HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Comrie + ATL...think we can we get Hurme?

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-04-2003, 09:24 PM
  #1
mrhockey123
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: CPC War Room
Country: Israel
Posts: 3,238
vCash: 500
Comrie + ATL...think we can we get Hurme?

I know im the anti-comrie thread guy, but really some of the threads get so long nobody reads them anymore.

I think Conks is a decent goalie, im not confident in him though. I mean, he did play a game and do well, but I would like a goalie like -hmm lets say markanen - who you can stick in nets and not worry about getting killed.

So do you guys (and gals) think we could possibly widen the rumoured Comrie to ATL deal (Stefan, cobrun for comrie) to get Hurme?

We would be adding salary I think (hurme makes 1.X) but I think maybe it would be well worth the investment. ATL gave up a 3rd for him so I cant see them asking for the moon. And if they do, KLO sticks his tongue out and asks how Savard's doing...i wond take a cheap shot at Heater because that would be insensitive

mrhockey123 is offline  
Old
11-04-2003, 09:36 PM
  #2
Walsher
Registered User
 
Walsher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 5,339
vCash: 500
Why on earth would we want a backup goaltender. We have one. In fact we have a couple. Valiquette is promising and Deslauriers is on the way real soon. Salo is far better than any backup we could acquire. These suggestions baffle me. Trade a budding superstar for a backup goaltender. It just doesn't add up. Hurme is average at best. Not a likely scenario at least I hope not.

Walsher is offline  
Old
11-04-2003, 09:43 PM
  #3
oildrop
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 1,486
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walsher
Why on earth would we want a backup goaltender. We have one. In fact we have a couple. Valiquette is promising and Deslauriers is on the way real soon. Salo is far better than any backup we could acquire. These suggestions baffle me. Trade a budding superstar for a backup goaltender. It just doesn't add up. Hurme is average at best. Not a likely scenario at least I hope not.
I don't think we need Hurme either. Conklin is a good goalie and he is fine as our backup and could maybe be a no.1 here soon. Hurme isn't any better then Conklin, in my mind. Big Valley is good too so we don't need any more mid to late 20 year old goalies here.

oildrop is offline  
Old
11-04-2003, 10:10 PM
  #4
mrhockey123
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: CPC War Room
Country: Israel
Posts: 3,238
vCash: 500
Walsher I wasnt saying comrie for hurme straight up, I was saying maybe we could make the trade a little bit bigger is all.

Conks might be great someday but I dunno about him. I mean, are you seriously confident enough to give him 20 games this year? I cant say Im that confident.

The fact that we have a logjam at goal is indeed a dilema, but for the most part (and from my limitted knowledge of goaltenders in our system) we have more quantity than quality.

mrhockey123 is offline  
Old
11-04-2003, 10:12 PM
  #5
dem
Registered User
 
dem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,491
vCash: 500
We coulda had Hurme on waivers...

dem is offline  
Old
11-05-2003, 04:59 AM
  #6
Jokerit79
Guest
 
Country:
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walsher
Why on earth would we want a backup goaltender. We have one. In fact we have a couple. Valiquette is promising and Deslauriers is on the way real soon. Salo is far better than any backup we could acquire. These suggestions baffle me. Trade a budding superstar for a backup goaltender. It just doesn't add up. Hurme is average at best. Not a likely scenario at least I hope not.
Comrie a budding superstar?? Give me a break! He's a good young player, but probably one of the most overrated guys in the league. And all this whining and pouting isn't getting him any points either. The guy sucks in the playoffs and starts to pout when he's critizied and..... then complains he sould get a raise.

 
Old
11-05-2003, 05:12 AM
  #7
dawgbone
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,104
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jokerit79
Comrie a budding superstar?? Give me a break! He's a good young player, but probably one of the most overrated guys in the league. And all this whining and pouting isn't getting him any points either. The guy sucks in the playoffs and starts to pout when he's critizied and..... then complains he sould get a raise.
Overrated? The guy scored 30 goals despite have no linemates for half the season in his first full year. Of all the players who have joined the league in the last 3 years, he is only behind Heatley, Kovalchuk and Gaborik in scoring the past 2 seasons... I don't know where you get over-rated from.

You obviously have no idea what you are talking about, because Comrie has played a grand total of 2 playoff series, his first one he had like 40 games of NHL experience and played excellent, and his second one he was injured

dawgbone is offline  
Old
11-05-2003, 05:13 AM
  #8
dawgbone
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,104
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Originally Posted by dem
We coulda had Hurme on waivers...
No we couldn't have... Atlanta picked up Hurme well before the Oilers could have.

dawgbone is offline  
Old
11-05-2003, 07:43 AM
  #9
Seachd
Registered User
 
Seachd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: The Fail
Posts: 13,238
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone
No we couldn't have... Atlanta picked up Hurme well before the Oilers could have.
Well, Atlanta wanted to, but Carolina got to him first.

But once Florida picks up an Oiler (Valiquette), Edmonton apparently has first choice of any unprotected player on the Panthers, including whoever was unprotected to make room for Valiquette. And even though Florida didn't have to leave Hurme unprotected, they did. I think it was in the Sun that while Lowe could have had Hurme for nothing, he didn't think it was necessary.

So I've been under the impression that Lowe passed Hurme up in the draft.

Seachd is offline  
Old
11-05-2003, 07:50 AM
  #10
dawgbone
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,104
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seachd
Well, Atlanta wanted to, but Carolina got to him first.

But once Florida picks up an Oiler (Valiquette), Edmonton apparently has first choice of any unprotected player on the Panthers, including whoever was unprotected to make room for Valiquette. And even though Florida didn't have to leave Hurme unprotected, they did. I think it was in the Sun that while Lowe could have had Hurme for nothing, he didn't think it was necessary.

So I've been under the impression that Lowe passed Hurme up in the draft.
Not quite...

The draft order takes precedence... What the Oilers get is the first option to re-claim Valiquette if Florida had decided to try and send him down to the minors (which is what happened).

dawgbone is offline  
Old
11-05-2003, 08:35 AM
  #11
Seachd
Registered User
 
Seachd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: The Fail
Posts: 13,238
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone
Not quite...

The draft order takes precedence... What the Oilers get is the first option to re-claim Valiquette if Florida had decided to try and send him down to the minors (which is what happened).
I don't know... The CBA (in the Waiver Draft section) says:

The Club from which the draft claim was made shall have
the option, exercisable immediately, of accepting the cash
payment as outlined in subsection 13.14, or requesting that the
player or goalkeeper removed by the claiming Club be transferred
immediately to its Reserve List and, if it so desires, to its
Protected List.


Since the Panthers unprotected Hurme, this leads me to believe that the Oilers could have had them if they wanted him. I just don't think they wanted him.

Seachd is offline  
Old
11-05-2003, 08:38 AM
  #12
dawgbone
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,104
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seachd
I don't know... The CBA (in the Waiver Draft section) says:

The Club from which the draft claim was made shall have
the option, exercisable immediately, of accepting the cash
payment as outlined in subsection 13.14, or requesting that the
player or goalkeeper removed by the claiming Club be transferred
immediately to its Reserve List and, if it so desires, to its
Protected List.


Since the Panthers unprotected Hurme, this leads me to believe that the Oilers could have had them if they wanted him. I just don't think they wanted him.
Yeah, but wasn't Hurme originally left off the unprotected list? I was pretty sure he got picked up before Valiquette did.

dawgbone is offline  
Old
11-05-2003, 10:43 AM
  #13
Walsher
Registered User
 
Walsher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 5,339
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhockey123
Walsher I wasnt saying comrie for hurme straight up, I was saying maybe we could make the trade a little bit bigger is all.

Conks might be great someday but I dunno about him. I mean, are you seriously confident enough to give him 20 games this year? I cant say Im that confident.

The fact that we have a logjam at goal is indeed a dilema, but for the most part (and from my limitted knowledge of goaltenders in our system) we have more quantity than quality.
The fact is I don't want Conklin to get 20 games - I want Salo to play as much as possible. He is better than Hurme and Conklin put together. Why waste a trade to get Hurme and another player. Why not get a prospect rather than a 4th backup goalie. it doesn't make sense at all.

Walsher is offline  
Old
11-05-2003, 10:45 AM
  #14
Walsher
Registered User
 
Walsher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 5,339
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jokerit79
Comrie a budding superstar?? Give me a break! He's a good young player, but probably one of the most overrated guys in the league. And all this whining and pouting isn't getting him any points either. The guy sucks in the playoffs and starts to pout when he's critizied and..... then complains he sould get a raise.
THe numbers speak for themself my friend. You may not like Comrie as a person or a player but the bottom line is he has scored more points in his first 2.5 years than most other "budding superstars". He is good and just because you call him a whiner doesn't change that fact. Heck you are probably the same guy who booed Poti.

Walsher is offline  
Old
11-05-2003, 10:48 AM
  #15
barto
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 2,465
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walsher
THe numbers speak for themself my friend. You may not like Comrie as a person or a player but the bottom line is he has scored more points in his first 2.5 years than most other "budding superstars". He is good and just because you call him a whiner doesn't change that fact. Heck you are probably the same guy who booed Poti.
HEY now.... don't lump ALL of us Poti-booers in with the 'undervalue-Comrie' types!

Bart

barto is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:14 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.