HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Huge Rumor: IGINLA TO Mtl ? (Source)

Closed Thread

Old
11-06-2003, 10:06 AM
Lanny MacDonald*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger Bob
Aren't you being a little harsh on Koivu, Lanny? The guy faced down cancer. Then, he returned to prepare himself for playoff action, long before any oncologist would've recommended. It speaks volumes about his character and commitment.
Okay, I'll play the cold insensitive *******. Saku Koivu got over his cancer. Good for him. Doesn't make him any more attractive. That's doesn't increase his trade value either. In fact it drives it further into the toilet IMO. The potential is there for it to return. I'm not going to trade my franchise player for a guy who might just end up being lost for the season because he gets sick again. As harsh as that sounds, its the god's honest truth. I wouldn't touch Koivu with a 100' pole. He's injury prone, doesn't produce like I would expect, and he's had cancer, which could crop up again. Sorry, too many worries with the guy. I don't care if he can do all the characters from the muppet show, character doesn't win you hockey games, players in uniform do.

Old
11-06-2003, 10:09 AM
fredez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danrik
I don't know much about your source - whether it's reliable or not - but I'm willing to bet that the Flames would want a great deal in return for Jarome Iginla - probably more than the Habs are willing to give up.

Iggy is their captain and best player. He is gritty, hard-working and solid defensively. He's maybe one of the best all-around forwards in the NHL, and to think that the Flames will move him is dubious at best. The Flames, IMO, need a superstar like Iggy to draw fans out to their games. Otherwise they might lose fans. At least, I'd guess that they would.

That said, the Habs do have some interesting things to offer. Guys like Garon, Komarisek, Zednik, Souray or any of the Habs bluechip prospects might get Sutter's interest, but the question is, will the Habs be willing to surrender the players or prospects it would take to get Iginla? Your source claims it to be so, but as I said, I know nothing about the source and it's reliability, so I'll just go on what I know. I know that Gainey has yet to make a significant trade in his tenure with the Habs. I also know that Montreal is off to a solid 6-6 start. I also know that the Habs have many holes in their lineup - a lack of size and grit among both the forwards and defense and a lack of scoring among the forwards being the main ones - that would just be magnified if they gutted their depth to try and get a player like Iginla.

As good as Iggy is (and I'm sure that the Habs would love to have him - heck, who wouldn't?), it sometimes is better to have a team of lesser-known players than a superstar and a bunch of crummy players. Not insulting the Habs, just saying that teams aren't just about the superstars. Every player is important to a team, and depth is perhaps more important than having a superstar. That's why I think that the Habs would not do this, besides the fact that they'd probably consider the asking price to be unreasonable.

And the Flames probably don't want to move their captain and superstar, who is key to selling tickets to games.

It just doesn't add up, although I wouldn't ever rule out the possibility of some sort of a trade happening between these two teams.
They want to trade him cause apparently they wont be able to pay him by the end of the year

Old
11-06-2003, 10:34 AM
Lanny MacDonald*

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredez
They want to trade him cause apparently they wont be able to pay him by the end of the year
Do you have anything to prove that outlandish claim? Considering the money has been budgeted for two years I doubt there is a challenge to pay Iginla's contract, especially with the strengthening dollar.

Old
11-06-2003, 10:58 AM
Bob Bastards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komisarek8
I was watching 110% ...TQS
...and one of the guy say he saw the Sasquatch on Ste-Catherine street. I am pretty sure its true since its on TV...

[Can you see the irony here...]

Old
11-06-2003, 11:01 AM
Lambert Closse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger Bob
Sure is, but some posters think that it improves their status, in the HF community, by starting a new thread.
Plus RAmbo hab been known to start thread with CKAC and Team990 as source that no one heard on the same station.

Old
11-06-2003, 11:27 AM
doc lafleur

This deal won't go down
1- BG will wait a while longer before he pulls any deal.

2-Zednik could go with a veteran, but not with any youth.

3- Even with those 2 guy's, the team would still in the same boat they are now.

4- Hab fan's must be patient, the season will be quite the roller-coaster, BG will not trade any prospects.

5- If they trade prospects, it will be low level ( Thinel, Beauchemin, Marois}

Old
11-06-2003, 12:45 PM
gohabsgo2010

Send a message via AIM to gohabsgo2010
Well, this rumour has made it to Spector's.

That doesn't give it any more credibility, though. I'm sure general managers discuss deals every day, it's just that some happen to creep out.

Gainey's not shy about making a big trade, but how many reported rumours come true?

Old
11-06-2003, 02:39 PM
Super-Rye

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredez
And Montreal can? Calgary can pay him, mabey move a McAmmond or Gauthier at the trade dead-line if your out of the playoffs to free up space, but with Turek's insurance kicking in soon, Gelinas' pay cut for next season, and Werenka's contract FINALLY expiring, Calgary can afford Iggy, expecially since he's an RFA next summer. But 1 quick question, why could Calgary trade their Captain?

Old
11-06-2003, 03:15 PM
Bicycle Repairman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super-Rye
but with Turek's insurance kicking in soon
Well Dr. Super-Rye, glad you've made a long-term diagnosis. You know for a fact Turek will be gone for the season?

Old
11-06-2003, 03:23 PM
Michalek

CGY will likely be able to afford Iginla next season.
warenka 1.5mln up ,Buzek 800k up ,Gelinas 800k pay cut ,McAmmond 1.5mln and Conroy 2.2mln UFAs

So looks like flames arent in hurry to move Jarome. They might trade him ,but it would take way more then offered by Habs fans.

Old
11-06-2003, 05:47 PM
Jeffrey

Send a message via MSN to Jeffrey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michalek
CGY will likely be able to afford Iginla next season.
warenka 1.5mln up ,Buzek 800k up ,Gelinas 800k pay cut ,McAmmond 1.5mln and Conroy 2.2mln UFAs

So looks like flames arent in hurry to move Jarome. They might trade him ,but it would take way more then offered by Habs fans.
more than... Komisarek,Zednik and Markov... good luck..

Old
11-06-2003, 07:00 PM
Michalek

Oh ,you didnt got my point . Moving Iginla for 2D ( no matter how good) and 1F doesnt make sence for CGY at all. I think that If Flames would trade Iginla they would need at least 2/3 of scoring line back ( proven scoring line , Hossa isnt proven)
now:

Komisarek====== Phenauf. Do we need 2 of them in the system???
Zednik - nice player ,but more likely 2nd liner on a good team
Markov -obviously very talanted kid , but again ,would he improve Flames that much.

those are nice players ,but are they adressing Flames neds? and is it worth to gave up Jarome for them?

Flames are set at D for next 10 years ; Phenauf 19 ,Ramholt1 9, Leopold 23 ,Regehr 23, Ferrance 24 ,Montador 24, Commodore 24, Lydman 26 ,Warrener 27 ,Gauthier 27- this is huge pile of D...

Old
11-06-2003, 07:09 PM
SpezNc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michalek
Oh ,you didnt got my point . Moving Iginla for 2D ( no matter how good) and 1F doesnt make sence for CGY at all. I think that If Flames would trade Iginla they would need at least 2/3 of scoring line back ( proven scoring line , Hossa isnt proven)
now:

Komisarek====== Phenauf. Do we need 2 of them in the system???
Zednik - nice player ,but more likely 2nd liner on a good team
Markov -obviously very talanted kid , but again ,would he improve Flames that much.

those are nice players ,but are they adressing Flames neds? and is it worth to gave up Jarome for them?

Flames are set at D for next 10 years ; Phenauf 19 ,Ramholt1 9, Leopold 23 ,Regehr 23, Ferrance 24 ,Montador 24, Commodore 24, Lydman 26 ,Warrener 27 ,Gauthier 27- this is huge pile of D...
But after, you can trade Komisarek.....

Gainey isn't going to trade Komi unless he get a HUGE player in return (like Iggy).....

So he we give to you a Komi. Easily you can move him after for a top 6 forward..

Calgary with two forward + a great an offensive D-man + a pick for Iggy, Calgary is a better team..

And for us, we are getting the natural scorer that we wait for so long..

But the trade isn't going to happens

Old
11-06-2003, 07:18 PM
HockeyBestFan

To Calgary: Zednik, Bulis, Markov, 2 x 1er round pick

TO Montreal: Iginla and Robyn Regehr

I think the deal will be nice for both team... Flames get 2 good forwards and 1 defensemen that can score 50 pts soon. Also, they receive 2 firsts round pick in 2004 and 2005

Old
11-06-2003, 07:53 PM
FLAMING C

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBestFan

I think the deal will be nice for both team... Flames get 2 good forwards and 1 defensemen that can score 50 pts soon. Also, they receive 2 firsts round pick in 2004 and 2005

Noch chance on you getting Robyn he our best d man Sutter locked him for five years not a prayer on getting him.

Old
11-06-2003, 08:09 PM
Kirk Muller

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAMING C
Noch chance on you getting Robyn he our best d man Sutter locked him for five years not a prayer on getting him.
I agree, and there is just as little chance that Montreal, at this juncture, would ever give up 2 first round draft picks in succeeding years.

Old
11-06-2003, 08:24 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBestFan

Yeah, trade looks great if you are a Habs fan.
Iginla is head and shoulders better than Zednik.
Regehr and Markov could equate each other out. Bulis is just a throw in who won't balance out the deal, and the draft picks don't help the Flames now.

I would think the Flames could use Garon. Add in Zednik who is the best wing the Habs have to offer.
Since the Flames would be dealing the best player in this trade, they could also command a decent youngster in the deal as well such as Ribiero or Hossa and maybe perhaps one of the Habs top youngsters... Perezhogin or Kastitsyn.

Garon, Zednik, Ribiero or Hossa and Perezhogin or Kastitsyn
for
Iginla

That seems an awful lot to give up but I would think that is how much the Flames value Iginla who is the team leader and their force on offense.

The Flames also take a gamble in hoping that Garon could succeed Turek as the #1 netminder. Zednik will fill in for Iginla's scoring (although will not match up to it).
Ribiero or Hossa balance out the trade, as you have to sweeten the pot to acquire a Jarome Iginla and the Flames could use the added youth.
Adding one of Perezhogin or Kastitsyn, who aren't NHL ready, is even more insentive to convince the Flames to move Iginla.

Maybe the Flames will have to add other assets to the deal, but I would think something along those lines is the most suitable and sensible move. It's a win-win situation for both parties as the Habs finally acquire a sniper to play with Koivu who could score 40-50+ goals.

They will still end up keeping one of Ribiero or Hossa or Perezhogin or Kastitsyn, and they still retain their two gems on the blueline, Komisarek and Hainsey. Not to mention they also have Balej, Plekanek, Higgins who are nice prospects and a couple of other youngsters on the team with Ward and Ryder.

I'm not a fan of the Habs or Flames... so you can't blame me for taking sides! Bwahahahahaha!

Old
11-06-2003, 08:28 PM
Jeffrey

Send a message via MSN to Jeffrey
we won't trade our future..

Closed Thread