HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Huge Rumor: IGINLA TO Mtl ? (Source)

Closed Thread

Old
11-04-2003, 08:26 PM
hockey_nut

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonMacIsaac
Was Gainey part of Dallas when they shipped Iginla to Calgary.
yup

Old
11-04-2003, 08:29 PM
Jon Burke

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizral
Debatable.
Really? Then, couldn't you debate that any GM in the NHL is a moron, seeing as every GM has made a dumb move? I know that you're an intelligent poster, Mizral, but I don't agree with you here.

Many factors have to go into determining a GM's ability - wins, profits, Cups won, trades made, signings made, other transactions made - not just trades. And Gainey has won plenty with the Stars, including a Stanley Cup. He probably made tons of money for Hicks (but I honestly don't know). He also made intelligent moves such as signing Brett Hull (who scored the Cup winner in '99 for them), getting Darryl Sydor for Shane Churla (at least I think that was the deal), hiring Ken Hitchcock... Need I go on?

I think Gainey is a very good GM who will help turn around the Habs and get them back to the level of performance that is expected in hockey-mad Montreal.

Old
11-04-2003, 08:30 PM
Jeffrey

Send a message via MSN to Jeffrey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danrik
And do the Habs have a player like Iginla who is a leader who works hard and is solid defensively and also can score 40 goals a season?

I didn't think so.

Before you start attacking the Flames team (and note the word team, because Iginla can't get the Flames into the playoffs all by himself), maybe you should look in the mirror as well. The Habs have only made the playoffs once in the past five years with arguably better talent than the Flames.

I don't mean to sound harsh because I don't doubt that you're a reasonable person, but I don't think it's fair to criticize Iginla for the Flames poor play. Hockey is very much a team game. Iginla can't play all 60 minutes of the hockey game, tend goal, play defense, play all three forward positions... Need I go on with this pitiful list? Simply put, Iginla's not to blame for the Flames not making the playoffs for so long, and you shouldn't treat it as such.
yes we have Koivu .... but Iggy won't lead us in the playoff...

Old
11-04-2003, 08:36 PM
loveshack2

Why would The Flames ask for a package of three defensemen when they're already fairly stacked on defense?? I also would doubt that Koivu would be involved in any way since part of the reason Calgary would do this deal is to shed Iginla's high salary. Something like....

To Calgary: Zednik + Markov + Bulis(or another young forward)
To Montreal: Iginla + Ference

might be workable with some tinkering. Ference is only in there to make room for Markov. He could be replaced with another d-man if someone else would be more expendable. Likewise Bulis could be substituted for any of the younger Montreal forwards if someone else would be more desirable.

Old
11-04-2003, 08:37 PM
Kirk Muller

Quote:
And do the Habs have a player like Iginla who is a leader who works hard and is solid defensively and also can score 40 goals a season?

I didn't think so.

Before you start attacking the Flames team (and note the word team, because Iginla can't get the Flames into the playoffs all by himself), maybe you should look in the mirror as well. The Habs have only made the playoffs once in the past five years with arguably better talent than the Flames.

I don't mean to sound harsh because I don't doubt that you're a reasonable person, but I don't think it's fair to criticize Iginla for the Flames poor play. Hockey is very much a team game. Iginla can't play all 60 minutes of the hockey game, tend goal, play defense, play all three forward positions... Need I go on with this pitiful list? Simply put, Iginla's not to blame for the Flames not making the playoffs for so long, and you shouldn't treat it as such.
I might be reading into this differently, but I don't think he was necessarily attacking the Flames, but more so that Montreal is a bad team, much like the team Iginla has been on for the past few seasons, and drawing the conclusion that two equally bad teams with Iginla still don't make the playoffs. Its kind of a lateral move at the present time, and one that would hurt Montreal in the future. This team with Iginla probably wouldn't make the playoffs not even taking into consideration losing anyone off the current roster.

Old
11-04-2003, 08:38 PM
RE-HABS

Quote:

I didn't think so.

I'm not trying to knock Iggy or the Flames, I'm trying to say that one player can't turn it around for you if you don't have the other pieces of the puzzle...both Montreal and Calgary have to know that.

Old
11-04-2003, 08:52 PM
Jon Burke

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RE-HABS
I'm not trying to knock Iggy or the Flames, I'm trying to say that one player can't turn it around for you if you don't have the other pieces of the puzzle...both Montreal and Calgary have to know that.
Of course. I said that one player can't turn the Habs around in my original post (before I got going on what you said) and also that the Habs probably wouldn't do the move because they'd lose some important depth.

I misinterpreted you and I apologize. I tend to be a little hot-headed sometimes.

Old
11-04-2003, 09:14 PM
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVP
i read those too, it sound like 110% is similar to Team1040 in Vancouver, not a very reliable source.
Not very reliable? You might want to stress those words and then add other words like morons, s*** disturbers and sensationalism craving/unprofessional "journalists" to your definition.

TQS, the Network this "show" is on, is the equivalent of FOX in the US. But the show in itself, is even lower than the Network, which I thought was impossible before seeing it.

Credibility level: ZERO

I would be shocked to hear one day anything coming from those clowns even remotely close to reality. They know nothing, yet are trying to start waves of rumors and rants the size of a Tsunami every night. Why that... thing... is still on TV, is beyond me.

Old
11-04-2003, 09:55 PM
KOMO_ROCKS

Send a message via ICQ to KOMO_ROCKS
Quote:
Originally Posted by MVP
Can anyone in Montreal confirm this rumor?
doubt it....the Habs and Flames dont make very good trading partners in my mind anyways

Old
11-04-2003, 10:03 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchausen
Not very reliable? You might want to stress those words and then add other words like morons, s*** disturbers and sensationalism craving/unprofessional "journalists" to your definition.

TQS, the Network this "show" is on, is the equivalent of FOX in the US. But the show in itself, is even lower than the Network, which I thought was impossible before seeing it.

Credibility level: ZERO

I would be shocked to hear one day anything coming from those clowns even remotely close to reality. They know nothing, yet are trying to start waves of rumors and rants the size of a Tsunami every night. Why that... thing... is still on TV, is beyond me.

Haha, thank you for cleaning that up for me. i would not be surprise to see the Habs pull off some type of move in term of a coaching change or a trade etc......... but the Iginla rumor does not make a lot of sense as it is reported right now. I guess the local Montreal media is in full panic mode right now.

Old
11-04-2003, 10:06 PM
FF de Mars

We would need to sell the farm in order to get Iginla. That would be a very short sighted move. Kats + Komi + Markov/Zed I mean WOW, that's too much. By doing so we kill our future, and we add a very expensive player to the roster. And Iggy wouldn't guaranty us the playoffs...

If BG gets into a panic mode, I'd like the Jagr deal better. Koivu won't be there forever and he he's injuried all the time. Plz, don't get emotional with Koivu, plz : Hockey has become a business. And don't tell me you would have Koivu over Jagr... that's not being realistic. Brisebois is dead wood worth 3M dollars.

Getting Jagr (if the trade is a realistic one) wouldn't cost us our future. It would place us in a better position to make the playoffs and it would make everybody happy in the crowd.

Old
11-04-2003, 10:07 PM
KOMO_ROCKS

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVP
i read those too, it sound like 110% is similar to Team1040 in Vancouver, not a very reliable source.

The really big flaw in this deal is what if the Flames ask for Komo, Hainsey and Markov for Iginla? How will that make sense in the Habs point of view. Maybe, Kastsitsyn, Komo and Saku, i think the Habs are overpaying but maybe Gainey really want Iginla.
Yeah, I highly doubt the habs would trade the 3 blue chip d-men for the future in Markov, Komo and Hainsey. Perhaps it would be something like Komo/Hainsey + Zednik/Ryder + Hossa/Higgins.....but again I think the habs are giving up too much, especially the future. I doubt Gainey will overpay big time to get Iggy...the habs are not even a contender or 1 player away from being a contender

Old
11-04-2003, 10:10 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by KOMO_ROCKS
Yeah, I highly doubt the habs would trade the 3 blue chip d-men for the future in Markov, Komo and Hainsey. Perhaps it would be something like Komo/Hainsey + Zednik/Ryder + Hossa/Higgins.....but again I think the habs are giving up too much, especially the future. I doubt Gainey will overpay big time to get Iggy...the habs are not even a contender or 1 player away from being a contender

i agree, even if BG thinks he really need to improve the team to a level where it is a playoff team, i think the Jagr rumor as reported earlier make more sense for the Habs.

Old
11-04-2003, 10:11 PM
KOMO_ROCKS

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVP
Haha, thank you for cleaning that up for me. i would not be surprise to see the Habs pull off some type of move in term of a coaching change or a trade etc......... but the Iginla rumor does not make a lot of sense as it is reported right now. I guess the local Montreal media is in full panic mode right now.
Yeah, I can see other teams like Philly, Toronto and Colorado making a big pitch for Iginla if he is available. Sure the habs would be interested in Iggy like any other team, but they dont have what it takes to get him or they have what it takes and would be overpaying and sacrificing their future

Old
11-04-2003, 10:14 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey_nut
Gainey isn't a moron... if this is true... I'm sure it's in regards to a package of 3 players (within reason). He won't trade Kast, Markov, Kovu for Iggy...

but it seems like montreal's been talking to calgary for weeks now
Didn't Gainey trade Iggy to Calgary?

Old
11-04-2003, 10:16 PM
MVP

Quote:
Yeah, I can see other teams like Philly, Toronto and Colorado making a big pitch for Iginla if he is available. Sure the habs would be interested in Iggy like any other team, but they dont have what it takes to get him or they have what it takes and would be overpaying and sacrificing their future

If the report is anything close to the true, that it would seem like Gainey is really trying to get Iginla, rather than the Flames putting Iginla on the open market. Therefore, i don't see any of the Flyers, Toronto or the Avs as much of a possibility right now, since they have bigger problem than offence right now especailly at the type of trade value than Iginla has. On the other hand, in the case of Clarke, who knows what he will do, he is totally unpredictable.

Old
11-04-2003, 10:17 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand
Didn't Gainey trade Iggy to Calgary?

Ya, and deliver the Cup to Dallas in the process.

Old
11-04-2003, 10:17 PM
KOMO_ROCKS

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVP
i agree, even if BG thinks he really need to improve the team to a level where it is a playoff team, i think the Jagr rumor as reported earlier make more sense for the Habs.
I doubt Gainey wants Jagr at the price he will command at 11 mil per season either.....at least I hope not. The habs need players who play with talent for sure, but some more grit would not hurt either as far as top 2 line players

Old
11-04-2003, 10:24 PM
KOMO_ROCKS

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVP
If the report is anything close to the true, that it would seem like Gainey is really trying to get Iginla, rather than the Flames putting Iginla on the open market. Therefore, i don't see any of the Flyers, Toronto or the Avs as much of a possibility right now, since they have bigger problem than offence right now especailly at the type of trade value than Iginla has. On the other hand, in the case of Clarke, who knows what he will do, he is totally unpredictable.
I do see Gainey making some changes in Montreal soon, and that may probably even mean seeing a younger player or 2 being traded to bring in a top 2 line player to help in the offense department. I doubt the report is true anyways...Gainey and his collegues are pretty quiet behind closed doors and he does not really make it easy to predict trades that he will make, based on previous history

Old
11-04-2003, 10:28 PM
MVP

Quote:
I do see Gainey making some changes in Montreal soon, and that may probably even mean seeing a younger player or 2 being traded to bring in a top 2 line player to help in the offense department. I doubt the report is true anyways...Gainey and his collegues are pretty quiet behind closed doors and he does not really make it easy to predict trades that he will make, based on previous history

It might not be Iginla and Jagr, but Caps and Flames are two teams that are looking to make change, so logically they would be a good trade partner with the Habs.

Old
11-04-2003, 10:28 PM
KOMO_ROCKS

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVP
Ya, and deliver the Cup to Dallas in the process.
Newy sure helped....Conn Smyth winnner for the Stars in 99 when they won the cup

Great job Bob Gainey

Old
11-04-2003, 10:32 PM
KOMO_ROCKS

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVP
It might not be Iginla and Jagr, but Caps and Flames are two teams that are looking to make change, so logically they would be a good trade partner with the Habs.
I doubt Iggy or Jagr will be coming to Montreal, you never know. The Caps will be pretty active in the soon to be fire-sale of their club I would imagine....they are dropping a ton of games early in the season

Old
11-04-2003, 10:54 PM
Habsolution

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVP

Old
11-04-2003, 10:55 PM
Shin Pad

First off, why would the Flames want a bunch of D men back for Iggy? The only way Iggy gets traded is for some offence in return. The Flames don't need to upgrade the Defense at this time - they need some goal scorers. If they get rid of their best offensive weapon, they need offense back - plain and simple.

That being said, I wouldn't doubt if Gainey and Sutter are talking, but I'll bet the talks aren't centred around Iginla. I'll bet Sutter and Gainey are trying to work out a deal that would send Gauthier to Montreal. I'm not sure who the Flames would get in return.

Old
11-05-2003, 03:22 AM
yucatan99

Ingila to MTL ?

Trade rumors from Mtl Radio Team 990 and CKAC.

To MTL:
- Ingila
- Gauthier

To Calgary:

- Hossa
- Markov
- Zednick
- Draft choice.

Closed Thread