HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Post Game Thread - Oilers 4 Habs 2

Closed Thread

Old
11-04-2003, 05:39 PM
deandebean

vCash: 500
His attitude? This kid is one of the brightest hockey players out there. He says what he thinks. Just because one organisation is trying to make him look like an arse doesn't make him one.

He's got character? Bring him on. I'd take 15 character guys before the wimps we have right now.

That being said, Comrie ain't the solution. They need more than that. They need to get rid of the Perreaults, Juneaus, Dackells, Audettes...

Old
11-04-2003, 05:41 PM
BLONG7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Future=Hossa
There Is a rumor that Bob Gainey will fire Claude Julien and take is place behind the bench,have you heard of that guys???
No way BG is going behind the bench.

Old
11-04-2003, 05:41 PM
Mike8

Quote:
There Is a rumor that Bob Gainey will fire Claude Julien and take is place behind the bench,have you heard of that guys???
Yes. I think I heard it from the same 12-year old desperate for attention that was persistent in the Theodore to Colorado rumours.

I sincerely hope this board doesn't turn into a bash-Julien fest as it did with Therrien. It's true that Julien's made some calls that are difficult to understand from a fan's perspective, but the fact remains this team is not one that can win or play consistently. We should have all known this heading into the season.

Old
11-04-2003, 05:42 PM
TwineSniper

Send a message via MSN to TwineSniper
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plekanec
This is a gutless ******* team!

Perreault has obvious ECHLer skills! He could even not crack the Bulldogs' roster!

Pleks, Higgins, Svitov and Gratton all above him!

Hey Crybaby,

I thought you said after last game that you were done posting here, not only that, I think you said you were gonna stop cheering for the Habs altogether...

do us all a favor...KEEP YOUR F***ING WORD!

I guess it's really my fault, I should have put you on my ignore list along time ago!

--The Franchise

Old
11-04-2003, 05:42 PM
Belarus Rocket

Send a message via MSN to Belarus Rocket
here Is the link guys

http://www.radio-canada.ca/url.asp?/...absMatch.shtml

Old
11-04-2003, 05:43 PM
didjuicythat
@m_desroches

Quote:
What effect would it have on the team, in fact? To use one of Gainey's favorite expressions, these guys are nothing but a bunch of gutless *******s. Some of them are not proud enough to wear the CH.

Au moins, après une performance comme ça, j'ose espérer qu'on va avoir droit à quelque chose d'acceptable vendredi contre Buffalo. Comme Ron Fournier vient juste de dire, y va avoir des changements. Pis pas juste des changements du style Hainsey\Bouillon. Le coach a rien à voir.

Old
11-04-2003, 05:44 PM
Mike8

Quote:
Originally Posted by deandebean
His attitude? This kid is one of the brightest hockey players out there. He says what he thinks. Just because one organisation is trying to make him look like an arse doesn't make him one.
A player that tries to dictate terms with a team twice is not a player I'm keen on having on the Habs.

Edmonton doesn't need to spew any propaganda to make teams or fans weary of Comrie.

Old
11-04-2003, 05:44 PM
Belarus Rocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiggsFan
What effect would it have on the team, in fact? To use one of Gainey's favorite expressions, these guys are nothing but a bunch of gutless *******s. Some of them are not proud enough to wear the CH.

Au moins, après une performance comme ça, j'ose espérer qu'on va avoir droit à quelque chose d'acceptable vendredi contre Buffalo. Comme Ron Fournier vient juste de dire, y va avoir des changements. Pis pas juste des changements du style Hainsey\Bouillon. Le coach a rien à voir.
100% avec toi je crois pas que congédier Cj va changer grand chose,regardr l'an passé

Old
11-04-2003, 05:45 PM
deandebean

Quote:

anyway here is the link

http://www.radio-canada.ca/url.asp?/...absMatch.shtml

Ridiculous. Gainey behind the bench couldn't do anything more than what Julien does. This team is just full of wusses. Until Gainey gets rid of them, the team is nothing more than a mediocre sub .500 bunch of sorry arses.

Old
11-04-2003, 05:47 PM
Belarus Rocket

Just to tell you guys I post this thing only to Inform you,I am not for this Idea I just want to tell you what I saw,just want to make It clear

Old
11-04-2003, 05:52 PM
RE-HABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by deandebean

He's got character? Bring him on. I'd take 15 character guys before the wimps we have right now.

That being said, Comrie ain't the solution. They need more than that. They need to get rid of the Perreaults, Juneaus, Dackells, Audettes...
I agree with you that we need more character players and players like Juneau, Perreault, Audette and others need to go. But it isn't that easy, with Edmonton it is because half of the team can be sent to the minors and the team salary is about half of ours.

We currently have to live with Savards mistakes in his trades and signings, that ends this summer with Juneau, Kilger (Gainey re-signed) and Perreault gone for sure as UFA's. That then opens Higgins and Plekanecs centre spots, trades or other possible solutions will be made too.

Montreal needs to give up on Boullion and focus on their real future on D in Hainsey and Komisarek too. What's Quintal's status? Is this his final year in his contract?

Old
11-04-2003, 05:54 PM
RE-HABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8
A player that tries to dictate terms with a team twice is not a player I'm keen on having on the Habs.

Edmonton doesn't need to spew any propaganda to make teams or fans weary of Comrie.
Great comments Mike8, Lowe himself hasn't said anything negative about the kid an said he would love to have him in the Oilers line-up but stated his demands are too much for the Oilers and he isn't going to let Mike and his agent force his hand. Force your hand and you usually do the wrong thing and get screwed over in a trade, look at our Audette deal, Roy deal and so on. Lowe is doing the right thing.

Old
11-04-2003, 06:00 PM
deandebean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Komisarek
I WOULD LOVE THAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ok, tell me what Gainey would bring more than what Julien can?

Old
11-04-2003, 06:01 PM
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8
Right.

The fact is that Higgins, Hossa, Plekanec, Hainsey, Komisarek should all be in the NHL right now given Montreal's position. And they're not. Discouraging, to say the least.
You can find comfort in the thought that at the pace (and with the lack of effort) this team (and the all mighty vets) is losing, there are some that may think they're untouchables who will wake up one day (soon hopefully) only to hear they got benched, traded or sent to Hamilton. Plus with the injuries to Ward and now possibly Begin (God damn it!), some youngsters might be given a chance. Only positive I can see right now in all this major collapse.

Old
11-04-2003, 06:04 PM
CHareth

Quote:
Originally Posted by jl.roberts
Anyone wants to hear the postgame show, here is the link...www.cjad.com

On the Post-game, they have said that Gainey was in active talks with Kevin Lowe, along with Los Angeles. They (Gabrielle) say that Lowe specifically wants Comrie in the Eastern conference, and will make sure that he is not playing in the West.

I like Comrie's fire. I like his skills, but I'm not sure I like his attitude.
If he can't handle the pressure of his hometown, how would he handle Montreal?
Anything on what the talks with LA are about?

If Lowe wants Comrie in the east, I can see Atlanta going for him in light of the injury to Savard.

Old
11-04-2003, 06:06 PM
Hemmer

Montreal doesn't have much of use to Edmonton right now aside from Komo, Markov and Hainsey. Ribeiro? Won't get you Comrie. Ribeiro=Horcoff IMO. It's doubtful Komo, Markov or Hainsey get dealt; considering they are the three brightest young-dmen on your team and d is one of your big problems, there's little to no chance Comrie ends up with MTL.

On another note, as happy as I am to see the Oilers win tonight, it sure bothers me to see guys like Audette playing for the Habs. You guys deserve better. I hope Gainey can right the ship...

Old
11-04-2003, 06:07 PM
Mike8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchausen
You can find comfort in the thought that at the pace (and with the lack of effort) this team (and the all mighty vets) is losing, there are some that may think they're untouchables who will wake up one day (soon hopefully) only to hear they got benched, traded or sent to Hamilton. Plus with the injuries to Ward and now possibly Begin (God damn it!), some youngsters might be given a chance. Only positive I can see right now in all this major collapse.
Or Hainsey and Hossa will be packaged in a deal to stop the bleeding, as the Habs can't afford to miss the playoffs with their current payroll. And of course, the payroll can't be shed as Juneau, Perreault, Audette, Dackell, Rivet, Brisebois all hold negative trade value.

Depends if you want to see things optomistically or not. With Hossa and Hainsey being benched, and the aforementioned youngsters being in the AHL, things are starting to look more pessimistic.

It's only 10-15 games in, so we can't get too pessimistic too early. There's lots of potential moves to be made, and most teams take 20-25 games before starting to make changes -- especially when there's a new managerial team in town.

Old
11-04-2003, 06:10 PM
caper13

why are they still playing rivet he is too soft he should be benched for a few games at least and markov for one or more just to wake him up.kilger played good and so did brisbois and sourey was awsome .......when it takes your smallest player to start a fight to get something going well we are in trouble. :mad:

Old
11-04-2003, 06:25 PM
oli500

What a horible game this was(for a habs fan perspective). Again no hart. We have a lack of talent in it shows. When a player that misses almost 1 year of playing hockey and yet scores the only 2 goals once more that means there is a problem. The only positives were souray and kilger wich I liked his play infront of the net.

I can garanty you that bg well make a couple trades before chrismas. I dont think bg is going to tolerate the lack of effort of zednik and others.

Old
11-04-2003, 06:27 PM
CHareth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchausen
Plus with the injuries to Ward and now possibly Begin (God damn it!), some youngsters might be given a chance.
Any word on Begin's status?

Old
11-04-2003, 06:29 PM
NWT Habs Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemmer
On another note, as happy as I am to see the Oilers win tonight, it sure bothers me to see guys like Audette playing for the Habs. You guys deserve better. I hope Gainey can right the ship...
The same thing bothers me seeing that guy getting ice time and wearing that jersey every night. Urghh.

I see a lot of Oiler games on Sportsnet West, and at least they are an entertaining team, even when they lose. The Habs dropped below that bar about 2 weeks ago.

Old
11-04-2003, 06:45 PM
HABitude

Hey, I missed the 2 first periods of the game. Is that was obvious Edmonton was a much faster team? Did they capitalized on few chances and Habs were missing lot of good scoring chances?

From what I've read, looks like Habs were not playing with heart except for Souray and Kilger. Sundstrom was the worse player. He is suppose to be a fast skater, does he still have legs? Is Bulis injured? Why he wasn't flying all over the ice? And it seems that Zednik and Audette are still playing an individual game. They don't pass, they want a goal and they shoot out target. They seems to do nothing for the team, only their personal stats.

No team spirit.

Old
11-04-2003, 06:46 PM
Guy!

**Ah, much better. Finally got myself a laptop so I can type things up during the game rather than trying to remember everything after the game.**

First period was played without passion, and after all those 'changes' what with taking Hoss out and switching back in Bouillon, I would have expected more from the coach who's supposed to know how to motivate his troops. Inserting Sundstrom in place of Hossa is what I would term 'useless'. Listening to Pedneault wax lovingly over Ribby is nauseating: he's allowed to have gone 8 without scoring, but Bulis is in trouble because he hasn't yet scored, despite playing infinitely better than Ribby in virtually every game - and Bulis has been on the checking line so far this year, no less!

The second was weak until Julien called the time-out and let himself be heard, whereupon the Habs started playing inspired hockey - only to falter when Sundstrom took the single most stupid penalty in hockey - holding the puck. The third was more a question of the Oil playing prevent defence rather than anything the Habs did or did not do, though it must be said that Begin's injury was costly since our one consistent hitter was taken out of the game.

In the end, the game came down to us being second to the puck all night and failing to win anywhere close to a majority on the boards; Hossa was sorely missed in that respect. The effort from the players, other than the ten minutes in the second after they'd been torn a new posterior hole, was only marginally better than the previous game. The precious system was scarecely exsistant for much of the affair and the Oil forwards were allowed to promenade with impunity in the market that was the Hab defensive zone.

Two first goals can lay at the feet of our two best defenders who didn't do their job clearing the net after a rebound - though Markov gets less blame since it's the PK and he can't cover man to man, especially a guy who was coming in off the half boards. Perreault for the third Oil goal - where and what he was chasing is known only to him. Fourth was a team screw-up defensively. Markov ties up his man, Rivet blows it on his, then Markov forgets to follow his man. Atrocious.

The inconsistency in this team has to be a question mark on the resume of Julien. Sure, he has a system that's wonderful when it works, but thus far, he's failing to bring out the best in his players. Part of that has to be attributed to the group of players he's dealing with; the useless punters who aren't giving their full effort. Part of it has to be in his decisions on who to play where and when; I'm not liking his line combos, particularly keeping Audette and Perreault together.

And why are we still playing these twits when we have youth that's ready? The statement from management that we'd be playing the best players and not the richest isn't really panning out so far, and it's tiresome. Please explain to me how Higgins wouldn't be an improvement on Audette? Please explain to me how poster Mike8 would not be an improvement. Please explain how poster Montreal is not an improvement. Please explain how this small piece of lint would not give us more on the ice.

~~

Notes:

Garon: Overpursuit of the puck left him out of position regularly and his rebound control was akin to watching guys take shots off a concrete wall. C+

Bouillon: Played a decent, if not solid game and he gets kudos for taking matters into ihs own hands when he took exception to someone running Garon. B

Breeze-by: Although I don't think he deserved the small chorus of boos he got at the beginning of the third, his game was weak and he was continually trying to do too much with the puck. His one or two good hits were completely negated by his many missed hits which ultimately threw him out of position. Probably all a result of his increased ice time. C+

Quintal: If he was a computer program, I'd call him buggy. He seems quietly solid then WHUP! system error, and the puck goes to the opposition. B-

Souray: Tonight, despite a few whoopsies, he was our best defender hands down. He and Markov have both improved consistently this year (though Markov had a seriously off game tonight) but I see Souray improving at a faster rate. A-

Rivet: If Souray is improving at a quick rate, Rivet is de-evolving. Traffic Cone 52 was downright awful tonight. D

Markov: His worst effort of the season so far, but I think his confidence is starting to take a hit playing with Traffic Cone all night every night. It was nice to see him paired with Breezer a little towards the end, if only to give him the chance to deal with someone else for a few. B-

Begin: Champion doesn't make better spark plugs. He is the quintessential fourth liner and he's brilliant to have. Since I haven't gone to the site yet, I don't know if anyone's heard about his injury; I pray it's not long. A

Langdon: Could have used him picking on someone again tonight, though his effort can't be questioned. B+

Sundstrom: Had a leisurely skate on the Rideau Canal in Ottawa tonight, even threw a snowball at his girlyfriend. Oh wait, that was the puck. F

Kilger: Nice to see him back, though he should not have taken Bulis' spot since the chemistry on that line was just about demolished. Then again, he's just what the doctor ordered if you consider his work in front of the net. B+

Juneau: He was caught out a few times tonight, perhaps with no one in specific to mark he felt less than his best. He also looked tired and extra slow. Hockey gives 23-man rosters. We should use it, he should be sat, not as punishment, but as recuperation time. B-

Dackell: Saved Juneau's butt defensively on more than one occasion. B+

Bulis: He looked out of place tonight and was never where his linemates expected him to be. Understandable I suppose, but I think the coaches and management have to realize he's the perfect checking line player. This experiment with him on a line with Beavis and Butthead will only hurt his confidence. B+

Audette: Beavis (or is he Butthead? I can't remember... doesn't really matter, does it...) was buzzing around like a bee all night in the offensive zone. A drunk bee with no sense of direction and no purpose, but a bee nonetheless. C+

Perreault: One of his better games, he even made a play or two defensively; completely ruined when he let his man waltz in and score. Shame he's got a case (permanent) of Giveupitis, because he could be a player if he worked. B-

Ryder: Good game, though not his best. I'd like to know why he took off his visor that he was using earlier on in the season. He almost had a nice eye injury. Oh, and I have to say I lost a little love for him when he mentioned before the game that he was a *cough cough* Leaf fan. B-

Ribeiro: Wonderful hands. Great moves. Peripheral player. B-

Zednik: Well, he's been listening to us (uh huh) and is getting in front of the net more. Of course, he stands there like a post waiting for the puck to hit his stick. Watch Brett Hull, Mr Zed, and see what you *really* need to do - constant movement. C

~~

Amazing the most entertaining thing in the game, aside from Souray's goals, was the Mechant Mardi shootout. Of course, as is typical of Hab fans, THEY BOOED SOME GUY SHOOTING FOR MONEY!! Classless pigs going to the games, how embarassing for the club. Shut yer yaps and go home, watch the game on the TV and swill yer beer there. Who boos people on the ice who are there for a contest?? I mean, how utterly classless was that.

Now we shuffle off to Buffalo where we're going to have our buttocks handed to us if we continue this lethargic play. I know Gainey was in a holding pattern whilst he determined what he had, but I think perhaps the time has come to start making some concrete moves for the future, even if it is only sitting Audette and Perreault. I don't mind it when the team loses during development, but like I've said before, it's the type of loss that matters, and this one was another horrendous affair.

Oh, and someone please contact Julien and tell him to work on the 5v3. We had it for an extended period and, if you were watching closely, the only people that moved were the defenders. Sheesh, *I* moved more than the entire group of forwards - while I stood and yelled at them for not moving. No effort there at all.

A concerned fan.

Old
11-04-2003, 07:31 PM
Habber

Those are pretty generous marks for a team that just got their ***** kicked. I don't think anybody but Souray and Begin earned above a D.

Anyone notice that CJ refuses to pull his tender? I know you can't blame Garon too much, but sometimes a goalie change can spark a team. To me, if you're down 3-0 in the 2nd you change the tender right then and there to try shake things up, especially when we have a realtively rested Theo on the bench.

Old
11-04-2003, 09:16 PM
Habsolution

I didn't even get to watch this game and I'm pissed...

Gainey came here and gave a first, second or even third chance to everyone. He approached them in a respectful manner and was patient with every last one of them. Even the least deserving. He went to war for them : banned the medias from the teams charters, bashed the boo-birds, never dissed them publicly and was an all around classy guy. He probably thought that his respect for them would earn him the same in return. Looks like he was mistaken. It tells you a lot about what kind of individuals we have.

He didn't make any major moves in the summer for those reasons and also because he wanted to take the time to truly evaluate a team he didn't know. I hope he now knows what to expect from them. That's the job he has chosen.

On another note I think it's really sad to see CJ bend over and bench Hossa for the likes of Donald Audette. There's absolutely no logical reasons for CJ to bench Hossa other than trying to light a fire under his ass. But when Hossa sits in the pressbox and look down at those excuses for wingers still getting their shifts after horrible performances. It doesn't give him the occasion to learn about what he "should" do better. It doesn't tell him : hell I'm gonna have to be much better than that if I want to replace one of those guys. I thought it was a stupid decision at first and I still do.

Closed Thread