HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Notices

Are the trade winds blowing in Detroit?

Closed Thread

Old
11-05-2003, 05:21 AM
DanStewartFC
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Are the trade winds blowing in Detroit?

I have a feeling that there is a deal in the works. Just reading what Holland said makes me think it will be soon.

http://www.detnews.com/2003/wings/03...e01-316649.htm

But by Saturday's home game against Nashville, fans could see some more experience come to town.
"I'll be working the phones," Holland said. "We'll look at all of our options. We're in a battle for points (in the standings). Every game is valuable. It's a crucial time."
Though Holland wouldn't speculate about possibilities, some teams could be ready to make some changes that would help the Wings.

"I'm very disappointed in our record to this point," Holland said.

And reading the Q and A with Illitch.

http://www.freep.com/sports/redwings...0_20031030.htm

Q: Do you think there will be a change or two before the trade deadline, other than moving Joseph?
A: "Yeah, I think we've got to get ourselves another power forward. And as the season evolves, whatever we need we're going to go out and get".

So who is available to fill Detroits needs and who is leaving town. I would bet Detroit won't have a first round pick come next June. I personally think Holland and Illitch are going about this the wrong way if the first pull the trigger on a deal, because they need to start looking at the coaching position.

Old
11-05-2003, 05:49 AM
Zoran Manojlovic

here is one move... http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/artic...05_091430_3720

Old
11-05-2003, 07:16 AM
TomHBlain

Send a message via AIM to TomHBlain
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zzzz
Nice pic Z. I hope they do more than sign Steve Thomas. I know he brings some intangibles, etc, but this team looks a bit slow and stale. Losing a young guy like Zettz doesn't help.

Hopefully Holland and Illitch get this figured out. I am usually a Holland supporter more than a basher, so I will go out on a limb saying I trust him to get the wheels moving again in the Motor City.

Old
11-05-2003, 09:40 AM
zetterberg40

Send a message via AIM to zetterberg40
I like how illitch said we need to get another power forward. After this year if shanny doesnt get his act together this new powerforward might have to take his role. Anyway, hopfully holland will do something smart and get a good deal done for us. We can always sign Oates if we need him....

Old
11-05-2003, 11:02 AM
Spitfire11

Quote:
Originally Posted by zetterberg40
I like how illitch said we need to get another power forward. After this year if shanny doesnt get his act together this new powerforward might have to take his role. Anyway, hopfully holland will do something smart and get a good deal done for us. We can always sign Oates if we need him....
Stars are trying hard to get rid of Guerin...never know

Old
11-05-2003, 11:02 AM
Team Dandenault

Send a message via Yahoo to Team Dandenault
I'm sure the Wings would love to get a power forward but they'd have to give up an awful lot right now to get one. I'm not sure they're prepared to part with what it would cost.

Old
11-05-2003, 12:31 PM
zetterberg40

Send a message via AIM to zetterberg40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire11
Stars are trying hard to get rid of Guerin...never know
Id love to get billy g, but we'd be ditching a lot inless there was a 3-way trade involved and we got ride of cujo to some team who is paying good value for him, which wont happen....

Old
11-05-2003, 08:33 PM
Wingboy2999

Send a message via AIM to Wingboy2999 Send a message via Yahoo to Wingboy2999
You think the Stars would even trade Guerin to us? And NO WAY we will take on his salary without CuJo gone.

Old
11-06-2003, 07:43 PM
Angered Hab

Send a message via AIM to Angered Hab Send a message via Yahoo to Angered Hab
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingboy2999
You think the Stars would even trade Guerin to us? And NO WAY we will take on his salary without CuJo gone.

First: Guerin is going anywhere. Those rumors are just that, rumors. Don't believe everything you hear.
Second: No way in Hell Guerin goes up north to D town as long he is in Dallas.
Third: Why is Detroit crying anyway? Their record isn't that bad and after all you guys have 3 top notch goalies. Hasek (ha ha old guy), Cujo (old guy nobody wants), Legace (the guy who should really be your #1 guy, but you're too dumb to notice.
Fourth: You got Hatcher and we all see how well that worked out for you.
Fifth: How many of you Redwings fans will be crying in your cheerios when your old, injury riddled team is sitting home watching the Stanley cup finals again, instead of playing in it?

HaB

Old
11-06-2003, 08:26 PM
kira

Send a message via ICQ to kira Send a message via Yahoo to kira
Who are we going to trade and what for? I don't see it happening right now. And besides, the way we're losing bodies right, left and center we better hang on to all three goalies...we may need them.

Guerin to Detroit? I doubt it. Highly.

Old
11-06-2003, 09:38 PM
Burke's Evil Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Dandenault
I'm sure the Wings would love to get a power forward but they'd have to give up an awful lot right now to get one. I'm not sure they're prepared to part with what it would cost.
There's plenty of *crappy* power forwards you could have for cheap!

John LeClair, anybody? How about some Eric Lindros? Would you like some Owen Nolan on the side? Maybe with some Scott Thornton or Mike LeClerc to wash it all down?

Old
11-07-2003, 02:52 AM
Vyacheslav
That one guy

vCash: 541
Send a message via AIM to Vyacheslav
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angered Hab
First: Guerin is going anywhere. Those rumors are just that, rumors. Don't believe everything you hear.
The discussion of trade rumors does not inherently imply belief.

Quote:
Third: Why is Detroit crying anyway? Their record isn't that bad and after all you guys have 3 top notch goalies. Hasek (ha ha old guy), Cujo (old guy nobody wants), Legace (the guy who should really be your #1 guy, but you're too dumb to notice.
Legace can be number one next year, and we'll see how that works out then. Detroit just recently got back to .500 and I don't think that's acceptable.

Quote:
Fourth: You got Hatcher and we all see how well that worked out for you.
Not sure what you're trying to imply here.

Quote:
Fifth: How many of you Redwings fans will be crying in your cheerios when your old, injury riddled team is sitting home watching the Stanley cup finals again, instead of playing in it?
I dunno, I reckon a number similar to the number of Habs fans who have been doing the same thing for about 10 years. Seriously, how can you talk about not winning championships to Wings fans when we've won three cups since 1997 and the Habs haven't won since 1993?

Old
11-07-2003, 03:08 AM
Team Dandenault

Send a message via Yahoo to Team Dandenault
What about Iginla? If the Flames' season is in the crapper by late February I think the Flames would give him up because I believe he's a free agent after this season.

Old
11-07-2003, 03:44 AM
DanStewartFC
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Dandenault
What about Iginla? If the Flames' season is in the crapper by late February I think the Flames would give him up because I believe he's a free agent after this season.
He will be a restricted free agent only. He has said that he wants to stay in Calgary for the rest of his career since he is a Alberta boy. I think they are trying to hammer out a extension on his contract before the summer.

Old
11-07-2003, 07:46 AM
kira

Soneone on another Wings forum brought up Sergei Berezin in Washington and said he might be interested in playing here. Do you really think he'd be all that good a fit here?

Old
11-07-2003, 08:06 AM
PigPen

No, not at all.

Berezin is as one-dimensional as they come.
Decent offensive performer
Terrible defensive player

He shoots when he has no chance of getting the puck on net.
He rushes when he has no chance of getting the puck through the defense.
He stays out on shifts much longer than he should.
He doesn't go any further back than his own blueline.

Berezin is not the type of player Detroit needs.

We aren't starving for offense. We're 5th in the league. Not bad considering the loss of Fedorov AND Larionov.

Our defense has been terrible though. Why add to the problem by picking up a Berezin?
The wings need a good 4th liner who can kill penalties, grind it out in the corners and chip in 10-15 goals a year.

Old
11-07-2003, 08:07 AM
DanStewartFC
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by kira
Soneone on another Wings forum brought up Sergei Berezin in Washington and said he might be interested in playing here. Do you really think he'd be all that good a fit here?
Definetly Not! He is a flowter with No work ethic. Leave Him in Washington. No backchecking, always waiting for the breakout pass at the blueline.

Old
11-07-2003, 10:29 AM
kira

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cup4Wings
Definetly Not! He is a flowter with No work ethic. Leave Him in Washington. No backchecking, always waiting for the breakout pass at the blueline.

Thanks...I didn't think it was a great idea when I read it, and now I really don't think it's a great idea. He never really impressed me all that much and if he's got that big of an ego problem and otherwise, he'll never fit in.

Now I know why I cringed when I was reading it.

Old
11-07-2003, 02:06 PM
Angered Hab

Send a message via AIM to Angered Hab Send a message via Yahoo to Angered Hab
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vyacheslav
The discussion of trade rumors does not inherently imply belief.

Legace can be number one next year, and we'll see how that works out then. Detroit just recently got back to .500 and I don't think that's acceptable.

Of course you don't find it acceptable, you're a Redwings fan and just like a Yankees fan getting to the playoffs isn't good enough. You Detroit fans are all alike. You think you should win it every year and that just will never happen.

Not sure what you're trying to imply here.

I am implying that Hatcher is overrated, now he will be injury prone for the rest of his career and he is only a few years away from being past his prime.

I dunno, I reckon a number similar to the number of Habs fans who have been doing the same thing for about 10 years. Seriously, how can you talk about not winning championships to Wings fans when we've won three cups since 1997 and the Habs haven't won since 1993?

Well, since I'm not a HABS fan I guess that doesn't apply to me. HaB is just the name I use cuz I'm Canadian. Get it? Okay then.

Old
11-07-2003, 02:33 PM
Vyacheslav
That one guy

vCash: 541
Send a message via AIM to Vyacheslav
Quote:
Well, since I'm not a HABS fan I guess that doesn't apply to me. HaB is just the name I use cuz I'm Canadian. Get it? Okay then.
Even though that doesn't really make sense, just tell me which team you like so I can adapt my comment to your team that has not won as many cups as the Wings in the past 10 years(unless you like the Devils, which I doubt)

Closed Thread