HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Who do you want to win the Cup?

View Poll Results: Who do you want to win the Cup?
Anaheim 14 13.73%
Edmonton 60 58.82%
Carolina 5 4.90%
Buffalo 23 22.55%
Voters: 102. You may not vote on this poll

Old
05-21-2006, 11:42 AM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

vCash: 152
Who do you want to win the Cup?

yep. I want the Ducks to win it.

Le Tricolore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2006, 11:44 AM
Phousse

vCash: 500
Honestly, this is the first Stanley Cup final 4 in which I'm not cheering for anyone in particular.

But for the sake of voting, I chose the Edmonton Oilers.

Phousse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2006, 11:46 AM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

vCash: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun
Honestly, this is the first Stanley Cup final 4 in which I'm not cheering for anyone in particular.

But for the sake of voting, I chose the Edmonton Oilers.
heh, I know how you feel. I'm more rooting against Buffalo and Carolina than anything. I won't be too disappointed if the Oil take out Anaheim.

Le Tricolore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2006, 11:51 AM
Team_Spirit
Gangsta Pleks

vCash: 660
I wanna see Briere lift the cup

Team_Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2006, 11:54 AM
cyrisweb

I thought you said posted why..

cyrisweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2006, 01:17 PM
Pat

Oilers
about time lord Stanley's trophy came back in Canada

Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2006, 03:27 PM
Taupy

I want the Oilers to win cause it'll shut the mouth of the Flames' fan.

Taupy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2006, 03:29 PM
Poochie_D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jozeph_Balej
I wanna see Briere lift the cup
Remember what McCabe said about Briere only having played 4 playoff games or something previous to the playoffs? It would be hilarious if the sabres won the cup and made Bryan looks like an idiot once again ( like his, WE WILL NEVER ACCEPT A SALARY CAP comment) what a bonehead.

Poochie_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2006, 06:42 PM
Talent Analyst

Buffalo !

Talent Analyst is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2006, 07:14 PM
Habsfan18

I want Edmonton to win the cup because they are a team from Canada.

But I like Buffalo more than Edmonton.

Habsfan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2006, 07:33 PM
Habs4Life

oiler's only canadian team left

Habs4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2006, 07:36 PM
Mike8

Anaheim or Carolina.

I haven't decided if I want Carolina to win anything or not. I'd really rather they not go too far, because the further they go, the worse they'll do in the future. Don't ask me about the logic, because I'm still trying to make sense of it.

I figure if Buffalo wins the Cup, I'll be OK with that as well. Basic reason: virtually every Buffalo player is a free agent this summer or next summer. They've all overachieved/had career years (pick your glass half-full/half-empty perspective), and winning the Cup will put the cherry on top of a likely over-valued/over-priced group of players. Inevitably, Buffalo won't be able to afford them all, which will then quicken Buffalo's decline to the reality that they are just a good hard-working team like we saw in the mid to late '90s, but not an elite club. Have I mentioned lately how I've grown to dislike the underdog and anything resembling cinderella clubs?

I've grown to like Carolina because I've always had a soft spot for Rutherford. I like how he goes the class-route in building a franchise. He's not a top GM by any means when it comes to building a team, but he certainly has his own approach and I'd like to see him rewarded for it. His approach entails (as mentioned) pure class and respect top-to-bottom: seeking & acquiring Ron Francis; using Francis as the model athlete for the franchise. Removing Primeau, adding Roberts (health-nut), Brind'Amour (health-nut), Wesley (pure class), and letting these veterans rub off on younger players--such as Staal, Cole, Williams, both Wards, etcetera. You see the same type of presence on and off ice in these younger players, and it's nice to watch.

Anaheim I'd be fine with because, like Rutherford, I respect Burke and think he deserves to be a winner. I don't see Anaheim as a cinderella club so much as a franchise that's benefitted from an abrasive GM who's identified a better approach than past approaches, and found niche roles for many of his players. Also, players tend to have better years under new coaches/management, so it's partly that effect. But with Burke at the helm, I do expect to see Anaheim rise to the top until Burke's inevitable falling out with higher execs/other management, he gets scapegoated, etcetera etcetera. That's the type of individual Burke is, but I hope he's rewarded for his short-term excellent impact that he could have on any franchise. Sort of a longer-lasting, more tolerable, more insightful version of Mike Keenan.

Mike8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2006, 07:59 PM
HabsoluteFate

Who the hell is the one person who picked Carolina?

HabsoluteFate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2006, 08:00 PM
Dan K
HFBoards Partner

Send a message via MSN to Dan K
Hrm, tough to tell who I'm pulling for eh?

<----------- !

GO DUCKS GO! Great young team, great stars in Niedermayer and Selanne, good young-ish stars in McDonald and Lupul, 2 very capable goaltenders... What's not to like? (well I guess the fact that Selanne wants to play there and as such won't be a Hab, but aside from that...)

Dan K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2006, 08:09 PM
poeman
Fixing Rangers PP

I picked carolina

staal for the cup

poeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2006, 09:28 PM
MacHabs93

Quote:
Originally Posted by poeman
I picked carolina

staal for the cup

MacHabs93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2006, 09:46 PM
Mike8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakuuuuu
Hrm, tough to tell who I'm pulling for eh?

<----------- !

GO DUCKS GO! Great young team, great stars in Niedermayer and Selanne, good young-ish stars in McDonald and Lupul, 2 very capable goaltenders... What's not to like? (well I guess the fact that Selanne wants to play there and as such won't be a Hab, but aside from that...)
I'm not sure if this is something not to like so much as something I've found comical about Anaheim, which is that as admirable a characteristic of the Ducks' game that their tenacity and constant forechecking/hitting style is, it's comical how the majority of their hits seem so ineffective. I've seen countless number of times where Vishnevski, Salei or whoever on the Ducks D steps up at the blueline and just gets the worst of their attempted hit.

Similarly on the forecheck, watching a guy like Marchant, Friesen, Pahlsson, Rob Niedermayer or MacDonald hitting big guys like Smith, Pronger, et al ... it's largely ineffective. They're just bouncing off their targets.

So as fun as Anaheim is in their tenacity and speed, I have a hard time taking them too seriously on the whole since they're about as physically intimidating as their namesake.

Mike8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2006, 12:45 PM
22SteveBegin22

I still want the Habs to win the cup.

22SteveBegin22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2006, 01:17 PM
A1
Everything is awful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie_D
Remember what McCabe said about Briere only having played 4 playoff games or something previous to the playoffs? It would be hilarious if the sabres won the cup and made Bryan looks like an idiot once again ( like his, WE WILL NEVER ACCEPT A SALARY CAP comment) what a bonehead.

I think that was tucker, it was in response to all the flak Buffalo was giving him about his hit on Hecht.

A1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2006, 02:42 PM
VirginiaMtlExpat
Iggy button advocate

I can't choose between the Oilers, my second favourite team traditionally, and the Sabres, a plucky team with a lot of small, skilled players. I really like 'em both, and I like the fact that they both have an advantage, currently, in their respective series.

I like how the Oilers have been managed, and how many of their recent gambles have paid off (Pronger, Roloson, Samsonov), after years of tight money management. At all times, a great skating, gritty team that embodies what is beautiful about hockey.

I like the Sabres skill players, many of them under the radar for most of their career: Briere, at one point waiver material because of his size, Connolly capping a stunning comeback from head injury, and so on.

Those two, to me, would make for a great final.

VirginiaMtlExpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2006, 03:22 PM
Bouchard

Rooting for the Oilers

Bouchard is offline   Reply With Quote