HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

How To Become An NHL/CHL scout?

Old
07-10-2010, 01:32 PM
LaLaLaprise
lalalaprise -twitter

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie View Post
again this sounds very familiar. my buddy scouted for a qjmhl team for a couple of years, but i think he gave it up last summer.

it doesn't pay anything, and if you're not totally stoked about simply being involved with a hockey team, there's not much fun in it. he got to go to a couple of training camps and really had fun. sitting around the table with the other scouts and the coaching staff, discussing the players, and being "on the inside" was always the best part he says.

but i guess the novelty wore off, as you say. in the middle of winter, there can't be much glamour is getting in a cold car and driving who-knows-how-far to stand in a cold rink and watch bad hockey. basically i think these teams are able to take advantage of younger guys who think being part of a team is cool. but i would think the novelty wears off in most cases.
Being part of a 'team' is the best aspect in my opinion. And each CHL team has something like 10 scouts on average...60 teams, 10 scouts...thats 600 scouts...

Not to mention its rare that you go right from scouting CHL to scouting NHL. I know a couple QMJHL-Area scouts for NHL teams, and all of them were at one time QMJHL GM's....so its not like you can just jump right up from scout to scout...you have to pay your dues as a head scout first, than GM...and those positions arent exactly easy to get either.

LaLaLaprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2010, 02:12 PM
Frankie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaLaLaprise View Post
Being part of a 'team' is the best aspect in my opinion. And each CHL team has something like 10 scouts on average...60 teams, 10 scouts...thats 600 scouts...

Not to mention its rare that you go right from scouting CHL to scouting NHL. I know a couple QMJHL-Area scouts for NHL teams, and all of them were at one time QMJHL GM's....so its not like you can just jump right up from scout to scout...you have to pay your dues as a head scout first, than GM...and those positions arent exactly easy to get either.
absolutely correct. the thing seems to be....once you get one of these positions, its very difficult to lose it. i don't know about the qmjhl level, but at the nhl level, it seems once you have an nhl job, you have an nhl job for life. the nhl scouts might get fired from their team, but it seems they play musical chairs and end up with another team.

the only answer is to make enough money to buy your own team. then take whatever job you want.

Frankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2010, 10:23 PM
MitchRobichaud

Send a message via Skype™ to MitchRobichaud
Quote:
Originally Posted by elvisisalive View Post
I was at the draft in Ottawa and Montreal with SMWW. Spent 2 years scouting for a Q and NHL team but now am working in a different capacity in Hockey. I do spend a lot of time at the rink and wouldn't mind helping you out
That's awesome.. I was at the one in Ottawa as well and the one in LA a couple weeks back.

MitchRobichaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2010, 11:04 PM
Bank Shot

I think you'd have a much greater chance of breaking into pro hockey operations by applying for jobs in non traditional hockey markets where the interest isn't near as strong.

The Canadian teams for example probably have ridiculous amounts of applicants, as well as too many guys who know a guy leading to a position with the team.

Bank Shot is offline   Reply With Quote