HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

BRian Willsie?

Old
05-21-2006, 09:41 PM
NCSENSFAN

vCash: 500
BRian Willsie?

Looking for some feedback on him. What were your thoughts on him this season and where do you see him fitting in next season with the Caps?

Is he going to get time up on the first line with OV or be put on the third link as a checking forward?

Thanks for any thoughts and feed back.

NCSENSFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2006, 09:54 PM
The Viking Fury

I really don't see him back here, not with the way our prospects are playing right now in the AHL. If any of them can bring the same game to training camp, Willsie will be gone.

He did alright this season, got some PP time, some time with AO. i don;t know his stats offhand, but he wasn;t anything special, and he wasn't anything bad, he just was. He did happen to score one or two clutch goals, and one shootout game winner. If he does come back though, It will probably be on the second line, placeholding for a Hershey guy.

The Viking Fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2006, 10:05 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

If this is a fantasy hockey question... pick someone else. There's too much uncertainty. Willsie could be back, but he could also very well be let go.

He won't be playing with Ovechkin, that's for sure, so he won't be leeching points that way on the first line. Just pick someone else. This past season was his career year.

Drake1588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2006, 02:25 PM
Jasper17

I would be very surprised if Willsie isn't back next year. He obviously won't be on the top line with Ovy, but he will be back at least as a 4th liner.

He did nothing last season to earn a spot somewhere with this team next year. I have never really understood why people bash him so much on these boards.

He is cheap, and did pretty much everything the team has asked him to do. No reason in my opinion why he would be let go.

Jasper17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2006, 02:33 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

It's unlikely the OP cares about Willsie or his role on the team. He's most likely a poolie looking at Capitals right wings to try and figure out who is going to play with Ovechkin and Zubrus.

Willsie won't play with Ovechkin on the top line. He's not a player you pick up for fantasy hockey.

Drake1588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2006, 03:14 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

If he's a 4th liner then you're better off getting someone else. Willsie's worthless when you curtail his minutes. And when you don't, well, the results aren't all that great either.

He's basically a guy who's been able to score in bunches who can't make the adjustments to the NHL level. Put him in with the Steve Brules, Jeff Tomses, and Kirby Laws of hockey lore.

A question I'd like to ask is--who WILL be Ovechkin's linemates? I'm guessing Zubrus and Fehr.

Av-merican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2006, 03:44 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Av-merican
A question I'd like to ask is--who WILL be Ovechkin's linemates? I'm guessing Zubrus and Fehr.
I don't see Fehr being with the big club next season, I think he needs one more in Hershey. I would anticipate AO's linemates being Zubrus and Clark, as was the case for most of this past season. This is unless the Caps delve into the free agent market to pick up a linemate for Alex. Either way, don't expect to see Zubrus on a different line, he's a virtual lock.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2006, 03:50 PM
Jasper17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Av-merican
If he's a 4th liner then you're better off getting someone else. Willsie's worthless when you curtail his minutes. And when you don't, well, the results aren't all that great either.

He's basically a guy who's been able to score in bunches who can't make the adjustments to the NHL level. Put him in with the Steve Brules, Jeff Tomses, and Kirby Laws of hockey lore.

Zubrus without a doubt will be with Ovechkin. As for Fehr, i really doubt it. I want Fehr with the Caps next year but he is not ready for a top 6 role yet, let alone top line minutes.

Jasper17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2006, 04:13 PM
HockeyCritter

I would hazard a guess and say Clark will be the RW on that line as well . Semin (can either he or Ovechkin play RW) might see some shifts up there.

I agree and thin Fehr will spend half the season in Hershey he does a lot of things really well, he still needs to play top line minutes (something he wont see in DC just yet) and fill out his frame (though hes coming along quite nicely in that department).

It will be interesting to see what the organization plans on doing with Fleischmann -- do they convert him to RW and bring him up, or does he stay on LW and stay in Herhsey?

HockeyCritter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2006, 06:24 PM
The Viking Fury

Ovechkin - Zubrus - Semin
Flash - Beech - Halpern/Laich

That is what its shaping up to be I think

The Viking Fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2006, 07:01 PM
PSUhockey34

I think Flash will get a decent shot at a roster spot during training camp/preseason b/c he's done everything to earn it but I dont know if the type of success he's having in the Hershey is going to carry over to the NHL or translate right away for that matter

I dont know if he's ready for 2nd line type of minutes or contributions....a line of Flash - Beech - whoever else is a huge unknown if you ask me, it might work it the AHL but it's tough to say that will work in the NHL...could work as a 4th line until they get some NHL games under their belts (Beech aside)

I see Halpren being resigned for a year or two and used in the 2nd line center role with Pettinger and Semin and the 4th line the with normal mix of players like Laich who can be rotated in and out of different line combinations

We have a number of prospects on the bears that all have shown they deserve a shot to make the Capitals next year

Last edited by PSUhockey34: 05-22-2006 at 07:06 PM.
PSUhockey34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2006, 07:53 PM
txpd

question #1. Willsie: Jasp, add Tarik to that Willsie bashers. Recall in his recent online chat that he referenced Hanlon's comments about players needing to take advantage of their ice time to catch the eye of another team for next season. Tarik was speaking specifically of Willsie when he said that.

I think if you look at the numbers, they don't really favor keeping Willsie. Ovechkin and Zubrus are locked in. Semin is locked in. Thats three of the top 6. If you guess that one young player(Fleischmann, Fehr, or Klepis) gets one of the wings, that leaves only one wing spot in the top 6. At that point for Willsie to have a job, the Caps will have decided not to bring in any new forwards and don't like the idea of keeping Clark in that ice time.

Keeping him as a 4th liner only makes sense if he is just a backup to fill in for an injury or penalty to a top 6 line player. They might keep him, but seems to me that it really doesn't add up.

Question #2: Wing for Ovechkin line. With a full season under Ovechkin's belt and the good defense from Zubrus, I could see either Fehr or Fleischmann on that line.
Fehr showed flashes on the occasions that he got to skate with Ovechkin. Fleischmann's +/- numbers indicate that he might be reliable even if not producing a lot at the start.

I would tend to expect the Caps to put more priority on experience and defensive reliability on the 2nd line with Semin on one wing.

But thats just me.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote