HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Henrich rated worst pick of 1998

Closed Thread

Old
11-04-2003, 08:17 AM
Bignasti

vCash: 500
Henrich rated worst pick of 1998

http://www.forecaster.ca/aolcanada/h...s.cgi?notebook

Hard to argue. That he was picked right after Tanguay who is leading the league in scoring makes it hurt that much more! not to mention ahead of Gomez, Gagne, Regehr, etc..

Old
11-04-2003, 08:47 AM
elphy101

Geez, after reading that listing, I can see why. Almost everyone that was drafted in the first round of that draft has panned out. Look at all the different players the Oilers could have had if they hadn't taken Henrich. Regehr, Kalinin, Fisher or Van Ryn would sure look good about now.

Old
11-04-2003, 09:10 AM
Digger12

As solid as that draft was, it was a terrible draft for goalies. None of the goalies drafted have done much of anything at the NHL level as of yet.

The thing I remember about Henrich during that draft was that he was expected to go even higher than he did, I think in the Hockey News draft preview he was rated #6 or something...most people were surprised he drifted out of the top 10, but even then there were rumblings that his attitude wasn't the best.

That being said, he DID have a strong game against the baby Leafs.

Old
11-04-2003, 12:55 PM
Slats432

The Oilers are going to have to start calling the Psychic alliance before drafting each year.

Aside from Hemsky...it has still been long and lean with our first rounder...

Old
11-04-2003, 12:56 PM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger12
5 years later, I am sure the Oilers brass are absolutely loving it

Old
11-04-2003, 01:31 PM
Digger12

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone
5 years later, I am sure the Oilers brass are absolutely loving it
No doubt.

Old
11-04-2003, 05:05 PM
Oi'll say!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger12
Wicked! Maybe we can trade him for Tanguay? :p

Old
11-04-2003, 05:30 PM
outKast*

Funny how good our draft picks were supposed to be.

Michael Henrich was supposedly the next Alexei Kovalev with more speed and more physical.

Jason Bonsignore was supposed to be the next Mario Lemieux. hmmmm...The same Mario Lemieux who scored 199 points in one season?

i don't even know why we chose Steve Kelly but that obiously didnt work out so well.

Henrich still has a chance to be a good 3rd or 4th liner if he has the heart for it...

Old
11-04-2003, 05:37 PM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oi'll say!
Wicked! Maybe we can trade him for Tanguay? :p
Are you kidding? I hope you're joking! Are you being sarcastic? There is NO way that deal is done!!! I mean if they were to trade Tanguay for Henrich then the Avs would have to ATLEAST throw in Skoula and Morris!

Old
11-04-2003, 05:38 PM
Oi'll say!

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilflip
Funny how good our draft picks were supposed to be.

Michael Henrich was supposedly the next Alexei Kovalev with more speed and more physical.

Jason Bonsignore was supposed to be the next Mario Lemieux. hmmmm...The same Mario Lemieux who scored 199 points in one season?

i don't even know why we chose Steve Kelly but that obiously didnt work out so well.

Henrich still has a chance to be a good 3rd or 4th liner if he has the heart for it...
That's not good news for Niinimaki, being compared to Floppa and all.

Then again, he did go about 45 spots early in the draft, what's the verdict on this one?

Old
11-04-2003, 08:35 PM
GorillazXL

Quote:
Originally Posted by thome_26
Are you kidding? I hope you're joking! Are you being sarcastic? There is NO way that deal is done!!! I mean if they were to trade Tanguay for Henrich then the Avs would have to ATLEAST throw in Skoula and Morris!
I think you're under valueing our players throw in Forsberg and we'll talk.

GXL

Old
11-04-2003, 08:53 PM
Walsher

Drafts are easy to do with a crystal ball. Luck is huge. Who knew Bonsignore, Kelly, Henrich, etc would flop. It is not a guarantee. look at Daigle, you don't know what you are going to get. That is why more late round picks turn out to be good players. Kids mature at different ages. One guy might be really good really young and turn out to be a bust. Another guy may come into his own at a later age. Look at Iginla he wasn't even taken in the WHL Bantam Draft - now he is a premiere player. Edmonton has a good scouting staff that has been unlucky on seperate occasions. It happens.

Old
11-04-2003, 10:53 PM
Allan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oi'll say!
That's not good news for Niinimaki, being compared to Floppa and all.

Then again, he did go about 45 spots early in the draft, what's the verdict on this one?
I think that the only person I heard compare Niinimaki to Forsberg at the draft was Niinimaki himself, which started the comments, and all he meant was that he wanted to play like him. As long as he meant everything but the swanning, I'm happy.

He has performed very well since the draft. Up to his shoulder injury, he was scoring well from the third line, and seems to have shown significant improvement this year. We'll have to see after he recovers. Also, by most accounts he was the best player on the ice at the prospect camp.

Similar things were said at the draft about the other first rounders mentioned, but I never heard anything about progress from them.

Old
11-05-2003, 07:37 AM
Marconius

Anyone know exactly how Henrich is doing. obviously he has to be considered somewhat of a bust at this point, but is there still chance he can produce for us or is he a career minor leaguer?

Old
11-05-2003, 08:19 AM
barto

Hey, if Peter Sarno can become an NHLer (OK, so one game doesn't necessarily mean that, but it's sure promising), then Henrich has a chance, too. It might not be with Edmonton considering our depth at forward, but if he works hard, etc., blah blah...

Bart

Old
11-05-2003, 02:57 PM
CanmoreMike

I noticed Milan Kraft on there and I had a brief idea. I know the guy hasn't turned out with the Penguins and they want to move him. In the meantime we need a talented centre but we're reluctant to move Comrie for what is being offered at the moment. Would anyone else here go for a trade for Kraft where we give the Pens a late pick - or more fitting Heinrich - in exchange for Kraft. Worst case scenario is he doesn't pan out and we lose something negligible. Best case, it might resurrect his career. The only concern I have is how much longer his contract goes for. If he's on for just this season, I take that chance.

By the way, I thought I'd add that Heinrich was rated 4th overall by the Hockey News. Suffice to say he didn't pan out, the fact remains the Oilers got the 4th best player (according to one qualified publication) in the draft. Hindsight being what it is I don't think they did bad, but they should have taken a defenceman after all those years of forwards in the first.

Old
11-05-2003, 05:15 PM
HOZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilflip
(HORRID FLASH BACK)

*It is the Oiler's turn to pick. AT their table can be seen Taquila Fraser, Sather and various scouts arguing. The croud is going crazy with chants of DOAN! DOAN! DOAN!. Sather is seen throwing his hands in the air and standing. One scout has left the table in a huff. Taquila Fraser looks satisefied.

Sather walks to the mike and announces...."The Oilers are proud to choose Steve Kelly"

(The best skater in the draft. Taquila knows since he saw the guy lots on TV in Mexico)

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! Goes the croud.

(End of horid flashback)

Sather later redeems himself by trading Kelly, Marchment, and Bonsignore (I think) to Tampa for Hamrlik. Hamrlik brings back Brewer.

All is well after all.....

Old
11-06-2003, 06:22 PM
kraigus

Send a message via ICQ to kraigus Send a message via MSN to kraigus
Quote:
Originally Posted by HOZ
Sather later redeems himself by trading Kelly, Marchment, and Bonsignore (I think) to Tampa for Hamrlik. Hamrlik brings back Brewer.

All is well after all.....
You forgot the best part, Phil Esposito saying something along the lines of Hamrlik being lucky Edmonton wanted him, because the Oilers have a history of making projects of other teams' former first round picks, and then shutting up quick when a reporter pointed out that Kelly and Bonsignore were both high first round picks as well.

Old
11-30-2003, 10:17 AM
Holly Gunning

I heard that Bonsignore is about to sign with the South Carolina Stingrays of the ECHL. He's there practicing already.

Old
11-30-2003, 12:12 PM
Holly Gunning

Yep, it showed up in today's transactions...

Following are the ECHL transactions for Sunday, November 30, 2003:

OTHER TRANSACTIONS:

South Carolina:
Add Jason Bonsignore, F added to roster
Delete Dave Seitz, C placed on 7 day IR

Old
11-30-2003, 12:31 PM
Lowetide

I think part of it can be laid at the feet of the organization. They really didn't put the time, effort and dollars into it, and it showed. Why DID Rita slip to 13, anyway? Maybe we know why now?

Since the new regime took over, there is a more vital procurement process in Edmonton. From signing Conklin and Bergeron, to allowing Pisani, Sarno and others to find their way, to picking Hemsky ten slots before he was slotted tells us that a prospect is far more likely to succeed now than in 1998.

Old
11-30-2003, 02:26 PM
Mizral

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowetide
I think part of it can be laid at the feet of the organization. They really didn't put the time, effort and dollars into it, and it showed. Why DID Rita slip to 13, anyway? Maybe we know why now?

Since the new regime took over, there is a more vital procurement process in Edmonton. From signing Conklin and Bergeron, to allowing Pisani, Sarno and others to find their way, to picking Hemsky ten slots before he was slotted tells us that a prospect is far more likely to succeed now than in 1998.
It's funny, I remember reading up on Rita, and I don't remember anybody saying anything really that bad about him. And if there were things, it was the same garden-variety young player thing (inconsistancy, immaturity, etc..). In fact, Rita was one of the guys I thought the Canucks might take if they moved down before the draft. As it happened, we ended up getting both of the Twins that year, who have actually turned out to be some of the best players in that draft year, abliet slowly.

As for pre-Lowe, am I correct in saying that 2000 was the first time Lowe was GM for the draft? If that's the case, Sather still was pretty successful his last draft, picking Rita, Semenov, and Comrie all in one fell swoop. Pretty impressive, if I do say so myself.

Also, watch for Bryan Allen of the '98 class to move up the list! He's having a great year already for us in Vancouver. Loads of promise.

Old
11-30-2003, 03:21 PM
Lowetide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizral
It's funny, I remember reading up on Rita, and I don't remember anybody saying anything really that bad about him.
Exactly. He was certainly well thought of in the media:

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hockey/shn/phil803.htm

It always makes me wonder though, why a guy like Rita (or Henrich) falls in a draft round. Brooks Orpik. Everyone likes him, but not enough to draft him? Hmmmm.

As for Sather/Fraser, the 1999 draft certainly is a gem, however if you had lived through the 90s as an Oiler fan you'd be hard pressed to defend the Oilers at the draft table.

Too many Corona.

Closed Thread