HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT: Rouen, France

Old
05-18-2006, 04:19 PM
Dan K
HFBoards Partner

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Dan K
OT: Rouen, France

Hey guys,

I know we have a few posters on our boards from France, so I was wondering if any were familiar with the Rouen area.

I was accepted today on a student exchange to ESC Rouen, a school in Rouen, for next Winter.

If anyone is familiar with the area, any chance of there being a place to catch Habs games there? Or if I'm willing to make a treck on a weekend, is there any places imparticular to see Habs games in France?

Any help would be appreciated!

Dan K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2006, 05:01 PM
sXe
Yuuuuuup!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakuuuuu
Hey guys,

I know we have a few posters on our boards from France, so I was wondering if any were familiar with the Rouen area.

I was accepted today on a student exchange to ESC Rouen, a school in Rouen, for next Winter.
If anyone is familiar with the area, any chance of there being a place to catch Habs games there? Or if I'm willing to make a treck on a weekend, is there any places imparticular to see Habs games in France?

Grats.
While you're there I recommend trying the freedom fries.

sXe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2006, 05:11 PM
Freaky Habs Fan

If you can't catch any Habs game, come back...it's not worth it without the Habs...

Freaky Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2006, 06:02 PM
tmc

Quote:
Hey guys,

they use to show some games here it's been several years since i've been there though and it's in paris:
http://www.mooseheadparis.com/

tmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2006, 06:50 PM
znk

Quote:
Hey guys,

Nice!
I have no info about france. But to watch Habs games you could buy a sling box and set it up at a relatives house here. And then you could watch the games from france over the internet.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2006, 07:01 PM
Dan K
HFBoards Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmc
they use to show some games here it's been several years since i've been there though and it's in paris:
Awesome, thanks for the link. Paris is 1 hour by train from Rouen, so if they do show Habs games still, I'll definitely try to hit that spot up a couple of times.

Thanks for the various congratulatory comments, and Freaky, my worst case scenario is CJAD online on my laptop. Oh, and znk, I have no relatives in France.

Old
05-18-2006, 07:27 PM
Freaky Habs Fan

Quote:
Awesome, thanks for the link. Paris is 1 hour by train from Rouen, so if they do show Habs games still, I'll definitely try to hit that spot up a couple of times.

Thanks for the various congratulatory comments, and Freaky, my worst case scenario is CJAD online on my laptop. Oh, and znk, I have no relatives in France.
Pffffffffffffff, you're not even a real Habs Fan...

Not but seriously, I'm happy for you...France is a beautiful country. And like they would say: Putin de merde que c'est beau la France...ah regarde, c'est Lance Armstrong...

Freaky Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2006, 07:44 PM
znk

Quote:

I meant...realatives in quebec.
You set up the sling box in their house. And you can watch quebec tv from your computer anywhere in the world.
If I was in your situation I would do this.
(The relative needs a decent internet account).
1-Buy a slingbox. http://www.slingmedia.com/slingbox/
2-Buy and extra tv decoder at your relatives house (like a videotron terminal if they have videotron) it dosent even need to be plugged in to a tv....just have the cable go in it.
3-setup the slingbox on it and voila. Internet TV from quebec...anywhere in the world.

Old
05-19-2006, 05:08 AM
Naoned

Quote:
Hey guys,

Welcome

It's really hard to watch hockey games here in France.
You have to own a satellite, and if so, you'll have the fantastic chance to watch 2 games a week during the regular season. And there are very few places where you can go to watch NHL games because they start between 1 and 2 am. I don't know Rouen myself, but there is a small chance you find something there, because there's a good Ligue Magnus team there (where plays Marc André Thinel, they are 2006 champions). I would'nt bet my money on it, though.

BTW if you come to Paris one day to watch a habs game, I 'll be pleased to have a beer with you.

Naoned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2006, 05:18 AM
sonnytheman

Congrats man! I'm currently on exchange in Scotland, and trust me, its gonna be the best time of your life.

I ended up listening to a lot of games through CJAD, though its tough when the games start at midnight here (and that would be 1:00 AM in France!). Still worth it though

Oh, and about the Moose and Beaver bars, I went to Paris in mid November (I did a full year exchange) and they were advertising a Thanksgiving special. My Canadian friend and I were not impressed

sonnytheman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2006, 05:19 AM
Naoned

If I have time, I'll go and see what these bars do about NHL games.

Last edited by Naoned: 05-19-2006 at 05:31 AM.
Naoned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2006, 03:01 PM
Thibaj

Quote:
Hey guys,

Moosehead bar (near Métro Odéon) is great, large TV screen and the burger is really good... The owner (or the manager?), a guy from Vancouver, is great, he even opened the bar at 2PM just for us to catch a replay of Leafs/Habs this past October!

Beaver bar is OK but only has one small screen (on Ile St-Louis).

They have a UK dish so you get the games that are on the UK/Ireland NASN feed. (The two Hockey Night in Canada saturday games and some week games...)

http://www.nasn.com/

I saw another Canadian bar on the Seine but I've never been at that one.

Thibaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2006, 04:09 PM
StanAjax

Quote:
Hey guys,

First, congratulations for your acceptation in ESC Rouen.

Unfortunately, it's a nightmare to try to watch NHL games here... If you can do znk's solution, that would be the best. I'll have a look myself... Sounds interesting.

'Cos I'm not sure you'll be able to choose "Habs games" in the Canadian bars. It should be only CBC programs, but that has to be checked...

If you were a fan of the Victo Tigres a couple years ago, you'll be thrilled to know that their full former 1st line of Thinel-Mallette-Thinel plays for them. They will be the French defending Champs next season. I'll definitely go to a game there...

And I'll offer you a beer too if you come to Paris.
I already know Naoned Citizen.

StanAjax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2006, 05:01 PM
tmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thibaj
Moosehead bar (near Métro Odéon) is great, large TV screen and the burger is really good... The owner (or the manager?), a guy from Vancouver, is great, he even opened the bar at 2PM just for us to catch a replay of Leafs/Habs this past October!

Beaver bar is OK but only has one small screen (on Ile St-Louis).

They have a UK dish so you get the games that are on the UK/Ireland NASN feed. (The two Hockey Night in Canada saturday games and some week games...)

http://www.nasn.com/

I saw another Canadian bar on the Seine but I've never been at that one.
they also used to serve poutine!

tmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2006, 06:46 PM
znk

so...would the slingbox plan be a possibility?

Old
05-21-2006, 07:23 PM
Dan K
HFBoards Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by znk
so...would the slingbox plan be a possibility?
It is indeed a possibility, thank you for the suggestion. They seem to be a little costly though, and as it is, I'm trying to scramble together sufficient funds for my trip, but if I find myself with an extra 300 bucks or so to spare, that will the plan!

Old
05-21-2006, 11:35 PM
StanAjax

Quote:
Originally Posted by znk
I meant...realatives in quebec.
You set up the sling box in their house. And you can watch quebec tv from your computer anywhere in the world.
If I was in your situation I would do this.
(The relative needs a decent internet account).
1-Buy a slingbox. http://www.slingmedia.com/slingbox/
2-Buy and extra tv decoder at your relatives house (like a videotron terminal if they have videotron) it dosent even need to be plugged in to a tv....just have the cable go in it.
3-setup the slingbox on it and voila. Internet TV from quebec...anywhere in the world.

Part 2- allows you to watch a different program than the one your relatives are watching (assuming they're not watching the Habs !), am I right ?

It would also avoid turning the TV on when nobody's home, thus avoiding the Mrs. McClusky type neighbour to call 911 because something weird is happening next door. Correct ?

If that's the case, I'll definitely consider this option...

With the money I'm earning in Canada, I'm definitely rich enough to buy this...and a brand new PC once back home.

Every Habs fan in France would then be welcome to come home to watch the games, at least Friday & Saturday night ones.

Last edited by StanAjax: 05-21-2006 at 11:44 PM.
Old
05-22-2006, 12:09 AM
znk

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanAjax
Part 2- allows you to watch a different program than the one your relatives are watching (assuming they're not watching the Habs !), am I right ?

If that's the case, I'll definitely consider this option...

With the money I'm earning in Canada, I'm definitely rich enough to buy this...and a brand new PC once back home.

Every Habs fan in France would then be welcome to come home to watch the games, at least Friday & Saturday night ones.

Actualy yes and no.
It will work like you said if you use basic cable. But if you want to watch chanels that arent available with basic cable you need to go thru a decoder. Thankfully the chanels the habs play on are on basic cable.
That's why I suggest getting an other videotron decoder in my example(that's only if you want to watch special chanels). The sling box has an infra red output that controls the videotron decoder(or satelite decoder) so when you change chanels on your computer in france it actualy changes the channel on the videotron decoder in quebec.

I dont know about image quality tho.
So I think the minimum needed is.
In Québec.
1. Cable tv
2. Internet connection (make sure you dont bust the montly upload limit! unlimited upload should be considered.)
3. SlingBox

In france.
1. Computer
2. Internet.

http://www.slingmedia.com/slingbox/faq.php
http://www.slingmedia.com/docs/Sling...setupGuide.pdf

Old
05-22-2006, 05:42 PM
StanAjax

Thanks for the info though.

I've got to check this with my family in Montreal before leaving.

They're not close family, so I'd ask if they could not notice any difference while using their TV or their Internet connection. That should not disturb them...

At least, I'm sure they've got RDS.