HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

Scouting Report: Andrej Meszaros

Closed Thread

Old
05-22-2006, 07:38 PM
PatrickEaves
Karan S'Jet

vCash: 500
Scouting Report: Andrej Meszaros

Here's my second one. The one one Ray Emery was relatively well recieved, although, I suspect that a lot of it had to do with people just happy to see a topic that wasn't either: a) A Havlat trade proposal, b) Ray Emery sucks, or c) What's wrong with this team?

--

Strengths:
  • Has a very hard shot that can beat the goalkeeper when it hits the net
  • Plays a sound defensive game, will take the body, instead of being caught watching the puck
  • Has a fairly accurate breakout pass when given time
  • Has good hockey sense, knows where he should be on the ice
  • A good skater

Weaknesses:
  • Can't hit the net with any consistency from the point. Will miss the net, wildly more often than not
  • Will make rookie mistakes on occasion (pinching when he shouldn't, watching the puck, instead of playing the body on a rush)
  • Can be pressured at times into making a mistake
  • Doesn't block shots particularly well.

General Comments:
Meszasaurous surprised everyone out of camp. Expected to play this year in the AHL, he made the team out of training camp as the 5th defenseman, forcing the team to carry an extra player(Schubert), that they were unwilling to put on waivers to send down to Binghamton. Then he played so well, he received a promotion to the 4th defensemen spot next to Redden, although most Senators fans would say it was more to allow Volchenkov to play on the left side, where he plays much better.
Yes, Meszaros made glaring rookie mistakes every so often, but he showed that he belonged in the NHL, with the highlight being shutting down Jagr with Volchenkov during the injury situation with the Ottawa defensemen near the end of the season. There is not much even the worse critics can say about this rookie's play during the season. His play during the playoffs, however, was not quite as good, but if we have learned anything about this defensemen from Slovakia, it is that he can surprise everyone.

--

As I said last time feel free to give your own opinions. Like I said, I live in Calgary, and thus I don't get to see all that many Senators games, and thus, I could have missed something, or be completely wrong in some other things. One can only learn when they are told what they are wrong in.

Last edited by PatrickEaves: 05-22-2006 at 07:55 PM.
Old
05-22-2006, 07:50 PM
Brandi

Good post and comments.

The only one I'm not sure I agree with is his accuracy in hitting the net. I thought he did a good job there overall. However, the stats may say otherwise.

I agree that his inexperience hurt him a bit , however, I do see him having a lot of potential in hitting those 2 line passes up the middle, solid hits, great shots. Reminds me a bit of Redden.

And thank you for not posting a Trade Havlat proposal.

Old
05-22-2006, 08:51 PM
Clutch Mediocrity

That's pretty much bang on IMO. Nice read. Hopefully you continue with some of these because they are quite imformative and good to look at when evalutating our roster.

=============

On the shot, it definatly does need some improved accuracy, but thankfully it got better as the year went on I thought and even was never that bad to begin with IMO. His 60 missed shots (as per NHL.com) is bad but not horrible. Phaneuf is horrible, missing 128 shots placing him 7th in the league as a defenseman. Places 1-6 were held by forwards and Dion missed the mark more than known shooters such as Gagne, Jagr, Alferdsson Iginla, Modin, and Hossa.

A problem with his point-shot, I find, is simply getting the shot through. At times he electes to try and shoot through a player and it results in a good scoring chance against. He'd be better served to find an open teammate in that situation or even just get the puck deep. I like the "throw it on net" mentality, but in order for that to work the puck has to actually get to the goal.

I find this happens alot in particular with Mez when using his wrist-shot, trying to cut into the middle to get a better angle. It gets blocked far too often and at times just seems weak with little to no power behind it. Ironically, that very same play of his often seems to have eyes when it does make it to the desired destination. And at key times to get us back in the game / pull away / put the game to rest, too boot. The Tampa and Vancouver games jump to mind immediately and that's just off the top of my head.

Meszaros could also put on some weight. He's got a good frame at around 6'1 but still doesn't weigh 190lbs according to some sources. This will only be improved upon with time I'm sure. It'd add a nice element to his game. Maybe it could augment his physical play aswell. He almost always finishes his checks but the big and mean hits were few and far between this rookie season, unlike in the Dub where he was a monster and boarderline dirty at times. Perhaps this will develop at the NHL level as he becomes more confortable, experienced, and above all stronger. I won't get my hopes up as he likely won't change that much in style, but it is a possibility. He's shown the skill to change styles effectively and on short notice already in coming across the pond.

Old
05-22-2006, 10:47 PM
RTWAP*

Mesz needs to go to the Bryan McCabe school of point shooting.

Seriously.

He's got a really interesting technique. He doesn't worry about the goalie and the net. He just trusts that the defender is in the right position (directly between the net and the puck), and then McCabe fires it ankle-high just outside the defender's leg. It's a lot easier to hit a target area 8 feet away than one 30 feet away.

If the puck is 6 inches off the ice at 8 feet then it will be about 2 feet off the ice (over the pads, under the blocker/glove) when it reaches the net.

If the goalie is centered in the net, and the point man is firing to one side or the other of a defender then he's got a good chance of avoiding the Smolinksi sweet spot.

Old
05-23-2006, 11:46 AM
The Fuhr

Awsome work once again.

Meszaraus reminds me of a young Lidstrom. He may not develop into the type of defenseman Lidstrom is, but as of right now Meszaraus plays exactly how Lidstrom played when he enterd the league. All the tools are there to be that type of defenseman.

Old
05-23-2006, 07:10 PM
PatrickEaves
Karan S'Jet

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalfTheWiseNPowerful
Mesz needs to go to the Bryan McCabe school of point shooting.

Seriously.

He's got a really interesting technique. He doesn't worry about the goalie and the net. He just trusts that the defender is in the right position (directly between the net and the puck), and then McCabe fires it ankle-high just outside the defender's leg. It's a lot easier to hit a target area 8 feet away than one 30 feet away.

If the puck is 6 inches off the ice at 8 feet then it will be about 2 feet off the ice (over the pads, under the blocker/glove) when it reaches the net.

If the goalie is centered in the net, and the point man is firing to one side or the other of a defender then he's got a good chance of avoiding the Smolinksi sweet spot.
Oddly enough, that makes sense....

Old
05-23-2006, 07:50 PM
Pangu

I think he could use additional speed. He has good speed, but at the level at which we want him to play, his speed might be limiting. I mean he is no Neidermeyer in terms of his speed and that is unfortunate.

Old
05-23-2006, 07:52 PM
The Mars Volchenkov

Send a message via MSN to The Mars Volchenkov
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuhr86
Meszaraus reminds me of a young Lidstrom. He may not develop into the type of defenseman Lidstrom is, but as of right now Meszaraus plays exactly how Lidstrom played when he enterd the league. All the tools are there to be that type of defenseman.
Calm down there. Don't compare him to one of the top defenseman to ever play the game.

Old
05-24-2006, 08:03 AM
The Fuhr

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensGuy
Calm down there. Don't compare him to one of the top defenseman to ever play the game.
I didn't. I said all the tools are there. Does that meen he will put it all together? I cant ansew that. Theres lots of players in the league that have the tools to be great, Victor Kozlov comes to mind but he is not that good. Meszaros has the tools to be a star d-man in the Lidstrom mold.

Old
05-24-2006, 09:54 AM
The Mars Volchenkov

Send a message via MSN to The Mars Volchenkov
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuhr86
I didn't. I said all the tools are there. Does that meen he will put it all together? I cant ansew that. Theres lots of players in the league that have the tools to be great, Victor Kozlov comes to mind but he is not that good. Meszaros has the tools to be a star d-man in the Lidstrom mold.
I don't think he does, not even close. I think he can be a top pairing defenseman for sure, but not sure if he'll be a #1 guy just yet.

Old
05-24-2006, 01:41 PM
The Fuhr

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensGuy
I don't think he does, not even close. I think he can be a top pairing defenseman for sure, but not sure if he'll be a #1 guy just yet.
Ya I agree with that, but when Lidstrom came in the league he did not look like a franchise defenseman either.

Old
05-24-2006, 04:00 PM
PatrickEaves
Karan S'Jet

Quote:
Originally Posted by champben2002
I think he could use additional speed. He has good speed, but at the level at which we want him to play, his speed might be limiting. I mean he is no Neidermeyer in terms of his speed and that is unfortunate.
Because SO MANY people have speed like Neidermeyer.

Old
05-24-2006, 04:08 PM
joe_shannon_1983*

Send a message via MSN to joe_shannon_1983*
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickEaves
Because SO MANY people have speed like Neidermeyer.
Agree with that. Niedermayer is probably the best skating defenseman since Paul Coffey.

Old
05-24-2006, 10:00 PM
Pangu

Ya, I know that, but I wish him to be an elite defencemen of Neidermeyer quality and that is something that will limit his game. I mean I really cant see too many more limits to his game. At the moment the stars are the limit outside of his speed and his size. Speed is hard to come by, but I wish that he could add that speed to his arsenal of talents.

Closed Thread