HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2003 Draft Hugh Jessiman looks like a bust so far

Old
05-25-2006, 12:19 PM
Vodka Drunkenski

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Vodka Drunkenski Send a message via Yahoo to Vodka Drunkenski
Quote:
Originally Posted by sstranged
Hindsight is 20-20.

Damn the Rangers, they went with Dave Gagner with the 12th pick in the '83 draft. They could have gotten Dominik Hasek who went 199th. Idiots!
Exactly, it's so easy to say woulda, coulda, shoulda now...when he was the first drafted, everyone was head over heels for him.

Vodka Drunkenski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2006, 01:03 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangersFan
Exactly, it's so easy to say woulda, coulda, shoulda now...when he was the first drafted, everyone was head over heels for him.
Now I am not ready to call Hugh a bust, however, if your statement is refering to him, it is simply not true. Jessiman was widely regarded as a huge reach at the place where Sather drafted him. Most rankings had him on the tail-end of the first round.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2006, 01:11 PM
bleedblue94

Quote:
Originally Posted by GretzNYR99
I'll give you a few reasons why I don't like this pick

4. The best player available was not picked. There were more great players available, and we had a chance to trade up with Calgary to draft Dion Phaneuf, but didn't.

Overall, this was a blunder on the part of Sather. I hope it comes back to haunt him, so he learns his damn lesson.
where have you ever heard that we could have trdaded up to calgarys pick....sutter was doing cartwheels when phanuef well to them....no way he was trading that pick

bleedblue94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2006, 01:21 PM
DutchShamrock

Quote:
1. There was so much good talent passed up... Parise, Richards, Brown, Bernier, Perry, Stewart, Getzlaf, Richards, etc... which is the ever obvious reason.
This is ridiculous to keep bringing up these players after the fact. This is pure hindsight and I'm getting pretty annoyed that people are pretending to know that these guys were going to be who they are today.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2006, 01:30 PM
Twist and Shout

Okay Okay ..

Hugh Jessiman to the Leafs for Wade Belak.

Happy?

Twist and Shout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2006, 02:13 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by sevenSteen
Okay Okay ..

Hugh Jessiman to the Leafs for Wade Belak.

Happy?
id do jessiman for wellwood or stajan, or Harrison

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2006, 02:17 PM
Edge

In this case I don't think we can say hindsight. This was a controversial pick right after it was made. This isn't a pick that all of a sudden people regret, anyone who payed attention around would remember that there was a lot of groans about this pick A LOT.

I also really hate the whole LeClair power forward argument people keep using.

Take one look at how those top power forwards progressed in college and juniors and compare it to Hugh. Take a look at the WJC and national teams, take a look at the first pro seasons and you'll see it doesn't even make sense.

The powerforwards who've made it weren't NHL ready at the age of 21 or 22 and they weren't stars at the age of 23 but they did progress at various levels and went forward. We really can't point to that here. I just feel like this response is a security blanket people keeping grabbing for when this discussion comes up, but when you really look it just doesn't fit.

Now to be fair here, Hugh is not a bust yet. It's too early to tell. But at the end of the day he hasn't come out of the gate strong and you could argue has taken some serious steps back that have nothing to do with injury (another issue that keeps getting thrown around).

Hugh problems are the same that they were 3 years ago and it has nothing to do with an injury. The scouting report is EXACTLY the same as it was 3 years ago.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2006, 02:25 PM
Levitate

eh, i think he's improved in certain areas, edge. from all accounts, his defensive play and play away from the puck has improved a lot this year, and his skating continues to get better

of course, that's not what he was drafted for...but those were some knocks on him

if you're point is that there are still questions about his "head for the game", then yeah you'd be right.

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2006, 02:27 PM
Twist and Shout

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOrtmeyer41
id do jessiman for wellwood or stajan, or Harrison
Jessiman for Jay Harrison.

Done and done.

Harrison is only going to be a bottom-pairing defenseman. When Hugh Jessiman blossoms, he will be a great powerforward in the NHL.

Twist and Shout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2006, 02:33 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Jessiman for Jay Harrison.

Done and done.

Harrison is only going to be a bottom-pairing defenseman. When Hugh Jessiman blossoms, he will be a great powerforward in the NHL.
Please don't that one person speaks for the fan base. No way would I trade Jessiman for Harrison.

05-25-2006, 02:36 PM
True Blue

Quote:
When Hugh Jessiman blossoms, he will be a great powerforward in the NHL.
Nothing like blind optimism. I wish that what you wrote would come true. However, you need to preface your statement with a bit IF. As of right now, he has not taken any proverbial step forward. Or even a half-step.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2006, 02:51 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

The Rangers feel Hugh Jessiman made good progress this season and he needs to work extremely hard to make the NHL

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2006, 03:14 PM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy
The Rangers feel Hugh Jessiman made good progress this season and he needs to work extremely hard to make the NHL
The power forward Mark Messier was ready much earlier. So was Jagr. The question is what is the bust? No one expect every 1st rounder to become a HOF. But no great player work hard to become a star, let alone to get in NHL.The expectations were, correct me if I'm wrong, that Hugh will become a franchise player. I do not see it happening.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2006, 03:21 PM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now
The power forward Mark Messier was ready much earlier. So was Jagr. The question is what is the bust? No one expect every 1st rounder to become a HOF. But no great player work hard to become a star, let alone to get in NHL.The expectations were, correct me if I'm wrong, that Hugh will become a franchise player. I do not see it happening.
no, no one thought Jessiman would be a franchise player. There was just hope that he'd work out to be a 1st line player.

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2006, 03:47 PM
Pizza

Said it before, I'll say it again. Too early to talk about Jessiman being a bust.

Very controversial pick, no argument from me.....

....but:

1) He's a big guy that can skate better than well.

2) Has decent hands, can stick handle, pass and has a pretty good shot.

3) Has a great attitude. Coach-able. Could be a good systems guy.

4) Hockey sense lacking, development slow.

Verdict: patience.

Makes no sense trading him. The return would be little our nothing when matched against Jessiman's potential.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2006, 03:54 PM
Slats432

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOrtmeyer41
yea but a guy like Richards or Getzlaf would help the Rangers now instead of waiting for Jessiman especially with the NHL built on speed.
You predicted the New NHL back in 2003? That is pretty amazing.

Slats432 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2006, 04:03 PM
JayMan82

I just keep on thinking about how many people were patient on a certain... Jamie Lundmark??? He was drafted in 99', so that gave him roughly 6 years (if you fast forward to the beginning of this season)... Hugh was drafted in 03'... 3 seasons to develop a potential power forward??? C'mon, the kid just turned 22... Let's close the book on his career potential for at least another 2 years...

JayMan82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2006, 05:31 PM
BigE

Lets beat our heads on the wall a little more over this one! Has it not been done at least one hundred times in this forum - that someone has come along and listed all the guys taken after Hugh playing in the NHL.

He was a project with big potential to boom or bust and this was known. Generally, everyone understood the principle of what a project meant, so why has it now changed? Sure the success of others players in the draft, but it's more than that.

This board is extremely fickle. One moment patience rules and the next we need the quick fix, the best deal, or something of an immediate nature.

Jeez, just wait!

BigE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2006, 05:50 PM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza
Said it before, I'll say it again. Too early to talk about Jessiman being a bust.

Very controversial pick, no argument from me.....

....but:

1) He's a big guy that can skate better than well.

2) Has decent hands, can stick handle, pass and has a pretty good shot.

3) Has a great attitude. Coach-able. Could be a good systems guy.

4) Hockey sense lacking, development slow.

Verdict: patience.

Makes no sense trading him. The return would be little our nothing when matched against Jessiman's potential.
Nicely put.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2006, 05:52 PM
Mark Pavelich

Send a message via AIM to Mark Pavelich
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangersFan

I recall quite a few people on this board who were not happy with this pick. I had never seen him play but from many accounts including Edge he was a boom or bust pick. With the Rangers Farm System so depleted at the time I felt they should have gone for a safer pick like Parise.

Mark Pavelich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2006, 06:25 PM
Choice

You want to buy low and sell high. Jessiman's stock is pretty low now, and there is still plenty of time for him to improve. I would be in no rush to deal him. If the right deal comes a long of course Id consider it but there should be no desperation to trade Hugh.

Choice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2006, 06:33 PM
The Amity Affliction
Chasing Ghosts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue94
where have you ever heard that we could have trdaded up to calgarys pick....sutter was doing cartwheels when phanuef well to them....no way he was trading that pick
My aunt, who works at the Garden. She's the head of event/media design, and runs the Garden Store. She talked to people higher up that supposedly talked to Slats, and he said that if Phaneuf was taken by the time Calgary picked, we could have moved into the top 10.

The Amity Affliction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2006, 06:41 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
My aunt, who works at the Garden. She's the head of event/media design, and runs the Garden Store. She talked to people higher up that supposedly talked to Slats, and he said that if Phaneuf was taken by the time Calgary picked, we could have moved into the top 10.
Yes, but, at the time, the price was Jamie Lundmark. (EDGE has confirmed this.)

jas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2006, 07:00 PM
shoothepuck

Jessiman was a big ?, when picked, and still needs time to develop. Injuries delayed some of that, and in the end only time will tell what the verdict on this guy will be. On a rebuilding team, it makes no sense to give up on him yet or trade him. Let's see if he'll produce.

shoothepuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2006, 07:01 PM
ATLANTARANGER*

Also people need to look at Commodore as a good comparison

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger
Not only are you beating a dead horse, haven't you even considered the possiblitity that the rest of the league has been watching Jessiman's "progress" and is even more aware of his problems than you are? You really think that someone out there will threaten to overpay for him and Sather will not jump at the offer?

Come on, get real. Instead of beating a dead horse, why don't you just give him some time? As others have pointed out, big players almost always take more time to develop and Jessiman is still quite young. And, anyway, we're stuck with him, so you might as well root for him to succeed.
only at the tail end of the prior NHL season did Commordore find his game. Now, if he was available I would say skip Chara, go economy and get a solid blue collar player that will do a lot of what the more expensive model does for a lot less.

ATLANTARANGER* is offline   Reply With Quote