HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Victor Kozlov

Old
05-26-2006, 12:46 PM
Henriksen

vCash: 500
Victor Kozlov

Before you start flaming consider this:
Huge very skilled rightshooting C, not too expensive ( made 1,75 m last year)

Although he had a sub-par year he was very good in the olympics, at least I was very impressed by his intensity in the important games. This is one player who could respond well to the pressure of playing in montreal, and i would also think that Kovalev could be a very good influence on him, as would the other russians on the habs as Kozlov seems to play better when surrounded bu russians( he had a very good year at home during the lockout, and played well in Florida when Pavel Bure was there.

I admit that there is risk involved with signing him but I believe that the return could be very high, and although he would probably have the odd games where his intensity is not there he could be a top playoff performer like Bonk was this year and after all that is what we should be looking for.

I have great faith in our managment and coaching staff and i believe in what i have seen as a plan on bulding a teem based on speed and grit, but there is no way around the fact that we need skill and scoring and Kozlov could surprise a lot people in Montreal...

Last edited by Henriksen: 05-26-2006 at 12:58 PM.
Henriksen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2006, 01:37 PM
Souffle
A soupçon of nutmeg

There's no doubting his talent. But with all the question marks around him, I think he's a Plan C type of guy. I'm not even sure he would be much of an upgrade, if at all, over Ribeiro. If Gainey can't get anything done to acquire a top 6 center, maybe we'll see Kozlov invited to training camp. Beyond that, I wouldn't bother.

Souffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2006, 01:42 PM
Twist and Shout

He has talent, but no drive.

Twist and Shout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2006, 02:15 PM
Henriksen

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevenSteen
He has talent, but no drive.
I agree to that, when looking at the Kozlov we have seen in the NHL, but that is my point, i think the environment in Montreal could brng out the the best in him and in my eyes Kozlov at his best could be a monster, a huge vastly skilled right shooting C/W who would fit very well on a line with Kovalev.

No doubt there is plenty risk involved, but his upside is so great that at the price he would command he could make us a contender because there would still be plenty of cap space for another signing.

If he does not pan out, offcourse, there will be no end to the whining from Habs fans, but that would also take pressure off the other players as someone always seems to be the scapegoat

I do not really think it is something Gayney will do, but i would welcome it if he did as Kozlovs value is at an all-time low now, which I think is good when looking at UFA's as the big names recently have been overpriced.

Old
05-26-2006, 02:22 PM
hab

I think I would keep robiero over kozlov... really no upgrade aside from 5 usless

inches

hab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2006, 02:51 PM
Henriksen

Quote:
Originally Posted by hab
I think I would keep robiero over kozlov... really no upgrade aside from 5 usless

inches
The way Kozlov played last year maybe not, but I very much doubt that Mike Ribeiro would make the top two line on the Russian Olympic team if he was Russian
It would be interesting to hear what someone who knows russian hockey like Slitty thinks of him.
It seems like i have a hard time getting people to join the Kozlov bandwagon, but I still think that in an environment like Montreal he could come out in full bloom and surprise a lot of people.

(Especially if Carbo could convince Igor Larionaov to be an assistant coach here, imo he would be a perfect fit, one of the best hockey brains ever and a nice help tou our young budding russian stars like Markov, Kost and Perez, but that is just wishful thinking.. I have no idea whether Larioanov would want such a job, and i doubt it)

Old
05-26-2006, 02:59 PM
Team_Spirit
#FireTherrien

vCash: 915
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henriksen
(Especially if Carbo could convince Igor Larionaov to be an assistant coach here, imo he would be a perfect fit, one of the best hockey brains ever and a nice help tou our young budding russian stars like Markov, Kost and Perez, but that is just wishful thinking.. I have no idea whether Larioanov would want such a job, and i doubt it)
That would be the best thing to happen this summer for the Habs and they should put everything in motion to get it done. Getting everything out of our Russian is an absolute must if we want to compete with the top teams in the East . Kovalev and Markov are franchise players when they are at their best and if someone can bring them to that level on most nights Larionov is one of them. It would also play a huge role for young russians in the systhem like Emelin and possibly someone we could draft this year as most teams wont draft Russian players because of the possible tranfers problems. Let's not fool ourselves the best Russian propects want to play in the NHL and im sure our scouts could find a gem over there. About Kozlov im not sure it's a good idea to bring him over and takes Plekanec ice time , unless they trade Ribeiro i dont see it getting done .

Team_Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2006, 03:20 PM
Henriksen

I highly doubt we would be able to get Larionov but it is a nice idea, but i find it strange that there are not more assistants from the eastern european countries, as there are several great players who have retired who would work very well in such a position, especially with all the talk you hear about young talented russians etc, who have a hard time climatizing to NA. And I also believe that european coaches could be more of a resource these days with the changes to the NHL game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jozeph_Balej
About Kozlov im not sure it's a good idea to bring him over and takes Plekanec ice time , unless they trade Ribeiro i dont see it getting done .
I would not want to cut into Plekanec' ice teime either, but if Ribeiro is to stay as the second line C I think he would have to improve his game vastly. He could however move to the wing. Kozlov can also play either wing

Old
05-26-2006, 04:43 PM
Blind Gardien
nexus of the crisis

Well, he could be a relatively cheap option, assuming his bad reputation sticks with him. Given that we are talking about using Lang as a potential spot-holder, then I don't think Kozlov would be toooooo dramatically far off that, especially if he comes in at 1/3 the pricetag. Certainly wouldn't be my first choice, and it does smack a bit of the reclamation type mindset that maybe a team edging towards contention shouldn't have to resort to anymore, but... I wouldn't rule him out entirely. If the summer is dragging on and nothing else seems to be happening and it seems like he'd be cheap, then I suppose it couldn't hurt too much. Rather sidewise given that we're supposedly dumping on Bulis, Zednik, and Ribeiro for some of the things that Kozlov gets knocked for, though.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2006, 09:56 PM
superstar436

actually, some scouting reports suggests that he is better at wing than on center.

I say no to players like kozlov. We already have bonk who is careless and 1/3 kovalev, we don't need to add more headache to the ones thar we already have, rather eliminate it.

I am willing to stick with Plekanec until midway session and see who is available or not and then make a move. I just don't see anyone who can do this job

lang :
unless we get him with a 3 rd round. I am not willing to give zednik. I prefer to give Z and our first round to move in draft order or get a good young player

arnott : no, no, no. will not always give his 100% and you will not pay less than 4.5. I prefer to get a jovocop or kubina with that money coz they will give more in return. also Arnott is an excellent 2nd c-man. This is way too much for him.

superstar436 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2006, 09:00 AM
Mike8

Yikes, no way. I'd take Ribeiro over Viktor Kozlov in a heartbeat.

Mike8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2006, 10:07 AM
oli500

Havent people had enough with radek bonks because thats what kozlov is another radek bonk and a worser version may I add.

oli500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2006, 01:02 PM
VAN-HAB
Vancouver Habitant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henriksen
The way Kozlov played last year maybe not, but I very much doubt that Mike Ribeiro would make the top two line on the Russian Olympic team if he was Russian
It would be interesting to hear what someone who knows russian hockey like Slitty thinks of him.
It seems like i have a hard time getting people to join the Kozlov bandwagon, but I still think that in an environment like Montreal he could come out in full bloom and surprise a lot of people.

I doubt Larionov would coach in Montreal, I heard however romors that The Canucks are trying to get him as head coach. Yes i do agree he is one of the best hockey brains in NHL history.

VAN-HAB is offline   Reply With Quote