HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

What'a a roller hockey girdle like?

Old
05-24-2006, 04:10 PM
sc37

vCash: 700
What'a a roller hockey girdle like?

The deal is I'm tried of hurting my butt/tailbone and hip when I take a fall. I'm wearing a low end pant that is a little loose since I'm between sizes. So I'm thinking about getting a rolley hockey girdle to wear underneath and use my current pant as like a padded shell. I just never had any experience with a roller girdle before. How well are they padded? I looked at pics of them on like hockeygiant, etc but I can't tell how well padded they especially the butt where I need it

sc37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2006, 06:15 PM
bleedgreen

vCash: 500
ive used a nexed girdle, and a gear one. they both worked fine for roller. they arent as padded as ice ones, and they are lighter. the gear one had a better butt protector. if your seriously in need of more protection you may try to find an ice one. maybe an old one at play it again sports or something. i find that i only really need it every now and then, but you need it you really, really need it. if you play d, its defnitely worth it, as youll be in the way of a lot of shots.

bleedgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2006, 06:19 PM
raskolnikov

Send a message via AIM to raskolnikov
i have a nike quest one which is pretty hard to find. i love it because the hip pads are like wings so they arent attached. supposedly it allows for more freedom while moving. i love it but havent tried any other one. the thigh pads are plastic everything else is some high impact foam. some areas are obviously thicker then others. the built in cup holder is a bonus if you play (most have that though). i havent been hurt at all with it

raskolnikov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2006, 06:21 PM
Qui Gon Dave

I don't know if its just the model I've been using (I think its called the Mission D1 - it was their top model released over here around 2004 at about 60) but I've never been that impressed with the level of padding on it. The level of flexibility and the lack of weight to it is fantastic, can't fault it there, I never feel like it is restricting my movement. The padding on the other hand aint so impressive. A good example of why i wasn't impressed with it occured during a game about a year ago. We were getting thrashed and the other team was just shooting the puck from everywhere, particularly the defence. As a forward who doesn't mind blocking shots, I was doing what i could to help stop some of those shots get through. Some of those shots caught me on the padding just above the knee and it didn't half hurt and i got some big bruises but that is to be expected. It would have been nice if the padding there was stiffer or thicker but thats not what concerned me. As well as being bruised where the shots hit me, after the game i noticed that my hips were covered in bruises as well from the contact with the ground where i'd slid in front of the shots. My technique for sliding shot blocks isn't too bad, I certainly don't throw myself at the ground but I expected the pads to be a little more effective. I've also been left feeling sore for a few days after tripping/being tripped and landing on my backside. And I've also gotten some big bruises after getting hit with the puck on wrist shots or stray passes that aren't even that hard. The best conclusion i can come to on girdles (based on a very limited range i've worn, including an old franklin one) is that all of them are designed purely for comfort and flexibility, protection isn't that strong a design point, although that said, the padding on the backside is better than the padding elsewhere on my model, but still not fantastic. If there is a sort of heavy duty girdle out there, I'd love to give that a go, kind of a half way between a girdle and a hockey short. If there isn't, I think I'll buy some shorts, regardless of the decreased mobility.

As for combining them with a short, I don't know how that would work out. I imagine it would only serve to make movement a little more difficult without adding a significant level of protection.

Keep in mind though that my girdle is a few years old and the technology may be better in the newer models and there may be girdles out there with better levels of protection than the one i am using. If anyone could give me any details of a model that offers decent protection, I'd appreciate any information. Otherwise, I think I'll get some shorts and wear them under my covers, even though it may look rubbish

Qui Gon Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2006, 10:16 PM
bladoww
Team of the Future

Roller/Inline girdles probably won't be as bulky as ice girdles, so if protection is your main focus I would go with an ice girdle and just get the pant shell. Using any girdle WITH regular ice pants will probably inhibit a ton of flexibility, and could potentially make it worse (lack of flexibility, movement could make you fall more often).

bladoww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2006, 02:39 PM
BringBackStevens

check out the mission thorax... its basically a lightweight with less padding version of an ice girdle. think they are about 40 bucks

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2006, 03:27 PM
sc37

vCash: 700
My pants fit pretty baggy right now, and I'm pretty lanky so there's a decent amount of room in my pants (ok that sounded weird) so idk if felxibility might be a problem or not. Thinking it might be ok...or do they make padded compression shorts?

sc37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2006, 03:28 PM
Greeneye

I have an older mission inline girdle. it was really comfortable and form fitting but I would not wear it to play ice.

Greeneye is offline   Reply With Quote