HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Notices

Filppula?

Old
05-25-2006, 09:51 AM
myers

vCash: 500
Filppula?

It seems Filppula ended his season on a good note in the playoffs. Can those who've seen him play in GR tell us what he can bring to the table in terms of offence?

Will there be a fit for him on one of the top two lines in Detroit eventually next year?

With whom would he make a better combination on the Wings roster?

Thanks.

Myers

myers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2006, 10:19 AM
sarcastro

vCash: 50
I've seen him play a few times and IMO he'll start out on the third line and very possibly work himself up from there. I like the idea of a Franzenstein-Filppula-Kopecky/Williams kid line. Responsible defensively but they have bodies to throw around and offensive skill to make the other team pay.

sarcastro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2006, 06:40 PM
myers

Offensive potential for Filppula in the NHL

Well, thank you Sarcastro!

I'm hoping he can provide finesse and a little toughness to one of the first two lines.

What king of potential you think he has point wise in his prime?

Thanks again!

Old
05-26-2006, 06:45 PM
norrisnick

Quote:
Originally Posted by myers
Well, thank you Sarcastro!

I'm hoping he can provide finesse and a little toughness to one of the first two line.

What king of potential you think he has point wise in his prime?

Thanks again!
Not quite Zetterberg, but maybe even more involved in the corners and along the boards.

I've viewed him as Zetterberg-lite at this point, but in actuality he's more of a Zetterberg-heavy in playing style (plus he's a touch more solidly built and could fill out even more than Z).

20-25 goals 50-60 points solid two-way play is what I'd expect out of Val in his prime provided his development isn't interrupted. And as a bonus he could play on any line, playing any style and be effective (much like Z).

norrisnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2006, 07:44 PM
19 for president

vCash: 562
Yeah I see his potential as a great 3rd line center and possibly a very good 2nd line center. I'm kinda hoping Lang is dealt this year so Flip can get the third line spot. I think it is important for him to get some experience just incase the Wings lose Dats in the offseason. I say put him with Franzen and Stevie. Two young guys with some decent offensive potential with and elder statesmen that can teach them about what it takes to be a great NHL player. Also would be a defensively responsible line.

19 for president is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2006, 09:16 PM
sarcastro

I think Filppula could have a higher ceiling than 60 points. He could be a 25 goal, 50-60 assist player. He has that type of potential with his hands and his vision. He'll always be more of a playmaker, but there is definitely room for upward mobility there.

Old
05-26-2006, 09:21 PM
FearTheFlyers

Best name in hockey.

Hands down.

FearTheFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2006, 09:29 PM
MetalMilitia

Quote:
Originally Posted by GagneOwnsYou
Best name in hockey.

Hands down.
Agreed. Johan Ryno gives him a good run for his money though as well as Mattias Hammerstrom

Last edited by MetalMilitia: 05-26-2006 at 09:36 PM.
MetalMilitia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2006, 09:34 PM
sarcastro

Hakan Loob is always one of my favorites.

And there have been a few players at various levels named Cockburn.

Old
05-27-2006, 10:29 AM
GoBoltz56

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarcastro

And there have been a few players at various levels named Cockburn.
I think they have ointments for that.

GoBoltz56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2006, 11:28 AM
zetterberg40

Send a message via AIM to zetterberg40
i think fils will be a very good 2nd line player in the years to come, we are just so deep that he wont be on the top 2 lines 5on5 but hell see top 6 minutes because he will get pp time for sure..

zetterberg40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2006, 11:37 AM
norrisnick

Branko Radivojevic is an awesome hockey name.

Old
05-27-2006, 11:48 AM
sarcastro

Quote:
Originally Posted by zetterberg40
i think fils will be a very good 2nd line player in the years to come, we are just so deep that he wont be on the top 2 lines 5on5 but hell see top 6 minutes because he will get pp time for sure..
If he graduates to the top 6 it will almost certainly be on the wing. Zetterberg isn't going anywhere anytime soon and Datsyuk may not be either. There are a lot of centers in the organization, and probably only one of them will be a full time NHL center.

Old
05-27-2006, 01:06 PM
ALF AmericanLionsFan

I'm thinking in his prime he could be 70 - 80 point getter. About 20 - 25 goals.

ALF AmericanLionsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2006, 11:50 PM
abracanada

Looks like Hudler had a pretty good playoffs too. Are they gonna bring these guys up next year?

http://www.redwingscentral.com/stori...ectsWatch.html

abracanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2006, 12:41 AM
norrisnick

Quote:
Originally Posted by abracanada
Looks like Hudler had a pretty good playoffs too. Are they gonna bring these guys up next year?

http://www.redwingscentral.com/stori...ectsWatch.html
Hudler HAS to make the team. He's no longer waiver exempt. I believe the same holds true for Kopecky and Bootland. That, IMO, gives them an upper-hand on Filppula even if Valtteri could most easily be moved around a lineup (like the article suggests). We have no shortage of defensively sound forwards so I'm thinking it wouldn't be that bad to have an all offense guy like Hudler given a spot. Put him on Hank's wing and see if they can move that puck around. Or Pavel's wing and some razzle-dazzling may occur, though they'd need a beast for a right-winger.

Old
05-29-2006, 01:50 PM
myers

I think your evaluation of Filppula is wrong. He is not primarily a defensive guy. He has great vision and hockey sense, but is also responsible defensively. He can also play physical and that would be welcomed, especially in the playoffs.

As Sarcastro said it, he will probably start on the third line and work his way up. He has very good offensive upside and his style of play may translate into a more productive NHL career than Hudler.

He will make Lang expendable eventually.

Myers

Last edited by myers: 05-29-2006 at 01:58 PM.
Old
05-29-2006, 03:00 PM
norrisnick

Quote:
I think your evaluation of Filppula is wrong. He is not primarily a defensive guy. He has great vision and hockey sense, but is also responsible defensively. He can also play physical and that would be welcomed, especially in the playoffs.

As Sarcastro said it, he will probably start on the third line and work his way up. He has very good offensive upside and his style of play may translate into a more productive NHL career than Hudler.

He will make Lang expendable eventually.

Myers
Oh, I'm by no means saying he's primarily a defensive guy. Just that with the wealth of defensively aware forwards we DO have (Maltby, Draper, Franzen, Cleary, Z, Sammy, etc...), having an offense only guy like Hudler wouldn't hurt too much. Particularly since Jiri is out of options with regard to going back to GR. Val is better overall and on that basis alone might be #1 in the pipeline, but Jiri isn't far off in what he can bring and he's Wings or Bust in the fall.

Old
05-29-2006, 04:20 PM
myers

What about a line with Zetterberg-Filppula?

Unless Hudler becomes ultra productive in the NHL, he will have to develop his defensive game to play at the highest level, I believe. This is especially true with a team like Detroit which is always competitive.

However, Hudler would be a treat for entertainment purposes, I concur. So will be Filppula I think. I see a lethal combination with Zetterberg-Filppula down the road.

Old
05-29-2006, 05:43 PM
norrisnick

Quote:
Unless Hudler becomes ultra productive in the NHL, he will have to develop his defensive game to play at the highest level, I believe. This is especially true with a team like Detroit which is always competitive.

However, Hudler would be a treat for entertainment purposes, I concur. So will be Filppula I think. I see a lethal combination with Zetterberg-Filppula down the road.
Depending on Pavel's longterm plans it may be better to stick Valtteri with Datsyuk and Hudler with Zetterberg.

Though both pairings would then need a Shanny of old riding shotgun on the right side, I doubt Kopecky and Bootland project to top 6 in the NHL.

Old
05-29-2006, 10:44 PM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by norrisnick
Depending on Pavel's longterm plans it may be better to stick Valtteri with Datsyuk and Hudler with Zetterberg.

Though both pairings would then need a Shanny of old riding shotgun on the right side, I doubt Kopecky and Bootland project to top 6 in the NHL.
Why would you stick Filppula with Datsyuk? I was thinking the same as the prior post that he would look great on the wing with Zetterberg. Zetterberg is a much better goal scorer than Datsyuk and Filppula is a great playmaker. I think Datsuk needs a good sniper with him and a winger that can pop in about 25 and do some dirty work, kinda like a Knuble on Philly (I have seen someone else mention that on this board somewhere) I just dont see Hudler making this team, I think he will be trade bait. How about packaging him with maybe another prospect to TB for either Modin or Fedotenko? Modin is more of a first line guy to play with Datsyuk, Fedotenko in my mind can play anywhere and adds some grit that this team needs. He had 26 goals this year and I think he gets at least that with either Datsyuk or Zetterberg, is fast and adds grit. He scores goals when they are needed.

I see a lot of people mentioning Filppula playing center in the NHL. Why? Isnt he playing mostly wing in the AHL? We are stacked at center in the NHL.

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2006, 11:16 PM
norrisnick

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedifr
Why would you stick Filppula with Datsyuk? I was thinking the same as the prior post that he would look great on the wing with Zetterberg. Zetterberg is a much better goal scorer than Datsyuk and Filppula is a great playmaker. I think Datsuk needs a good sniper with him and a winger that can pop in about 25 and do some dirty work, kinda like a Knuble on Philly (I have seen someone else mention that on this board somewhere) I just dont see Hudler making this team, I think he will be trade bait. How about packaging him with maybe another prospect to TB for either Modin or Fedotenko? Modin is more of a first line guy to play with Datsyuk, Fedotenko in my mind can play anywhere and adds some grit that this team needs. He had 26 goals this year and I think he gets at least that with either Datsyuk or Zetterberg, is fast and adds grit. He scores goals when they are needed.

I see a lot of people mentioning Filppula playing center in the NHL. Why? Isnt he playing mostly wing in the AHL? We are stacked at center in the NHL.
Z and V are too much alike. Early on Z was just like Filppula as a primarily playmaking kind of player. Pavel has great chemistry with Zetterberg and since Filppula is very similar maybe, just maybe, those two can have chemistry as well. Both (Fil and Datsyuk) could stand to shoot more as both have decent shots. And Hudler next to Z, gives Z a highly skilled winger and Jiri a competent center that can cover his *** defensively. Jiri has way too much talent to not even give him a shot. Throughout his developmental stages (various leagues and internationally) he's been better than Datsyuk was at the same age. It may just continue right through the NHL level. He's a touch smaller, but IMO more assertive than Datsyuk.

I'd love either of Modin and Fedotenko. Picks might be enough as the Bolts are in a bind.

Old
05-30-2006, 12:38 AM
mikedifr

Quote:
Z and V are too much alike. Early on Z was just like Filppula as a primarily playmaking kind of player. Pavel has great chemistry with Zetterberg and since Filppula is very similar maybe, just maybe, those two can have chemistry as well. Both (Fil and Datsyuk) could stand to shoot more as both have decent shots. And Hudler next to Z, gives Z a highly skilled winger and Jiri a competent center that can cover his *** defensively. Jiri has way too much talent to not even give him a shot. Throughout his developmental stages (various leagues and internationally) he's been better than Datsyuk was at the same age. It may just continue right through the NHL level. He's a touch smaller, but IMO more assertive than Datsyuk.

I'd love either of Modin and Fedotenko. Picks might be enough as the Bolts are in a bind.
Gotcha. Makes sense. I just dont see these guys consistently enough, I have to go by what I do see and what I read. Would having Hudler with Zetterberg hurt the line skating wise though? Last I checked Hudler is not known as the best skater.

Old
05-30-2006, 12:41 AM
norrisnick

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedifr
Gotcha. Makes sense. I just dont see these guys consistently enough, I have to go by what I do see and what I read. Would having Hudler with Zetterberg hurt the line skating wise though? Last I checked Hudler is not known as the best skater.
Not if he takes Homer's spot. He'd actually help it a bit.

Old
05-30-2006, 12:49 AM
mikedifr

Quote:
Not if he takes Homer's spot. He'd actually help it a bit.
Forgot Homer was the other wing on that line. So we are saying

Hudler Zett Sammy

I can live with that.