HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Beware of the oilflash!

Closed Thread

Old
11-04-2003, 12:06 PM
OYLer

vCash: 500
Beware of the oilflash!

Today I read some comments by a passionate female hockey fan that got me thinking about what heats up or cools down ongoing fan support. A passionate female hockey fan, not really an uncommon occurrence, here "In the Heartland of Hockey." Still, however, the gentle gender is in the minority. The sudden heat of oilflash’s statement on the HFBoards startled me at first, but upon reflection and after review of the content of her comments, I could find no fault. So in support of oilflash these humble observations are offered.

Just how big does the trough have to get before Joe Citizen and Jane Oiler start to show their disgust for such blatant political pandering. Right around the corner on Stadium Road lurks a growing street gang of disgruntled voters and enraged Oilers' fans who wonder when political and personal ethics will return to local and provincial politics.

As well, too few of the 60,000 plus tickets to the Heritage Classic have found their way into the hands of genuine Oilers' fans. This exciting promotion of Canadian Hockey at its best should have been used to grow team support not marginalize would be future fans. With that many tickets to sell one would have thought that any and every Oilers’ fan who would be willing to pay the freight, could have climbed aboard behind the Copper & Blue locomotive.

This marketing blunder may well come back to haunt the Oilers' Management and Ownership Group. Currying the favour of the hockey Elite, Alberta's politicians, and Selected dignitaries in general will not sell more seasons tickets. Loyal fans who may have been enticed to become committed season ticket holders, these almost season ticket buyers, could have been courted with inclusion, not spurned in favour of glad-handing, sycophants who would sucker at the sticky-rich corporate breast. So politicians can pucker-up and latch onto and slurp-up the cream from yet another tainted nipple, but now there are two of us who will "watch wait and make my (our) vote(s) count come Election Day!"

We, excluded voters and disgusted hockey fans, alike, whose heated resentment would have been better cooled at CommonWealth, remain hot in our discontent.

Old
11-04-2003, 12:18 PM
Yosemite Sam

vCash: 1050
Yeah it sucks. Me and my wife we going to fly out to Edmonton from Ontario just for the classic. I doubt any of the politicians accepting the tickets would have cared even remotely enough to spend that much coin to go to a hockey game.

When it was originally announced, I thought "I'm there!". Then this crap started happening. Oh well, I'll have the best seat in the house at home. I'll make sure it's nice and warm, that the pizza is hot and the lazy-boy's all comfy while the nucklehead politicians are freezing their arses off trying to scrape the frost from the glass so they can see.

Okay, okay. So I want to be the one scraping the glass!!!

Old
11-04-2003, 12:36 PM
LawnDemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by OYLer
Today I read some comments by a passionate female hockey fan that got me thinking about what heats up or cools down ongoing fan support. A passionate female hockey fan, not really an uncommon occurrence, here "In the Heartland of Hockey." Still, however, the gentle gender is in the minority. The sudden heat of oilflash’s statement on the HFBoards startled me at first, but upon reflection and after review of the content of her comments, I could find no fault. So in support of oilflash these humble observations are offered.

Just how big does the trough have to get before Joe Citizen and Jane Oiler start to show their disgust for such blatant political pandering. Right around the corner on Stadium Road lurks a growing street gang of disgruntled voters and enraged Oilers' fans who wonder when political and personal ethics will return to local and provincial politics.

As well, too few of the 60,000 plus tickets to the Heritage Classic have found their way into the hands of genuine Oilers' fans. This exciting promotion of Canadian Hockey at its best should have been used to grow team support not marginalize would be future fans. With that many tickets to sell one would have thought that any and every Oilers’ fan would be willing to pay the freight, could have climbed aboard behind the Copper & Blue locomotive.

This marketing blunder may well come back to haunt the Oilers' Management and Ownership Group. Currying the favour of the hockey Elite, Alberta's politicians, and Selected dignitaries in general will not sell more seasons tickets. Loyal fans who may have been enticed to become committed season ticket holders, these almost season ticket buyers, could have been courted with inclusion, not spurned in favour of glad-handing, sycophants who would sucker at the sticky-rich corporate breast. So politicians can pucker-up and latch onto and slurp-up the cream from yet another tainted nipple, but now there are two of us who will "watch wait and make my (our) vote(s) count come Election Day!"

We, excluded voters and disgusted hockey fans, alike, whose heated resentment would have been better cooled at CommonWealth, remain hot in our discontent.
i don't think anyone puts as much thought into their posts as you... well said.

Old
11-04-2003, 08:35 PM
OYLer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosemite Sam
Yeah it sucks. Me and my wife we going to fly out to Edmonton from Ontario just for the classic. I doubt any of the politicians accepting the tickets would have cared even remotely enough to spend that much coin to go to a hockey game.

When it was originally announced, I thought "I'm there!". Then this crap started happening. Oh well, I'll have the best seat in the house at home. I'll make sure it's nice and warm, that the pizza is hot and the lazy-boy's all comfy while the nucklehead politicians are freezing their arses off trying to scrape the frost from the glass so they can see.

Okay, okay. So I want to be the one scraping the glass!!!
Although I still eke out a living in E-Town, I return home as fast as I can to the comforts of my HinterLand hovel. The better half, she of the gentler persuasion, seperately we both applied to secure tickets, in as many ways as we could, within the spirit of the rules, and were shutout. Together we'd have driven that hour and a half there and maybe stayed in a hotel, then would have trekked home happy to have been 2 of the horde who found their way to the live outdoor ice on a fresh crisp November's eve "In the Heartland of Hockey."

So we too will make sure "that the pizza is hot" and we are all comfy too when the screen begins to glow. Our regret will be that many, unprepared for the rigors of enjoying outdoor hockey in northern Alberta, will not dress appropriately. Unable to enjoy themselves because of the cold they will leave early having really no interest in the game's outcome.

Old
11-04-2003, 09:08 PM
Walsher

To me this was the only way to give everyone the opportunity to win. I recall last years playoffs when I, arguably the most intense fan around, almost didn't get seats because a loser scalper paid a kid in front of me 20 bucks to have his position in line (remember the line was formed through drawing numbers). The scalper then proceeded to pick and chose tickets wasting time and selling out the building. He then turned around and sold his tickets at a 400% markup to people in line behind me. The Heritage Classic is an absolutely incredible display of the game we all love and is hockey at its purest. Don't lecture to me about fair and unfair. True fans will find their tickets. Maybe thats just me being closed minded because I have tickets but thats how I feel. THeir are numerous draws, contests, everywhere. This is a publicity stunt of a lifetime. The money generated may help the Oilers break even for the first time in a long time.

Old
11-05-2003, 07:58 AM
OYLer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walsher
To me this was the only way to give everyone the opportunity to win. I recall last years playoffs when I, arguably the most intense fan around, almost didn't get seats because a loser scalper paid a kid in front of me 20 bucks to have his position in line (remember the line was formed through drawing numbers). The scalper then proceeded to pick and chose tickets wasting time and selling out the building. He then turned around and sold his tickets at a 400% markup to people in line behind me. The Heritage Classic is an absolutely incredible display of the game we all love and is hockey at its purest. Don't lecture to me about fair and unfair. True fans will find their tickets. Maybe thats just me being closed minded because I have tickets but thats how I feel. THeir are numerous draws, contests, everywhere. This is a publicity stunt of a lifetime. The money generated may help the Oilers break even for the first time in a long time.
Walsher, did you read the orginal article that started this contoversey? Here is the link again.

http://www.canada.com/edmonton/story...F-F61CAD9E1655

The point of this defense of oilflash's position was to point out that tickets are being given away when they could have been included in the draw. And considering 60,000+ tickets is alot of tickets and the Oilers' organization still manages to disappoint huge numbers of home fans seems like a marketing FUBAR to me. Where the hell did all those tickets go? Too many free-loading bums will warm the seats in Common vs. Wealth on November 22d.

I am so sick of the Elitism that somehow manages to displace real fans. The OAC and the stanch that surrounds the Olympics when ordinary fans try to buy seats comes to mind. When 90% of the best seating to the finals of the best events are already blocked reserved by the Cronies of the Olympics Organizing Committee people like myself can't take my granddaughter to the most exciting events. The Olympic motto is "Citius, Altius, Fortius" to these three Latin words which mean "Swifter, Higher, Stronger" might not we add "Fortunatus" or "Richer"?

So as the result of all this cogitation while driving home, and arriving just at the end of the 1st period last night. I thought long and hard about spending that $11.00 for the Pay Per View feed. This ticket give-away issue was the reason why. How many of occupants of the freebee seats at the Heritage Classic (except actual season ticket holders - perhaps) would be directly financially supporting the Oilers last night I wondered? My guess was not too many. As an ex-season tickets holder I still go to as many games at Skyreach as I can, picking up tickets when and where I can. Yes, I'm still trying too win that prize package on or before November 18th to get tickets to the Heritage Classic.

Being a Dyed-in-the-Wool, Copper-in-the-Blood, and True-Blue, as in the limitless skies of my optimism that the 'Oil' will again bring home Stanley, yes, I'll always be there to support my team. But that loyalty is the result of 30+ year of being an Oilers' fan and the outgrowth of being an Oilkings fan first. Being older I witnessed the Glory years some them from inside the then Northlands. Creating & developing new fan loyalty and solidifying the existing fan base loyalty aught to have been the focus of the Heritage Classic and it wasn't. Someone dropped the puck but forgot to ice a winner for the hometown fan base.

Old
11-05-2003, 10:51 AM
Walsher

It is a business!! Of course tickets were given to corporate sponsors for giveaways and draws that it where the money is. I would rather have a team in Edmonton and have to fight for my tickets than watch the Heritage Classic Ball Hockey game when they move the Oilers to Houston or somewhere like that. You can't preach that die hard fan line for a team that is now defunct. Everyone says they are dieharders bleeding copper and blue - if that were the case they would have tickets to the classic no matter what and thats where I am. For the Oilers business is becoming a more necessary component of focus. Anyway to make more money they need to find. If that means advertising and corporate support in exchange for Heritage Classic tickets all the best.

Closed Thread