HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

I am still watching the playoffs, and it's time we look at reality

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-24-2006, 08:26 PM
  #1
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Do not trade plz
Country: United States
Posts: 114,516
vCash: 505
I am still watching the playoffs, and it's time we look at reality

Even if we would have beaten Buffalo, looking at the other 3 teams (Carolina's performance not withstanding), I went from being pretty disgusted, to disgusted and grateful that we at least won 2 games. Carolina and even Ottawa would have smoked us. Looking at all the skill, team speed, special teams, in some cases luck, in some cases other intangibles. We would have been kidding ourselves if we thought we would have won the Cup.


I hope Clarke is watching, simply changing around the defense isn't going to be the solution. There are quite a few parts this team needs if we want to even compete in the playoffs. And as we can see we don't really need to expend all of our energy trying to win the division.


If Clarke is a good GM, he will only need a few months to mold this team into one of the new NHL, and not a few years. All 4 teams left didn't make the playoffs in 2004. One of Buffalo or Carolina is going to get back to the finals for a 2nd time before we can get back once, and both teams rebuilt their teams twice and missed the playoffs quite a few times doing it. Meanwhile, we make the playoffs every season and the team is either too slow, or they quit.

__________________
Philadelphia's Real Alternative
(ynotradio.net)

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2006, 08:41 PM
  #2
easton122
Registered User
 
easton122's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,951
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to easton122 Send a message via MSN to easton122
Buffalo, Carolina and Ottawa all spent years in the basement of the league before building their core. All of them have a number of good young players that they drafted and a few they traded for. I think we are already heading in the direction that these teams are in right now. We are going to be in the same boat next year as this year even if Clarke gets rid of both Hatcher, Rathje and a few other fowards.

What we need (and what these teams have is a solid core).

Buffalo has Briere, Drury, McKee, and Afinogenov (plus some older rookies).

Carolina has Staal, Brind'Amour, Williams, Hedican and Ward (plus Cole and some vets).

Ottawa has Alfredsson, Heatley, Spezza, Redden, Chara, Phillips and Fisher.

We have to wait for our time but it's not far off.

One day soon we'll have Carter, Richards, Gagne, Umberger and Pitkanen. Currently the core players of the team can't get it done. Forsberg, Handzus, Kapanen and Desjardins (plus Primeau/Johnsson being out).

We're heading in the same direction without having to spend a few years in the cellar. That is something to be proud of IMO.

easton122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2006, 08:44 PM
  #3
BringBackStevens
Registered User
 
BringBackStevens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 12,703
vCash: 500
if it really is as simple as fixing in a few months (even though you contradict yourself in the paragraph before, suggesting its a fairly complex problem) then what do you suggest clarke does?

i really don't think we are as bad off as you make it sound. there are plenty of reasons to be optimistic about our core of solid young players.

i guess your post sorta confuses me. what exactly are you trying to say?

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2006, 09:23 PM
  #4
John Flyers Fan
Registered User
 
John Flyers Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 22,394
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514
Even if we would have beaten Buffalo, looking at the other 3 teams (Carolina's performance not withstanding), I went from being pretty disgusted, to disgusted and grateful that we at least won 2 games. Carolina and even Ottawa would have smoked us. Looking at all the skill, team speed, special teams, in some cases luck, in some cases other intangibles. We would have been kidding ourselves if we thought we would have won the Cup.
Ottawa would have smoked us my ***. With a crippled team will still beat Buffalo twice. More than the Sens could manage.

Going into a series against Ottawa we already have a riduclous built in edge behind the bench.

We weren't winning the Cup with as banged up as we were, but if healthy we certainly as as good or better chance than anyone else in the league.

John Flyers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2006, 09:35 PM
  #5
donelikedinner
Registered User
 
donelikedinner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: In a house
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,548
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan
Going into a series against Ottawa we already have a riduclous built in edge behind the bench.

We weren't winning the Cup with as banged up as we were, but if healthy we certainly as as good or better chance than anyone else in the league.

donelikedinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2006, 10:10 PM
  #6
BobbyClarkeFan16
Registered User
 
BobbyClarkeFan16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: London Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,181
vCash: 500
The only problem I have with the team is that coaching staff and management can't decide on what type of team they're going to field. Is it going to be a team built on speed or is it going to be a team built on grit and power? Clarke says that this is going to be a skilled team, but he signs guys like Rathje, Hatcher and Stevenson, who play anything but a skilled game. Hitchcock says that he's going to make this team a real high tempo offensive team, but they still continue to play the Hitchcock defensive trap system. Which one is it going to be? If they're going to be play a speed game, start using it. If they're going to play a power and grit game, get everyone on board with it.

This team is probably the most schizophrenic team I've seen in the history of the Flyers. So many injuries, so many different systems being utilized, it's no wonder why everyone was hurt and winded come playoff time. Too many systems to learn, too many injuries to carry over, and everyone seeming to lose interest. It's time that the Flyers chart a course, and stick with it, no matter the result. No more of this flip flopping of systems though. The team needs something constant and change isn't it.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2006, 10:13 PM
  #7
Gert B Frobe
Registered User
 
Gert B Frobe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: SE PA
Country: United States
Posts: 5,605
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by easton122
Buffalo, Carolina and Ottawa all spent years in the basement of the league before building their core. All of them have a number of good young players that they drafted and a few they traded for. I think we are already heading in the direction that these teams are in right now. We are going to be in the same boat next year as this year even if Clarke gets rid of both Hatcher, Rathje and a few other fowards.

What we need (and what these teams have is a solid core).

Buffalo has Briere, Drury, McKee, and Afinogenov (plus some older rookies).

Carolina has Staal, Brind'Amour, Williams, Hedican and Ward (plus Cole and some vets).

Ottawa has Alfredsson, Heatley, Spezza, Redden, Chara, Phillips and Fisher.

We have to wait for our time but it's not far off.

One day soon we'll have Carter, Richards, Gagne, Umberger and Pitkanen. Currently the core players of the team can't get it done. Forsberg, Handzus, Kapanen and Desjardins (plus Primeau/Johnsson being out).

We're heading in the same direction without having to spend a few years in the cellar. That is something to be proud of IMO.
I don't think the wait for our time should be too long. Not sure how Clarke can get rid of Hatcher and Rathje but adding a couple smaller, quicker defensemen shouldn't be all that tough. The league is different now and with guys like Pitkaanen, Meyer, Johnsson, and a couple additions and we should be fine. Throw in a new season that cannot possibly have more injuries and a couple of swift forwards and we should be playing this time next year...

Losing in 6 games to Buffalo doesn't look so bad right about now.

Gert B Frobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2006, 01:32 AM
  #8
mikedifr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 8,359
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16
The only problem I have with the team is that coaching staff and management can't decide on what type of team they're going to field. Is it going to be a team built on speed or is it going to be a team built on grit and power? Clarke says that this is going to be a skilled team, but he signs guys like Rathje, Hatcher and Stevenson, who play anything but a skilled game. Hitchcock says that he's going to make this team a real high tempo offensive team, but they still continue to play the Hitchcock defensive trap system. Which one is it going to be? If they're going to be play a speed game, start using it. If they're going to play a power and grit game, get everyone on board with it.

This team is probably the most schizophrenic team I've seen in the history of the Flyers. So many injuries, so many different systems being utilized, it's no wonder why everyone was hurt and winded come playoff time. Too many systems to learn, too many injuries to carry over, and everyone seeming to lose interest. It's time that the Flyers chart a course, and stick with it, no matter the result. No more of this flip flopping of systems though. The team needs something constant and change isn't it.
I agree with some of your statements, somewhat, however, Um, if you are suggesting that they try and play a high tempo offense with the team they have now then you are clueless. Hitch had this team playing what ever style he could with the players he was given. Whether some of the players buy into it or not is their fault not his. Other then a handful of players on this team, Hitch has something that the players do not and that Mr Clarke does not (as a GM) and that is a Cup. Yes, Hitch, the guy you seem to despise and bash in every thread on here has won a cup. The Stanley Cup!! And he came damn near close to taking this team there last year and was very respectable this year considering all the injuries to the team and the changes in the rules.

Hitch is a very smart coach. If the players are given to him, he will play a high tempo game that is needed in today's NHL, however, the key to that is puck moving dmen or at least dmen that can make a pass out of the zone.

Stop using your bias towards him in every post. There is not a coach in the league that could have done any better with this team.

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2006, 01:40 AM
  #9
BobbyClarkeFan16
Registered User
 
BobbyClarkeFan16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: London Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,181
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedifr
I agree with some of your statements, somewhat, however, Um, if you are suggesting that they try and play a high tempo offense with the team they have now then you are clueless. Hitch had this team playing what ever style he could with the players he was given. Whether some of the players buy into it or not is their fault not his. Other then a handful of players on this team, Hitch has something that the players do not and that Mr Clarke does not (as a GM) and that is a Cup. Yes, Hitch, the guy you seem to despise and bash in every thread on here has won a cup. The Stanley Cup!! And he came damn near close to taking this team there last year and was very respectable this year considering all the injuries to the team and the changes in the rules.

Hitch is a very smart coach. If the players are given to him, he will play a high tempo game that is needed in today's NHL, however, the key to that is puck moving dmen or at least dmen that can make a pass out of the zone.

Stop using your bias towards him in every post. There is not a coach in the league that could have done any better with this team.
Read my full post idiot. I didn't bash Hitch on there at all. All what I said is that they need to decide on a system to use and go with it, even when things get rough. I didn't say anything about firing Hitch or anything like that. So, pull your head out of your *** when it comes to your bias towards me and read my post for what it was. It wasn't an Anti-Hitch post at all *******.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2006, 01:45 AM
  #10
BringBackStevens
Registered User
 
BringBackStevens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 12,703
vCash: 500
your post had some validity, but i honestly have no idea what you are talking about with "changing systems". the team played the same system all season. the same system that you constantly vented about holding back our offensive game.

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2006, 05:23 AM
  #11
jumptheshark
McDavid Headquarters
 
jumptheshark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: EVIL EMPIRE
Country: United Nations
Posts: 58,410
vCash: 266
go oilers go

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2006, 07:23 AM
  #12
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Do not trade plz
Country: United States
Posts: 114,516
vCash: 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan
Ottawa would have smoked us my ***. With a crippled team will still beat Buffalo twice. More than the Sens could manage.

Going into a series against Ottawa we already have a riduclous built in edge behind the bench.

We weren't winning the Cup with as banged up as we were, but if healthy we certainly as as good or better chance than anyone else in the league.

The Sens at least could have won the series. Buffalo was damn lucky they weren't the ones who are about to get swept. 3 games in OT, all 5 games were 1-goal games. They didn't get blown out 8-2 or 7-1 and at least showed up for all the games. That's not something we can say about our team.

Hitchcock had a riduclous built in edge behind the bench against the last 3 teams we lost to. We can talk about coaches all we want, they don't win you Stanley Cups, the players do. Let's talk about the proclaimed most lop-sided coaching matchup in the history of the playoffs in 2004. Hitchcock was a far more accomplished coach than John Tortorella, we all know how that series ended. All 3 times we probably lost to a better team, and twice the team quit for one reason or another. I'd say the other team had the coaching edge as long as they have a better team.

We weren't winning a Cup with the way this team was set up. Even if the team was healthy, nothing would stop the true speed demons in the league from skating right around Hatcher and Rathje, they were even skating right around a deft-skating Freddy Meyer and he at least was playing well. That's nothing Keith Primeau or Kim Johnsson would have stopped.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2006, 08:00 AM
  #13
John Flyers Fan
Registered User
 
John Flyers Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 22,394
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514
The Sens at least could have won the series. Buffalo was damn lucky they weren't the ones who are about to get swept. 3 games in OT, all 5 games were 1-goal games. They didn't get blown out 8-2 or 7-1 and at least showed up for all the games. That's not something we can say about our team.

Hitchcock had a riduclous built in edge behind the bench against the last 3 teams we lost to. We can talk about coaches all we want, they don't win you Stanley Cups, the players do. Let's talk about the proclaimed most lop-sided coaching matchup in the history of the playoffs in 2004. Hitchcock was a far more accomplished coach than John Tortorella, we all know how that series ended. All 3 times we probably lost to a better team, and twice the team quit for one reason or another. I'd say the other team had the coaching edge as long as they have a better team.

We weren't winning a Cup with the way this team was set up. Even if the team was healthy, nothing would stop the true speed demons in the league from skating right around Hatcher and Rathje, they were even skating right around a deft-skating Freddy Meyer and he at least was playing well. That's nothing Keith Primeau or Kim Johnsson would have stopped.

If, if, if .. you love to play the negative role.

How 'bout this if. Kapanen doesn't hit the post, we win game one, we lead the series 3 games to 1. We finish off Buffalo.

This team when healthy was as good or better than anyone in the game. When healthy we could match up with the speed teams .. take a look at Carolina, as fast as anyone in the NHL .. two shootouts, an OT and an 8-7 thriller .... and that was when we weren't healthy.

Hatcher was dominant in december and january when i shape and healthy. Rathje and Pitkanen were one of the games best defensive paird before they both got hurt.

Before Forsberg first injured the groin Gagne was on pace for 60+ goals and Forsberg 150+ points.


Yes, changes need to be made, but this "being healthy" wouldn't have mattered is a complete joke, and pantently wrong.

John Flyers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2006, 08:34 AM
  #14
MojoJojo
Registered User
 
MojoJojo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 9,351
vCash: 500
Our team needs changes to fit into the new NHL better. However, its hard to gauge how good or bad the team really was since three quarters of them were playing injured.

MojoJojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2006, 08:53 AM
  #15
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Do not trade plz
Country: United States
Posts: 114,516
vCash: 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan
If, if, if .. you love to play the negative role.

How 'bout this if. Kapanen doesn't hit the post, we win game one, we lead the series 3 games to 1. We finish off Buffalo.
That's the whole premise of my point, if we would have beaten Buffalo. If Ryan Miller doesn't let a goal go in off his back, and give up a weak goal to Umberger in Game 4 we might have gotten swept. If the team shows up for games 5 and 6 we would have won the series. It almost seems coincidental that this team quits almost on a consistent basis in the spring months - including twice against the team most people consider the biggest chokers in the league. "Oh well we play better on the road." They didn't even show up for 2 games in Buffalo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan
This team when healthy was as good or better than anyone in the game. When healthy we could match up with the speed teams .. take a look at Carolina, as fast as anyone in the NHL .. two shootouts, an OT and an 8-7 thriller .... and that was when we weren't healthy.
You're talking about the regular season. Let's talk regular season. Buffalo beat us 3-1 in the season series, when that point was brought up, I got "the regular season doesn't matter."

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan
Hatcher was dominant in december and january when i shape and healthy. Rathje and Pitkanen were one of the games best defensive paird before they both got hurt.

Before Forsberg first injured the groin Gagne was on pace for 60+ goals and Forsberg 150+ points.


Yes, changes need to be made, but this "being healthy" wouldn't have mattered is a complete joke, and pantently wrong.
The team as a whole was good in December and January. WITHOUT Primeau. Remember the 11-game road trip that when we came off of it we played like crap and people whined at me "oh don't worry about the road trip." -- the almost exact point where the season turned around. The one where the coach who can do no wrong wore out Niittymaki by refusing to play Jamie Storr in games against Chicago or Pittsburgh.

We can hail Forsberg all we want - he was fine. Forsberg turned out being the only legitmate threat we had, and you can play good defense all you want when only 1 guy produces you're going no where. Clarke rested on his principles when he passed on Doug Weight for Niko Dimitrakos, and left Carter and Umberger to be the 2nd line to fend for themselves since they never played good defensively all season anyways against any teams worth a damn. If you're going to leave 2 rookies on your 2nd line - (1) probably not going far to begin with and (2) you better be damn sure they produce, or else it's all going to blow up - real bad, and that's what happened. It would have been nice if Simon Gagne showed up after game 1 though.

Hatcher was dominant in December and January but not in March and April and his captain skills really showed up well when the Sabres pushed Forsberg around and Robert Esche had to chase them all over the ice to stick up for him. Hatcher is not a new-NHL playerm his game is totally obsolete if you can't touch anyone in front of the net. We knew Hatcher would be terrible back in August when we signed him and he was even worse when he had to play his best. Even if his play was horrible, he wasn't even a satisfactory captain.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2006, 08:59 AM
  #16
mikedifr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 8,359
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16
Read my full post idiot. I didn't bash Hitch on there at all. All what I said is that they need to decide on a system to use and go with it, even when things get rough. I didn't say anything about firing Hitch or anything like that. So, pull your head out of your *** when it comes to your bias towards me and read my post for what it was. It wasn't an Anti-Hitch post at all *******.
Part of me thought, this is not worth responding to, and then the fighter in me (yes, mixed martial arts) decided I have to respond, albeit with some class (if you know what that is). To think I would have any bias towards someone on a message board that I dont know is about as ridiculous as Hatcher and Rathje winning the fatest skater in the league competition I respond with my thoughts and my opinions, nothing more and nothing less. That is what most on this board do, other then the obvious trolls. The fact that you do not agree with me doesnt warrant telling me to get my head out of my a$$. I have actually agreed with some your posts recently, so again, you are full of something if you think I have a bias towards you. I disagreed on one point with you a couple months ago and debated that fact on here, proved my point a couple times while you continued to post the same argument over and over again and like the grown person you are decided to ignore me and obviously hold a grudge over a post on a message board. Seriously, get a life! If I had the time to sit down and go through everyone of your posts and every one of my posts I am sure it would support my argument. One thing that I am fully confident on and always have been is my memory and remembering what I read and what I post.

Whatever your reasons are, and I personally dont care, you dont like Hitch and you love Clarke, it is clear in most of your posts and in your screen name. If you even try to deny that, you clearly have issues. I am sure others would agree with me too, they just might not be as outspoken as me. And I am sure other disagree with me a lot as well. Who cares!! That is what we are all here for.

Finally, if you read my post you idiot (sorry, that was in reponse to the head in a$$ comment), I said in the first sentence that I agree with what you are saying, so then you come and decide to bash me anyway?

You did not say Hitch should be fired, or bashed him specifically (in this post anyway) but you did, however, bash how the team is playing, style, etc. Last time I checked that is the coach's decision, or did the coach's role change sometime in the month since the Flyers were eliminated. (Wow, you must be shocked that I could make that connection, after all it is pretty tough to think critically when my head is in my a$$ )

Lets see if I can put this in English for you: You "bashed" the varying styles the team plays and not sticking with one (the coach dictates the style). My repsonse was I agree with your point that they play different styles and cant decide on one (again, the coach dictates the style). I then said that I feel the reason for playing the various styles is because of all the changes in personnell this year, or did you not notice that and the fact that someone above Hitch, did not put the right players on the team for him to play the style needed in today's NHL. Is that completely false? I dont think so, Clarke even admitted it himself. My problem with you, or disagreement if you may, is that I do not have any bias towards anyone on this team (maybe Handzus ), player, coach or GM. I will bash each one when warranted, and praise each one when warranted. My point was that you consistantly criticize Hitch, or what he does with the team or the young players, etc. etc, but I have never seen one word of criticism towards the GM in one of your posts. Last time I checked, he is the one that has continuously brought in the wrong style players, 100+ coaches, and always had this as a one line team. He has been the only constant since 1993, and they have won squat. I gave him credit for what he did in 03-04, but he regressed again this year.

If you disagree with that, so be it. I suggest you agree to disagree with certain items, otherwise if you want to be petty and start throwing insults around, it just makes you look like a 10 year old.

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2006, 09:01 AM
  #17
mikedifr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 8,359
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514
The Sens at least could have won the series. Buffalo was damn lucky they weren't the ones who are about to get swept. 3 games in OT, all 5 games were 1-goal games. They didn't get blown out 8-2 or 7-1 and at least showed up for all the games. That's not something we can say about our team.

Hitchcock had a riduclous built in edge behind the bench against the last 3 teams we lost to. We can talk about coaches all we want, they don't win you Stanley Cups, the players do. Let's talk about the proclaimed most lop-sided coaching matchup in the history of the playoffs in 2004. Hitchcock was a far more accomplished coach than John Tortorella, we all know how that series ended. All 3 times we probably lost to a better team, and twice the team quit for one reason or another. I'd say the other team had the coaching edge as long as they have a better team.

We weren't winning a Cup with the way this team was set up. Even if the team was healthy, nothing would stop the true speed demons in the league from skating right around Hatcher and Rathje, they were even skating right around a deft-skating Freddy Meyer and he at least was playing well. That's nothing Keith Primeau or Kim Johnsson would have stopped.
Agreed. Good post

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2006, 09:30 AM
  #18
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514
Hitchcock had a riduclous built in edge behind the bench against the last 3 teams we lost to. We can talk about coaches all we want, they don't win you Stanley Cups, the players do. Let's talk about the proclaimed most lop-sided coaching matchup in the history of the playoffs in 2004. Hitchcock was a far more accomplished coach than John Tortorella, we all know how that series ended. All 3 times we probably lost to a better team, and twice the team quit for one reason or another. I'd say the other team had the coaching edge as long as they have a better team.
if you don't think coaches (coaching) wins cups then you're not watching the same league that i've been watching the past 15 years. the largest factor in hockey the last 15 years is that the importance in coaching has grown considerably... "system" oriented teams have been more and more successful.

the difference between good and bad in the NHL is minute... and coaching is a HUGE factor in winning and losing. a coach can make a mediocre team good, and a good team great. you mention Tortorella... he created a system that caused a HUGE amount of problems for teams in the NHL... and won the cup. Ruff is a good coach... Martin is a system coach on par with Hitch, however, he has his own problems, clearly.

for the record, "accomplished" does not equate to better.

btw, if the "better" team won with regularity... the Red Wings wouldn't be having all the problems in the playoffs that they've had. the playoffs are a poor environment to reach any insightful judgment of a squad. i would also point out, that given our blueline problems and the quality of the forwards on the Lightning, we had NO BUSINESS playing them to a game 7...

Hitchcock managed to squeeze a 100 pts out of a team that was banged up beyond belief... and anyone who thought we were going to win that series with ease is kidding themselves. You told me i was wrong when i came on here and said we lost the series in game 1 that night... we were too banged up to win a long series against a good team in Buffalo... losing in 2 OT took a lot out of us, both physically and mentally... and it showed in game 2... game 3 was smoke and mirrors, we should have lost that game... we played well in game 4, and didn't have much left after that.

there are always areas to improve on a team... however, to draw any hard conclusions about the job that Clarke did this year on the second half of the season and the playoffs is asinine. i find the Rathje bashing hilarious, as he was easily our steadiest dman the first half of the season... Hatcher was very good once he got his legs under him after being off of hockey for so long, but i will admit there are better players to have on the blueline than him. we clearly need a veteran playmaking winger to help Umberger/Carter develop into what they can be... and take some pressure off of them. so on, and so forth.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2006, 09:45 AM
  #19
BloodOnTheIce
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 332
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedifr
Part of me thought, this is not worth responding to, and then the fighter in me (yes, mixed martial arts) decided I have to respond, albeit with some class (if you know what that is). To think I would have any bias towards someone on a message board that I dont know is about as ridiculous as Hatcher and Rathje winning the fatest skater in the league competition I respond with my thoughts and my opinions, nothing more and nothing less. That is what most on this board do, other then the obvious trolls. The fact that you do not agree with me doesnt warrant telling me to get my head out of my a$$. I have actually agreed with some your posts recently, so again, you are full of something if you think I have a bias towards you. I disagreed on one point with you a couple months ago and debated that fact on here, proved my point a couple times while you continued to post the same argument over and over again and like the grown person you are decided to ignore me and obviously hold a grudge over a post on a message board. Seriously, get a life! If I had the time to sit down and go through everyone of your posts and every one of my posts I am sure it would support my argument. One thing that I am fully confident on and always have been is my memory and remembering what I read and what I post.

Whatever your reasons are, and I personally dont care, you dont like Hitch and you love Clarke, it is clear in most of your posts and in your screen name. If you even try to deny that, you clearly have issues. I am sure others would agree with me too, they just might not be as outspoken as me. And I am sure other disagree with me a lot as well. Who cares!! That is what we are all here for.

Finally, if you read my post you idiot (sorry, that was in reponse to the head in a$$ comment), I said in the first sentence that I agree with what you are saying, so then you come and decide to bash me anyway?

You did not say Hitch should be fired, or bashed him specifically (in this post anyway) but you did, however, bash how the team is playing, style, etc. Last time I checked that is the coach's decision, or did the coach's role change sometime in the month since the Flyers were eliminated. (Wow, you must be shocked that I could make that connection, after all it is pretty tough to think critically when my head is in my a$$ )

Lets see if I can put this in English for you: You "bashed" the varying styles the team plays and not sticking with one (the coach dictates the style). My repsonse was I agree with your point that they play different styles and cant decide on one (again, the coach dictates the style). I then said that I feel the reason for playing the various styles is because of all the changes in personnell this year, or did you not notice that and the fact that someone above Hitch, did not put the right players on the team for him to play the style needed in today's NHL. Is that completely false? I dont think so, Clarke even admitted it himself. My problem with you, or disagreement if you may, is that I do not have any bias towards anyone on this team (maybe Handzus ), player, coach or GM. I will bash each one when warranted, and praise each one when warranted. My point was that you consistantly criticize Hitch, or what he does with the team or the young players, etc. etc, but I have never seen one word of criticism towards the GM in one of your posts. Last time I checked, he is the one that has continuously brought in the wrong style players, 100+ coaches, and always had this as a one line team. He has been the only constant since 1993, and they have won squat. I gave him credit for what he did in 03-04, but he regressed again this year.

If you disagree with that, so be it. I suggest you agree to disagree with certain items, otherwise if you want to be petty and start throwing insults around, it just makes you look like a 10 year old.

mixed martial arts?
oooooooo a tough guy
talk about looking like a 10 year old

sweep the leg grasshopper

BloodOnTheIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2006, 10:02 AM
  #20
Devonator
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Proud Darul Harbian
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,241
vCash: 500
I can't believe the original thesis here by our fellow Flyer fan???

Simply put, that is a poor analysis........here we are a team going into the playoffs literally playing on one leg and we still beat the Sabres twice...the Sabres who are likely to be the Cup champs...as for the other 3 teams, we probably could have taken them as is though Carolina might have squeezed by us....

The fact is we need a couple of players and more then anything we need a year of reasonable health.......and as for Ottawa, what are you smoking?? We took them rather easily in 3 out of 4 matches and barely lost in the other with our AHL squad....and in all of those matches we had severe injuries......and remember next year, Ottawa likely will have both of its top defenceman gone...

The team we do have to concentrate on is Buffalo....and frankly we are not far from the mark....we obviously need at least one more fleet footed defenceman and a Healthy Kim Johnsson returning and we are ready...our youth is incredible on our team and if our vets stay healthy we are already a cup contender....that is reality...now if we get bit with the injury bug again, all bets are off......as they would be for any team that lost the number of man games we did.....

We Flyers fans tend to be so negative but we have much to look forward too.........

Devonator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2006, 10:03 AM
  #21
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Do not trade plz
Country: United States
Posts: 114,516
vCash: 505
Coaches don't win Cups by themselves, not even series. If any fan of a team goes into a series thinks they're going to win because they have a better coach, they'll either be wrong in the fact that's what happens, or they'll be wrong in the fact that their team will win the series. A coach is only there to be the guide and bark orders, not be a difference maker.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2006, 10:07 AM
  #22
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Do not trade plz
Country: United States
Posts: 114,516
vCash: 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devonator
I can't believe the original thesis here by our fellow Flyer fan???

Simply put, that is a poor analysis........here we are a team going into the playoffs literally playing on one leg and we still beat the Sabres twice...the Sabres who are likely to be the Cup champs...as for the other 3 teams, we probably could have taken them as is though Carolina might have squeezed by us....

The fact is we need a couple of players and more then anything we need a year of reasonable health.......and as for Ottawa, what are you smoking?? We took them rather easily in 3 out of 4 matches and barely lost in the other with our AHL squad....and in all of those matches we had severe injuries......and remember next year, Ottawa likely will have both of its top defenceman gone...

The team we do have to concentrate on is Buffalo....and frankly we are not far from the mark....we obviously need at least one more fleet footed defenceman and a Healthy Kim Johnsson returning and we are ready...our youth is incredible on our team and if our vets stay healthy we are already a cup contender....that is reality...now if we get bit with the injury bug again, all bets are off......as they would be for any team that lost the number of man games we did.....

We Flyers fans tend to be so negative but we have much to look forward too.........

News flash...the regular season means nothing in the playoffs. That's why we have 6 and 8 seeds in the conference finals. We didn't start falling in the standings not because of injuries, but because the team simply wasn't playing well, and alot of those people were not the rookies.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2006, 10:10 AM
  #23
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514
News flash...the regular season means nothing in the playoffs. That's why we have 6 and 8 seeds in the conference finals
what about the 2 and 4?

that 6 also had home ice in the 2nd round.

means a lot in a game 7... and it certainly helps a team that is match-up sensitive.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2006, 10:54 AM
  #24
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Do not trade plz
Country: United States
Posts: 114,516
vCash: 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester
means a lot in a game 7... and it certainly helps a team that is match-up sensitive.

There's been 1 game 7 and the home team got shut out by a backup goalie.


The 6 had home ice in round 2 but the 4 did not, the first 4 teams in the west were out in the 1st round, and that's almost usually what happens in the east anyways...every year since we went to conference seeding either a 7 or an 8 has made it to the 2nd round

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2006, 11:35 AM
  #25
mikedifr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 8,359
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodOnTheIce
mixed martial arts?
oooooooo a tough guy
talk about looking like a 10 year old

sweep the leg grasshopper
That was the point, or do you not understand saracasm? I was stooping down to the 10 year old level to show someone how ridicuolous it looks. Stop trying to protect your message board friend

As for being a tough guy, nah. Just do it as great stress relief and to stay in shape.

And it is more like double leg takedown, get the mount position and either break the arm or ground and pound into oblivion, sweeping the leg went out of style with The Karate Kid


Last edited by mikedifr: 05-25-2006 at 11:41 AM.
mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:53 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.