HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Group II Players and Offer Sheets

Old
05-26-2006, 10:24 AM
habfan4

vCash: 500
Group II Players and Offer Sheets

I thought I'd take some time off from my usual thread hi-jacking and post a topic for discussion.

Given that the first off-season under the new CBA and salary cap is approaching and given that certain teams find themselves in precarious positions with regards to same (i.e. NJD, Ottawa and the Bolts), would it make sense for the Habs to make contract offers to players whose rights (Group II) belong to said teams? For instance would it make sense for Gainey to extend Offer Sheets to Gomez or Havlat or Shaefer or Fedotenko etc... These players are only examples, but I'd be interested to hear about other possible targets or whether the process even makes sense. Keep in mind the draft pick compensation requirements contained in the CBA (for details, see below)

Group 2 Compensation

$660,000 or below - No compensation
Over $660,000 to $1 million - Third Round
Over $1 million to $2.0 million -Second Round
Over $2.0 million to $3.0 million - First Round and Third Round
Over $3.0 million to $4.0 million - First Round, Second Round, and Third Round
Over $4.0 million to $5.0 million -Two First Rounds, Second Round, and Third Round
Over $5 million - Four First Rounds

Note: As is the custom, you are invited to bash and/or flame me if this topic has been discussed in a duplicate thread.

habfan4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2006, 10:26 AM
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via Yahoo to toshiro
Quote:
Originally Posted by habfan4
I thought I'd take some time off from my usual thread hi-jacking and post a topic for discussion.

Given that the first off-season under the new CBA and salary cap is approaching and given that certain teams find themselves in precarious positions with regards to same (i.e. NJD, Ottawa and the Bolts), would it make sense for the Habs to make contract offers to players whose rights (Group II) belong to said teams? For instance would it make sense for Gainey to extend Offer Sheets to Gomez or Havlat or Shaefer or Fedotenko etc... These players are only examples, but I'd be interested to hear about other possible targets or whether the process even makes sense. Keep in mind the draft pick compensation requirements contained in the CBA (for details, see below)

Group 2 Compensation

$660,000 or below - No compensation
Over $660,000 to $1 million - Third Round
Over $1 million to $2.0 million -Second Round
Over $2.0 million to $3.0 million - First Round and Third Round
Over $3.0 million to $4.0 million - First Round, Second Round, and Third Round
Over $4.0 million to $5.0 million -Two First Rounds, Second Round, and Third Round
Over $5 million - Four First Rounds

Note: As is the custom, you are invited to bash and/or flame me if this topic has been discussed in a duplicate thread.
4 mill to Havlat and trade zed and change for Lang

toshiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2006, 11:07 AM
habfan4

Quote:
Originally Posted by toshiro
4 mill to Havlat and trade zed and change for Lang
Make it so.

Unfortunately, I think Havlat will be looking for a richer long term deal, the type of deal that would cost the Habs 4 1st rounders as compensation.

habfan4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2006, 04:46 PM
Blind Gardien
nexus of the crisis

I would totally support an unofficial collusion to make RFA offer sheets completely unheard of. If we started slinging offers around, it would eventually just come back to bite us. Plus, I think it is important to build through the draft. No way am I gonna give up 4 1st rounders to rent Havlat for three or four years. That's nuts.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2006, 04:52 PM
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via Yahoo to toshiro
Quote:
Originally Posted by habfan4
Make it so.

Unfortunately, I think Havlat will be looking for a richer long term deal, the type of deal that would cost the Habs 4 1st rounders as compensation.
Will Havlat get 5 million?

toshiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2006, 05:15 PM
sXe
Yuuuuuup!

Won't happen. Just not worth it in the long run.

sXe is online now   Reply With Quote