HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Philly going after Comrie (Link)

Closed Thread

Old
11-04-2003, 11:08 AM
elphy101

vCash: 500
Philly going after Comrie (Link)

http://www.canada.com/edmonton/sport...A-5DEDA343EB8F

Interesting, this was written today by the Oilers most respected journalist Jim Matheson.

I wonder who would be coming back to Edmonton. Philadelphia sure has alot of interesting players. The one that comes to mind would be Comrie+ for Wowitka and Williams. But I wonder if Gagne might be possible to pry out of Philadelphia for a package of Comrie and say Chimera.

Old
11-04-2003, 11:24 AM
Buffaloed
Administrator
Webmaster

vCash: 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by elphy101
But I wonder if Gagne might be possible to pry out of Philadelphia for a package of Comrie and say Chimera.
I can't imagine the Oilers willing to pay Gagne $2.6 million when they're unwilling to give Comrie comparable dollars.

Old
11-04-2003, 11:25 AM
Dr Love

I wouldn't give up Williams straight up for Comrie, let alone with Woywitka, not at this point. Total overpaying. Williams has been arguably the best player on the Flyers this season.

Also, there hasn't been a whisper of this in Philly.

Old
11-04-2003, 11:28 AM
Stonehands77

No thanks from the Philly side. Comrie's a nice talent, but what they'd have to give up to get him would probably make the deal not worth it. Justin Williams (who got mentioned as "might be available") has been the Flyers best forward this season, and I really don't see him being moved since he's part of this turn towards youth Clarke and Hitch have been pushing. Woywitka may be possible, but I'd rather not deal him...he has progressed very nicely and looks to be a good second option after Pitkanen on the defense.

Add to this Comrie's perceived issues in the locker room and selfishness (please note the "perceived" there, as I can only judge by what's being said in the papers about his contract demands, etc.), not to mention that the Flyers are clicking along right now and that adding Comrie would mean they'd have a surplus down the middle (Roenick, Handzus, Primeau, Comrie, Lapointe) while taking away from a weaker position (wing in Williams' case), and I'd say Bobby passes.

From a pure value standpoint, I'm not sure on this since I really don't know much about Chimera to speculate.

Old
11-04-2003, 11:31 AM
elphy101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Love
I wouldn't give up Williams straight up for Comrie, let alone with Woywitka, not at this point. Total overpaying. Williams has been arguably the best player on the Flyers this season.

Also, there hasn't been a whisper of this in Philly.
Yeah no whispers in Edmonton either till today. Matheson is by far the most respected and in the loops sportswriter in Edmonton.

Clarke and Lowe have definitely had some conversations if he says so. My guess is that Lowe is going to try and package Comrie with another player for Gagne.

Financially, the Oilers can afford Gagne, with the rise in the Canadian Dollar and the salary dumps made last season, the Oilers can afford to take on Comrie. Don't forget that last year, with bonuses the Oilers paid Comrie 4.5 Million.

P.S In response to the other comment, Comrie wants out of Edmonton, money is not the reason he is not signing.

Old
11-04-2003, 11:36 AM
Stonehands77

Quote:
P.S In response to the other comment, Comrie wants out of Edmonton, money is not the reason he is not signing.
My mistake then...I had misunderstood this to be about money, and Edmonton being unwilling to overpay a young player. What is the reason he wants out, then, if you don't mind indulging my ignorance on this situation?

Old
11-04-2003, 11:38 AM
Dr Love

Quote:
Yeah no whispers in Edmonton either till today. Matheson is by far the most respected and in the loops sportswriter in Edmonton.

Clarke and Lowe have definitely had some conversations if he says so. My guess is that Lowe is going to try and package Comrie with another player for Gagne.

Financially, the Oilers can afford Gagne, with the rise in the Canadian Dollar and the salary dumps made last season, the Oilers can afford to take on Comrie. Don't forget that last year, with bonuses the Oilers paid Comrie 4.5 Million.

I don't doubt that they have talked. Clarke BETTER have, as should every GM in the league. But I can not phatom Williams being dealt, he is just too damn valuable to the Flyers this year. Gagne though, well it wouldn't surprize me if he were dealt, but I would want more than Comrie, and if needed something else from the Flyers, but along the lines of Woywitka.

Old
11-04-2003, 11:44 AM
elphy101

Quote:
Originally Posted by G_Love
My mistake then...I had misunderstood this to be about money, and Edmonton being unwilling to overpay a young player. What is the reason he wants out, then, if you don't mind indulging my ignorance on this situation?
There not really saying. The word Philosophical Differences has been thrown around quite a bit. The best guess seems to be that Comrie can't handle playing in his hometown spotlight. He can't go anywhere without being recognized.

Plus Lowe ripped him after last years playoff loss, and the sense is he's upset about that.

As well, it sounds like Comrie and head coach MacT are feuding.

Those are the three reasons that most commonly come up.

There is no way that Comrie is asking for 4 Million though. Remember that Gaborik who was in the same exact situation as Comrie (coming of their rookie high bonus contracts) just signed for 3 Million. My guess is that he would sign for around 2 Million possibly less. Maybe the 1.6 that Havlat got.

Old
11-04-2003, 11:46 AM
CCF
This is the year....

Quote:
Originally Posted by G_Love
Being an Edmonton boy Comrie is in the spotlight all the time, with all his friends and family watching and with the added pressure of of being a poster boy for the team Comrie wants to be paid accordingly. He doesn't like being in the spotlight, as far as I know he would like a lesser roll on the team instead of always being the talk of the town.

At least that's how I've understood it, I could be off base.

Old
11-04-2003, 11:48 AM
IGM

Comrie is very good and I would love to have him on my team but not at the cost of Williams and Wyw. I suppose a scenario where the Oils get Gagne and the Fleas get Comrie would be a fair enough one and a good change of scenery for both of them. The money isn't going to be the issue in my opinion as both sides in the Comrie dispute have said that it wasn't the primary problem.

Old
11-04-2003, 11:48 AM
elphy101

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotTheRat
I might be in the minority here (I often am as I am an African-American Jew) but I believe Comrie to be equal to Gagne as far as ability goes. I'd bet you'd get an even split of GMs when queried as to whom they'd rather have on their teams, all things being equal.
I could agree with that. Comrie is a damn good player. He plays hard every night. Before his injury, he was the Oilers best player for the previous year and a half. During the stretch run the year before last, Comrie almost singlehandedly carried the Oilers into the playoffs. He had something like 5 Game winners in a 15 game stretch.

Plus Comrie does not back down. He'll go in corners and do anything to win. Ideally, I would actually rather see the Oilers sign Comrie then trade for Gagne. But Comrie has come out and said there is zero percent chance he will sign in edmonton.

I think people are seriously underestimating Comrie. During the last half of last year, Comrie struggled but he was playing with a broken thumb. Before the injury, he was on pace for another 30 goal season.

Old
11-04-2003, 11:54 AM
Dr Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotTheRat
I might be in the minority here (I often am as I am an African-American Jew) but I believe Comrie to be equal to Gagne as far as ability goes. I'd bet you'd get an even split of GMs when queried as to whom they'd rather have on their teams, all things being equal.
All very well and probably true, but since Comrie will never play for the Oilers again, his value is lower than it truly is. Lowe isn't selling, he's buying, and the best offer he gets most likely won't be what Comrie is really worth. It's analogus to the second Lindros trade in that way.

Old
11-04-2003, 11:54 AM
IGM

Oh, and either I am missunderstanding what you said (NotTheRat) (an easy thing to do if you read the sentence) or give it a rest on the african american jew thing.

Old
11-04-2003, 11:55 AM
elphy101

Quote:
All very well and probably true, but since Comrie will never play for the Oilers again, his value is lower than it truly is. Lowe isn't selling, he's buying, and the best offer he gets most likely won't be what Comrie is really worth. It's analogus to the second Lindros trade in that way.
Except Comrie is a hell of a lot younger, and doesn't have a broken head. Lindros was cheaper because it was very possible that his career could have easily been over in the first game he played for his new team.

Old
11-04-2003, 11:58 AM
Dr Love

Quote:
Except Comrie is a hell of a lot younger, and doesn't have a broken head. Lindros was cheaper because it was very possible that his career could have easily been over in the first game he played for his new team.
He was also a lot cheaper because the Flyers didn't have the option of just keeping him, they HAD to trade him. Any other player on the Oilers Lowe does not have to trade. He doesn't have to trade Salo. He doesn't have to trade Smith. He has to trade Comrie though. Thus, the price is lower, unless a bidding war drives the price up. But there hasn't been a bidding war, at least, not that we know of.

Old
11-04-2003, 12:03 PM
AvsGuy

if Comrie goes to Philly, i can just imagine it being something wimpy. Comrie for Sami Kapanen and a pick. yuk.

Old
11-04-2003, 12:03 PM
gonzo11
Give the dog a bone

Why the Oilers want to move Comrie

1)Money--of cuorse

2)Not the team leader they thought he was

3)He said somethings about the city of Edmonton on a radio talk show he should not ahve said

4)Pressure--Comrie can not handle onthe attention

5)The oilers called him a poor little rich kid

BTW

Jim Math(Edmonton Journal) is a good reporter---even he admitted that he got alot of info from the oilers(with Sather in Charge) when they were trying to create a trade demand

Old
11-04-2003, 12:05 PM
mrs9x

You're right Dr. Love

Lowe is going to have to get less than face value for Comrie. Lowe has to get a deal done soon, while every other GM can just wait and let the price fall down. I also haven't heard of many people calling around wanting to get him. Put all those together, and the price will be lower than market value.

Personally, I wouldn't trade Williams for Comrie straight up, let alone with Woywitka added. Plus, unless a center is going the other way, I don't know where Comrie plays because then we would have five centers.

I think if we wanted to trade Gagne as well, we could probably get a better offer and address our issues at wing more with other teams.

Old
11-04-2003, 12:13 PM
Hemmer

Quote:
He has to trade Comrie though.

Why? Barring a new CBA, we own his *** until he's 31. Believe me, Lowe is stubborn enough to keep him until then too, if he doesn't like what he hears from other teams or his agent.

Want Comrie, but don't want to trade for him? Probably cost whatever team 2-4 first rounders, depending on the offer sheet, which we could also match - subsequently killing two birds with one stone. The only lose-lose scenario is for the Oil to sign MC and have him refuse to honor the contract ALA Yashin. Then, I could see a 70 cents on the dollar return.

Old
11-04-2003, 12:14 PM
mkc2

How about Comrie for Seidenberg and a high draft pick!

Old
11-04-2003, 12:23 PM
Dr Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemmer
Why? Barring a new CBA, we own his *** until he's 31.
At which point he'll have no value. The longer Lowe waits, the lower his value. He's already missed training camp and he's missing more and more of the season as the days go by. You can't sit on an asset that will never play for you forever. Management above Lowe would be fools to let him hold on to Comrie until after the CBA.

Imagine you have a pile of dirt, and it's completely useless to you, but 5 other people want your dirt because they're starting a garden. Are you just going to let that dirt sit in your backyard until you damn well feel like it and not get something in return for it? I doubt you would.

Old
11-04-2003, 12:27 PM
AvsGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkc2
How about Comrie for Seidenberg and a high draft pick!
how about no!

Old
11-04-2003, 12:28 PM
Ryno
BEHOLD!!

Quote:
Imagine you have a pile of dirt, and it's completely useless to you, but 5 other people want your dirt because they're starting a garden. Are you just going to let that dirt sit in your backyard until you damn well feel like it and not get something in return for it? I doubt you would.
If 5 other people want my pile of dirt, I dictate the price I will accept for it.

Law of Supply and Demand.

Old
11-04-2003, 12:30 PM
Dr Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryno
If 5 other people want my pile of dirt, I dictate the price I will accept for it.

Law of Supply and Demand.
And if no one is willing to give up what you demand, they'll go to someone else, and you're stuck with a totally useless pile of dirt.

And then one day your wife will yell at you to get rid of that pile of dirt. But you don't and then one day you come home and it's gone and she has a bunch of new clothes that you haven't seen.....

Old
11-04-2003, 12:30 PM
Wingboy2999

Send a message via AIM to Wingboy2999 Send a message via Yahoo to Wingboy2999
Quote:
Originally Posted by AvsGuy
if Comrie goes to Philly, i can just imagine it being something wimpy. Comrie for Sami Kapanen and a pick. yuk.
Might as well keep Comrie and wait for something better.....

Closed Thread