HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

More valuble...Lidstrom or Fedorov

View Poll Results: more valuble
Lidstrom 37 84.09%
Fedorov 7 15.91%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
10-30-2003, 10:37 AM
Spitfire11

vCash: 500
More valuble...Lidstrom or Fedorov

Since they were both drafted, up until this season, which player was more important to the Wings' success.

Old
10-30-2003, 10:54 AM
Motown Beatdown
Need a slump buster

Nothing against Fedorov. But Lidstrom has been more important. Especially after Vladdy's accident. Lids makes everything look so easy sometime i think he gets overlooked. Yes he has won the Norris for the past 3 season. But IMO was a MVP type player too. And thats being paired with guys like Larry Murphy and Mathieu Dandenault.

Old
10-30-2003, 02:09 PM
Wingboy2999

Send a message via AIM to Wingboy2999 Send a message via Yahoo to Wingboy2999
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWI19
Nothing against Fedorov. But Lidstrom has been more important. Especially after Vladdy's accident. Lids makes everything look so easy sometime i think he gets overlooked. Yes he has won the Norris for the past 3 season. But IMO was a MVP type player too. And thats being paired with guys like Larry Murphy and Mathieu Dandenault.
Murphy wasn't bad. Lost a step, yes, but not bad. But Lidstrom, definetely.

Old
10-30-2003, 02:20 PM
stu the grim reaper

i might have to say lidstrom simply because hes taught other players how to be better

but then i mihgt have to say fedorov because he did more to increase interest in red wings hockey imo

but then i might have to go back to lidstrom cuz he gets the team into a ggood seed for the playoffs with his consistent regular season play

but then sergei was just sick when it was crunch time

too hard

mostly because everything lidstrom does goes under the radar

Old
10-30-2003, 02:34 PM
golfmade
Go Preds Go

Lidstrom.

Old
10-30-2003, 05:55 PM
kira

Send a message via ICQ to kira Send a message via Yahoo to kira
Nicklas Lidstrom.

Here is a guy who goes out night after night and does his job...no flash, no ego, just goes out and does his job and gives his all for the team. I respect guys like that more than the flashy, egocentric players (and we won't name names on this one). Now, before you flame me I'm ABSOLUTELY NOT accusing Sergei of this...I'm thinking of some others who fall into that category. But I can't help but respect a guy like Nick a lot more than Sergei...they're both good players, don't get me wrong. But between the two of them, my money goes on Nicklas Lidstrom without question.

Old
10-31-2003, 10:24 AM
jiggs 10

Lidstrom has been more instrumental in the Wings' success. Fedorov maybe put more fans in the seats (or pulled them OUT of their seats), and scored some huge goals, but Lidstrom from his rookie season has been a model defenseman. And having to do it with Larry "pylon" Murphy as a partner for a few seasons makes it even more impressive. Lidstrom SHOULD have won the Norris the year Pronger won it. He is the Wings' MVP the past 4 years, even more than (dare I say it?) Stevie Y. He is the one player the Wings absolutely CANNOT afford to lose during the season.

Old
10-31-2003, 09:01 PM
Spaceace

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiggs 10
Lidstrom SHOULD have won the Norris the year Pronger won it.
Although Lidstrom had 11 more points than Pronger that year, Pronger's "+/-" was a league-leading +52,while Lidstrom's was a paltry +19. Some people say that the plus/minus is a mis-leading stat regarding players. But when you're a d-man,it's one of the more important stats.

Old
11-01-2003, 04:20 AM
degroat*

Quote:
Originally Posted by weight39
Although Lidstrom had 11 more points than Pronger that year, Pronger's "+/-" was a league-leading +52,while Lidstrom's was a paltry +19. Some people say that the plus/minus is a mis-leading stat regarding players. But when you're a d-man,it's one of the more important stats.
Funny... Wings fans went on and on all last year about how despite the fact that MacInnis had more points, since Lidstrom's +/- was so much better, Lidstrom should win the Norris. But, the same logic doesn't apply when it's on the other side. As I said.. funny, but certainly not surprising.

BTW... Lidstrom.

Old
11-01-2003, 06:47 AM
onearmedbandit14

Lidstrom IMO.

Old
11-01-2003, 07:47 AM
Vincent Vega
GGTK

Easily Lidstrom. He is the best defenseman in the leauge and many believe he is the best player in the leauge. He is a dominant defesneman who has great two way skills and is an underrated physical presence. He can be a huge factor night in and night out with a 6th defenseman like Dandenault as his partner and make Dandenault look great.

Old
11-01-2003, 02:18 PM
Vyacheslav
That one guy

Send a message via AIM to Vyacheslav
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiggs 10
Lidstrom has been more instrumental in the Wings' success. Fedorov maybe put more fans in the seats (or pulled them OUT of their seats)
Fedorov didn't pull anyone out of their seats unless he was on a breakaway. The Red Wings would sell out even if Fedorov went through the crowd and personally insulted every fan's mother.

That said, I'm surprised Lidstrom isn't winning by shutout. I voted Lidstrom, btw.

Old
11-01-2003, 04:23 PM
Spitfire11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vyacheslav
That said, I'm surprised Lidstrom isn't winning by shutout. I voted Lidstrom, btw.
I was wondering, because if you asked people at the time Detroit won in 97, most would probably say Fedorov. No one used to say anything about Nick. The Goalie's Den sold Lidstrom autographs for $20 at that time, and now they sell for over 50. And although he's still very good, Fedorov was one of the best players in the league (Hart), I thought it was a tough call.

Old
11-01-2003, 07:10 PM
kira

I would probably be in the minority but I would have said Lidstrom even then, because again, he goes out night after night and does his job and doesn't make flashy moves or trashy things. I have more respect for the guys who go out there and do their thing without a lot of flash and trash.

Of course, there are exceptions to this...

Old
11-02-2003, 04:47 PM
Vyacheslav
That one guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire11
I was wondering, because if you asked people at the time Detroit won in 97, most would probably say Fedorov. No one used to say anything about Nick. The Goalie's Den sold Lidstrom autographs for $20 at that time, and now they sell for over 50. And although he's still very good, Fedorov was one of the best players in the league (Hart), I thought it was a tough call.
Well I was just surprised anyone would vote Fedorov today because of the fact that he's about as popular as Sakuhiro Toyota at a AFL-CIO union meeting.

Old
11-03-2003, 12:12 PM
Burke's Evil Spirit

Lidstrom, quite easily.

Old
11-06-2003, 04:29 AM
Sundried TOmato

It's funny how Fedorov is NOTHING now: he didn't pull people out of their seats, he didn't work hard, didn't do this, didn't do that. How about things that he did do? The lack of appreciation for Fedorov in this town is stunning.

Btw, I think Lidstrom is more valuable. He is probably one of the most valuable guys in the league.

Old
11-06-2003, 10:51 AM
jiggs 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by weight39
It's not about the stats, it's about the ability to play the position. Lidstrom is THE textbook example of how to play defense in the NHL. He doesn't make the big hits like Pronger (or others), but he doesn't run around and get out of position trying to, either. I was basing my opinion on his defensive play that year, which was AT LEAST as good as Pronger's. And he had more points, less PIM's, etc. So to add the stats into the equation...
BTW, I like MacInnis a lot, and wouldn't have been all that upset if HE won the Norris last year.

Old
11-06-2003, 06:10 PM
kira

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundried TOmato
It's funny how Fedorov is NOTHING now: he didn't pull people out of their seats, he didn't work hard, didn't do this, didn't do that. How about things that he did do? The lack of appreciation for Fedorov in this town is stunning.

Btw, I think Lidstrom is more valuable. He is probably one of the most valuable guys in the league.

It's not that we think Sergei is nothing now...but we can go on and do without him a whole hell of a lot easier than we could without Nick. There's a big difference between these two fellas.

Old
11-06-2003, 09:26 PM
Freudian
Patty likes beef

vCash: 0
I'd have to go with Lidström. He is class in everything he does. One of the smartest hockey players you ever saw.

But I feel a lot here are selling Fedorov short. Sure he left you and there is reason to be at least slightly upset about how it happend but this guy was huge for you for 10+ years. Especially in the playoffs. While his personality leaves quite a bit to desire, on the ice he was a force for you. After Forsberg, Fedorov is the guy I would want as the #1 centre going into a playoff.

Old
11-07-2003, 06:10 AM
Absolut

Quote:
Originally Posted by kira
It's not that we think Sergei is nothing now...but we can go on and do without him a whole hell of a lot easier than we could without Nick. There's a big difference between these two fellas.
Hmmm. I agree with TOmato on this one. Read the posts - people aren't just saying that Lidstrom is more important; they are saying Fedorov "wasn't all that". I dunno. I always thought the Wings were the classiest organization in the league. But this Fedorov-hating is leaving a bad taste in my mouth. The guy was instrumental in winning 3 championships; yet he was always portrayed like a bad person & a lazy player by Detroit media. And always underappreciated by Detroit fans.

Old
11-07-2003, 02:25 PM
Vyacheslav
That one guy

I agree. Maybe Detroit fans never really warmed to Sergei because he seems a little flashy and in Detroit, blue collar type guys seem to be more popular. I dunno, but I definatly appreciate what Fedorov did while he was here.

Old
11-07-2003, 03:57 PM
Winger98
powers combined

Send a message via Yahoo to Winger98
Good point about the blue collar types being liked in Detroit. The only really flashy guy in any Detroit sport who the fans seemed to love is Barry Sanders.

Something that I don't think can be understated with Fedorov, was the taste left in the mouth of fans when he signed with the Canes in '98.

Yeah, it was a long time ago.
Yeah, he may have had his reasons.

But I think he basically closed the door on his fate in the hearts of many Wings fans. His last season or so, with the Kournikova circus, the contract mess, ice time squabbles, etc. and his eventual signing with Anaheim just served as locking that door.

Old
11-07-2003, 04:42 PM
Vyacheslav
That one guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winger98
Good point about the blue collar types being liked in Detroit. The only really flashy guy in any Detroit sport who the fans seemed to love is Barry Sanders.
I never thought of Barry Sanders as particularly flashy. Look what he did when he scored a touchdown, he just handed the ball to the ref and got off the field. I heard somewhere that he drives a very modest car too. He was very talented but I think he is the perfect example of what Detroit fans like, talented guys who are really modest and down to earth. Other examples of that would be Steve Yzerman and Joe Dumars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winger98
Something that I don't think can be understated with Fedorov, was the taste left in the mouth of fans when he signed with the Canes in '98.
To be honest, I don't remember much of the contract talks Fedorov had with the Wings. IIRC, the Wings were really lowballing Fedorov and he accepted the contract from the Canes because it was pretty much all that was going on at the time. I think Sergei knew the Wings would match and it was his way of assuring he would be a Red Wing again in the easiest way possible(without giving too many concessions, of course. I'm not claiming that Sergei is an angel and the Wings are the devil.) Of course that's speculation but I don't think he could have honestly entertained the idea that he was going to be a Hurricane. That whole thing I blame on the Canes, because they knew they had no chance to make it to the conference finals, the bonus was just there in an effort to scare Detroit from matching. Sure Fedorov could have said no to the offer sheet, but how much longer would it have been before he finally got an offer he wanted from Detroit? That shenanigan may be what got us the cup.

Old
11-07-2003, 05:05 PM
Winger98
powers combined

Send a message via Yahoo to Winger98
I guess when I thought of flashy, I thought of purely on-field style, percieved toughness, etc. While Barry was incredibly modest, he was also all flash and dash on the field. Yzerman, who also had a lot of flash, also has the reputation of playing through a ton of pain and being the epitome of a leader. When I think of Detroit type athletes, I think of Chris Spielman, Kirk Gibson, Bill Lambier (sp?) and McCarty. Guys like Kozlov, Oates, etc. are a necessary evil for success

As for the RFA thing, the contract structure was the only reason the Canes stood a chance in hell of Detroit letting Fedorov go. Yeah, they knew it was dirty as hell to construct the contract that way, but they also knew $26 million in one year is a lot of cash for any team to fork over. I don't think anyone would have been too shocked if Detroit had decided not to match, including Fedorov.

Closed Thread