HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Habs could have the 7th overall pick

Closed Thread

Old
05-24-2006, 05:08 PM
Rather Gingerly 1*

vCash: 500
Habs could have the 7th overall pick

Found this online today:

* The most ridiculous rumor of the summer: The Islanders are not only trying to give away center Alexei Yashin, they would give the seventh overall pick in this draft to any team willing to take the big center off their hands. The franchise is THAT eager to unload the remaining five years and $30 million left on his contract.

Yashin may be the league’s greatest enigma, but that sounds too good to be true. After all, Mike Milbury ended his reign of error during the 2005-06 season

Old
05-24-2006, 05:19 PM
sXe
Yuuuuuup!

"Rumor" was started on HF.

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=250968

Old
05-24-2006, 05:20 PM
Maxpac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rather Gingerly 1
Found this online today:

* The most ridiculous rumor of the summer: The Islanders are not only trying to give away center Alexei Yashin, they would give the seventh overall pick in this draft to any team willing to take the big center off their hands. The franchise is THAT eager to unload the remaining five years and $30 million left on his contract.

Yashin may be the league’s greatest enigma, but that sounds too good to be true. After all, Mike Milbury ended his reign of error during the 2005-06 season
damn weher were you the last 3 days, there's already a thread about Yashin right now, and like i said, i'd do it in a second for 2 reasons 1.Perezhogin-Yashin-Kovalev is a line i would dream to see, we get our right handed talented center, who has alot of issues i know..., but 3 Russians connecting would be something, plus the 7th overall pick means we instintly get Brassard if we want him, or package that pick and go even higher without giving much

Old
05-24-2006, 05:37 PM
turnbuckle*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcel the great!
damn weher were you the last 3 days, there's already a thread about Yashin right now, and like i said, i'd do it in a second for 2 reasons 1.Perezhogin-Yashin-Kovalev is a line i would dream to see, we get our right handed talented center, who has alot of issues i know..., but 3 Russians connecting would be something, plus the 7th overall pick means we instintly get Brassard if we want him, or package that pick and go even higher without giving much
They'd be great to see as long as you're not hoping for any Stanley Cup playoff success. As soon as the checking got tighter they'd disappear sooner/longer than Jimmy Hoffa.

Old
05-24-2006, 06:03 PM
tinyzombies

I'm not sure I'd do it if they gave me their first five picks.

Seriously.

Old
05-24-2006, 06:07 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

bonk and ribero for yashin, hunter, 7th overal, and 1rt rounder in 07

Old
05-24-2006, 06:56 PM
Freaky Habs Fan

How big is Yashin's contract? It would be great to have the 7th overall pick for sure...and with all our young players almost in place, it wouldn't cost a bunch of money for a while...and in two years, maybe we could buy out Yashin if things don't work out.

Old
05-24-2006, 10:29 PM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freaky Habs Fan
in two years, maybe we could buy out Yashin if things don't work out.
After we miss the playoffs two years in a row?

Old
05-24-2006, 11:48 PM
ForsbergForever
Red Rocket

Even with Yashin's lackadazical approach to the game, he'd still be the Habs leading scorer, its not like he'd be asked to captain the team, he'd put up points, hell, he might even connect with comrade Kovalev and get some momentum behind him. If the Islanders are desperate, it might be worth it.

Old
05-25-2006, 12:17 AM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forsberg4ever
Even with Yashin's lackadazical approach to the game, he'd still be the Habs leading scorer, its not like he'd be asked to captain the team, he'd put up points, hell, he might even connect with comrade Kovalev and get some momentum behind him. If the Islanders are desperate, it might be worth it.
I'm willing to talk about it because of the trend to larger scorers, but I remain unconvinced. Gainey has a penchant for resurrecting large Russians. I think it's a thing left over from the 70s when the Russians called Gainey "the best player in the world." That kind of thing has to tickle, eh Bob?

Old
05-25-2006, 01:53 AM
not quite yoda

there is no buying out contracts anymore... 7 million for a redden or chara is alot... 7 million for yashin is just too much.. regardless of how juicy the free 1st rounder seems... 5 years of being stuck with yashin and taking such a large cap hit would just hurt too much.

if he was worth it he d still be in ottawa. if it was worth it the isles wouldn t be so desperate to dump him.

Old
05-25-2006, 05:31 AM
Rather Gingerly 1*

Quote:

Working quite a bit plus my woman is a 10 with a large sex drive. Don't get much chance to read these boards.

I would make the deal...#1 center and the 7th overall.....?

Old
05-25-2006, 09:48 AM
Gros Bill

Quote:
Coach to Perezhogin : "Here's the good news, Alexander : you're playing with Kovalev and Yashin tonight"
Perezhogin :
Coach : "The bad news is : you're the one who has to wake them up"
Perezhogin :

Old
05-25-2006, 10:44 AM
Habruti!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Macho Man
there is no buying out contracts anymore... 7 million for a redden or chara is alot... 7 million for yashin is just too much.. regardless of how juicy the free 1st rounder seems... 5 years of being stuck with yashin and taking such a large cap hit would just hurt too much.

if he was worth it he d still be in ottawa. if it was worth it the isles wouldn t be so desperate to dump him.
I do not think its realy a question of wether he is worth it or not. There was just no way at the time that the Sens could afford such a contract. They where hoping for the best with Chara and Spezza and it turned out well. But at the time when Yashin was playing for Ottawa he WAS there best player (in front of Hossa, Alfredson, Redden, Havlat).

The guy is talented, there is no doubt about it. Everyone here seems to indicate he is a bad playoff performer, and that he as no hart and desire, I personally do not buy it at all. In NYI he was the only offensive threath to look for. He had no supporting cast with him. If I had the choice between Yashin and say Thornton, I would certainly take Thornton, but with the rigth supporting cast to guy could wake up big time and become the player he was once projected to be.

A line made of Kostsitsyn, Yashin and Kovalev would instantly become our most dangerous line and would end up giving more room to play with our second and third line. It would also be the perfect environment to groom Kostsitsyn.

The 7th pick could give us one of Stall, Okposo, Brassard, Shepard and this is not negligeble.. with few tricks we could run away from the draft with Brassard and Whishart.

Old
05-25-2006, 11:29 AM
tinyzombies

That's a good question, what's the difference between Yashin and Thornton? Both are lackadaisical looking players who can put up points. What's the difference between those guys and Jean Beliveau? All are big guys who like to slow the tempo down. Why are some more successful? Is it teammates?

Old
05-25-2006, 11:40 AM
Mizral

A stupid fantasy. Yashin is a pox on any club. Successful clubs don't win with big salary guys like Yashin who won't play hard. Do you see any high salary guys in the final 4 that don't have good work ethics? I didn't.

Old
05-25-2006, 04:05 PM
Talent Analyst

Zednik + Ribeiro + Bonk for Yashin + his 7e choice + hunter

Deal done !

Old
05-25-2006, 05:50 PM
habsforlife

yashin is a talented little bi***.

i would do it on draft day if brassard or someone just great is still available.

i think that it gives us what we need. a right handed center with lots of talent to help koivu.

of course im certainly not on a bandwagon with yashin. would be quite frustrating when he and kovalev float around during the season. but i think in the post season, yashin would perform cause kovalev dont take playoffs easely.

the thing i like the most about it is yashin wouldnt be the one who carrys the team.

we get a big talented center that we have to pursue this summer and a chance to draft in top 10 2 years in a row. 5th (price) and 7th(maybe brassard?) + our 16th pick wich we could draft a dmen no matter what.

i dont challenge the 6 millions since we would have to pay at least 4-4.5 a year to get a arnott anyway. so its 1.5 millions overpayment we could say but for a player with lots more skills.

the 5 years lenght is what is terrible with it. in another hand we would have him for his last contract year wich should be a great one.

Old
05-25-2006, 08:06 PM
Habruti!

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsforlife
yashin is a talented little bi***.

i would do it on draft day if brassard or someone just great is still available.

i think that it gives us what we need. a right handed center with lots of talent to help koivu.

of course im certainly not on a bandwagon with yashin. would be quite frustrating when he and kovalev float around during the season. but i think in the post season, yashin would perform cause kovalev dont take playoffs easely.

the thing i like the most about it is yashin wouldnt be the one who carrys the team.

we get a big talented center that we have to pursue this summer and a chance to draft in top 10 2 years in a row. 5th (price) and 7th(maybe brassard?) + our 16th pick wich we could draft a dmen no matter what.

i dont challenge the 6 millions since we would have to pay at least 4-4.5 a year to get a arnott anyway. so its 1.5 millions overpayment we could say but for a player with lots more skills.

the 5 years lenght is what is terrible with it. in another hand we would have him for his last contract year wich should be a great one.
My sentiment exactly, I was not trying to say that we should get him at all cost. Just that it is a viable option. To answer the question on Big salaries on the remaining teams in the playoff. I would think that both Pronger and Niedermyer represent a pretty big salary. You should wait for next year to see what the players on the winning team will ask... If Buffalo wins the cup, they will need to re-negociate with Dumont, Briere, Mackay... each of these guys will be commanding big salaries...

Old
05-25-2006, 08:48 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Working quite a bit plus my woman is a 10 with a large sex drive. Don't get much chance to read these boards.

I would make the deal...#1 center and the 7th overall.....?
So you're back because you can't keep up?

Old
05-26-2006, 12:07 AM
Rather Gingerly 1*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck
So you're back because you can't keep up?
have to rest sometime...

Old
05-26-2006, 02:41 AM
Complaining Customer

Quote:
my woman is a 10 with a large sex drive. Don't get much chance to read these boards.
You know you can open two Internet pages at a time.

Old
05-26-2006, 04:08 AM
habsforlife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Complaining Customer
lol thats a good one.

Old
05-26-2006, 05:53 AM
Rather Gingerly 1*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Complaining Customer
That's not enough to take my time away from the Habs

Old
05-26-2006, 07:29 AM
Maxpac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talent Analyst
Zednik + Ribeiro + Bonk for Yashin + his 7e choice + hunter

Deal done !
why would we do that? Hunter's a winger, we have too much of those already!!!!!!! We NEED Grebeshov

Closed Thread