HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Which D is out?

View Poll Results: If MTL signs a new D, whose place would he be taking?
Markov 5 3.25%
Komisarek 2 1.30%
Souray 51 33.12%
Rivet 13 8.44%
Bouillon 70 45.45%
Dandenault 13 8.44%
Voters: 154. You may not vote on this poll

Old
05-21-2006, 06:17 PM
not quite yoda

vCash: 500
Which D is out?

If Gainey does pick-up a new body on the UFA market to play defence, which member of the top 6 would be on his way out?

not quite yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2006, 06:18 PM
Phousse

I don't know why, but I see Cube being gone this year.

Phousse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2006, 06:19 PM
Bronn
Registered Sellsword

Top 6 : Bouillon

Top 4 : Souray

Bronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2006, 06:21 PM
Rise from the Ashes
@JoelGabbayNHL

Send a message via MSN to Rise from the Ashes
Its possible that Souray could be part of a deal to get Bertuzzi, then we sign someone like Redden... but doubt it and Bouillon works his butt off so its a hard choice.

Rise from the Ashes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2006, 06:25 PM
not quite yoda

I would think that Bouillon is the odd man out. He is considered as a third pairing guy (expendable and behind Souray onthe depth chart) and he is a UFA this summer which means that we'd have to pay him substantialy more than this year (in all likelyhood) to keep him.

But looking at the big picture, Cube is more reliable than Sheldon defensively. Bouillon would cost us less. Souray has the big shot on the PP but makes boneheaded moves at other times.

not quite yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2006, 06:27 PM
BLONG7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Symbolic

Couldn't agree more...

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2006, 06:36 PM
Rather Gingerly 1*

I voted for Bouillon but like somebody it is possible he moves Souray for a scorer

Rather Gingerly 1* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2006, 07:15 PM
Artyukhin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun
I don't know why, but I see Cube being gone this year.

waaaa???

i dont think so there is no way you let frank walk for free. at times he was our best d man this season .

thats the last guy id let walk

Artyukhin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2006, 07:17 PM
Talent Analyst

Rivet or Dandenault

Talent Analyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2006, 07:21 PM
Poochie_D

if its someone with a salary above 3M it'll be Souray. Lower, Bouillon.

Poochie_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2006, 07:30 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Bouillon is the obvious choice, simply because he's an unrestricted free agent, if nothing else. The way Bouillon played this year, he is arguably worthy of a significant raise, and if there is a team out there that is a fan, it wouldn't be unfair for him to be paid $1.5M. If Dandenault can get $1.725M... well 'nuff said. Would the Habs choose to compete with such an offer? I don't know. I would think they'd like to keep him, but at a more modest raise.

Longer term, though, I'd rather sign a UFA dman, and just keep everybody, including Bouillon. Because next summer we have Markov, Rivet, and Souray's contracts all expiring, and if we don't retain one of them, it will be good to already have the depth in place. Whoever we'd sign as a UFA this year would probably command a 3+ year contract, so it would almost be as much a case of stockpiling now when the market is pretty saturated as an insurance policy on next year.

Blind Gardien is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2006, 07:53 PM
Habs514

I have a feeling Souray will be traded. Souray has been on too many highlights this year and not in a good way.

Habs514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2006, 08:08 PM
digitalmonkey*

Get rid of Souray now while he still has some value.

digitalmonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2006, 11:06 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

I can't understand how people are naming Bouillon in there....The guy is the perfect #6, hits like a ton of brick, fan favorite, and is not the worst out there.

Souray should be the one, 'cause he's the only one that is expendable and could bring us something valuable in return.

And people seemed to forget the crappy season Dandeanault gave us. And for me didn't redeemed himself because he played better, was not really hard to play better than he was, so sure he surprised us but he lowered the standards by playing so poorly at first. Some may say he was shutdown by Julien but I still think that he's the one who won't bring us anything special.

Though I don't really agree with since we need more puck moving d-men, would Markov be a trade bait as well???If Gainey succeeds in pulling a great move in the UFA market, Markov could be traded for a great forward...

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2006, 11:31 PM
Mike8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien
Bouillon is the obvious choice, simply because he's an unrestricted free agent, if nothing else. The way Bouillon played this year, he is arguably worthy of a significant raise, and if there is a team out there that is a fan, it wouldn't be unfair for him to be paid $1.5M. If Dandenault can get $1.725M... well 'nuff said. Would the Habs choose to compete with such an offer? I don't know. I would think they'd like to keep him, but at a more modest raise.

Longer term, though, I'd rather sign a UFA dman, and just keep everybody, including Bouillon. Because next summer we have Markov, Rivet, and Souray's contracts all expiring, and if we don't retain one of them, it will be good to already have the depth in place. Whoever we'd sign as a UFA this year would probably command a 3+ year contract, so it would almost be as much a case of stockpiling now when the market is pretty saturated as an insurance policy on next year.
I agree.

I don't see the D changing unless Bouillon asks for too much. I do think Bouillon and his speed, ability to pinch are useful in this new version of the NHL and the way Montreal's system is changing.

Similarly, Souray and his big shot has a real role on this team. People point to Souray's highlight reel goals (against) too often--and they don't stop to think about the fact that Souray was on the ice for a reason against the Spezzas, Brieres of the league: he was oft-used as a shut-down defenseman. He is certainly flawed defensively, but I wouldn't define his defensive game as weak.

Don't forget that when Souray didn't have his big shot, he was considered a safe depth defenseman who added character and played with a mean streak. His defensive game hasn't changed, but his role has ... which has meant more minutes, and his defensive game hasn't proven consistent with more minutes.

On the whole, I think it should be clear when looking at the teams remaining in the playoffs that Montreal needs more up front; the defense is OK.

Mike8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2006, 11:54 PM
x-bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Symbolic

I agree with this. THough we might keep Bouillon even if we get a top 4 D just for dept.

x-bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2006, 11:56 PM
Biggsy

Hmm maybe Boullion or Rivet

Biggsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2006, 12:33 AM
jcpenny

Michel Therrien will want bouillon for next year, i can see him signing in Pittsburgh as soon as he sees that the Habs arent too sure of what they want to do with him.

jcpenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2006, 12:52 AM
Slick Nick

hopefully Souray can be traded with someone for a better left Dman... we have an interesting offensive propsect core. I'm satisfied with Bouillon as our 6/7th dman, and Emelin and Coté are near the NHL.

My dream deal; Souray, Ryder and Aebischer (+ pick)......... great value/not great loss for the Habs.

Slick Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2006, 08:16 AM
YEMELIN74

Send a message via MSN to YEMELIN74
i dont see any of them moving unless we sign a guy like redden, chara or jovanovsky

YEMELIN74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2006, 09:20 AM
beowulf
Not a nice guy.

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Depends on how much the new D costs. If he is a higher end then Souray might be the odd man out.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2006, 09:21 AM
beowulf
Not a nice guy.

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick Nick
hopefully Souray can be traded with someone for a better left Dman... we have an interesting offensive propsect core. I'm satisfied with Bouillon as our 6/7th dman, and Emelin and Coté are near the NHL.

My dream deal; Souray, Ryder and Aebischer (+ pick)......... great value/not great loss for the Habs.
Why do people want to trade Ryder so bad. The dude was our only 30 goal scorer last season and had a decent playoffs. On top of that you are suggesting trade 3 plyers for one dman. Who will replace Ryder?

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2006, 12:14 PM
Slick Nick

Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf
Why do people want to trade Ryder so bad. The dude was our only 30 goal scorer last season and had a decent playoffs. On top of that you are suggesting trade 3 plyers for one dman. Who will replace Ryder?
People don't want to trade Ryder, I do..

There are a couple of guys that could score 30 given the same ice time, partners and PP time as Ryder.

Ryder did not have decent playoffs, he sucked big time and finished -4 (worst on the team).

Sorry I didn't specify, the deal would be for a no center and what comes with it..

Perezhogin and Kostitsyn are two good candidates to replace Ryder.

Slick Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2006, 12:20 PM
Habsfan 32

Send a message via ICQ to Habsfan 32 Send a message via MSN to Habsfan 32
Souray.

Habsfan 32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2006, 12:27 PM
RedArmyMontreal*

As much as I hate to say it, it would most likely be Bouillon.

I don't understand why people want to change our defense so much, I sincerly believe it is underrated... all we need is help on the first 2 lines which we may well get in a couple of years when our rookies mature

RedArmyMontreal* is offline   Reply With Quote