HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

A Question I hope one of you can answer about the OUTDOOR GAME!

Closed Thread

Old
11-04-2003, 11:32 PM
Rooks Oilers

vCash: 500
A Question I hope one of you can answer about the OUTDOOR GAME!

Are They (cbc) Going To Televise The Alumni Game With The Regular Game?

I'm Getting No Answers From Cbc!

Old
11-05-2003, 03:40 AM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooks Oilers
Are They (cbc) Going To Televise The Alumni Game With The Regular Game?

I'm Getting No Answers From Cbc!
yes they are... CBC is making a huge deal out of the whole day...

In fact, it gets priority over the leafs game!!!

Old
11-05-2003, 04:23 AM
Oiltalk

Of course they're going to telivise it. It's not only Edmontonians that want to see the big game. The ratings for it will be high.

Old
11-05-2003, 08:36 AM
barto

This should be a MONSTER of a show for CBC... Gretzky is on record as making his one and only exception to playing in an old-timers game for Nov. 22...so this will be people's last chance to see Gretzky playing hockey.

Bart

Old
11-05-2003, 11:01 AM
Rooks Oilers

THANKS ALL!! I won't be missing it! Running to the store for some blank VHS tapes thats for sure!!

Once again Thank you!

Rooks Oilers

Old
11-05-2003, 11:02 AM
Walsher

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone
yes they are... CBC is making a huge deal out of the whole day...

In fact, it gets priority over the leafs game!!!
Every game should get priority from the Leafs game!! Eastern Media thinks they are Canada's team and I bet you would be hard pressed to find many Leafs fans in western or Eastern Canada'

Old
11-05-2003, 11:08 AM
dawgbone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walsher
Every game should get priority from the Leafs game!! Eastern Media thinks they are Canada's team and I bet you would be hard pressed to find many Leafs fans in western or Eastern Canada'
Funny... there seems to be just as many leaf fans at skyreach and that as their are Oiler fans.

I would honestly say that at least 35-40% of hockey fans in canada cheer for the leafs... that being said, the other 60-65% absolutely despise them.

Old
11-05-2003, 11:25 AM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone
Funny... there seems to be just as many leaf fans at skyreach and that as their are Oiler fans.

I would honestly say that at least 35-40% of hockey fans in canada cheer for the leafs... that being said, the other 60-65% absolutely despise them.
I think that is an exaggeration. There is no way that there as many Leaf fans as Oiler fans when they come to Skyreach and I have been a season ticket holder a long time.

And I would say that the number of leaf fans has become less over the years as they age and die.

There are still many though.

Old
11-05-2003, 11:29 AM
Mowzie
Asst. Dishwasher

Toronto has had a Saturday night game on CBC every weekend for the past 50 years dude. Give us westerners are day in the sun.

Old
11-05-2003, 12:52 PM
Walsher

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowzie
Toronto has had a Saturday night game on CBC every weekend for the past 50 years dude. Give us westerners are day in the sun.
Exactly. Nobody cares about the Leafs west of Toronto and Dawgbone wouldn't understand that being from Brampton. I would say more and more people in Ontario are leaning towards the Sens. People in Quebec and the Maritimes either like Montreal or Colorado and Western people don't care about the Leafs. They haven't won a championship in so long how could anyone like them still. Toronto is driven by media, I recall the opening night Leafs-Habs game a couple years ago - brutal game went into overtime and cut out Jari Kurri's Jersey retirement ceremony in Edmonton. Western fans were furious. We don't care about the Leafs and the fact that a aweful opening season game stopped us from seeing an NHL greats number from being retired was extremely annoying. I would say that their are 30-35% Leaf fans in the country definately not much more. BTW - 10 years ago there would have been lots of Leafs fans in Northlands for a Leafs Oilers game but not anytime since then. Anyway this is all coming from a guy that has only been to 2 Oilers games a year and none of which at Skyreach I'm sure. Those who do go to Oilers games know differently.

Old
11-05-2003, 01:02 PM
dawgbone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walsher
Exactly. Nobody cares about the Leafs west of Toronto and Dawgbone wouldn't understand that being from Brampton. I would say more and more people in Ontario are leaning towards the Sens. People in Quebec and the Maritimes either like Montreal or Colorado and Western people don't care about the Leafs. They haven't won a championship in so long how could anyone like them still. Toronto is driven by media, I recall the opening night Leafs-Habs game a couple years ago - brutal game went into overtime and cut out Jari Kurri's Jersey retirement ceremony in Edmonton. Western fans were furious. We don't care about the Leafs and the fact that a aweful opening season game stopped us from seeing an NHL greats number from being retired was extremely annoying. I would say that their are 30-35% Leaf fans in the country definately not much more. BTW - 10 years ago there would have been lots of Leafs fans in Northlands for a Leafs Oilers game but not anytime since then. Anyway this is all coming from a guy that has only been to 2 Oilers games a year and none of which at Skyreach I'm sure. Those who do go to Oilers games know differently.
Let's put it this way... when the leafs score in Edmonton, it sounds just as loud on the T.V. as when the Oilers score. As for no one caring about the Leafs west of Ontario, that is a pretty bold statement to make.

And as for more of the fans in Ontario leaning towards the Sens... if I can't make a comment about Edmonton, WTF makes you think you can comment on Ontario? Very few people outside the Ottawa area are leaning towards the Sens, and if you have ever been to the maritimes, it is mostly leaf fans out there as well (especially in places like St.John's and Halifax).

30-35% still makes up for more fans than any other team in the league, and in the end, that is what matters. Hey, I hate it about 10 times more than anyone else because I frigging live here... but the fact is, T.V. is going to go where the ratings are, and the Leafs get higher ratings than any other team in Canada.

Old
11-05-2003, 01:08 PM
Walsher

I never argued about rating - big markets get the big tv contracts and the air time. What I maintain is that the media and Leafs fans are blind to the fact that times are changing and although they used to have a huge following throughout Canada - the reality is people are starting to lose interest. Of course they have a large fan base they are original 6 and get more airtime than any other team. Just watch TSN or any other sports broadcast. The oilers win a playoff game but the main story to start the show is a recap of the Leafs breakfast at McDOnalds then off to the Oilers action. People overestimate the Leafs following and at times other teams deserve the spotlight. Of course CBC gets good ratings for Leafs games everyone in Canada loves hockey and watches no matter who's playing the ugliness is it is always the Leafs first on Saturday. For the other 60-65% of Canadians that is the last team we want to see. Show me Montreal, show me Ottowa just keep the Leafs off the air once a month. BTW trust me - the cheers are not as loud for Leafs goals at Skyreach.

Closed Thread