HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

How To Become An NHL/CHL scout?

Old
11-23-2007, 05:21 PM
kenabnrmal

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Drama View Post
In the world of professional sports, there's a HUGE difference between the Hockey Operations wing (i.e. the players, coaches, scouts, front office staff) and the Business Department that does things like marketing, selling tickets and working at a team store.

Think of it this way, Ford Motor Company doesn't go looking for executives from someone that washes cars part time at one of their dealerships, because even though it's still the same organization, the talents, skills and abilities are totally different.
True in the NHL/AHL...not so much if you're starting out in the low minors or juniors. It really depends on the organization, but often the two departments are rubbing shoulders on a constant basis. You can definitely build relationships with "hockey ops", and go out of your way to help that side out off-hours and build trust.

kenabnrmal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2007, 10:27 PM
World Hockey Connect

Go to www.smww.com. It's Sports Management Worldwide and they have a Hockey GM & Scouting course taught by ISS from Nova Scotia.

World Hockey Connect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2007, 12:17 PM
Boston
Captain Chara

How much on average does a CHL scout make?

Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2007, 02:10 PM
razman22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spetzky View Post
It's basically a dream job for me. I have some knowledge of hockey, I'm still young, I love talking
about hockey. How do I get started?
If you need to ask that question on the HF Boards, you're not qualified and won't ever be one. I know that's pretty blunt but it's true.

razman22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2007, 02:12 PM
Doctor No
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by razman22 View Post
If you need to ask that question on the HF Boards, you're not qualified and won't ever be one. I know that's pretty blunt but it's true.
Well, it's certainly blunt, but it's not true.

There are people with unusual backgrounds in just about every profession.

Doctor No is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2007, 02:18 PM
lennie

I believe you need no experience to scout for the Canucks

lennie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2007, 02:40 PM
Tricolore#20
PK PK PK

http://www.canada.com/montrealgazett...671d1a&k=84052

Canadiens' director of player personnel, Trevor Timmins, has an interesting road to the NHL.

He wasn't a really great player, ending his hockey playing career at the Junior B level. He earned a BPe and a Master's in Business Admin from Queen's University, and started with the Senators in a very limited role. He was the director of team services. Eventually, Pierre Gauthier became comfortable with Timmins' work, and gave him an increasing role within the club. Given the success the Senators had in scouting in the late 90s, Timmins was a budding star. He's done an extremely good job for the Canadiens in scouting, and serves as a good model for how one can become a scout.

Obviously, you need to get a break. Timmins joined the Senators when they were starting out. Working hard, and finding that one break are obviously the key to making it.

Last edited by Tricolore#20: 11-24-2007 at 02:46 PM.
Tricolore#20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2007, 03:29 PM
Doctor No
Retired

The current commissioner of the National Football League never played college football, and started his career with the league as an intern.

Never say never.

Old
11-24-2007, 03:37 PM
Stuart McDonald

Quote:
Originally Posted by lennie View Post
I believe you need no experience to scout for the Canucks
LOL. That's the best laugh I've had all week.

Stuart McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2007, 04:02 PM
razman22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor No View Post
The current commissioner of the National Football League never played college football, and started his career with the league as an intern.

Never say never.
That is not a relevant comparison. Goodell has a degree in Economics, has worked with the NFL in an administrative role for 25 years and is not responsible for any player talent evaluation. A pro sports executive is a far cry from a scout.

razman22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2007, 04:06 PM
Doctor No
Retired

Quote:
That is not a relevant comparison. Goodell has a degree in Economics, has worked with the NFL in an administrative role for 25 years and is not responsible for any player talent evaluation. A pro sports executive is a far cry from a scout.
It obviously wasn't meant to be a direct comparison. It was a question in terms of likelihood.

My point is that if you underestimate how much someone wants something, then you're always going to say that these types of things are impossible. You're free to believe that, but I would hate to live like that.

Old
07-07-2010, 11:22 PM
nitz

vCash: 543
Quote:
Originally Posted by World Hockey Connect View Post
Go to www.smww.com. It's Sports Management Worldwide and they have a Hockey GM & Scouting course taught by ISS from Nova Scotia.
Is that legit? I've looked at that website before and I'm skeptical, to say the least.

nitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2010, 12:19 PM
Kritty

Quote:
How about Ken Hitchcock? He can't even skate but he is a successful NHL coach. Or Bob MacKenzie? Another that can't skate but is the elite insider in terms of hockey worldwide. If someone wants to make it, they don't have to have been an NHL player or even a player at all. Just learn the game and put in the effort.

And unfortunately, getting jobs in hockey is all about who you know. I graduated with a degree in Sport Management and haven't even gotten a sniff of a pro hockey job outside of my internship. I think I know as much if not more about hockey and players than alot of people in pro hockey now do, but they got a break. If you're willing to put in the time I'm sure eventually you can get something, but it's a long, difficult road.

Kritty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2010, 12:27 PM
Granlund2Pulkkinen*
New Kid on the Block

vCash: 50
PM scoutman1

Granlund2Pulkkinen* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2010, 12:52 PM
DangleBerry94*

Getting involved in scouting is like any other job, you have to pursue it. sure, being a former high level player definitely gives you a major edge because you have established connections in the community. as far as resumes go, in the real world you might as well throw your resume out the window, it really only means something when applying for entry level jobs competing against hundreds or thousands of applicants. most jobs you will get in your lifetime will come through connections and networking.

that said, if you really want to get involved in scouting, you have to use all available resources. if you live in canada, presumably near one or more chl teams, go to as many games as you can. the scouts are usually pretty visible, go talk to them. most are pretty friendly - try to make connections. shoot the breeze, share your thoughts on hockey. let them talk about their career path. keep going to games, establish relationships with as many people as possible. like i said, most job opportunities in a lifetime come from people who know you, not ads you see posted on the internet. if you are outgoing and comfortable approaching people they will respond to that and help you however they can, be it advice or potential opportunities. since it sounds like you probably don't have high level playing experience, pursue an education in sports management. become familiar with the economics of hockey while you hone your scouting abilities watching as many games as possible. as far as player agents, you are going to need a second degree. you can likely get internships at the big agencies, and having connections in the scouting community can help you there too. typically agents attend chl games as well, so you can be presented with opportunities to speak with them there. but in order to become an actual player agent you are going to need an mba or a law degree. this path is probably more lucrative, especially if you are a strong student, and more accessible for someone who hasn't played at at least the junior level.

Last edited by DangleBerry94*: 07-08-2010 at 12:53 PM. Reason: typo
DangleBerry94* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2010, 02:21 PM
Hugo Sham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kritty View Post
How about Ken Hitchcock? He can't even skate but he is a successful NHL coach. Or Bob MacKenzie? Another that can't skate but is the elite insider in terms of hockey worldwide. If someone wants to make it, they don't have to have been an NHL player or even a player at all. Just learn the game and put in the effort.

And unfortunately, getting jobs in hockey is all about who you know. I graduated with a degree in Sport Management and haven't even gotten a sniff of a pro hockey job outside of my internship. I think I know as much if not more about hockey and players than alot of people in pro hockey now do, but they got a break. If you're willing to put in the time I'm sure eventually you can get something, but it's a long, difficult road.
where did you get your sports management degree?

Hugo Sham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2010, 02:29 PM
IrMitchell*

For the guy who said Bob McKenzie started with nothing, false. His dad was a successful NHL analyst and Bob followed his footsteps right away.

It's very easy to help out a CHL team with scouting, but chances are you won't get paid and good luck moving on from there.

IrMitchell* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2010, 02:38 PM
scoutman1
Twitter - scoutman33

well I am a current scout in the QMJHL (can not say what team because I do not want it getting back to my team I post on here and I started on here and love the board so I love to give information to help people know about future so that is why I still post) I got on by actually posting on here, and then getting asked by hockeys future to do articles for them, then Mckeens Hockey got me working for them for years, I used those years with a media pass to gain the right connections to make it to the CHL once a job came up with a team...another scout from my team just sent a resume to every QMJHL team and was brought on to us with a 1 year contact that was just extended to 3 years. But the work with Hockeys Future and Mckeens was volunteer and I did that for about 8 years, took a bit to get noticed but paid off.

scoutman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2010, 02:41 PM
Hugo Sham

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoutman1 View Post
well I am a current scout in the QMJHL (can not say what team because I do not want it getting back to my team I post on here and I started on here and love the board so I love to give information to help people know about future so that is why I still post) I got on by actually posting on here, and then getting asked by hockeys future to do articles for them, then Mckeens Hockey got me working for them for years, I used those years with a media pass to gain the right connections to make it to the CHL once a job came up with a team...another scout from my team just sent a resume to every QMJHL team and was brought on to us with a 1 year contact that was just extended to 3 years. But the work with Hockeys Future and Mckeens was volunteer and I did that for about 8 years, took a bit to get noticed but paid off.
how old are you, if i may ask?

Old
07-08-2010, 02:46 PM
scoutman1
Twitter - scoutman33

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHill Seeker View Post
how old are you, if i may ask?
why does that matter...im bellow 40 LOL and above 29

Old
07-08-2010, 02:46 PM
Hugo Sham

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoutman1 View Post
why does that matter...im bellow 40 LOL and above 29
it matters because you seem to have stuck it our for many years

Old
07-08-2010, 02:49 PM
scoutman1
Twitter - scoutman33

Quote:
im early 30s

Old
07-08-2010, 08:46 PM
rockinghorse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulriksdal1989 View Post
Pierre actually played club hockey at Hobart College, which was basically at best a division 3 JV team at the time. He has no specific playing background and was actually more known as a good squash player rather than a hockey player at college ! He was the asst. coach at Babson under Steve Stirling but also coached squash at Babson College at the same time. Word has it he has family contacts with Scotty Bowman and hence his contact with Pittsburgh. Any thought that he was a so-called pro in Europe is in name only especially if anybody actually watched him handle the puck !

Although probably one of the games biggest overachievers you have to give him credit for " learning" the game as a non-player and also getting player respect..
Could use this as your model. Worked really well for him.

rockinghorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2010, 09:00 PM
MHJS
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Love View Post
A sports admin class will teach you nothing about scouting. Scouting isn't sports admin. And the people who teach such classes don't have anything do with or any experience in scouting.

Exactly. I'm getting my honors degree in Sport Management this fall and not once in my four years did we discuss scouting or on field activity, unless it was how to use that to our advantage in marketing.

Sport Management/Admin is all about Marketing, HR, Consumer Behavior, Law, etc. I remember most kids in first year had to goal of being GM of the Leafs. They failed out by the end of first year.

MHJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2010, 09:45 PM
LaLaLaprise
lalalaprise -twitter

Quote:
Thats what it takes, and unfortunately not a lot of people have the patience nor the time to do that.

Some people are also very cocky and think they know everything. Its great to have confidence in your own abilities but being overly cocky gets you no wheres. Some scouts i know think they are untouchable and will be right on every player and have hard times changing their opinions on certain guys, stubbornness as well.

Basically CHL scouts get paid very little, barely enough to cover expenses most of the time. You spend weekends in cold rinks, drinking horrible coffee, watching horrible (sometimes, especially early in the season) hockey games. Not to mention having to travel all over the place. You essentially use all your vacation time on hockey. You have to deal with the crazy parents who have delusional visions about their kid...

Its not glamorous, and once some people realize this, the luster seems to shine off and they a) do a horrible job of scouting because their heart isnt in it which leads to b) them quitting

LaLaLaprise is offline   Reply With Quote