HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Huge Rumor: IGINLA TO Mtl ? (Source)

Closed Thread

Old
11-04-2003, 07:38 PM
Traitor8

vCash: 500
Huge Rumor: IGINLA TO Mtl ? (Source)

I was watching 110% ...TQS

Yvan Martineau who was at the Bell Centre said that there is a rumor going around in there ...

He said Gainey called Flames Gm and told him, take ANY three players you want from my team EXCEPT FOR JOSE THEODORE in exchange for Iggy.

What do you guys think?

is it a good trade if it was

Komisarek,Souray,Zednik ? or Komi,Souray,Koivu ?

Old
11-04-2003, 07:40 PM
Peter Griffin

Doubtful...

Old
11-04-2003, 07:42 PM
BruinFan42

Any three players for Iginla?

Koivu, Zednik and Markov for Iginla?

That's brutal....

Old
11-04-2003, 07:44 PM
KillToronto

vCash:
Iginla sucks this year.

Old
11-04-2003, 07:51 PM
Jon Burke

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Komisarek8
I was watching 110% ...TQS

Yvan Martineau who was at the Bell Centre said that there is a rumor going around in there ...

He said Gainey called Flames Gm and told him, take ANY three players you want from my team EXCEPT FOR JOSE THEODORE in exchange for Iggy.

What do you guys think?

is it a good trade if it was

Komisarek,Souray,Zednik ? or Komi,Souray,Koivu ?
I don't know much about your source - whether it's reliable or not - but I'm willing to bet that the Flames would want a great deal in return for Jarome Iginla - probably more than the Habs are willing to give up.

Iggy is their captain and best player. He is gritty, hard-working and solid defensively. He's maybe one of the best all-around forwards in the NHL, and to think that the Flames will move him is dubious at best. The Flames, IMO, need a superstar like Iggy to draw fans out to their games. Otherwise they might lose fans. At least, I'd guess that they would.

That said, the Habs do have some interesting things to offer. Guys like Garon, Komarisek, Zednik, Souray or any of the Habs bluechip prospects might get Sutter's interest, but the question is, will the Habs be willing to surrender the players or prospects it would take to get Iginla? Your source claims it to be so, but as I said, I know nothing about the source and it's reliability, so I'll just go on what I know. I know that Gainey has yet to make a significant trade in his tenure with the Habs. I also know that Montreal is off to a solid 6-6 start. I also know that the Habs have many holes in their lineup - a lack of size and grit among both the forwards and defense and a lack of scoring among the forwards being the main ones - that would just be magnified if they gutted their depth to try and get a player like Iginla.

As good as Iggy is (and I'm sure that the Habs would love to have him - heck, who wouldn't?), it sometimes is better to have a team of lesser-known players than a superstar and a bunch of crummy players. Not insulting the Habs, just saying that teams aren't just about the superstars. Every player is important to a team, and depth is perhaps more important than having a superstar. That's why I think that the Habs would not do this, besides the fact that they'd probably consider the asking price to be unreasonable.

And the Flames probably don't want to move their captain and superstar, who is key to selling tickets to games.

It just doesn't add up, although I wouldn't ever rule out the possibility of some sort of a trade happening between these two teams.

Old
11-04-2003, 07:53 PM
Dr.Strangelove91

pick 3 players for 1 Iginla...

I've heard on TV (110% on TQS) that the journalists; after tonight's game we're talking about a rumor that Gainey would have said to the flames managing staff: "Pick any 3 players, ANY players in the habs organization, except koivu and theodore, and give me Iginla". Of course this doesn't seem like serious stuff, but just for fun, what players (prospects or actual players) would you guys pick outside of Koivu and Theodore, for Iginla if you were Calgary's GM.

My pick would be:

1. Andrei Kastsitsyn
2. Andrei Markov
3. Mike Komisarek

Old
11-04-2003, 07:54 PM
Ice Cream Man
$1 Oysters

If this were true, and I was the GM of Calgary, I'd go for Zednik, Komisarek and Koivu.

But here's hoping that Iginla remains in Calgary for life!

Old
11-04-2003, 07:56 PM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
Ya, I doubt that as well. What if he said ok, Markov, Komisarek, Zednik? I mean that would murder Montreal's future on the blueline! I could see him saying pick any player on the team to go along with Zednik and Mike Ribeiro. THen he could pick one of Markov and Komisarek. I still wouldn't do it from the Habs point of view!
Markov or Komisarek
Ribeiro
Zednik
for
Iginla

I dunno..... I think maybe if it was Hainsey then the Habs would do it, but the other two..... i dunno.

Old
11-04-2003, 07:57 PM
Dr.Strangelove91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Strangelove91
I've heard on TV (110% on TQS) that the journalists; after tonight's game we're talking about a rumor that Gainey would have said to the flames managing staff: "Pick any 3 players, ANY players in the habs organization, except koivu and theodore, and give me Iginla". Of course this doesn't seem like serious stuff, but just for fun, what players (prospects or actual players) would you guys pick outside of Koivu and Theodore, for Iginla if you were Calgary's GM.

My pick would be:

1. Andrei Kastsitsyn
2. Andrei Markov
3. Mike Komisarek
Sorry, I saw another thread with the same topic as mine. Not fast enough. Delete me please.

Old
11-04-2003, 07:57 PM
nucks2001

vCash:
Markov
Zednik
Garon

for
Iginla

if the any 3 players were on the table that is what i'd take
Markov is the PP QB they've been after
Zednik would replace most of Iggys offense (well over half)
Garon is the backup goalie they need

that being said
Markov
Zednik
Komisarek would be interested

Koivu wouldn't be a part though

Old
11-04-2003, 08:00 PM
Whinks

Send a message via AIM to Whinks
Koivu, Komisarek, Kastitsyn

Old
11-04-2003, 08:01 PM
MVP

Can anyone in Montreal confirm this rumor?

Old
11-04-2003, 08:03 PM
Blackjack

1. Zednik
2. Komisarek
3. Perezhogin/Kastsitsyn/Hainsey <--- don't know them too well...

Old
11-04-2003, 08:03 PM
nucks2001

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MVP
a few have on the Habs board so they are just reporting what they heard.. not just a random poster.

Old
11-04-2003, 08:04 PM
Jon Burke

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MVP
I second that request.

Old
11-04-2003, 08:12 PM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

I'd just raid their prospect bin and take the hit for this year. Well except for Markov

1. Markov
2. Kastsitsyn
3. Perezhogin, Higgins(Higgins would make a great linemate for Nystrom) or maybe Komisarek. Calgary already has a great young D, all they need now its the offensive counterparts. Then again, you can never have enough players like Komi

Old
11-04-2003, 08:12 PM
hockey_nut

Gainey isn't a moron... if this is true... I'm sure it's in regards to a package of 3 players (within reason). He won't trade Kast, Markov, Kovu for Iggy...

but it seems like montreal's been talking to calgary for weeks now

Old
11-04-2003, 08:13 PM
RE-HABS

My top 3:

1. Unrealistic Proposal from any GM.
2. The Flames have made the playoffs how many times with Iggy?
3. This is coming from the Montreal Media, so call it BS.

Old
11-04-2003, 08:14 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by nucks2001
a few have on the Habs board so they are just reporting what they heard.. not just a random poster.

i read those too, it sound like 110% is similar to Team1040 in Vancouver, not a very reliable source.

The really big flaw in this deal is what if the Flames ask for Komo, Hainsey and Markov for Iginla? How will that make sense in the Habs point of view. Maybe, Kastsitsyn, Komo and Saku, i think the Habs are overpaying but maybe Gainey really want Iginla.

Old
11-04-2003, 08:17 PM
the-rasta-masta

Send a message via MSN to the-rasta-masta
I'd ask for Komisarek, Markov, and Zednik.

Old
11-04-2003, 08:21 PM
H3ro

Actually, 110% is probably the worst hockey TV program in Quebec ever...

Old
11-04-2003, 08:22 PM
Jon Burke

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RE-HABS
My top 3:

1. Unrealistic Proposal from any GM.
2. The Flames have made the playoffs how many times with Iggy?
3. This is coming from the Montreal Media, so call it BS.
And do the Habs have a player like Iginla who is a leader who works hard and is solid defensively and also can score 40 goals a season?

I didn't think so.

Before you start attacking the Flames team (and note the word team, because Iginla can't get the Flames into the playoffs all by himself), maybe you should look in the mirror as well. The Habs have only made the playoffs once in the past five years with arguably better talent than the Flames.

I don't mean to sound harsh because I don't doubt that you're a reasonable person, but I don't think it's fair to criticize Iginla for the Flames poor play. Hockey is very much a team game. Iginla can't play all 60 minutes of the hockey game, tend goal, play defense, play all three forward positions... Need I go on with this pitiful list? Simply put, Iginla's not to blame for the Flames not making the playoffs for so long, and you shouldn't treat it as such.

Old
11-04-2003, 08:22 PM
Mizral

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey_nut
Gainey isn't a moron...
Debatable.

It would come as a huge surprise to me for Gainey to pick up Iginla in a huge deal, nor would it surprise me for Sutter to deal him. What would surprise me is if Gainey even remotely came close to winning a potential deal for Iginla.

Old
11-04-2003, 08:25 PM
Mizral

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonMacIsaac
Was Gainey part of Dallas when they shipped Iginla to Calgary.
He was the General Manager, yes.

Old
11-04-2003, 08:26 PM
Michalek

Maybe Gainey made offer ( I dont think so)but Im pretty sure that sutter said NO if offer was made

Closed Thread