HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > NHL Draft - Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NHL Draft - Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

A Question about Nazem Kadri

Old
07-07-2010, 01:19 AM
carlweezer*

vCash: 500
A Question about Nazem Kadri

Kadri is a practicing muslim who honors and believes in every aspect of his religon. Im just curious as how you think he will handle Ramadan during an NHL season.

Ramandan is the 9th month of the Islamic calendar (progresses by 1 month every year, eg: If its November this year which means it will be December next year etc etc..)

During Ramadan, Muslims participate in fasting. No Food or Drink (including water) from sunrise to sunset. Other prohibitions during Ramadan is: becoming angry, smoking, or engaging in any sexual activity.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fasting

Im just curious on how Kadri will be able to handle not eating or not having any liquid on game days...Lets say Ramadan falls on an April and the Leafs miraculously make the playoffs (havent since the lockout). How will Kadri endure the rigirous battles of the stanley cup playoffs under those conditions.

One has to admire someone like Kadri who is so devoted enough that he has been able to make it work thus far in his career.

carlweezer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2010, 01:25 AM
Hermit Wizard Eater

He'll just be like your typical Catholic/Protestant/Buddhist/etc and disregard what isn't convenient to him at the moment. He must already do this, as there aren't people that don't, so it won't be a big deal (if he doesn't already ignore this specific thing).

Seriously, it's as if you expect him to be more religious than the other Catholics in this league.

I'm sure that he'll be fine.

Hermit Wizard Eater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Avs9500

Its very difficult to fast and play hockey, im muslim and I find it difficult not to drink water or eat after a work out or doing any physical activity. I dont know how Kadri's gonna do it but im very interested to see the outcome.

Avs9500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
vwg*

Muslims can still eat and drink, just not during the day I believe...

vwg* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2010, 01:28 AM
carlweezer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Stall View Post
Muslims can still eat and drink, just not during the day I believe...
c'mon man did you even read the post? Muslims CANT eat from sunrise to sunet durng Ramadan... so thats like 5am to 8pm in an April...no food or water!

I had a guy on my University basketball team who fasted during Ramadan. He had to be excused for the whole month as it was pretyt difficult enough to go to school and concentrate during the day even more so practice and play basketball.

Old
07-07-2010, 01:31 AM
carlweezer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit Wizard Eater View Post
He'll just be like your typical Catholic/Protestant/Buddhist/etc and disregard what isn't convenient to him at the moment. He must already do this, as there aren't people that don't, so it won't be a big deal (if he doesn't already ignore this specific thing).

Seriously, it's as if you expect him to be more religious than the other Catholics in this league.

I'm sure that he'll be fine.
I'm Catholic and the only thing we have comparable to that is :

1. no meat during Good Friday... (once a year)

2. give up something comfortable for lent (40 days)...1 thing like maybe caffeine or fast food..

Old
07-07-2010, 01:36 AM
vwg*

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlweezer View Post
c'mon man did you even read the post? Muslims CANT eat from sunrise to sunet durng Ramadan... so thats like 5am to 8pm in an April...no food or water!

I had a guy on my University basketball team who fasted during Ramadan. He had to be excused for the whole month as it was pretyt difficult enough to go to school and concentrate during the day even more so practice and play basketball.
Not being able to eat at all and not being able to eat during the day is a huge difference. Still sucks but is a lot more manageable.

And Ramadan starts on August 11th this year and ends September 9th, so it will really only be a problem for him during the preseason/first few games. I don't know where you got April from..

Old
07-07-2010, 01:40 AM
TMLeafer
The Blueprint.

Quote:

During Ramadan, Muslims participate in fasting. No Food or Drink (including water) from sunrise to sunset. Other prohibitions during Ramadan is: becoming angry, smoking, or engaging in any sexual activity.
Should probably clarify that that's DURING the fast (dawn to dusk).

Regarding Kadri:

http://www.torontosun.com/sports/hoc...75236-sun.html

http://www.iihf.com/home-of-hockey/n...html?tx_ttnews

He has "clearance" to not fast. I'm guessing he makes up for them in other parts of the year.

Kadri aside, numerous athletes have fasted while playing. Happens in soccer. Toronto FC's Amadou Sanyang comes to mind right away since he's local (to me). Played the full 90 minutes I believe on a 30+ degree C August day last year. Hakeem Olajuwon as well.

Erik Stall: Ramadan is based on the Islamic (lunar) calendar, not the Gregorian calendar. Because the lunar month is shorter, Ramadan and every other month moves back 10(?) days every year. So in some years, it will be in April.

That's how I understand it. Someone please correct any errors I may've made.

Last edited by TMLeafer: 07-07-2010 at 01:48 AM.
TMLeafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2010, 01:44 AM
carlweezer*

Quote:
Not being able to eat at all and not being able to eat during the day is a huge difference. Still sucks but is a lot more manageable.

And Ramadan starts on August 11th this year and ends September 9th, so it will really only be a problem for him during the preseason/first few games. I don't know where you got April from..

dude seriously did you read the post at all???? Ramadan progress 1 month every year because the Islamic calendar isnt 12 months. Ramadan will be September to October next year...October to November in 2012...November to December 2013...still there? so in 7 years.. or so whne Kadri is in his prime, Ramadan will fall on a playoff month

Old
07-07-2010, 01:46 AM
carlweezer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMLeafer View Post
Should probably clarify that that's DURING the fast (dawn to dusk).

Regarding Kadri:

http://www.torontosun.com/sports/hoc...75236-sun.html

http://www.iihf.com/home-of-hockey/n...html?tx_ttnews

He has "clearance" to not fast. I'm guessing he makes up for them in other parts of the year.

Kadri aside, numerous athletes have fasted while playing. Happens in soccer. Toronto FC's Amadou Sanyang comes to mind right away since he's local (to me). Played the full 90 minutes I believe on a 30+ degree C August day last year. Hakim Olajuwon as well.

Erik Stall: Ramadan is based on the Islamic (lunar) calendar, not the Gregorian calendar. Because the lunar month is shorter, Ramadan and every other month moves back 10(?) days every year. So in some years, it will be in April.

That's how I understand it. Someone please correct any errors I may've made.
thanks good to know!

i should have just figured he would skip Ramadan and try to make up for it another way. Still respectable

Old
07-07-2010, 01:48 AM
TMLeafer
The Blueprint.

Quote:
thanks good to know!

i should have just figured he would skip Ramadan and try to make up for it another way. Still respectable
I assume that will be the case.

TMLeafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2010, 01:50 AM
vwg*

My bad. It's late and I admittedly skimmed over some of your post. I guess I did because I don't really think it's going to be a big deal in his career. As TMLeafer stated, numerous other athletes have fasted during Ramadan throughout their careers without much of a problem. If he's allowed to eat and drink on game days it's even less of a deal than it originally would have been.

Old
07-07-2010, 02:05 AM
ponder

Quote:
My bad. It's late and I admittedly skimmed over some of your post. I guess I did because I don't really think it's going to be a big deal in his career. As TMLeafer stated, numerous other athletes have fasted during Ramadan throughout their careers without much of a problem. If he's allowed to eat and drink on game days it's even less of a deal than it originally would have been.
Indeed, in the NBA I remember Hakeem Olajuwon would play at an extremely high level for 40+ MPG even during Ramadan, and he would fully obey the no eating/drinking during the day.

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2010, 02:43 AM
carlweezer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponder View Post
Indeed, in the NBA I remember Hakeem Olajuwon would play at an extremely high level for 40+ MPG even during Ramadan, and he would fully obey the no eating/drinking during the day.
i can only imagine what a starving thirsty 7'0 Athlete will eat from sunset to sunrise...just remember to chew big fella

Old
07-07-2010, 03:32 AM
Black Tank

I'm no expert on this, but growing up in NY I had muslim buddy of mine who had served in the army for a long time. He told me he didn't follow the ramadan rules when he was in the field b/c they are not mandates and should give way to practicality. And in his opinion not drinking when weighed down with the gear and in 50C heat was definitely not a good idea. I assume Kadri will make a similar assessment.

Black Tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2010, 03:43 AM
enthropi

Sun sets pretty early in Canada around Ramadan time, so Kadri should be able to eat before a game and drink water during. Probably can be exempted from practice if need be.

But there are also all sorts of mini-rules that can allow a Muslim to round corners, like traveling in non-Islamic country usually can get you some leniency on some of those rites for practicality of circumstances. The Ramadan is pretty high up there though on the list of things Muslims should do, so not sure how he's handled it so far.

enthropi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2010, 03:48 AM
markisonfire

Quote:

dude seriously did you read the post at all???? Ramadan progress 1 month every year because the Islamic calendar isnt 12 months. Ramadan will be September to October next year...October to November in 2012...November to December 2013...still there? so in 7 years.. or so whne Kadri is in his prime, Ramadan will fall on a playoff month
Meh, no worries. Leafs won't make the playoffs in 7 years anyway.

markisonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2010, 03:54 AM
ukrleaf

We should trade him before he starts fainting from thirst and exhaust ))

ukrleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2010, 04:01 AM
robdicks

Quote:
Kadri is a practicing muslim who honors and believes in every aspect of his religon. Im just curious as how you think he will handle Ramadan during an NHL season.

Ramandan is the 9th month of the Islamic calendar (progresses by 1 month every year, eg: If its November this year which means it will be December next year etc etc..)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fasting

Im just curious on how Kadri will be able to handle not eating or not having any liquid on game days...Lets say Ramadan falls on an April and the Leafs miraculously make the playoffs (havent since the lockout). How will Kadri endure the rigirous battles of the stanley cup playoffs under those conditions.

One has to admire someone like Kadri who is so devoted enough that he has been able to make it work thus far in his career.
no sex, being angry, or eating? ramadan is a downer!

robdicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2010, 04:54 AM
Saevel

Quote:
Originally Posted by robdicks View Post
no sex, being angry, or eating? ramadan is a downer!
Perhaps the three most important activities for americans

Saevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2010, 05:07 AM
Roscoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by enthropi View Post
Sun sets pretty early in Canada around Ramadan time, so Kadri should be able to eat before a game and drink water during. Probably can be exempted from practice if need be.

But there are also all sorts of mini-rules that can allow a Muslim to round corners, like traveling in non-Islamic country usually can get you some leniency on some of those rites for practicality of circumstances. The Ramadan is pretty high up there though on the list of things Muslims should do, so not sure how he's handled it so far.
At the moment in my town the sun goes down 11.20pm and rises 2.33am.
So in 2020 orso, when ramadan takes place in june or july, the muslims here who play soccer is gonna have a hard time i presume.

Of course...in december the sun is just up for 4 hours so will be easier then

Roscoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2010, 06:26 AM
kings456*

i am muslim i will tell every one of u guys that ramadhan is the 3rd pillar of islam and there are so much things u have to do to be a proper muslim and right now in this whole world there is not single proper muslim infact not even 3/4 proper muslim because in order to be a proper u have to do lot of things aside from ramadhan ( the most important month in muslims life) like praying five times salaat(namaaz) reading qur'aan daily every single day, zakkat( donating money for allah) and haz( located in saudi arabia).
so for kadri right now he should only worry about trying to pray five times salaat (namaaz), pray qur'aan daily everyday even for only 30 minutes would be fine. thats all he should do and make duaa to allah to help him in every way.
and just to let all of u guys know that in islam the doors for repentsance are always open so if u guys think our relegion is strict, then u better think that its not because thats what u call a true worship towards ur creator (ALLAH).

I HOPE THAT HELPED.

kings456* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2010, 06:29 AM
kings456*

[QUOTE=robdicks;26790655]no sex, being angry, or eating? ramadan is a downer![/QUOTE]

maybe if u believed in allah u would feel so bad in ur heart even thinking about saying that.

kings456* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2010, 07:09 AM
Saevel

Quote:
maybe if u believed in allah u would feel so bad in ur heart even thinking about saying that.
lol...

Saevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2010, 07:16 AM
All Day*

This isn't an issue. Next thread.

All Day* is offline   Reply With Quote