HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2003 Draft Hugh Jessiman looks like a bust so far

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-25-2006, 12:41 AM
  #1
BDubinskyNYR17*
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: New York
Posts: 10,761
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
2003 Draft Hugh Jessiman looks like a bust so far

If Sather gets a good offer for Hugh Jessiman he should take it. Why is it that 16 out of the 18 picks drafted after Jessiman in 03 have all played in the NHL in 05-06 season?? Sather picked Jessiman instead of Dustin Brown who went one spot after, Steve Bernier, Zach Parise, Ryan Getzlaf, Brent Burns, Mark Stuart, Ryan Kesler, Mike Richards, Jeff Tambillini, Corey Perry, Patrick Eaves, Anthony Stewart, Robert Nilsson, Brent Seabrook, Marc-Antoine Pouliot. Only players not in nhl is Shawn Belle who has been dealt a few times in his career and Brian Boyle who finished his college season.

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2006, 12:42 AM
  #2
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck
 
FLYLine24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 29,435
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOrtmeyer41
If Sather gets a good offer for Hugh Jessiman he should take it. Why is it that 16 out of the 18 picks drafted after Jessiman in 03 have all played in the NHL in 05-06 season?? Sather picked Jessiman instead of Dustin Brown who went one spot after, Steve Bernier, Zach Parise, Ryan Getzlaf, Brent Burns, Mark Stuart, Ryan Kesler, Mike Richards, Jeff Tambillini, Corey Perry, Patrick Eaves, Anthony Stewart, Robert Nilsson, Brent Seabrook, Marc-Antoine Pouliot. Only players not in nhl is Shawn Belle who has been dealt a few times in his career and Brian Boyle who finished his college season.

FLYLine24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2006, 12:45 AM
  #3
BobbyClarkeFan16
Registered User
 
BobbyClarkeFan16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: London Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,942
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOrtmeyer41
If Sather gets a good offer for Hugh Jessiman he should take it. Why is it that 16 out of the 18 picks drafted after Jessiman in 03 have all played in the NHL in 05-06 season?? Sather picked Jessiman instead of Dustin Brown who went one spot after, Steve Bernier, Zach Parise, Ryan Getzlaf, Brent Burns, Mark Stuart, Ryan Kesler, Mike Richards, Jeff Tambillini, Corey Perry, Patrick Eaves, Anthony Stewart, Robert Nilsson, Brent Seabrook, Marc-Antoine Pouliot. Only players not in nhl is Shawn Belle who has been dealt a few times in his career and Brian Boyle who finished his college season.
You're giving up too early on Jessiman. You have to remember that power forwards don't usually begin to blossom until the age of 25-26. Take a look at John Leclair. He really didn't come into his own until he was 26. Same with Bertuzzi. You have to be patient with these guys because they're still growing into their bodies. Once they do though, then it's something else. Just be patient.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2006, 12:48 AM
  #4
BDubinskyNYR17*
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: New York
Posts: 10,761
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16
You're giving up too early on Jessiman. You have to remember that power forwards don't usually begin to blossom until the age of 25-26. Take a look at John Leclair. He really didn't come into his own until he was 26. Same with Bertuzzi. You have to be patient with these guys because they're still growing into their bodies. Once they do though, then it's something else. Just be patient.

yea but a guy like Richards or Getzlaf would help the Rangers now instead of waiting for Jessiman especially with the NHL built on speed.

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2006, 01:50 AM
  #5
Brooklyn Ranger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Brooklyn, of course
Posts: 7,896
vCash: 500
Not only are you beating a dead horse, haven't you even considered the possiblitity that the rest of the league has been watching Jessiman's "progress" and is even more aware of his problems than you are? You really think that someone out there will threaten to overpay for him and Sather will not jump at the offer?

Come on, get real. Instead of beating a dead horse, why don't you just give him some time? As others have pointed out, big players almost always take more time to develop and Jessiman is still quite young. And, anyway, we're stuck with him, so you might as well root for him to succeed.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2006, 02:03 AM
  #6
BDubinskyNYR17*
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: New York
Posts: 10,761
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger
Not only are you beating a dead horse, haven't you even considered the possiblitity that the rest of the league has been watching Jessiman's "progress" and is even more aware of his problems than you are? You really think that someone out there will threaten to overpay for him and Sather will not jump at the offer?

Come on, get real. Instead of beating a dead horse, why don't you just give him some time? As others have pointed out, big players almost always take more time to develop and Jessiman is still quite young. And, anyway, we're stuck with him, so you might as well root for him to succeed.
Mark Bell did not take a long time to make an impact, of course he was on crappy teams since drafted. He was taken right after Rangers selected Malhotra in 98 draft. Bell was only 23 when he came into his own, scoring 45 pts in 82 games and scored 21 goals in 2003-04. And played 246 consecutive games 82 games 3 seasons. Imagine if he had a good team like the Flyers or Avs around him. I wanted him during that draft year.

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2006, 04:46 AM
  #7
Taz
Registered User
 
Taz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Letchworth
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 1,235
vCash: 500
Nexy year is going to be the marker for how far he has progressed, he missed a season and the old...

'It takes longer for power forawrds to progress is being thrown out.'

Jessiman is a young kid, he is what 21? he did good in ECHL when his confidence was low and hadnt got much time in hartford, he was 1 point under a point per game there.in 23 odd games.

From watching Hartford games on B2, Jessiman rarely gets to play at all, in one play off game he got 1 shift where he just showed good speed with the puck weaving between two guys and dumping it in and chasing hard. give the guy time

Taz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2006, 05:01 AM
  #8
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller
 
RangerBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 31,865
vCash: 500
Did we really need another thread on Hugh Jessiman?I don't think so

He read that BB blog

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2006, 05:28 AM
  #9
jumptheshark
the burn out
 
jumptheshark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: hf retirement home
Country: United Nations
Posts: 53,651
vCash: 50
5 year rule for picks

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2006, 05:57 AM
  #10
Scotty Hockey
Registered User
 
Scotty Hockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Commack, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 362
vCash: 500
Hindsight is 20-20.

Damn the Rangers, they went with Dave Gagner with the 12th pick in the '83 draft. They could have gotten Dominik Hasek who went 199th. Idiots!

Scotty Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2006, 06:45 AM
  #11
Skroob*
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 3,064
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOrtmeyer41
yea but a guy like Richards or Getzlaf would help the Rangers now instead of waiting for Jessiman especially with the NHL built on speed.

Why must we get help now??? We're only in year 2 of our rebuild. relax. Dont let the playoff appearance make you think otherwise, but we are no where near a contender at this point, and 1 or 2 players isnt going to change that.

Skroob* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2006, 07:34 AM
  #12
DutchShamrock
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 4,965
vCash: 500
They take longer to develop and he lost a year of that development with injury. He is 1 full year behind that draft class. Maybe next summer you can throw out the playing in the NHL comparision, but that isn't his projection either. Let's be patient and see what happens.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2006, 07:38 AM
  #13
Levitate
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 20,846
vCash: 500
Sure it'd be nice to have someone like Getzlaf or Bernier who is playing in the NHL right now, but it's too late to change that. going over and over this again doesn't help anything.

But yeah I'm sure Sather would trade him if the right offer came up. It's truly too early with Hugh to know for sure what he's gonna do though...his development has been a mess and hopefully that gets straightened out.

i think it's best to just forget about him and let him work on his game. sure he's not looking like a good pick now, but hey at least we got dawes out of that draft

Levitate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2006, 07:46 AM
  #14
Melrose_Jr.
Registered User
 
Melrose_Jr.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Providence, RI
Country: United States
Posts: 10,692
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz
From watching Hartford games on B2, Jessiman rarely gets to play at all
Doesn't get to play or hasn't earned the ice time? I would like to think that if Hugh was an upgrade over someone else in the lineup, he would be playing.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2006, 08:13 AM
  #15
Hockey-Freak
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Country: Germany
Posts: 226
vCash: 500
IMO he would be nothing more than a throw-in.

Though I think it was a mistake to pick him that early itīs WAAAAY too early to call him a bust!

Just one other name: Dustin Penner.
He wasnīt on the radar until this AHL season and now he gets compared to Bertuzzi and others.

Jessimanīs POTENTIAL is higher than Pennerīs in my opinion...

Hockey-Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2006, 08:20 AM
  #16
True Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 15,055
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16
Take a look at John Leclair. He really didn't come into his own until he was 26. Same with Bertuzzi.
Not really the same thing. Not that I want to beat a dead horse here regarding Hugh, but both Leclair and Bertuzzi showed more than Jessiman has at the same age. Both scored prior to the NHL and Bertuzzi showed a scoring acumen early in his career. Granted neither blossomed, but both showed more progress than Jessiman has to date.
Maybe Hugh's time is coming. Maybe he will still live up to the promise he showed in his freshman year in Dartmouth. Or maybe he is a late-bloomer who's lightbulb will eventually go on and he can become a Knuble/Glen Murray-type of player. Then again, Hugh can easily become Sather's version of Malhotra.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2006, 08:25 AM
  #17
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired
 
SingnBluesOnBroadway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 29,898
vCash: 500
Awards:
Look there are few things about the Jessiman pick:

1) When it was first made, it was understood that Hugh was going to take a while to develop and be ready to play at a higher level.

2) He missed a season due to injury.

__________________
SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2006, 08:53 AM
  #18
BLACKBURN
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: London
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 923
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway
Look there are few things about the Jessiman pick:

1) When it was first made, it was understood that Hugh was going to take a while to develop and be ready to play at a higher level.

2) He missed a season due to injury.
I think these are the two things that members with selective memories like to forget. Yet these are the two vital things with Jessiman, next season, if given the oppotunity I expect him to have a very solid AHL campaign. I imagine he will work his *** off this summer and come in ready for battle.

BLACKBURN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2006, 08:56 AM
  #19
Fletch
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 21,457
vCash: 500
The only things I will say is...

1) A prospect who has played or is playing in the NHL is not necessarily automatically better than one who has not yet played in the NHL.

2) Just as easy as you can say 'why didn't we pick these guys picked after the Rangers' pick,' you can say why didn't other teams pick Lundqvist over 180 others in the draft. Evaluate the draft based on what it produces overall; don't get caught up in pick by pick and the 'what if'. We can all say that Jessiman wasn't our first choice, and of course there are always surprises on the upside too where a GM picks someone that works out.


Last edited by Fletch: 05-25-2006 at 09:19 AM.
Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2006, 09:00 AM
  #20
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke
 
Bluenote13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: BKLYN, NYC
Posts: 23,714
vCash: 500
Jorts, you need a filter on what goes through that head of yours.

Someone has to take a hardline against Jorts starting threads, this thread is ridiculous and f'in embarrassing. Not to mention how many times have we been through this with HJ, have some patience for criminy sake

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2006, 10:38 AM
  #21
RGF
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 259
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13
Jorts, you need a filter on what goes through that head of yours.

Someone has to take a hardline against Jorts starting threads, this thread is ridiculous and f'in embarrassing. Not to mention how many times have we been through this with HJ, have some patience for criminy sake

Solid point. Give him time, his potential is what we should hope for. Give him time to develop, hes been setback by some things but his raw ability is there to be a force. How many prospects do we have that are forwards, have skill, above average speed (albeit should be worked on) and can park in front of the net on PP, etc_ Jessiman offers more to the team if he develops.

RGF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2006, 10:58 AM
  #22
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World
 
CM Lundqvist's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 8,672
vCash: 500
I'll give you a few reasons why I don't like this pick

1. There was so much good talent passed up... Parise, Richards, Brown, Bernier, Perry, Stewart, Getzlaf, Richards, etc... which is the ever obvious reason.

2. You DO NOT pick a player from the ECAC early in the first round, unless that player is a PHENOMENAL talent, which Hugh is not.

3. This pick was based on a fan bias, and one good rookie year, in the ECAC. The ECAC is a joke, and picking someone out of there in the first round because of one good season is an even bigger joke. The scouting staff and Sather should have been fired for that.

4. The best player available was not picked. There were more great players available, and we had a chance to trade up with Calgary to draft Dion Phaneuf, but didn't.

Overall, this was a blunder on the part of Sather. I hope it comes back to haunt him, so he learns his damn lesson.

CM Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2006, 11:07 AM
  #23
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired
 
SingnBluesOnBroadway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 29,898
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GretzNYR99
I'll give you a few reasons why I don't like this pick

1. There was so much good talent passed up... Parise, Richards, Brown, Bernier, Perry, Stewart, Getzlaf, Richards, etc... which is the ever obvious reason.

2. You DO NOT pick a player from the ECAC early in the first round, unless that player is a PHENOMENAL talent, which Hugh is not.

3. This pick was based on a fan bias, and one good rookie year, in the ECAC. The ECAC is a joke, and picking someone out of there in the first round because of one good season is an even bigger joke. The scouting staff and Sather should have been fired for that.

4. The best player available was not picked. There were more great players available, and we had a chance to trade up with Calgary to draft Dion Phaneuf, but didn't.

Overall, this was a blunder on the part of Sather. I hope it comes back to haunt him, so he learns his damn lesson.
Its not a question of whether you like the pick or not. The issue is whether or not it's fair to call Jessiman a bust at this point.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2006, 11:12 AM
  #24
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World
 
CM Lundqvist's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 8,672
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway
Its not a question of whether you like the pick or not. The issue is whether or not it's fair to call Jessiman a bust at this point.
Obviously, I think he's a bust if I don't like the pick.

Doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that one out.

CM Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2006, 11:14 AM
  #25
Fletch
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 21,457
vCash: 500
So Gretz...

he can't be a decent player but one prefer to have a few of the others you listed?

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:15 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. Đ2014 All Rights Reserved.