HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Notices

Chelios to return for 23rd season

Old
05-23-2006, 07:11 PM
Greek_physique
Caron..Jordan Caron!

vCash: 50
This greek will never retire

Greek_physique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2006, 08:55 PM
norrisnick

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarcastro
And I'm sure I'll really flip out when I see how much he signed Chelios for, because I expect it to be way too much.
So what were you expecting?

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercu...s/14650385.htm

The earlybird version of the Freep report would indicate Chelibot is due $800K this coming season. *gasp* a paycut!

norrisnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2006, 11:50 PM
pavel13

Send a message via AIM to pavel13
Quote:
Preaching to the choir in this case, my friend. I suggested right from the start when they got eliminated that the best course of action would be to retool the roster and get younger, tougher, and faster. Holland believes that you turn the roster over by bringing in one young player a year at maximum, no matter how ill-equipped your team is for the modern playoffs. I honestly don't know why he thinks that everything will be ok with the same old soft players that got the hell beat out of them against Edmonton, but that's what we have to look forward to. Unless Kenny grows a pair, tells Lidstrom to take a big pay cut or walk, and actually go out and improve the roster.
Yes, the soon to be Norris Trophy winner needs to take a big paycut.

Lidstrom is NOT what is wrong with this team. He has been one of the few consistently good things on this team over the last fifteen years.

pavel13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2006, 11:52 PM
pavel13

Send a message via AIM to pavel13
Quote:
The Cross trade was cosmetic. Holland had to do something at the deadline, so he threw away a draft pick to make it look like he'd added to the team. He does this every year, so no surprise.
I think he thought he was going to land one of the higher profile defensemen available (Witt?), and after he traded Rivers to make room for Witt, he had to fill that hole quickly, and he did what he could.

pavel13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2006, 12:02 AM
Heaton
#disapointment

Send a message via AIM to Heaton
Quote:
Unless Kenny grows a pair, tells Lidstrom to take a big pay cut or walk, and actually go out and improve the roster.
Cutting Lidstrom improves the roster? I don't think the league would allow Lidstrom to sign for anything less than he's playing for now. It would **** up the ecomony more than an overpayment would.

Seriously think about what you're saying, there is no defensemen you can bring in who is on the market who is worth it to get rid of Lidstrom. You're really overreacting.

Heaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2006, 12:16 AM
Russian_fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greek_physique69
This greek will never retire
With the way he is playing why should he? Damn this guy is ALWAYS in great physical condition, and I hate him. More power to Chelios. IMO he's a top 4 dman on alot of teams stills.

Russian_fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2006, 12:45 AM
kira

Send a message via ICQ to kira Send a message via Yahoo to kira
Quote:
This Greek will never retire!
You should count your blessings if you're anywhere near the shape he's in when you turn 44, pal.

I still want to know why SGY19 has this warped idea in his head that they're trying to drive Stevie out. Whatever the hell it is you're smoking, buddy, it certainly ain't legal.

kira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2006, 01:17 AM
TOPGUN
I Am Terrible!

I don't know about Chelios. If he is coming back we can call him Mr. Hockey Jr.

I am ok if he going to play 3rd pairing line. I would like to see that Detroit go's after Kubina, McKee (although 29 other teams would like to have him), Mitchell.

IF Fisher is coming back we can't expect him to be same player as prior to the incident. Top 4 Defenseman is something we need desperate

TOPGUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2006, 01:58 AM
shveik

I do not understand this "lets get rid of vets whose last name doesn't start with Y". If you look down the roster, the veterans actually performed quite alright. Players who played the worst: Samuelsson, Williams, Lebda. Those guys I would really get rid of. But Maltby, Draper, Holmstrom were great. The problem with Maltby and Draper is that they are overpaid by todays standards. But if the vets perform in their role and do not screw with salary cap, I do not see the need to replace them with a new player. Sometimes it works (Franzen, Cleary) sometimes it doesn't (Williams, Samuelsson, Lebda). So if the Wings can resign their vets cheaply we should be jumping up and down!

shveik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2006, 04:42 AM
Zorin

Send a message via ICQ to Zorin
I don't understand what the problem is.

a) I don't see ANY relation between Cheli and/or Shanny coming back and Stevie coming back!

b) It is a question of price. If one might be able to dump one or two of Lang, Drapes and Maltby just to free up a slot on the team that would give many options. Now... Imagine the following:
Cheli accepts a contract of clearly below one mil. Just like he did this year. He is a guy that has proven last year that he still aboslutely capable to take top-4 minutes and PLAY WELL! That all for... say .8 mil?! hey, that would be a bargain despite all the age stuff. Same for Shanny... Yes, he is not 20 any more. but he is a freakin' 40 goal scorer!!!! Now imagine having a guy score in that region again for... say... 1 or 1.2 mil. That would be a bargain as well! Lids is coming off a Norris-season. If one would be able to get him to a 7 mil. deal that would be great!

Now get rid of Lang somehow (even for few... say a 2nd rounder or something like that) and use this spot for Hudler. Then go after one big UFA for the d. One big, tough and mobile guy. Scoring is not a need. And possibly let Williams walk (not that I would mind him coming back but a big winger la Smith would be what the doctor ordered for his spot and we would be fine.

A 40 goal scorer and a possible Top 4 Defenseman at about a mil. are bargains. Whatever way you see it. And if they got to the ice in a wheelchair I would not complain if they keep up the play of last year. Yes, the playoff performance was not good. But that had many reasons: Running into a hot goalie once again (they outshot the oilers by a rediculous margin!!), some guys like Sammy, Cheli and Stevie being hurt and some bad breaks. I don't think it was a question of age or so. and Speed... yeah... The oilers have speed. But so have the ducks and the Sharks. The wings always are so lucky as to run into the cindarella team. Look for the oilers to push hard for the cup. Other teams then the wings had to feel this....

Zorin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2006, 05:12 AM
SGY19

Quote:
Originally Posted by shveik
I do not understand this "lets get rid of vets whose last name doesn't start with Y". If you look down the roster, the veterans actually performed quite alright. Players who played the worst: Samuelsson, Williams, Lebda. Those guys I would really get rid of. But Maltby, Draper, Holmstrom were great. The problem with Maltby and Draper is that they are overpaid by todays standards. But if the vets perform in their role and do not screw with salary cap, I do not see the need to replace them with a new player. Sometimes it works (Franzen, Cleary) sometimes it doesn't (Williams, Samuelsson, Lebda). So if the Wings can resign their vets cheaply we should be jumping up and down!
What I don't understand is why Red Wing fans want to keep all the veterans except Yzerman? I really don't understand why they want to get rid of the best veteran on the team.

SGY19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2006, 05:20 AM
Zorin

Send a message via ICQ to Zorin
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGY19
What I don't understand is why Red Wing fans want to keep all the veterans except Yzerman? I really don't understand why they want to get rid of the best veteran on the team.
WHO ON THIS THREAD SAID SO?????? I have not read a SINGLE comment of soeone wanting to get rid of Yzerman! On the contrary everybody appreciates that he will be signed if he wands to come back.

Really, take less of the pills and try to smoke legal stuff instead of the one you smoke right now. It is rediculous what you are stating throughout this whole thread!!!!

Zorin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2006, 06:10 AM
SGY19

Quote:
Originally Posted by kira
You should count your blessings if you're anywhere near the shape he's in when you turn 44, pal.

I still want to know why SGY19 has this warped idea in his head that they're trying to drive Stevie out. Whatever the hell it is you're smoking, buddy, it certainly ain't legal.
It's very obvious from the way Yzerman is being treated by the organization. Did you see today's Free Press article? Not once does Holland say that the Red Wings want Yzerman back. He says they want Shanny back, but not Yzerman. That just seems very strange to me that Holland would not throw that in there if Yzerman is really trying to make a decision.

Anyways I noticed a problem between Yzerman and the Red Wings before training camp even started. If you'd like I can go through everything, just say the word and I will.

I guess I thought because Yzerman has been with the team his entire career and he's done so much for the organization that he deserves to be treated with more respect and differently than other veterans like Hull, Robitiaille, Larionov, Hasek, Chelios, etc. Apparently the Red Wings don't feel that way because they treat him worse than all those other veterans. I really think they underestimate everything he's done for the organization over the years. They seem to treat Lidstrom and Chelios like they're the ones responsible for all of the Red Wings success and that Yzerman was just someone along for the ride. Maybe I'm just overrating what Yzerman has done for the organization and maybe he really hasn't done much. Honestly if I were an outsider and I didn't know anything about the Red Wings, I would think Chelios is the one that spent his entire career with the Red Wings and Yzerman is just some veteran that they traded for.

Old
05-24-2006, 06:23 AM
GuloGulo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorin
WHO ON THIS THREAD SAID SO?????? I have not read a SINGLE comment of soeone wanting to get rid of Yzerman! On the contrary everybody appreciates that he will be signed if he wands to come back.

Really, take less of the pills and try to smoke legal stuff instead of the one you smoke right now. It is rediculous what you are stating throughout this whole thread!!!!
Everyone else has him on ignore

GuloGulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2006, 06:33 AM
SGY19

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuloGulo
So in other words I'm wasting my time posting here because nobody is reading my posts. Alright I can take a hint.

I'm done with the Red Wings anyways. If they can just force the greatest Red Wing of all-time out then I will no longer be watching this disgrace of an organization. First it was Gordie Howe, and not it's Yzerman. I hope Lidstrom, Datsyuk, Zetterberg, and Kronwall have paid attention to this and don't waste their time in Detroit just so they can be forced out too.

Old
05-24-2006, 06:42 AM
sarcastro

vCash: 663
Quote:
Originally Posted by pavel13
Yes, the soon to be Norris Trophy winner needs to take a big paycut.

Lidstrom is NOT what is wrong with this team. He has been one of the few consistently good things on this team over the last fifteen years.
Lidstrom's salary is one of the things that is wrong with this team. Look at the playoffs - he was 20% of the team's entire payroll, and he didn't do anything to justify it whatsoever. And the reality is he's not going to get any better.

Please explain to me how they're going to improve the team by bringing everyone back a year older and not mixing in anything new. They need to either sign Lidstrom for less money so they can still add another quality player or two, or they need to add three or four quality players and let Lidstrom go. And if they went out and got players in their primes, then they would solidify the team for the next 5 years and beyond. Instead, they'll throw money at Lidstrom again, they won't be able to afford any other upgrades, Nick will continue to slow down, and next year we'll be right back here debating what they should do to avoid another first round exit to a young, fast, strong team.

Doesn't anybody get it? The four teams left in the playoffs are young, fast, strong teams. The last 3 teams to knock out the Wings have been young, fast, strong teams. Who won the cup in 04? Tampa Bay - a young, fast, strong team. Maybe the Wings need to get younger, faster, and stronger in order to stay on top. Crazy idea, I know.

sarcastro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2006, 07:39 AM
8snake

Quote:
Lidstrom's salary is one of the things that is wrong with this team. Look at the playoffs - he was 20% of the team's entire payroll, and he didn't do anything to justify it whatsoever. And the reality is he's not going to get any better.

Please explain to me how they're going to improve the team by bringing everyone back a year older and not mixing in anything new. They need to either sign Lidstrom for less money so they can still add another quality player or two, or they need to add three or four quality players and let Lidstrom go. And if they went out and got players in their primes, then they would solidify the team for the next 5 years and beyond. Instead, they'll throw money at Lidstrom again, they won't be able to afford any other upgrades, Nick will continue to slow down, and next year we'll be right back here debating what they should do to avoid another first round exit to a young, fast, strong team.

Doesn't anybody get it? The four teams left in the playoffs are young, fast, strong teams. The last 3 teams to knock out the Wings have been young, fast, strong teams. Who won the cup in 04? Tampa Bay - a young, fast, strong team. Maybe the Wings need to get younger, faster, and stronger in order to stay on top. Crazy idea, I know.
Listen to several opinions on our board...."I dont mind if Shannahan re-signs for another year, we need his leadership" or "Chelios can be still contribute on the PK" or "I'd love for Yzerman to come back for another year". There are fans who cant let go as well. Look how old this roster is. Detroit has 6 players in or approaching their primes....Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Samuelsson, Lebda, Kronwall and Franzen. Everyone else is old. From Homer to Draper to Schneider, this team is small and old. Frankly, this may have been Lidstrom's last season as the best D-man in the league. So couple those two factors together with a big question in goal, and you see why this team as presently constructed has more holes in it than some realize. I know I'm starting to sound like TinCan, but what is there to be happy about re-signing Chelios? Why should I feel good about Shannahan possibly coming back? When does this roster get younger? Since Chelios does so well on the PK, let's bring back Larionov to play on the PP. So far Holland has lost a big time supporter, because I'm disgusted with the mentality he's taken as we move into the summer.

8snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2006, 09:56 AM
sarcastro

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8snake
Listen to several opinions on our board...."I dont mind if Shannahan re-signs for another year, we need his leadership" or "Chelios can be still contribute on the PK" or "I'd love for Yzerman to come back for another year". There are fans who cant let go as well. Look how old this roster is. Detroit has 6 players in or approaching their primes....Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Samuelsson, Lebda, Kronwall and Franzen. Everyone else is old. From Homer to Draper to Schneider, this team is small and old. Frankly, this may have been Lidstrom's last season as the best D-man in the league. So couple those two factors together with a big question in goal, and you see why this team as presently constructed has more holes in it than some realize. I know I'm starting to sound like TinCan, but what is there to be happy about re-signing Chelios? Why should I feel good about Shannahan possibly coming back? When does this roster get younger? Since Chelios does so well on the PK, let's bring back Larionov to play on the PP. So far Holland has lost a big time supporter, because I'm disgusted with the mentality he's taken as we move into the summer.
Ok, I feel better, I'm not the only one who sees it. An old, slow, very talented team can make hay in the regular season, but it will get bumped by a young, fast, hungry team in the playoffs every time. Nobody else seems to notice this. They forget that in 97, the team was 10 years younger and all those players - Yzerman, Fedorov, Lidstrom, Homer, Shanny, Draper, Maltby, etc - were all in their primes. They're not anymore - and it's showing on the ice. It's time to do some serious remodeling and bring in some new blood. They don't have to completely blow it up, but they need more than 4 or 5 new faces, and they need those faces to be impact players, and not just turn over the 3rd line and the 6th and 7th defensemen and expect to make the team measurably better.

Old
05-24-2006, 09:58 AM
sarcastro

Though I do disagree about Yzerman. He showed down the stretch and in the playoffs that he can be very productive. Shanahan and Chelios both did poorly in the playoffs, and Shanahan will cost some $$ to bring back. Stevie is the one guy they SHOULD bring back if he wants, because he won't cost a lot and if he's healthy he can still put up close to a point a game.

Old
05-24-2006, 09:59 AM
Higgy4

Quote:
Ok, I feel better, I'm not the only one who sees it. An old, slow, very talented team can make hay in the regular season, but it will get bumped by a young, fast, hungry team in the playoffs every time. Nobody else seems to notice this. They forget that in 97, the team was 10 years younger and all those players - Yzerman, Fedorov, Lidstrom, Homer, Shanny, Draper, Maltby, etc - were all in their primes. They're not anymore - and it's showing on the ice. It's time to do some serious remodeling and bring in some new blood. They don't have to completely blow it up, but they need more than 4 or 5 new faces, and they need those faces to be impact players, and not just turn over the 3rd line and the 6th and 7th defensemen and expect to make the team measurably better.

I agree. Even at 800,000 I am not all that thrilled with the Chelios idea.

I would like to see some youth served here....someday.

Higgy4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2006, 10:26 AM
Greek_physique
Caron..Jordan Caron!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Oh Im not knocking Chelios at all, i just found it funny that's all. The guy trains with G.Murray, Blake and others in the off-season in LA. He's in great shape....he was one of the better defensemen in the Oilers series.

I just want him on the Greek Bobsled team

Last edited by Greek_physique: 05-24-2006 at 10:46 AM.
Greek_physique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2006, 10:58 AM
Motown Beatdown
Need a slump buster

vCash: 450
Quote:

It's called trolling. He/She used to do it at other boards. The ignore feature is a wonderful thing.

Motown Beatdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2006, 11:08 AM
sarcastro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Higgy4
I agree. Even at 800,000 I am not all that thrilled with the Chelios idea.

I would like to see some youth served here....someday.
The big problem is, all the old folks are going to leave at the same time - and none of the kids will be ready because they won't have had a chance to cut their teeth on the third line, or the third defense pair, or whatever. And they won't be able to just go out and buy another core like before, because the cap won't allow it.

The way I would prefer is if they got some of the kids up from the start next season and eased them in so that by the end of the year heading into the playoffs and next season, they were ready to play significant minutes as needed. Guys like Filppula, Hudler, Kopecky, Quincey, and even Bootland should be given every chance to make the team out of camp so that they can start out playing 10-12 minutes a night for a full NHL season. If that means a few more losses in the regular season, then I don't care. The problem is, a lot of Wings fans would care and Holland would get a lot of heat about it, so he does what's popular and brings back all the old familiar faces from the Cup runs. And the team just gets older and slower.

Old
05-24-2006, 01:31 PM
CCCP

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=166777&hubname=nhl

What a joke!!!!!!!! Hey, Ken, why don't u take a hint from this year's playoffs performance?!?!?! STOP SIGNING THOSE OLD GEEZERS!!!!!!!!!!!!

CCCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2006, 05:33 PM
jacK

Quote:

are mods allowed to put people on the 'ignore' list? the only reason i can see that you justify responding to that guy is that you can't...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuloGulo
yup.

jacK is offline   Reply With Quote