HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Tortorella's quote about contracts

Old
05-23-2006, 07:42 AM
donelikedinner

vCash: 500
Tortorella's quote about contracts

"There are a lot of contracts out there that I don't think players deserve. This one here, there's no question as far as what he's done and what's he going to be able to do because there's more, and Brad knows that."

the rest

donelikedinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2006, 01:33 PM
swflyers8*

Send a message via Yahoo to swflyers8*
Quote:
Originally Posted by donelikedinner
"There are a lot of contracts out there that I don't think players deserve. This one here, there's no question as far as what he's done and what's he going to be able to do because there's more, and Brad knows that."

the rest

What's the laugh for? The guy is a Conn Smythe winner. Leader in assists for the franchise. Second all-time in points and led the Lightning in scoring this season, his third time in five seasons.

What's the problem?

swflyers8* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2006, 01:42 PM
VaFlyer

I think the problem is, they overpaid. He would not have gotten that in the open market. He was going to be a RFA. What was the rush to pay him so much? Why not let some "comparison" UFA's get signed and see where the market is? If you are willing to go to this number one way or anther there is no harm.

Here is the other question: They paid him this money because "there's no question as far as what he's done, and what's he going to be able to do because there's more." What happens if more never shows up? They paid him for what they "BELIEVE" he can do. What if this was what he could do?

They overpaid.

VaFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2006, 05:40 PM
BringBackStevens

Quote:
Originally Posted by HungryforHockey25
What's the laugh for? The guy is a Conn Smythe winner. Leader in assists for the franchise. Second all-time in points and led the Lightning in scoring this season, his third time in five seasons.

What's the problem?
let me ask you this: you think brad richards ranks with jagr and thornton? those type of players are the ones that should be making 8 million in my books.

6 million is what the 2nd tier of amazing players should earn, and thats what brad richards is.

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2006, 07:32 PM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
i think richards is pretty much worth it. hes probably gonna get the C next year, hes a solid top line center, is responsible defensivly, plays the point on the PP, is only 26 years old and is already getting 90 pts a season. he is definitly worth aroun 7 mil. 7.8 is a but much but you gotta do what you gotta do to lock down your number 1 player.

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2006, 08:01 PM
Bruwinz37

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylez19
let me ask you this: you think brad richards ranks with jagr and thornton? those type of players are the ones that should be making 8 million in my books.

6 million is what the 2nd tier of amazing players should earn, and thats what brad richards is.
I would take Richards over both Jagr and Thornton. That said, I think that is a lot of money for him.

Bruwinz37 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2006, 08:03 PM
donelikedinner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruwinz37
I would take Richards over both Jagr and Thornton. That said, I think that is a lot of money for him.
over Joe?

donelikedinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2006, 08:54 PM
BringBackStevens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruwinz37
I would take Richards over both Jagr and Thornton
no chance

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2006, 11:45 PM
swflyers8*

Send a message via Yahoo to swflyers8*
Quote:
you think brad richards ranks with jagr and thornton? those type of players are the ones that should be making 8 million in my books.
Yes. Jagr has been around for a long time, he has what 2 Stanley Cups and that was playing with Mario. Thornton is known for being a choke artist in the playoffs. I think Richards has proven that he isn't a choke artist come playoff time. Richards had 1 LESS point than Thornton did in one round of playoff hockey while Big Joe had 2 rounds of hockey. Richards had 5 games and Thornton had 11 games.

Quote:
They paid him for what they "BELIEVE" he can do. What if this was what he could do?
From another thread discussing this very topic:

Richards, the Lightning’s all-time assist leader (261) and second on the team’s all-time scoring list (368 points), has a long list of accomplishments in only five NHL seasons. Among his achievements:

• He is the only player in franchise history to post five consecutive 60-point seasons and three consecutive 70-point seasons
• He has missed only two games in his first five seasons• He ranks fifth in team history with 107 goals
• He ranks ninth in the NHL in points during the past five seasons (368), first on the Lightning and among players 26 or younger
• Since the 2000-01 season, he ranks third in the NHL in assists with 261, trailing only Joe Thornton and Jaromir Jagr
• He ranks second among NHL forwards in games played since 2000-01 (408)

So yeah I do think he is up there with those 2. He got the right deal. If TB gets a goalie, they may actually be dangerous again.

God, I can't believe I am defending a Lightning player of all people.

swflyers8* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2006, 12:15 AM
BobbyClarkeFan16

I think people just need to get over the whole contract that Brad Richards got. He is one of the top 10 players in the game today. He does his job unassumingly and I think the fact that he doesn't get the press of a Thornton or Jagr is what's setting most people off on the contract.

Richards is a proven playoff performer, makes others around him better, takes a regular shift, works the PP and is a penalty killer all while amassing 90 points. Can't say that about Thornton or Jagr. Richards is worth money that he got. The problem is that Tampa Bay overpaid for both Vinny and MSL.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote