HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Joseph to Calgary?

Closed Thread

Old
11-04-2003, 02:34 PM
Sec of Partying Down

vCash: 500
Joseph to Calgary?

Quote:
Just got an email from a buddy in detroit...dont shoot the messenger here boys...

but Cujo is playing tonight and will be showcased for Calgary

apparently...Denis Gauthier is being rumoured to go to Detroit...as a potential replacement for Chris Chelios..not as much offensive upside..but the meanstreak..and big hits...

Detroit is apparently picking up 1/2 the salary on cujo....and with Denis contract gone..it will give the Flames some flexibility as Tureks insurance will pick up his salary...

like I said dont shoot the messenger..but apparently it will be announced tomorrow or possibly tonight..after the game.
This is from Calgarypuck from a very reliable poster...

Thoughts?

Old
11-04-2003, 02:44 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Detroit will pick up 1/2 of Cujos salary just for this year?

Putting aside the talent exchange, that may work economically for the reasons you mention (Turek's insurance; losing Gauthier contract). Of course that assumes that Calgary has budget manueverability.

But what happen$ next year?

BTW, I'm guessing Holland would carry Joseph's equipment by foot from Detroit to Calgary if he could get that deal. :p

Old
11-04-2003, 02:45 PM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF_IN_LV
Detroit is apparently picking up 1/2 the salary on cujo....and with Denis contract gone..it will give the Flames some flexibility as Tureks insurance will pick up his salary...
the facts don't seem right here... maybe that's why it's hard to believe...

if Detroit picks up 1/2 of Cujo's salary, that's still $4mill.... then with the Flames still needing to pick up the rest of Turek's salary after insurance (which covers 80% - so about 900K would still need to be paid out), it really doesn't leave much room for added flexibility even if you minus Gauthier's contract.

and in all likelihood, if you move Gauthier, you still need to replace that spot in the lineup - even if it's just adding a #7 guy and using Wallin or Commodore in that role... so you still add their salary.

and this doesn't get into what impact this has on the Flames for next season - where both Cujo and Turek are under contract... even if the Wings pick up half of Cujo's contract next year, doesn't Turek have like $4.5mill on his?? that's $8.5mill in goaltending for a small market team like the Flames as they head into a new CBA??

I don't see the Flames management taking that kind of financial risk.

Old
11-04-2003, 02:49 PM
pepchew

Doesn't make sense to me. What happens when Turek gets healthy? I believe he has stated he has no intention of uprooting his family, and frankly, who would take him? Even if Detroit pays half of Joseph's salary, the Flames would be paying over 8 million for goaltending. That would mean around half of their budget would be spent on goaltending and one right winger (Iginla).

EDIT: The post above mine was not there at the time of composition.

Old
11-04-2003, 03:07 PM
HOZ

Button was fired, so this won't happen. Adding more payroll to the Flames won't make them better. Just bankrupt them.

8 million plus in goaltenders and loose a defender that is needed? Ahhhh...no.

Old
11-04-2003, 03:18 PM
evman150*

I posted this on CP....nice copy/paste job.

I just don't see how it would be financially feasible.

Joseph +4M
Replacement D +.5M

Gauthier -1.3M
Turek -4M

Okay. Sure that's great for this year, but what about next year?

Joseph 8M
Turek 4M

?

Is Detroit going to pick up half salary next year as well? Even so, that would mean an increase in payroll. I just don't see this working. I think Holland and Sutter will have to be awfully creative in order to make something like this work.

Old
11-04-2003, 03:20 PM
the future

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOZ
Button was fired, so this won't happen. Adding more payroll to the Flames won't make them better. Just bankrupt them.

8 million plus in goaltenders and loose a defender that is needed? Ahhhh...no.

pending a cba lockout, if the wings pick up half of cujo's salary. turek's salary 80% by insurance. next year a lockout= no salary, the next year turek and cujo are both gone and the flames have no salary issues. the real question is, is gauthier worth giving the 50% reduction in salary. well if detroit adds a prospect then this deal might work. it's a gamble for the flames but so are other goalie suspects.

Old
11-04-2003, 03:27 PM
Adityase

Send a message via AIM to Adityase
2 things...

Isn't McLennan playing out his a :moon::moon:?

And doesn't Cujo have a say as to where he goes?

Old
11-04-2003, 03:28 PM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by the future
pending a cba lockout, if the wings pick up half of cujo's salary. turek's salary 80% by insurance. next year a lockout= no salary, the next year turek and cujo are both gone and the flames have no salary issues. the real question is, is gauthier worth giving the 50% reduction in salary. well if detroit adds a prospect then this deal might work. it's a gamble for the flames but so are other goalie suspects.
no... I think the real question is whether a small market team like Calgary can take a chance like this *hoping* for a lockout to happen....

what if there is no lockout?? it could seriously hurt the Flames to have Cujo and Turek in the same year they need to qualify Iginla to bring him back, and to either re-sign or replace their #1 center Conroy - both happening in the same offseason.

Can the Flames really take that kind of a chance? it's all great saying there's a good chance for a lockout, but you don't bank the future of your organization on "good chances" not when there is this much money involved, and key players like Iginla and Conroy at stake, and when the organization already has fiscal concerns.

Old
11-04-2003, 03:35 PM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

I think this might be a good thing though for Calgary with Turek injured...

just to look at it from another POV...

Turek hasn't been playing well... not this year before his injury, and not last year... the Flames defense (probably largely thanks to Sutter) has been playing very well... so maybe by Turek getting injuried, it actually helps the Flames long term.

they can just add a depth goalie now... someone from a team that is already overloaded in goal... Bierk from Phoenix, Hurme from Atlanta, Toskala from SJ... none of these guys would cost a lot in assets, and their salary would be fairly low...

and then, the money they save from Turek - about $3.5 mill - they could use $1mill or less on a new goalie, and then $2.5mill or whatever in trying to either make sure they get Iginla re-signed (either qualify him as a RFA after the season, or negotiate a new longer term contract this season sorta like Bertuzzi situation, where they are guarenteed to get him for a few years)... or they could use that to re-sign or replace Conroy.

$2mill extra for a team like Calgary means flexibility - and heading into a season where your 2 best players are finished with their current contracts, those $$ could come in handy.

Old
11-04-2003, 03:47 PM
Benji Frank

Just a guess, but most insurance clauses don't kick in until the player has missed 30 games and even then it's only 80% so Calgary will still likely be on the hook for a little less then half Turek's salary when it's all said and done ... 2 mil or so. Even that's probably more then the Flames ownership group want to pay for a starting goalie.... forget adding a portion of Cujo's salary!!! Withthe way Sutter's got this team playing defence, Mclennan will be fine ... kind of like Roloson/Fernandez in Minny an unknown with nice numbers!!!

IMO, they'd be better off trying to find a skater to help Iggy, Reinprecht and the rest of the offence out!! Or put the insurance moneyin the kitty and use it to sign Iggy & Conroy and any others whose contracts end soon to an extension to make strides in gaining the fans trust and support!!!

Old
11-04-2003, 04:29 PM
Coffey77

Hey, Cujo's 2nd stint in Calgary

To FF_IN_LV: What's the source that your friend has? Just wondering.

I don't think this deal will happen. Detroit would JUMP at the chance to do this trade. And I don't know how insurance will work out for Turek. Actually, I haven't a clue how it works in the NHL. Also consider different players have different kinds/levels of insurance too.

Old
11-04-2003, 04:42 PM
Bicycle Repairman
HFBoards Sponsor

Unsubstantiated rumors coming from other messageboards should not be tolerated.

This thread should be closed.

Old
11-04-2003, 04:42 PM
Sec of Partying Down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffey77
Hey, Cujo's 2nd stint in Calgary

To FF_IN_LV: What's the source that your friend has? Just wondering.

I don't think this deal will happen. Detroit would JUMP at the chance to do this trade. And I don't know how insurance will work out for Turek. Actually, I haven't a clue how it works in the NHL. Also consider different players have different kinds/levels of insurance too.
No idea on what his source is...but like I said he's a reliable poster.

Closed Thread