HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Garon had a very Salo like game...

Closed Thread

Old
11-05-2003, 05:03 AM
dawgbone

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Garon had a very Salo like game...

He only faced 17 shots, and of course, that is what everyone looks at...

But on all 4 Oiler goals, the guy who scored it was completely wide-open and untouched.

I hope the Oilers got a good look and realized how easy it is to score when there isn't anyone close to you, because Montreal's defensive zone coverage looked a lot like Edmonton's has this year.

Old
11-05-2003, 06:24 AM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone
He only faced 17 shots, and of course, that is what everyone looks at...

But on all 4 Oiler goals, the guy who scored it was completely wide-open and untouched.

I hope the Oilers got a good look and realized how easy it is to score when there isn't anyone close to you, because Montreal's defensive zone coverage looked a lot like Edmonton's has this year.
Exactly! It was like numerous Oiler games with minimal shots, but optimal point blank scoring chances.

Old
11-05-2003, 07:03 AM
LawnDemon

garon was down too early and played poor positional hockey all night. yes, the oilers had solid chances on him... chances improved by the fact that he was not "on his game".

salo, on the other hand, played a solid positional game and CREATED chances to make a save where he would have had no chance in previous games.

you play goal - so you should be able to admit that when you are off your game you end up out of position or down too early thus creating opportunities that would not be there if you were on your game. last night garon was off and his poor play hepled to create chances for the oilers... salo was on and his solid play helped to take chances away from the habs.

here's to hoping that salo can stay "on" because he's tremendous when he is.

Old
11-05-2003, 07:17 AM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
I will be the first to admit that I didn't watch the game... I did listen to it, and I have seen the replays.

Almost every goal Montreal gave up, could have been prevented if all 5 habs players didn't lose their man. All it takes is someone to change the shot a little bit, and it makes all the difference in the world.

As for Salo's game, I was only able to see a couple of replays on saves, but there is one thing I would like to point out... with the game 4-2 Salo makes a save on a Juneau one-timer, and it is classified as a big save... well, IMO, that is actually a pretty routine save, and here is why... On a one-timer, you tend to sacrifice accuracy with speed and sometimes power. It is ideal for a goaltender coming across the net because you want to get it off as quickly as possible. Now, the save Salo made on Juneau was fairly routine, because he was moving out, not across and that is a far easier save to make. Also, there was an Oiler player coming hard after Juneau, which probably forced a shot Juneau probably would have rather not taken.

IMO, that was an easier save than the Oilers play has previously been forcing him to make. A goalie will take a hurried shot, especially when you are coming out on the shooter, over a guy with time alone in front of the net anytime.

Old
11-05-2003, 07:26 AM
LawnDemon

although you do have a good point about a better "all around" game by the oilers i think you kind of dodged the point about goalies creating opportunities to make saves...

i will empahtically agree that your team helps you to help yourself. i bought the game last night and will suggest that the oilers did have decent pressure on the habs all night. however, they also had a couple breakdowns and, this time, salo was in good position to make the save. those saves were ALL salo and would have been goals in the previous 5 games.

it's a two way street dawgbone. it is no more rational to put ALL the blame on the defense anymore than it is for posters to put ALL the blame on salo. both have been very bad. last night, both were above average (not great, but good). it's important to remember that the team can not win (consistently) unless all the pieces are performing.

confidence breeds confidence.

let's hope in continues.

Closed Thread