a Red Wing, LeClair a Flyer, Jagr a Cap, Guerin a Star.
I agree... this is why I think that if the Leafs want to move Nolan, they'd have to pick up a salary dump in the process... aren't going to trade Nolan for a solution without question marks.

if they're interested in picking up more salary though, a guy like Nolan might be a good trade off...

Jagr for Nolan for example - Washington moves a bigger, longer term deal basically, and has to take some salary back - and the Leafs should be able to afford adding Jagr (although not sure why they'd need him with Mogilny already an excellent #1 right winger).

how about Nolan straight up for Leclair?

aren't going to do much better than getting a guy with a high salary that another team wants to move - for a high salary guy that you want to move, not with the current situation with the CBA uncertainty.

NFITO is online now  
Old
11-04-2003, 09:48 AM
  #10
Teezax
Registered User
 
Teezax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,352
vCash: 500
Considering the vast improvement these two guys would get my team, I'd be willing, yet hesitant, to give up a box of corn starch and a pair of old brown socks with a hole for each big toe.

Teezax is online now  
Old
11-04-2003, 10:47 AM
  #11
mrs9x
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Charlottesville, VA
Posts: 138
vCash: 500
Leafs crap

Why is it that every year the Leafs are trying to pawn off crap on some other team? And, of course, Leafs fans always overrate their own players.

mrs9x is offline  
Old
11-04-2003, 10:51 AM
  #12
ACC1224
Burke was right.
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 28,127
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs9x
Why is it that every year the Leafs are trying to pawn off crap on some other team? And, of course, Leafs fans always overrate their own players.
and why is it that idiots always generalize?

ACC1224 is offline  
Old
11-04-2003, 10:54 AM
  #13
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****
 
NFITO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 27,857
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACC1224
and why is it that idiots always generalize?
isn't it a generalization to say that idiots always generalize??

and if so, wouldn't that make you an idiot

NFITO is online now  
Old
11-04-2003, 10:57 AM
  #14
Volcanologist
Spark up a Dubas
 
Volcanologist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Kessel Apocalypse
Country: Germany
Posts: 20,457
vCash: 500
I'd do Jagr for Nolan.

I don't think MLSE would, though.

Volcanologist is online now  
Old
11-04-2003, 10:57 AM
  #15
ACC1224
Burke was right.
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 28,127
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckfan in TO
isn't it a generalization to say that idiots always generalize??

and if so, wouldn't that make you an idiot
I didn't think anyone here would be sharp enough to catch that....

ACC1224 is offline  
Old
11-04-2003, 11:11 AM
  #16
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****
 
NFITO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 27,857
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PepNCheese
I'd do Jagr for Nolan.

I don't think MLSE would, though.
forget MLSE, if a proposal like that came up, I doubt that Ferguson even takes it to MLSE... it doesn't really make much sense for the Leafs to do it.

granted Jagr is still a great player, he doesn't address the real concerns for the Leafs... Mogilny is already there - a scoring right winger to play on your top line... good/great teams aren't the ones that necessarily have the most good/great players, but are the ones that are the most complete teams.

I'd look for a salary dump on a dman, if you need to move Nolan for a salary dump... not sure at all who might be available - but if there are any dman making $6+ mill on teams that aren't likely to be making the playoffs and looking for a shakeup, it'd be a good start.

acquiring Jagr for any team right now though would be a mistake... they'd be locked into his contract for several years after the new CBA... I would imagine that Nolan's value right now is probably even higher than Jagr's just because of the contract.... his value is probably closer to Yashin's - as both have contracts that could really hurt the flexibility of their respective teams.

so who does that leave us with as a good fit for a deal around Nolan??

most teams are going to be out just because of salary... there are few teams that could probably even trade for that contract - and many of those don't need Nolan....

Detroit, Colorado, Dallas*, Rangers, St. Louis*, Flyers...

* teams already either cutting salary, or suggesting they won't be picking up any more...

so then the options aren't many beyond that... Detroit and Colorado have other weaknesses, and don't really need a right winger... the Rangers still have Bure's contract (still$2mill after insurance), and Carter and Kovalev on the right wing... the Flyers wouldn't be taking on Nolan unless they could at least get rid of Leclair (but this could be an interesting swap for both teams)... and the Blues and Stars don't want to add payroll, and don't have much in the way of a salary dump for Nolan.

In the end, I think that Nolan will be finishing his current contract (and maybe his career) as a Leaf.

NFITO is online now  
Old
11-04-2003, 11:38 AM
  #17
Poignant Discussion
I tell it like it is
 
Poignant Discussion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Gatineau, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,757
vCash: 1400
Send a message via MSN to Poignant Discussion Send a message via Yahoo to Poignant Discussion
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs9x
Why is it that every year the Leafs are trying to pawn off crap on some other team? And, of course, Leafs fans always overrate their own players.

lmfao @ Nolan being crap

Get a grip leaf hater

Poignant Discussion is offline  
Old
11-04-2003, 11:39 AM
  #18
Poignant Discussion
I tell it like it is
 
Poignant Discussion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Gatineau, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,757
vCash: 1400
Send a message via MSN to Poignant Discussion Send a message via Yahoo to Poignant Discussion
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckfan in TO
forget MLSE, if a proposal like that came up, I doubt that Ferguson even takes it to MLSE... it doesn't really make much sense for the Leafs to do it.

granted Jagr is still a great player, he doesn't address the real concerns for the Leafs... Mogilny is already there - a scoring right winger to play on your top line... good/great teams aren't the ones that necessarily have the most good/great players, but are the ones that are the most complete teams.

I'd look for a salary dump on a dman, if you need to move Nolan for a salary dump... not sure at all who might be available - but if there are any dman making $6+ mill on teams that aren't likely to be making the playoffs and looking for a shakeup, it'd be a good start.

acquiring Jagr for any team right now though would be a mistake... they'd be locked into his contract for several years after the new CBA... I would imagine that Nolan's value right now is probably even higher than Jagr's just because of the contract.... his value is probably closer to Yashin's - as both have contracts that could really hurt the flexibility of their respective teams.

so who does that leave us with as a good fit for a deal around Nolan??

most teams are going to be out just because of salary... there are few teams that could probably even trade for that contract - and many of those don't need Nolan....

Detroit, Colorado, Dallas*, Rangers, St. Louis*, Flyers...

* teams already either cutting salary, or suggesting they won't be picking up any more...

so then the options aren't many beyond that... Detroit and Colorado have other weaknesses, and don't really need a right winger... the Rangers still have Bure's contract (still$2mill after insurance), and Carter and Kovalev on the right wing... the Flyers wouldn't be taking on Nolan unless they could at least get rid of Leclair (but this could be an interesting swap for both teams)... and the Blues and Stars don't want to add payroll, and don't have much in the way of a salary dump for Nolan.

In the end, I think that Nolan will be finishing his current contract (and maybe his career) as a Leaf.
Ya know Nuck you need to stop making posts. I'm starting to think all Canuck fans aren't idiots now. And thats a bad thing :-)

Poignant Discussion is offline  
Old
11-04-2003, 11:40 AM
  #19
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****
 
NFITO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 27,857
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotTheRat
hasn't Holland gone on the record as saying Detroit CANNOT add more payroll?
not sure... but that might be in reference to having to keep Cujo and his $8mill/yr contract as well...

and with all the injuries they're going through, they might yet add to get that Cup one last time before the new CBA kicks in.

NFITO is online now  
Old
11-04-2003, 11:44 AM
  #20
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****
 
NFITO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 27,857
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NataSatan666
Ya know Nuck you need to stop making posts. I'm starting to think all Canuck fans aren't idiots now. And thats a bad thing :-)
thanks... I think.

don't worry though, we have a back to back coming up against the Leafs soon, so you'll be seeing the idiot in me soon enough

NFITO is online now  
Old
11-04-2003, 12:53 PM
  #21
Pinto
Burn Them All
 
Pinto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Hagersville, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,304
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckfan in TO
thanks... I think.

don't worry though, we have a back to back coming up against the Leafs soon, so you'll be seeing the idiot in me soon enough
cant wait

Pinto is offline  
Old
11-04-2003, 12:56 PM
  #22
LightningFast
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Country: North Korea
Posts: 304
vCash: 500
...

Let's put it this way, the Leafs would never get close to the same package they sent to San Jose (Alyn Mccauley, Brad Boyes and 1st rounder Steve Bernier) .

LightningFast is offline  
Old
11-04-2003, 01:03 PM
  #23
leaflover
New hope
 
leaflover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: beautiful B.C
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,910
vCash: 4850
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckfan in TO
thanks... I think.

don't worry though, we have a back to back coming up against the Leafs soon, so you'll be seeing the idiot in me soon enough
Good one Nuck

leaflover is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:25 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.