HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

PLEASE don't sign big names this summer!

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-25-2006, 06:05 PM
  #1
Stefan
Registered User
 
Stefan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Ottawa - HabsTown
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,322
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Stefan
PLEASE don't sign big names this summer!

Bouillon $900,000
Komisarek $1,100,000
Downey $500,000
Higgins $850,000
Murray $650,000
Perezhogin $750,000
Ribeiro $1,400,000
Ryder $1,750,000
Huet $2,250,000

Total: $10,150,000

Current Payroll: $23,482,000

New Total: $33,632,000

---------------------------------------------------------
These are all guesses as to what I think these players will command in their upcoming contract negotiations. Obviously, if the new cap is to be set around the $45 million mark, the Habs have some limited breathing room. Surely, some fans will call for big-name signings, but it just doesn't make financial sense. With Rivet, Souray, Begin, Bonk, and Zednik becoming UFA's after this season, and Markov and Plekanec RFA's, there needs to be room to manouver.

In my opinion, this is not the summer to be adding high-priced talent at all. Next year, however, when guys like Souray, Zednik, Bonk, and maybe Rivet become expendable, and players like Komisarek, Plekanec, Perezhogin, Ryder, and Ribeiro are ready to fill bigger roles, a big name signing will be of far more use. This is still a rebuilding team, and I feel this is the last year where Gainey's going to sit tight and let the homegrown talent develop.

So here's to hoping the Habs don't bust the bank this summer, leave breathing room for possibly adding a player come deadline time if the youngsters are overachieving and it appears there is a legitimate shot at a playoff run...

But maybe that's just me.

Stefan is offline  
Old
05-25-2006, 06:11 PM
  #2
ForsbergForever
Red Rocket
 
ForsbergForever's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,803
vCash: 500
If there's a chance to snag a big name guy who can help the franchise we should sign him. The team has the payroll space and trade possibilities to significantly upgrade this offseason, there's no reason to put off for tomorrow what can be done today.

ForsbergForever is offline  
Old
05-25-2006, 06:12 PM
  #3
x-bob
Registered User
 
x-bob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,999
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHabsRule
Bouillon $900,000
Komisarek $1,100,000
Downey $500,000
Higgins $850,000
Murray $650,000
Perezhogin $750,000
Ribeiro $1,400,000
Ryder $1,750,000
Huet $2,250,000

Total: $10,150,000

Current Payroll: $23,482,000

New Total: $33,632,000

---------------------------------------------------------
These are all guesses as to what I think these players will command in their upcoming contract negotiations. Obviously, if the new cap is to be set around the $45 million mark, the Habs have some limited breathing room. Surely, some fans will call for big-name signings, but it just doesn't make financial sense. With Rivet, Souray, Begin, Bonk, and Zednik becoming UFA's after this season, and Markov and Plekanec RFA's, there needs to be room to manouver.

In my opinion, this is not the summer to be adding high-priced talent at all. Next year, however, when guys like Souray, Zednik, Bonk, and maybe Rivet become expendable, and players like Komisarek, Plekanec, Perezhogin, Ryder, and Ribeiro are ready to fill bigger roles, a big name signing will be of far more use. This is still a rebuilding team, and I feel this is the last year where Gainey's going to sit tight and let the homegrown talent develop.

So here's to hoping the Habs don't bust the bank this summer, leave breathing room for possibly adding a player come deadline time if the youngsters are overachieving and it appears there is a legitimate shot at a playoff run...

But maybe that's just me.
We have room to sign one good UFA or 2 decent ones if we really wanted without affecting next years negociations.

x-bob is offline  
Old
05-25-2006, 06:15 PM
  #4
psychonaut
Registered User
 
psychonaut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,113
vCash: 500
10 Millions is alots of breathing room.

psychonaut is offline  
Old
05-25-2006, 06:31 PM
  #5
sXe
Yuuuuuup!
 
sXe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Montreal
Posts: 3,735
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by psychonaut
10 Millions is alots of breathing room.
My wife handles the budget but I think 10M$ is quite a bit of money even these days.


While I don't disagree with that this summer isn't really necessary to sign a big name UFA like someone else said if we can get one you go for it IMO because there's no guarantee next year you will get the player you need.
Assuming there is at least one or more player that BG wants in this year's crop.

Still I'll agree it's not the season to go all out on the big name UFA, BG may try to make the playoffs with the squad he has , getting our kids some experience and that's a better way to evaluate them.

sXe is offline  
Old
05-25-2006, 06:34 PM
  #6
Shabutie
Registered User
 
Shabutie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Ottawa
Country: Portugal
Posts: 15,640
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHabsRule
With Rivet, Souray, Begin, Bonk, and Zednik becoming UFA's after this season, and Markov and Plekanec RFA's, there needs to be room to manouver.
Out of those 5 UFAs, I only see us trying to resign 3 at most (Rivet, Souray, Begin). If Rivet asks for anything over 2.5m, don't resign him. If Souray asks for anything above 3.25m let him walk. Begin, well I think he'll gladly sign what we offer (he's a hab for the rest of his career). For Markov, somewhere near 4.0m-4.5m should suffice if he has a great season next year. Pleks, shouldn't get more than 1.5m. If we factor all of those new salaries in, we'd still be no where near the cap in 08.

Shabutie is offline  
Old
05-25-2006, 06:39 PM
  #7
sXe
Yuuuuuup!
 
sXe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Montreal
Posts: 3,735
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabutie
Out of those 5 UFAs, I only see us trying to resign 3 at most (Rivet, Souray, Begin). If Rivet asks for anything over 2.5m, don't resign him. If Souray asks for anything above 3.25m let him walk. Begin, well I think he'll gladly sign what we offer (he's a hab for the rest of his career). For Markov, somewhere near 4.0m-4.5m should suffice if he has a great season next year. Pleks, shouldn't get more than 1.5m. If we factor all of those new salaries in, we'd still be no where near the cap in 08.
I missed the part where he added Bonk and Zed as UFA we should re-sign. That's even more cap relief.

I hope that by mentionning cap relief you guys don't question my heterosexuality.

sXe is offline  
Old
05-25-2006, 06:40 PM
  #8
Teufelsdreck
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 15,174
vCash: 500
What is meant by a big name? I think Shabutie means anyone who commands a high salary. Someone like Eric Lindros is obviously a big name but he just as obviously wouldn't be offered a big contract by any GM.

Teufelsdreck is offline  
Old
05-25-2006, 07:32 PM
  #9
montreal
Moderator
Go Habs Go
 
montreal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Country: Sark
Posts: 25,401
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHabsRule
Bouillon $900,000
Komisarek $1,100,000
Downey $500,000
Higgins $850,000
Murray $650,000
Perezhogin $750,000
Ribeiro $1,400,000
Ryder $1,750,000
Huet $2,250,000

Total: $10,150,000

Current Payroll: $23,482,000

New Total: $33,632,000
Some of those numbers are off. Higgins has to make 950K, he has to get a 5% raise and he made 900K, so he can't be signed for lower.

Komisarek made 901K, so he has to be qualified at 951K, don't see why Gainey would give him an extra 600K.

Murray made 500K so he has to get a 10% raise, 550K. 100K isn't a big difference but why pay him more then Begin who will get 646K, minor point but I would think Gainey will try and save money where he can.

Ribeiro at 1.178M should stay the same, 1.4M seems a little high, I'd hope to see him more around 1.25M

Ryder is tougher to say cause he did lead the team in goals. 1.7M is a lot, I'd hope to see it around 1.5M maybe even 1.4M if possible, of course he could hold out again.

Huet is the big question mark, it's impossible to say what he will get but I'd hope to see it under 2M. If Gainey can get something worked out before July 1st, maybe he can keep the price down in the 1.5, 1.75M range.

You still need a backup goalie plus some fillers like a 7th D (Streit or Cote I'd guess) and a rookie like Kostitsyn would cost 942K

montreal is offline  
Old
05-25-2006, 07:44 PM
  #10
Marchy79
Registered User
 
Marchy79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Barrie
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,915
vCash: 500
I'd like to see Ruslan Salei on our point in September...
I would consider him a very good impact signing... He's tough, and plays hard. He could teach some of our 'd' (ahem: Souray) about tagging guys with an impact hit too

Marchy79 is offline  
Old
05-25-2006, 08:30 PM
  #11
oli500
Registered User
 
oli500's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Kitchener
Posts: 4,610
vCash: 500
It depends if youre going to go big make sure you get a diference maker. A elias or a lindstrom type player who can put you over the top. Dont go sign a savard at over 4 mill cause thats a waste of money. If savard is welling to take a pay cut than hes welcome to come here but if hes going to play hard ball we dont want you. All I want is a winner and you built a winner by spending money wisely. I would not have a problem given elias and niklas lindstrom the max dollars cause you no what youre getting. Again only those players are worth overspending fore. If you overspend on the savards of the world more often than not it bites u in the ***

oli500 is offline  
Old
05-26-2006, 10:03 AM
  #12
hab
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 654
vCash: 500
you cant play for next season... but I also dont beleive gainey is going after any big

names, he might just pick up a guy like carney, markov or salei and that will be it.

I can also see him dealing aeibisher, maybe even at the draft if huet is signed...

hab is offline  
Old
05-26-2006, 10:17 AM
  #13
AH
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Woodbridge, ON
Country: Pakistan
Posts: 4,879
vCash: 500
This year's crop is downright awful, except for Chara, Redden, Lidstrom, and Elias. I see three of those guys re-signing with their current teams and Chara going West.

If 2005 was the greatest free agency class of all time, the 2006 edition could possibly be the worst. There are lots of good players, but most of them have serious warts, and no one that really stands out past those 4.

People who expect the Habs to fill all their holes this summer are in for a disappointing off-season.

.... Unless of course we make a 5 year $30 million pitch for Eric Staal or Jason Spezza. Those two guys would make the team ultimate contenders.

AH is offline  
Old
05-26-2006, 10:23 AM
  #14
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Western Canuckland
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,951
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to toshiro
Quote:
Originally Posted by AH
This year's crop is downright awful, except for Chara, Redden, Lidstrom, and Elias. I see three of those guys re-signing with their current teams and Chara going West.

If 2005 was the greatest free agency class of all time, the 2006 edition could possibly be the worst. There are lots of good players, but most of them have serious warts, and no one that really stands out past those 4.

People who expect the Habs to fill all their holes this summer are in for a disappointing off-season.

.... Unless of course we make a 5 year $30 million pitch for Eric Staal or Jason Spezza. Those two guys would make the team ultimate contenders.
Jovo, Reddon and a trade for Lang would put the Habs over the top.

toshiro is offline  
Old
05-26-2006, 11:36 AM
  #15
tinyzombies
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: LA via Montreal
Posts: 11,824
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by toshiro
Jovo, Reddon and a trade for Lang would put the Habs over the top.
Both Jovo and Redden are left D, right? Wouldn't work.

tinyzombies is offline  
Old
05-26-2006, 12:59 PM
  #16
gars59
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Trois-Rivières
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,668
vCash: 500
bouillon will want the some money of dandenault ....

gars59 is offline  
Old
05-26-2006, 01:21 PM
  #17
Dan K
HFBoards Partner
 
Dan K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,176
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Dan K
I don't think you can decide beforehand to *not* sign free agents. Every Summer, Gainey will look out on the market and see what's available and for how much, along with analyzing what the team's needs are.

If there's someone available that is willing to come here, fills a need, and is reasonably costed, then we sign him. Be it this Summer, next, or whenever.

2006-2007
Higgins - Koivu - Ryder
Kostitsyn/UFA - Ribeiro/UFA - Kovalev
UFA/Trade - Plekanec - Perezhogin
Murray - Bonk - Begin

Markov - Komisarek
Souray - Rivet
Dandenault - UFA(Bouillon?)/Trade

UFA(Huet?)/Aebischer
Aebischer/Danis

2007-2008
Higgins - Koivu - Ryder/Trade
Kostitsyn - UFA - Kovalev
Latendresse/UFA - Plekanec - Perezhogin
Murray - Lapierre/Chipchura - Begin

Markov - Komisarek
UFA/Trade - Rivet
Dandenault - Emelin/UFA

Huet
Danis/Halak

IMO, that's the direction we're headed.

Dan K is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:14 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.