HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

NJ/PHO idea

Closed Thread

Old
11-05-2003, 09:56 PM
mdhockey211

vCash: 500
NJ/PHO idea

NJ Gets: C Daymon Langkow
D Osi Vaananen

PHO Gets: D David Hale
W Brian Gionta
1st rd pick
C Mike Rupp

Old
11-05-2003, 09:57 PM
Ensane
EL GUAPO

Valuewise I think the Devs get shafted. Drop the 1st rounder and then you might have something.

Old
11-05-2003, 10:17 PM
Burke's Evil Spirit

The Devils do not need Vaananen. He will not receive much ice-time behind Stevens, Niedermayer, Rafalski, and White and his game will suffer (see: Oleg Tverdovsky)

Old
11-05-2003, 10:17 PM
kenabnrmal

I'll be honest and say that I know very little about Hale. I know he's a good defensive prospect. Thats about it. That said, theres nothing much about the deal that intices me from the Yotes POV. I'm not a huge Gionta fan, and with the team being saddled with Savage, I really don't know where he fits in. Rupp's a solid player, but I don't see a spot for him either. Hale? Again, I don't know much about him, but I do know the Yotes don't lack for good young d-men. The 1st is nice, and I can't comment too much on the straight value of the proposal because I don't know too much about Hale. However, there doesn't appear to me to be much of a reason for the Yotes to part with their number one center, and top 3 dmen.

Old
11-05-2003, 10:26 PM
andora

Send a message via MSN to andora
to be honest, imo phoenix gets RIPPED OFF.. phoenix may be rebuilding a smidge, but they aren't going teenager

Old
11-05-2003, 11:56 PM
Ironchef Chris Wok*

Send a message via ICQ to Ironchef Chris Wok*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burke's Evil Spirit
The Devils do not need Vaananen. He will not receive much ice-time behind Stevens, Niedermayer, Rafalski, and White and his game will suffer (see: Oleg Tverdovsky)
When is Stevens retiring anyway? He looks like he's got 2 more years in the tank. AT LEAST.

Old
11-06-2003, 04:51 AM
Missionhockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenabnrmal
I'll be honest and say that I know very little about Hale. I know he's a good defensive prospect. Thats about it. That said, theres nothing much about the deal that intices me from the Yotes POV. I'm not a huge Gionta fan, and with the team being saddled with Savage, I really don't know where he fits in. Rupp's a solid player, but I don't see a spot for him either. Hale? Again, I don't know much about him, but I do know the Yotes don't lack for good young d-men. The 1st is nice, and I can't comment too much on the straight value of the proposal because I don't know too much about Hale. However, there doesn't appear to me to be much of a reason for the Yotes to part with their number one center, and top 3 dmen.
Well I wouldn't support giving him up Gionta either. He might be the hardest worker on the Devils and thats saying a lot.

Hale on the other hand is one of the defensive prospects getting set to replace Stevens. He won't be moved either. Maybe if you replace Hale with Martin.

Old
11-06-2003, 07:07 AM
Bruwinz37

Quote:
Originally Posted by andora's box
to be honest, imo phoenix gets RIPPED OFF.. phoenix may be rebuilding a smidge, but they aren't going teenager
I agree, this is a better trade for the Devs than Phoenix.

Old
11-06-2003, 07:09 AM
Ozy_Flame

No good for Phoenix. That really doesn't help them today. I'd pass, because I know a better offer would come somewhere else.

Old
11-06-2003, 07:33 AM
Missionhockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonMacIsaac
Not really, defense is going to be a weak part in the future for us unless some of our prospects step up.
agreed, its a better idea for the Devils to keep their Defensive prospects and let them develope rather than trading them away. Especially Hale, Martin and DeMarchi.

Old
11-06-2003, 08:19 AM
NJDevils#4
Since 2002, bishes

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdhockey211
D Osi Vaananen

W Brian Gionta
1st rd pick
C Mike Rupp
No thanks.

Old
11-06-2003, 08:57 AM
Burke's Evil Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironchef Chris Wok
When is Stevens retiring anyway? He looks like he's got 2 more years in the tank. AT LEAST.
No kidding. The only way he's retiring after this season is if there's a protracted lock-out and Stevens does not want to work full-time just to stay in game shape for several months.

Old
11-06-2003, 11:19 AM
kenabnrmal

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissionHockey
Well I wouldn't support giving him up Gionta either. He might be the hardest worker on the Devils and thats saying a lot.

Hale on the other hand is one of the defensive prospects getting set to replace Stevens. He won't be moved either. Maybe if you replace Hale with Martin.
Well...well...well...your dog's ugly and your gf is cheating on you...

Seriously though, I never suggested it helped the Devils much. I think they get the better end of it value-wise, but I don't see the holes that Vaananen and Langkow would fill, practically.

The fact that Gionta works hard doesn't impress me too much. He's a good little player, and may break out offensively at some point, but he's 24 and hasn't done much yet to prove that the Coyotes would be better off with him than what they have in the top-6 presently.

Hale sounds pretty highly thought of, but no one's said anything that would suggest to me that the Devils would be worse off with Vaananen than Hale, in the short OR in the long term.

Old
11-06-2003, 12:21 PM
PhoPhan

Big old no from Coyoteland. Really no reason to do it.

Old
11-06-2003, 12:49 PM
kenabnrmal

Quote:
Long term Hale will be the better player bu far.
So he's definitely going to be a great 1st or 2nd d-man? Because Ossi's a proven number 3, so in order for Hale to be better by far, he's going to have to be an all-star. Explain yourself a bit further, what makes him so good? So much better than Vaananen?

Old
11-06-2003, 01:42 PM
Gwyddbwyll

Quote:
Not really, defense is going to be a weak part in the future for us unless some of our prospects step up.
You're giving up one defensive prospect and getting Ossi Vaananen, a NHL Young Stars defensemen, in that deal... how does that weaken your future defense?

Langkow was worth a 1st and 2nd (and that was before he stepped it up another level on the Coyotes.)

Langkow > 1st
Vaananen > Hale

Gionta and Rupp arent special enough for Phoenix to do this.. every team has similar players..

But anyway Hale is one of those prospects you never hear much about but he is supposed to be good so I would like to know more too..

Old
11-06-2003, 02:42 PM
dennisjs

Send a message via AIM to dennisjs Send a message via Yahoo to dennisjs
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdhockey211
D Osi Vaananen

W Brian Gionta
1st rd pick
C Mike Rupp
A second line center and a defenseman they don't need for Hale, Gionta , Rupp and a first round pick? No thank you.

Old
11-06-2003, 03:33 PM
kenabnrmal

Quote:
Hale is not an offensive dmen but he sure as hell is solid defensivly. He is solid as a rock built in the same mold as Stevens. His defensive side of the game is top notch for any prospect, last year for North Dakota he was something like +21 in like 26 games playing with a kidney disorder. He is very dicipline and rarly takes stupid penalties. Doesn't have puck poise though....lol. When all is said and done he should be alot like Foote, a little more offense and a little less defense.

"Skates with a wide stance ... has a powerful stride and very good speed ... is very agile and well-balanced ... carries the puck with confidence and makes hard, crisp passes ... effectively reads the play and has a hard point shot ... an intense, punishing player who can intimidate opponents ... has an excellent work ethic ... needs to play with more poise when moving the puck."

6`2 220
Definitely sounds like a good prospect. Funny thing is, he sounds an awful lot like Vaananen with more aggressiveness. I'll stand by Vaananen not being much of a downgrade.

Old
11-06-2003, 03:55 PM
kenabnrmal

Quote:
I didn't say Vaananen is a downgrade now, I think he is alot better then Hale but Hale is just a rookie and at years end should be equal or better. This deal may help NJ short term but down the road we expect Hale to be a #1 or #2 dmen.
Sorry, I mean't now or in the future. I reason to be optimistic that Hale will be a 1 or 2, and the fact that you expect him to be says a lot towards why you wouldn't want to deal him for Vaananen. I'll stick with Ossi for now.

Old
11-06-2003, 10:37 PM
andora

Send a message via MSN to andora
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenabnrmal
Definitely sounds like a good prospect. Funny thing is, he sounds an awful lot like Vaananen with more aggressiveness. I'll stand by Vaananen not being much of a downgrade.
beat me to it, and i would add that vaananen was/has been compared to pronger, in style/size/early on nhl showings..

IMO he does have all the tools to become a top fleight guy to anchor a corps, mainly physically/defensively/meanly..

Closed Thread