HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Steve Webb

Closed Thread

Old
11-04-2003, 04:16 PM
Mack

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Mack
Steve Webb

He was picked up on waiers by Hpilly and then they wanted him in the AHL so they had to put him back on waivers and then the Pens picked him up....this is a stupid rule imo once you pick him up on waivers HE SHOULD BE YOURS!! what is the point of him having to go back on waivers?

Old
11-04-2003, 04:23 PM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack
He was picked up on waiers by Hpilly and then they wanted him in the AHL so they had to put him back on waivers and then the Pens picked him up....this is a stupid rule imo once you pick him up on waivers HE SHOULD BE YOURS!! what is the point of him having to go back on waivers?
so teams don't pick off players from other teams for free, only to stock them on their own farm clubs.

if he could be sent to the minors without waivers by the Flyers, then why did the Isles have to put him on waivers to send him down??

the rules makes a lot of sense to me.... if a player isn't good enough to play for your pro team, but is above developmental age, he should be able to be picked up by another team that can use him on their pro team - but if they are just going to pick him up to send him to the minors, then why should the original team have to lose its asset??

Old
11-04-2003, 04:25 PM
Seabass
Onward and Upward

Send a message via AIM to Seabass
Philly didn't pick him off waivers. They signed him with intent to send him to the Phantoms, but the Pens picked him up.

Old
11-04-2003, 04:27 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
HFBoards: Night's Watch

Seabass is correct, he signed with Philly, he wasn't with the Islanders organization this season.

Philly tried to send him to...uhhh...Philly but the Penguins claimed him.

Old
11-04-2003, 04:32 PM
Mack

Send a message via MSN to Mack
ok yea thats what i ment. he wasnt with the islanders since last season becuase of a contract dispute, he SIGNS with the Fylers and they want to send him to the AHL and he get lost again in waivers....i think it is still stupid.

Old
11-04-2003, 04:34 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator

Not at all. It should be no different than if he was to be acquired by trade.

Old
11-04-2003, 04:39 PM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

same situation though if he was picked up from the Isles, or signed...

as an overage player he needs to clear waivers... no different than any other player in the league... now if Pittsburg decides to send him to the minors, I believe that Philly has the first crack to claim him on waivers - and at this point they can send him down without having to clear waviers again (happened with Baumer who was sent to Manitoba through Vancouver who re-claimed him).

the whole logic though of not being able to just populate your farm team with nhlers is still there... whether he's claimed off waivers, or signed as a FA, he still needs to pass through waviers to be sent down, because of his status in the league (age/games played).

Old
11-04-2003, 06:38 PM
Courage*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack
I'm sure he'd do anything to keep from getting his ass handed to him by Owen Nolan again....

Steve Webb does a fine impression of a turtle, mind you...

Old
11-05-2003, 07:39 AM
Steve Latin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantompenguin
Seabass is correct, he signed with Philly, he wasn't with the Islanders organization this season.

Philly tried to send him to...uhhh...Philly but the Penguins claimed him.
No, you're all wrong.

If an overage player is signed after a certain date in the season, he *must* clear waivers, even if you want to put him on your NHL roster and not your AHL affiliate. There's an article I can dig up somewhere about Clarke complaining about this rule.

S L

Old
11-05-2003, 08:07 AM
Volcanologist
Spark up a Dubas

Owen Nolan pummeled him last night. Great stuff.

Old
11-05-2003, 08:36 AM
The Tang
I like gooooollllddd

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepNCheese
Owen Nolan pummeled him last night. Great stuff.
Webb's a hitter an agitator, he outright admits that. he knows he'll get his butt kicked.

anyways, think of it this way:
tehre is teh waiver draft at the beginning of october where a team can only protect so many people. now, byt signing someone after the waiver draft, if they were not put on waivers, why would anyone sign people before the waiver draft? hell, work out an agreement with a valuable FA, that way you can not expose soemone on your team, then sign him. so, by having tp put someone on waivers, its like you were exposing them in the waiver draft. though i do kinda agree with clake that someone from the other team should be exposed if he is taken.

Old
11-05-2003, 08:41 AM
ACC1224
Steelers 10-5

I liked Nolans quote in the paper this morning.

"He plays a physical game which is fine, but he doesn't even look for the puck," the Maple Leafs winger said after last night's 4-2 win over the Pittsburgh Penguins at the ACC. "He just runs around trying to hurt guys, and that's unacceptable. It had to stop."

Not a lot of respect for Webb.

Old
11-05-2003, 08:53 AM
Don'tcry4mejanhrdina

And Tucker and Marchment aren't dirty? Figures he doesn't ever say "Our guys play dirty and it needs to stop."

Old
11-05-2003, 09:04 AM
ACC1224
Steelers 10-5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mario66
And Tucker and Marchment aren't dirty? Figures he doesn't ever say "Our guys play dirty and it needs to stop."
I think what he was saying is that Webb doesn't try to play he only tries to run around and hit guys....as dirty as Marchment and Tucker are they still play the game....and when someone calls them on it they accept the challenge.

Old
11-05-2003, 09:09 AM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator

Tucker is 9000000000000000000000000 times the cheapshot artist that Webb is.

And I'm not even going to touch Marchment :p

Old
11-05-2003, 09:16 AM
ACC1224
Steelers 10-5

Quote:

agreed, and???

Old
11-05-2003, 09:25 AM
Kenadyan

Quote:
How so? And don't bring up the incident with Peca in the playoffs two years ago (people really need to let that go )!!!

If you actually watch the Leafs games, you'd see that Tucker's role for Toronto is no different than, say, Darren McCarty's role in Detroit. I wouldn't call McCarty a cheapshot artist.

Does Tucker complain way too much about penalties called against him? Yes. Is he a cheapshot artist? No.

If one incident is enough to make someone a "cheapshot artist", than 75-80% of ALL the NHL players are cheapshot artists!!

I won't comment on Marchment either, as I can't disagree with you there.

Old
11-05-2003, 09:44 AM
The Tang
I like gooooollllddd

and somehow tie domi isnt being mentioned at all...

Old
11-05-2003, 10:02 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACC1224
I liked Nolans quote in the paper this morning.

"He plays a physical game which is fine, but he doesn't even look for the puck," the Maple Leafs winger said after last night's 4-2 win over the Pittsburgh Penguins at the ACC. "He just runs around trying to hurt guys, and that's unacceptable. It had to stop."

Not a lot of respect for Webb.
Webb Career:

314 games, 5 goals, 18 points.

Tucker Career:

558 games, 110 goals, 271 points.

Peca Career:

557 games, 141 goals, 336 points.

One of these guys doesn't look like a player.

Heck Wade Belak in 252 games has 6 goals, 20 points.

Webb got what he deserves based on his style of play, and we'll see how much it costs Nolan as far as suspension does as to whether the leagues opens season on him or not.

Vaive and Ludzik on collapse, and Phaneuf.
Old
11-05-2003, 10:26 AM
paxtang

Everyone knows how Webb plays, he is a checker and agitator only. Whether or not people feel he deserves to be in the league is pointless, he is in it. Players may not like him, hell i would have loved him on the flyers but I didn't get my wish. If the players don't like how he plays, then I think they should do what Nolan did, drop your gloves and take him down. It's how its been done in the league for years. Webb will take his beatings, and drop the gloves a few times a year, he may be a punk but he can be of value to a team.

Old
11-05-2003, 10:34 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by paxtang
Everyone knows how Webb plays, he is a checker and agitator only. Whether or not people feel he deserves to be in the league is pointless, he is in it. Players may not like him, hell i would have loved him on the flyers but I didn't get my wish. If the players don't like how he plays, then I think they should do what Nolan did, drop your gloves and take him down. It's how its been done in the league for years. Webb will take his beatings, and drop the gloves a few times a year, he may be a punk but he can be of value to a team.
Shows you how limited talent is when players like Webb, no talent whatsoever, keeps an NHL job.

Old
11-05-2003, 10:40 AM
shakes
Ancient Astronaut

Quote:

I was going to comment about how silly this Tucker comment was but others beat me to it. Marchment, on the other hand, is.

Quote:
and somehow tie domi isnt being mentioned at all...
Why would anyone? He's not a cheapshot artist

Old
11-05-2003, 10:51 AM
The Tang
I like gooooollllddd

otehr w/ no talent that shouldnt be (or have been) in the league if Webb shouldnt:

Domi
Simpson
Probert
McSorely
Oliwa
McCarthy (Sandy)

guess what, theyre called goons! theyre meant to keep youre good players from getting their heads taken off! not to mention, if youre going by points, then a lot of 3rd and 4th line role players shouldnt be in this league either. congrats, now, according to that logic, about 1/2 the nhl shouldnt be in the league.

Old
11-05-2003, 11:01 AM
shakes
Ancient Astronaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider Zero
otehr w/ no talent that shouldnt be (or have been) in the league if Webb shouldnt:

Domi
Simpson
Probert
McSorely
Oliwa
McCarthy (Sandy)

guess what, theyre called goons! theyre meant to keep youre good players from getting their heads taken off! not to mention, if youre going by points, then a lot of 3rd and 4th line role players shouldnt be in this league either. congrats, now, according to that logic, about 1/2 the nhl shouldnt be in the league.

Those players are goons (with Domi not so much anymore), Webb is a useless waste of space who doesnt contribute anything except injuries and cheap shots

Old
11-05-2003, 11:15 AM
Dr. Octagon

Why would anyone? He's not a cheapshot artist[/QUOTE]

Ask Ulf and Scott Niedermeyer about that

Closed Thread