HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Poll: is mattis nordstrom a good player

View Poll Results: Is nordstrom good?
Yes 69 88.46%
No 9 11.54%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Old
05-25-2006, 11:00 PM
Lundqvist=Vezina
Legendary

vCash: 529
Send a message via AIM to Lundqvist=Vezina
Poll: is mattis nordstrom a good player

I am a ranger fan, but i live in la so i go to and watch a lot of kings games. I personally do not like Matty Nordstrom. He obviously is not a very skilled offensive player. Sometimes i dont think he knows this and tries to carry the puck a little too much. i definetly do not want to see him on the power play because he gets caught up and then leaves his parnter facing a 2-1. He isnt a very strong defensive player IMO as he was +4. i just dont think he is very good

Lundqvist=Vezina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2006, 11:03 PM
King'sPawn
Enjoy the chaos

vCash: 500
Norstrom is good because of his smarts, strength, and defensive play. He gets sorely underrated on these boards.

King'sPawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2006, 11:09 PM
Burnaby_Joe*

Does a bear ***** in the woods?

Burnaby_Joe* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2006, 11:11 PM
kingbrath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundqvist=Vezina
I am a ranger fan, but i live in la so i go to and watch a lot of kings games. I personally do not like Matty Nordstrom. He obviously is not a very skilled offensive player. Sometimes i dont think he knows this and tries to carry the puck a little too much. i definetly do not want to see him on the power play because he gets caught up and then leaves his parnter facing a 2-1. He isnt a very strong defensive player IMO as he was +4. i just dont think he is very good

If you take his +4 as a reason why he isnt a strong defensive player..that is rediculous. Matty is a strong leader and leaves everything on the ice when he plays. He is easily the #1 defensive player on this team and plays hard every night. I for one am happy the Kings locked him up and will definatley welcome him back as our captain for next year.

kingbrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2006, 11:25 PM
Lundqvist=Vezina
Legendary

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingBrath
If you take his +4 as a reason why he isnt a strong defensive player..that is rediculous. Matty is a strong leader and leaves everything on the ice when he plays. He is easily the #1 defensive player on this team and plays hard every night. I for one am happy the Kings locked him up and will definatley welcome him back as our captain for next year.
i consistely see him lose the puck behind his own net and in his own zone. He doesn't get back very well when he gets caught up. there are plenty of players that play hard every night. Not just matty

Old
05-25-2006, 11:29 PM
two out of three*

Send a message via ICQ to two out of three* Send a message via AIM to two out of three*
Quote:
i consistely see him lose the puck behind his own net and in his own zone. He doesn't get back very well when he gets caught up. there are plenty of players that play hard every night. Not just matty
I have never seen or very rarely have seen some of these examples you've given.

two out of three* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2006, 11:35 PM
Lundqvist=Vezina
Legendary

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaceoffsRLikeWins4Us
I have never seen or very rarely have seen some of these examples you've given.
specifically i remember one against anaheim when he lost the puck behind the net and it was past out to Beauchamien at the point who scored. I know i saw him make some bad passes that lead to turnovers

Old
05-25-2006, 11:36 PM
two out of three*

Send a message via ICQ to two out of three* Send a message via AIM to two out of three*
Quote:
specifically i remember one against anaheim when he lost the puck behind the net and it was past out to Beauchamien at the point who scored. I know i saw him make some bad passes that lead to turnovers
Yeah. He is pretty worthless. Joe Corvo never does that.

Old
05-25-2006, 11:39 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Must be someone new to hockey. Norstrom leaving his D partner behind to face an odd-man rush? Are you kidding? Norstrom did pinch in more this season which is why he had a career best season in offensive output, but he hardly ever gets caught out of position and for the most part is error free. What he does do that drives me nuts is when he tries to play goaltender around the net. But it works at times and he was 19th in the league in blocked shots. He's one of the most reliable defensemen in the league.

Put him with the right partner (like he had with Blake) and he'll be playing at his best. This season had to be the most challenging one for Mattias, having to go through a revolving door of partners (from Weaver to Dempsey to Sopel).

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2006, 11:40 PM
Lundqvist=Vezina
Legendary

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaceoffsRLikeWins4Us
Yeah. He is pretty worthless. Joe Corvo never does that.
im not saying corvo doesnt but corvo is solid offensively and he gets back quickly if he gets caught up.

Old
05-25-2006, 11:42 PM
King'sPawn
Enjoy the chaos

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurnabyJoe
Does a bear ***** in the woods?
A polar bear doesn't!

Quote:
im not saying corvo doesnt but corvo is solid offensively and he gets back quickly if he gets caught up.
You're overrating Corvo and underrating Norstrom. Corvo is the laziest, dumbest defenseman defensively.

King'sPawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2006, 11:51 PM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

I never shop there. They're totally over-rated and over-priced.

05-25-2006, 11:54 PM
Fripp

Who is Nordstrom?

Fripp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2006, 11:55 PM
kingbrath

Quote:
Corvo doesnt come close to Norstrom positionally. Your first post sounds basically like a clone of what Joe Corvo is, he gets to caught up in the offensive aspects of the game and this really hurts his and his partner defensive game.

Old
05-25-2006, 11:56 PM
CowMix
Go Kings Go!

nordstrom is a great player, i just don't know if he is worth what we are paying him.

CowMix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2006, 11:56 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

I think Nordstrom is a better department store.

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2006, 11:59 PM
kingbrath

Quote:
Originally Posted by CowMix
nordstrom is a great player, i just don't know if he is worth what we are paying him.

It would be a hell of alot easier to swallow if we didnt have Miller and Sopels contracts on the books for next year.

Old
05-26-2006, 12:01 AM
Lundqvist=Vezina
Legendary

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingBrath
Corvo doesnt come close to Norstrom positionally. Your first post sounds basically like a clone of what Joe Corvo is, he gets to caught up in the offensive aspects of the game and this really hurts his and his partner defensive game.
I know corvo gets caught a bunch of times, but he is skilled offesnively. He has a great shot and can move the puck well. Nordstrom is a little bit better defensively but is getting overpaied.
When is the last time nordstorm hit some one anyway

Old
05-26-2006, 12:03 AM
Lundqvist=Vezina
Legendary

Quote:
Originally Posted by King'sPawn
A polar bear doesn't!

You're overrating Corvo and underrating Norstrom. Corvo is the laziest, dumbest defenseman defensively.
Sandish Ozolisnh is very lazy too and bad defensively would you want him on your team

Old
05-26-2006, 12:06 AM
Captain Ron

Quote:
Sandish Ozolisnh is very lazy too and bad defensively would you want him on your team
In a word.....no.

Captain Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2006, 12:08 AM
Holden Caulfield
Global Moderator
The Eternal Skeptic

Quote:
I know corvo gets caught a bunch of times, but he is skilled offesnively. He has a great shot and can move the puck well. Nordstrom is a little bit better defensively but is getting overpaied.
When is the last time nordstorm hit some one anyway
Yep, thats always been my philosophy, it he does not hit or score, he is completely useless and should be run out of pro hockey.
I will take a guy that is always in the perfect position, makes smart plays with the puck, and is a great leader, over a puckmoving, defensively inept purely offensive guy anyday, and i think most coaches would agree with me too. Saying Norstrom is a little better defensively than Corvo is like saying that Mount Everestt is a little higher than the ant hill in my back yard.
Joe Corvo would have been a -50 if he had been matched up against opponants top lines, instead of Matty's +4. Stats never tell the whole story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongebob
In a word.....no.
I concur.

Holden Caulfield is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2006, 12:27 AM
two out of three*

I seriously shouldn't have brought Corvo into this.

But if I remember correctly AM had him/Lubo incorrectly paired against other teams tops line for a long time. So.. that disqualifies that "-50" thing.

But.. Norstrom is a good player.

Old
05-26-2006, 12:30 AM
Lundqvist=Vezina
Legendary

Quote:
Originally Posted by WpgKings13
Yep, thats always been my philosophy, it he does not hit or score, he is completely useless and should be run out of pro hockey.
I will take a guy that is always in the perfect position, makes smart plays with the puck, and is a great leader, over a puckmoving, defensively inept purely offensive guy anyday, and i think most coaches would agree with me too. Saying Norstrom is a little better defensively than Corvo is like saying that Mount Everestt is a little higher than the ant hill in my back yard.
Joe Corvo would have been a -50 if he had been matched up against opponants top lines, instead of Matty's +4. Stats never tell the whole story.

I concur.
the facts are is that nordstrom doesnt hit, he doesnt score, hes slow and hes ok defensively but not as good as you are saying. Im not saying that hitting and score are the most important things were The Kings have Corvo for a reason and its not to shutdown the other oppisite first line, it is to help produce points. His +16 was a lot higher before and it shows that while hes out there his team produces points. What do you think Mattys +- rating would be if he was on corvos line

Old
05-26-2006, 12:36 AM
Lundqvist=Vezina
Legendary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongebob
In a word.....no.
So is it worth a guy who cant put up points and a good +- (i know Ozolinsh doesnt have a good +- but im asking a different question)
but doesnt backcheck or help his team out defensivley?

Old
05-26-2006, 12:38 AM
Holden Caulfield
Global Moderator
The Eternal Skeptic

Quote:
the facts are is that nordstrom doesnt hit, he doesnt score, hes slow and hes ok defensively but not as good as you are saying. Im not saying that hitting and score are the most important things were The Kings have Corvo for a reason and its not to shutdown the other oppisite first line, it is to help produce points. His +16 was a lot higher before and it shows that while hes out there his team produces points. What do you think Mattys +- rating would be if he was on corvos line
Yah, this is why i usually stay out of this guy is better than that guy arguments, it is never going to change people's minds. So you think differently than i do, frankly i do not much care. I think stats are more guidelines than anything, and if you want to think that Corvo's defense is fine due to his +-, than go right ahead, i do not care.
Fact is, Norstrom is getting paid 4 million dollars a year for a reason, and Corvo is likely to be released or paid in the 1.5 million to 2.5 million dollar range for a reason. That is all im going to say on this subject.

Quote:
Orignally Posted by FaceoffsRLikeWins4Us
I seriously shouldn't have brought Corvo into this.

But if I remember correctly AM had him/Lubo incorrectly paired against other teams tops line for a long time. So.. that disqualifies that "-50" thing.

But.. Norstrom is a good player.
Yah, sorry my bad. I was just shocked that anyone could even argue that Corvo is better than Norstrom, but hey people can think whatever they want.

Holden Caulfield is online now   Reply With Quote