HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Philly going after Comrie (Link)

Closed Thread

Old
11-04-2003, 12:31 PM
Dr Love

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingboy2999
Might as well keep Comrie and wait for something better.....
But what if nothing better ever comes along? It might, but you don't know.

Old
11-04-2003, 12:32 PM
AvsGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingboy2999
Might as well keep Comrie and wait for something better.....
well, that would be the logical thing to do, but we're talking about the guy who dealt Carter for Dvorak and Niinimaa for Isbister...

Old
11-04-2003, 12:32 PM
Vyse64
N64

vCash: 611
Send a message via MSN to Vyse64
i don't care if Lowe lets comrie sit forever he is going to make an example out of Comrie, Lowe isn't going to let Comrie push him around twice

Old
11-04-2003, 12:34 PM
Vyse64
N64

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvsGuy
well, that would be the logical thing to do, but we're talking about the guy who dealt Carter for Dvorak and Niinimaa for Isbister...
you forgot Cross and Torres
not so much for Cross but Torres is who Lowe really wanted I bet

Old
11-04-2003, 12:38 PM
AvsGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by HemskyFreak83
you forgot Cross and Torres
not so much for Cross but Torres is who Lowe really wanted I bet
yeah, but it doesn't look to me like trading Niinimaa was worth acquiring Torres...

Old
JCD

I can't see Comrie being successful as a Flyer. Square peg, round hole. I certainly don't think he is worth trading a bluechip for from the Flyers.

Williams is having a great year. Why would we trade him?

Woywitka's value will only go up and he (along with Pitkanen) form the cornerstone of our future on the blueline.

Gagne is in a rut, but is on par with Comrie already and has higher upside.

If the Flyers can get him cheap, then great. If he is going to cost one of the major components of the rebuilding effort, and he likely would, then no thanks.

Old
Gags1288

Comrie's and Gagne's talents might be comparable, but their all around game's are not. I don't by this rumor for a variety of reasons. Number 1, because the Flyers have no need at center. Handzus is playing like a real #2 center, Roenick's 1, and Primeau is a very good 3rd line center. Number 2, I don't believe that Comrie would play very much in Hitchcock's system. I wouldn't deal any one of Willy, Gags, Zus, or Pitkanen for Comrie. If he could be acquired for something else, than why not, but it's not a dire need.

Old
11-04-2003, 12:43 PM
Ryno
BEHOLD!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Love
And then one day your wife will yell at you to get rid of that pile of dirt. But you don't and then one day you come home and it's gone and she has a bunch of new clothes that you haven't seen.....
Ain't that the truth!

I've been looking for my pile (1981 Telefunken receiver which I've been meaning to fix 3 months ago) for the last week.

Strangely enough, my wife ended up with a coffee table for the living room, which apparently came from "her mother"

Coincidence?

(cue Twilight Zone theme)

(I just found my pile, it was in the closet)

Old
11-04-2003, 12:52 PM
AvsGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryno
Ain't that the truth!

I've been looking for my pile (1981 Telefunken receiver which I've been meaning to fix 3 months ago) for the last week.

Strangely enough, my wife ended up with a coffee table for the living room, which apparently came from "her mother"

Coincidence?

(cue Twilight Zone theme)

(I just found my pile, it was in the closet)
pfff, you're a nut!

Old
11-04-2003, 12:57 PM
leaflover
New hope

vCash: 4850
Quote:
Originally Posted by elphy101

I think people are seriously underestimating Comrie. During the last half of last year, Comrie struggled but he was playing with a broken thumb. Before the injury, he was on pace for another 30 goal season.
I think alot of posters are devalueing Comrie based on his holdout status and perceived attitude problem.
However i have to agree with you that he is a high end talent.He's fairly fiesty for a small guy and his skills are terrific not to mention his effort.

Old
11-04-2003, 12:59 PM
Ryno
BEHOLD!!

Quote:
pfff, you're a nut!
That's what the therapist said!

Old
11-04-2003, 01:38 PM
Hemmer

Quote:
Yeah, I'm not sold on the Niinimaa trade - I don't think I ever will be actually.

Anson "Hollywood" Carter is a goalsuck. Anyone that considers him a powerfoward hasn't seen him play enough. Dvo works 10x harder in all areas of the game, and even though he hasn't scored yet - he is still outproducing Carter this season. It is certainly conceivable that Carter will score more goals than Radek, but I think it will work out even in overall pts.
Dvo is also a regular on our PK - Carter never was.
Good trade IMO. Cross also solidified our D (strange as that may sound) and provides a nice, veteran presence for our young guys. Cross has outperformed anybody's expectations in Edmonton, and as for the other guy in the deal, Ales Pisa - he's playing in Europe right now.

Old
11-04-2003, 01:46 PM
Peter

vCash: 50
Handzus and 3rd rounder for Comrie.

Edmonton will need to get a center back when they trade Comrie.

Old
11-04-2003, 02:36 PM
JCD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter
Handzus and 3rd rounder for Comrie.

Edmonton will need to get a center back when they trade Comrie.
Why would the Flyers do this?

Old
11-04-2003, 02:50 PM
Freudian
Patty likes beef

vCash: 50
I think Gagne would fit Edmonton, and Edmonton would fit Gagne.

Old
11-04-2003, 03:23 PM
Vyse64
N64

Quote:
yeah, but it doesn't look to me like trading Niinimaa was worth acquiring Torres...
Torres just scored his 4thh on the season and 2nd on the PP and has 3 assists
i call that a good trade so far

Old
11-04-2003, 03:44 PM
Steve L*

Quote:
if Comrie goes to Philly, i can just imagine it being something wimpy. Comrie for Sami Kapanen and a pick. yuk.
Try watching Kappy play, he is not wimpy, he finishes every check.
Wimps dont usually play on the checking line alongside Brashear and Primeau.

Old
11-04-2003, 03:45 PM
Dr Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve L
Try watching Kappy play, he is not wimpy, he finishes every check.
Wimps dont usually play on the checking line alongside Brashear and Primeau.
I don't think he meant wimpy in terms of toughness, but in terms of what's going to Edmonton.

Old
11-04-2003, 03:52 PM
rework

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCD
Why would the Flyers do this?
Well, they would gain a few years on the age side and Comrie probably does have a significantly higher offensive upside.

Of course on the downside, the Flyers give up a lot in the way of size, and if there's one thing this "youth movement" seems to be lacking is skilled players with size.

Old
11-04-2003, 03:58 PM
Dr Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by rework
Well, they would gain a few years on the age side and Comrie probably does have a significantly higher offensive upside.

Of course on the downside, the Flyers give up a lot in the way of size, and if there's one thing this "youth movement" seems to be lacking is skilled players with size.
The age factor doesn't matter in this deal. Yes, Comrie has more upside, but he doesn't really fit in Hitchcock's system, whereas Handzus is a near perfect fit. Handzus is part of that youth movement the Flyers are undergoing. Sure, he's not "young" but he isn't an aging vet on the downslope of his career either. Handzus for Comrie doesn't make a whole heap of sense for the Flyers.

Old
11-04-2003, 04:07 PM
rework

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Love
The age factor doesn't matter in this deal.
I agree with everything you've said, except the above. While 3 years difference is not huge, it would be a consideration. The rest of the young Flyers are in their low 20's... Handzus and KJ are the two 'tweeners - Not old vets, but they will be in the UFA range when all the youngsters hit their prime.

With the possibility of yet another reduction in the UFA age with the new CBA, age should be a consideration in any trades made this year.

Old
11-04-2003, 04:11 PM
Dr Love

Quote:
I agree with everything you've said, except the above. While 3 years difference is not huge, it would be a consideration. The rest of the young Flyers are in their low 20's... Handzus and KJ are the two 'tweeners - Not old vets, but they will be in the UFA range when all the youngsters hit their prime.

With the possibility of yet another reduction in the UFA age with the new CBA, age should be a consideration in any trades made this year.
That's assuming their contracts end at that time. Doesn't matter, fact remains that Handzus for Comrie doesn't make a lot of sense for the Flyers, regardless of who has the higher upside.

Old
11-04-2003, 04:25 PM
JCD

Quote:

You said it.

We have several smaller skilled forwards. We don't have a guy like Handzus.

I can't see Comrie being successful with the Flyers. He just doesn't seem like an 'East Coast' player and he sure doesn't seem cut out for Hitchcock's 'grind'em' hockey.

Comrie is of no interest to me as a Flyer fan.

Old
11-04-2003, 08:19 PM
SouthFlyer82

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCD
You said it.

We have several smaller skilled forwards. We don't have a guy like Handzus.

I can't see Comrie being successful with the Flyers. He just doesn't seem like an 'East Coast' player and he sure doesn't seem cut out for Hitchcock's 'grind'em' hockey.

Comrie is of no interest to me as a Flyer fan.

Why do you say that? Comrie plays hard and is no push over and has great hands. If guys like Roenick and Modano can fit so can he. I wouldn't trade Gagne or Williams for him, but I wouldn't mind him and would think about a Handzus for Comrie one for one deal.

Old
11-05-2003, 02:56 AM
JCD

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthFlyer82
Why do you say that? Comrie plays hard and is no push over and has great hands. If guys like Roenick and Modano can fit so can he. I wouldn't trade Gagne or Williams for him, but I wouldn't mind him and would think about a Handzus for Comrie one for one deal.
Modano and JR are also both over 6' foot and 190 pounds. They have at least 20 pounds on Comrie.

Primeau is an UFA after this year. Who knows if he will be brought back. If you trade Handzus, you leave us painfully small down center: Lapointe, Gagne, Richards, Comrie. Not a single one even 6' or 190 pounds.

Closed Thread