HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Team 990 + Koivu + Michel Bergeron

Closed Thread

Old
05-28-2006, 12:31 AM
znk

vCash: 500
Team 990 + Koivu + Michel Bergeron

I was gona post this the other day but I forgot. I was listening to Melnik's show and at 5:10 pm it went somethign like this..."Ok I'm gona start something here." then he said "Michel Bergeron can kiss Saku Koivu's ***!"
"We are going to reserve time for some sponsors at 5:10 pm everyday and it's going to be 'Michel Bergeron can kiss Saku Koivu's ***! brought to you by...' and then we run your add. So if you are interested contact us....I think it's something I would want to be associated with."

anyway...I thought it was great! I hope they really do it.

Old
05-28-2006, 12:44 AM
Beatnik

Send a message via MSN to Beatnik
Considering that Saku's career could be over, it's really classless from that idiot to use him for promotions.

Specially that it was clear in his interview that Saku does'nt approve the stupid language war that Melnik and PJ are trying to start.

Old
05-28-2006, 12:50 AM
znk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatnik
Considering that Saku's career could be over, it's really classless from that idiot to use him for promotions.

Specially that it was clear in his interview that Saku does'nt approve the stupid language war that Melnik and PJ are trying to start.

I think you dont get the point.
And Melnik and PJ arent the ones who started the war. It's those idiots at 110% who say everything Saku does is crap. It pisses me off to the highest level and I'm glad someone from the media has the guts to call out Bergeron for the clown he is.

Old
05-28-2006, 01:04 AM
Beatnik

Quote:
Originally Posted by znk
And Melnik and PJ arent the ones who started the war. It's those idiots at 110% who say everything Saku does is crap. It pisses me off to the highest level and I'm glad someone from the media has the guts to call out Bergeron for the clown he is.

This question have a much bigger place in the english medias. In one interview PJ asked more questions to Saku about it than every french medias put together did during the last 4-5 years. I only remember one actually.

It's the same situation on here. It's about the #1587 thread that have no other purpose than bashing the french medias. While I don't remember one dedicated to bash Koivu for not speaking french.

Old
05-28-2006, 01:15 AM
znk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatnik
This question have a much bigger place in the english medias. In one interview PJ asked more questions to Saku about it than every french medias put together did during the last 4-5 years. I only remember one actually.

It's the same situation on here. It's about the #1587 thread that have no other purpose than bashing the french medias. While I don't remember one dedicated to bash Koivu for not speaking french.
Seriously dude..about half the 110% shows were about that. Also after the habs were eliminated Koivu gave a press conference to update the situation on his eye. Everyone asks questions about how the feels...how is eye is reacting...what is expected to happen...then this french media guy asks..."why dont you speak french?". Great timing. Durring the last stretch of the season Habs had a low point. At the end of the Practice Koivu gathers the team and gives a small pep talk....reaction of the french media led by Bergeron. "Koivu is just doing that to look good to the media." That's just sad.

Old
05-28-2006, 01:16 AM
CaptCrunch

Quote:
Originally Posted by znk
To my knowledge, Bergeron has spent more time in the NHL than Melnik has.

Yes he sometimes has a "backward" view of things but Don Cherry's the same and I don't see much complaints in these parts.

You have to learn to take and leave things.

I'm not targeting you Znd (I actually understand where you are comming from), but for Melnik to take this so much to heart only makes him stupid in my book.

I understand Koivu is currently a big part in the Canadiens organisation and I can relate to the many Habs fans who cannot find fault with this guys.

However (and I know I'm going to get flamed for this), I believe Koivu is not a franchise player.

He is not Gretzky, he is not Lemieux, he is not Orr, he is not Beliveau, he is not Lafleur.

I do not believe he has the leadership of a Sakic, a Yzerman, a Messier, a Howe.

He should not be above critique.

All in all, I agree that he has mostly given his all to the organisation.

He will always have his followers and detractors.

I prefer to have both of them in the open and discussing than to have a single, repetitive, unilateral discussion going on.

Lets face it: we have had for 10 years an underperforming organisation often divided and lacking finish. We were nowhere close to Detroit, Colorado or New Jersey.

Like it or not, Koivu has been captain of this team. He was often a positive light in these dark times but he never led his team near the cup.

He should be given good props for his efforts on the ice, which I think he had, but he should not, in my opinion, be given a blank check.

Flame away!

Last edited by CaptCrunch: 05-28-2006 at 01:23 AM.
Old
05-28-2006, 01:21 AM
CaptCrunch

Quote:
Originally Posted by znk
Seriously dude..about half the 110% shows were about that. Also after the habs were eliminated Koivu gave a press conference to update the situation on his eye. Everyone asks questions about how the feels...how is eye is reacting...what is expected to happen...then this french media guy asks..."why dont you speak french?".
That wasn't 110%, that wasn't even a beat journalist. It was a nobody sent on a mission to get a story.

Most of the french media was as mad as everyone about that incident.

However, its CJAD and some members of the english press that used the moron to get back at their french equivalent.

They put the french media in a bundle and tried to get a story out of that too.

One way or the other lacks class.

Old
05-28-2006, 01:26 AM
znk

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptCrunch
That wasn't 110%, that wasn't even a beat journalist. It was a nobody sent on a mission to get a story.

Most of the french media was as mad as everyone about that incident.

However, its CJAD and some members of the english press that used the moron to get back at their french equivalent.

They put the french media in a bundle and tried to get a story out of that too.

One way or the other lacks class.
Man...I just dont know what to say....here...go take a look at this.... Maybe it will open your eyes a little. http://www.chfans.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=12969

It's also Rinfret who said on 110% " Koivu est le joueur le plus sur evaluer de l'histoire du Canadien de Montreal"
Translation... "Koivu is the most over rated player in Montreal Canadiens history".

Pierre Rinfret and Michel Bergeron have had an agenda against Koivu all year long and it started at training camp when bergeron said Ribeiro was the better center and we should get rid of Koivu.

Last edited by znk: 05-28-2006 at 01:39 AM.
Old
05-28-2006, 01:38 AM
Beatnik

Quote:
Originally Posted by znk
Man...I just dont know what to say....here...go take a look at this.... Maybe it will open your eyes a little. http://www.chfans.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=12969

Pierre Rinfret and Michel Bergeron have had an agenda against Koivu all year long and it started at training camp when bergeron said Ribeiro was the better center and we should get rid of Koivu.
As CC said, the guy was'nt even a member of the usual media and he only asked ONE question about it. PJ asked THREE!!!

The french medias don't have more an agenda agains Koivu than the english medias have agains Ribeiro and other french guys (specially Brisebois in the past). And again, the language question is much more discussed in the english medias.

I don't see why you and others feel the needs to vomit on the french medias all the time. Buy a remote.

Old
05-28-2006, 01:41 AM
znk

So you agree with Rinfret saying that Koivu is the most over rated player in Habs history? And you agree with Bergeron questionning Koivu's integrity when he had the team pep talk..not for the team..but for his public image?

Old
05-28-2006, 01:51 AM
CaptCrunch

Quote:
Originally Posted by znk

It was actually an excellent text and it made a number of interesting points.

I guess I just have trouble dealing with opinions too far on one side or another.

I have the manic tendency to play the Devil's advocate.

Trust me, I could easilly argue that Koivu one heck of a Captain, but since it seems so many guys are doing that for me...

Honesty, it feels so often like a goddamned bandwagon that I cannot watch it go past without it ruffling my feathers (so to speak).

I just feel a lot of things are bunched together, positions seems to get radicalized in black and white... it just doesn't feel healthy.

There needs to be room for debate.

Even Koivu himself on PJ's show seemed to agree that the french factor was important... until PJ cut him, of course.

And repeating the story of french guys, europeans and english guys at the same restaurant not eating at the same table.

Well, to me, this story sounds more like a lack of the core group to take up the mantle of leadership than an inherent difficulty to "merge" different interests.

Then again, I might be in error.

I just feel we are being content with so little these days.

Having an ok captain, an ok team, promising prospects, making the playoffs...

Those who dare critique any little shred of what might be a positive to this horrror story are suddenly monsters.

I don't know... it just doesn't feel right.

Last edited by CaptCrunch: 05-28-2006 at 01:57 AM.
Old
05-28-2006, 02:03 AM
znk

Quote:
It was actually an excellent text and it made a number of interesting points.

I guess I just have trouble dealing with opinions too far on one side or another.

I have the manic tendency to play the Devil's advocate.

Trust me, I could easilly argue that Koivu one heck of a Captain, but since it seems so many guys are doing that for me...

Honesty, it feels so often like a goddamned bandwagon that I cannot watch it go past without it ruffling my feathers (so to speak).

I just feel a lot of things are bunched together, positions seems to get radicalized in black and white... it just doesn't feel healthy.

There needs to be room for debate.

Even Koivu himself on PJ's show seemed to agree that the french factor was important... until PJ cut him, of course.

And repeating the story of french guys, europeans and english guys at the same restaurant not eating at the same table.

Well, to me, this story sounds more like a lack of the core group to take up the mantle of leadership than an inherent difficulty to "merge" different interests.

Then again, I might be in error.

I just feel we are being content with so little these days.

Having an ok captain, an ok team, promising prospects, making the playoffs...

Those who dare critique any little shred of what might be a positive to this horrror story are suddenly monsters.

I don't know... it doesn't feel right.

Anyway...if ppl want to give Begin or who ever the C because they are french and they think it will make this team better...go ahead.
But that's not the point here. It's that in the french Media there is this gagn(mostly those from 110% and CKAC) who say negative things about Saku at every opportunity and there is no one to defend him. If guys like Bergeron and Rinfret said "he needs to learn french" and then moved along and appeared relativly objective in their other comments about Koivu there would be no issue here.
Bergeron hates Europeans one of his memorable quotes in training camp..."Markov has the worst hockey sense in the NHL". I just hate it when I see ppl complain about Don Cherry then turn arround and agree with some of the weird stuff that comes out of Bergeron's mouth. At least there is François Gagnon and some others who are so much more objective and respectfull. I lost all respect for Bergeron the day he said Koivu had the on ice meeting with the team for his personal image.

Old
05-28-2006, 02:14 AM
Beatnik

Quote:
Originally Posted by znk
So you agree with Rinfret saying that Koivu is the most over rated player in Habs history? And you agree with Bergeron questionning Koivu's integrity when he had the team pep talk..not for the team..but for his public image?
No, but it's not the question. I don't think you agree with everything Melnik, Hickey, Stock and others are saying.

Instead of whining about the french medias, you should whine about those who force you to watch 110% every night. It's a crappy show, you should have the right to change the channel!

Old
05-28-2006, 02:18 AM
CaptCrunch

Quote:
Originally Posted by znk
Its not that we agree to everything that they are saying.

Its just that some of us might feel like there is still space for some people to think Koivu is overrated or that Koivu is a selfish.

Just as there is space for some to think that Koivu is a star player and that he is one of the most underrated leader in the NHL.

Some might say that he never scored more than 21 goals, some might say that he rarely played a full season so we can't judge.

Some might say that he had 70 pts this season, other will say that Ribeiro, a player with questionable work habits, succeeded in having 65 pts last season.

Some will mention that Koivu never had quality linemates, other will mention that maybe its Koivu that's not a 1st line center.

Some will point to the fact that he is Captain of Finland's national team as a proof that he is a great leader, other will mention the fight he had with teammates and the rumors that he sulked when he wasn't playing with xyz guy.

Others will still tell us to look at Koivu's Olympic play as an indicator of his talent, but some will point out that he did not have the same drive coming back.

He was tired! tells us journalist A

Look at Selanne, HE doesn't seem that tired! will reply journalist B.

You see, its a discussion.

Some people do not see eye to eye, so they discuss (sometimes loudly).

I happen to find it interesting.

But to bunch every participants of the discussion together, labelling them "french media" and pulling out the worse opinions from 2 guys as proof of a "conspiracy", to me, is a little far fetched.

I might find Pat Hickey and Don Cherry stupid on occasions but I won't label them "english media" because I respect other guys like Stephen Brunt and Red Fisher.

Old
05-28-2006, 02:23 AM
Beatnik

Quote:
Originally Posted by znk
But that's not the point here. It's that in the french Media there is this gagn(mostly those from 110% and CKAC) who say negative things about Saku at every opportunity and there is no one to defend him. If guys like Bergeron and Rinfret said "he needs to learn french" and then moved along and appeared relativly objective in their other comments about Koivu there would be no issue here.
It's not different from the guys in The Gazette, CJAD and team 990 always attacking the french guys (Ribeiro, Théo, Brisebois etc) and having an obsession with the language question. Every teams have bad journalists, the Habs just happen to have some in both language.

Old
05-28-2006, 09:16 AM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:

Yes he sometimes has a "backward" view of things but Don Cherry's the same and I don't see much complaints in these parts.

I'm not targeting you Znd (I actually understand where you are comming from), but for Melnik to take this so much to heart only makes him stupid in my book.

I understand Koivu is currently a big part in the Canadiens organisation and I can relate to the many Habs fans who cannot find fault with this guys.

However (and I know I'm going to get flamed for this), I believe Koivu is not a franchise player.

He is not Gretzky, he is not Lemieux, he is not Orr, he is not Beliveau, he is not Lafleur.

I do not believe he has the leadership of a Sakic, a Yzerman, a Messier, a Howe.

I prefer to have both of them in the open and discussing than to have a single, repetitive, unilateral discussion going on.

Lets face it: we have had for 10 years an underperforming organisation often divided and lacking finish. We were nowhere close to Detroit, Colorado or New Jersey.

Like it or not, Koivu has been captain of this team. He was often a positive light in these dark times but he never led his team near the cup.

He should be given good props for his efforts on the ice, which I think he had, but he should not, in my opinion, be given a blank check.

Flame away!
I don't intend to flame away. I want to persuade you in straightforward language that your argument can't hold up. The trouble with it is that in the 10 years Koivu played with the Habs the team was never nearly good enough to make a real run at the Cup. I looked at the teams that won it, such as the Red Wings, Avalanche, Stars, and Devils, and I couldn't imagine the Habs defeating them. Do you think the Habs were even close to their level? If not, then how could Koivu possibly have changed things?

Old
05-28-2006, 09:29 AM
Habs Icing
Formerly Onice

Quote:

Flame away!

I'll try not to flame you but I think you have your head stuck in a very very dark place where no light shines - an ostrich hole.

Keane was hounded out of Montreal because he didn't speak French.

You mention that the last 10 years Koivu didn't lead his team to anything. I guess if he spoke French they would win - right?

If you take a look at the last 10 years management and coaching was mostly French Canadian - did that help the Habs win anything.

G.M. S. Savard, Houle, A. Savard

Coaches: Tremblay, Vigneault, Therrin, Julien.

Maybe this is still an English and French thing except P.J. mentions that when he was on the Habs, there were cliques seperating the European and French players. I'm not saying all French media is bigoted but a substantial segemt is out right rascist and listeners, readers and viewers like you do not hear, read or see it.

And you're talking about Melnick. Well, Melnick went out of his way to bring a French Canadian on his station's morning show. Does that sound like bigotry to you?

Bergeron and alot of his cohorts at 110% have made bigoted statements - not once but many times.

And I agree with Melnick, Bergeron can kiss Koivu's a**.

Old
05-28-2006, 10:00 AM
Ape Clutch

Send a message via MSN to Ape Clutch Send a message via Yahoo to Ape Clutch
Quote:

[/B]Lets face it: we have had for 10 years an underperforming organisation often divided and lacking finish. We were nowhere close to Detroit, Colorado or New Jersey.

Like it or not, Koivu has been captain of this team. He was often a positive light in these dark times but he never led his team near the cup.[B]

Flame away!

Take 5 Players who have played in the past 10 years, replace Saku with One of them. Now tell me If they win the Cup or If they don't.

Old
05-28-2006, 10:05 AM
Whitesnake
Steel your Habs away

vCash: 725
Quote:
Originally Posted by onice
I'll try not to flame you but I think you have your head stuck in a very very dark place where no light shines - an ostrich hole.

Keane was hounded out of Montreal because he didn't speak French.

You mention that the last 10 years Koivu didn't lead his team to anything. I guess if he spoke French they would win - right?

If you take a look at the last 10 years management and coaching was mostly French Canadian - did that help the Habs win anything.

G.M. S. Savard, Houle, A. Savard

Coaches: Tremblay, Vigneault, Therrin, Julien.

Maybe this is still an English and French thing except P.J. mentions that when he was on the Habs, there were cliques seperating the European and French players. I'm not saying all French media is bigoted but a substantial segemt is out right rascist and listeners, readers and viewers like you do not hear, read or see it.

And you're talking about Melnick. Well, Melnick went out of his way to bring a French Canadian on his station's morning show. Does that sound like bigotry to you?

Bergeron and alot of his cohorts at 110% have made bigoted statements - not once but many times.

And I agree with Melnick, Bergeron can kiss Koivu's a**.
So Bergeron talks crap about Koivu, it's stupid but then Melnyk talks crap about Bergeron and it's acceptable 'cause Bergeron started first. What kind of mentality is this. If we want that to stop once and for all, why not try to stop encouraging it.

And like some have said, Cherry does that all the time and it's funny but 110% does it as well and it's unacceptable.

Making comments based on language, it's unacceptable period. I have no problem with people talking about Koivu's leadership based on his leadership skills though. And it has nothing with the language he speaks.

But the real question is what is the role of a captain, but not any captain, the captain of Montreal Canadiens. Koivu doesn't think it should go beyond the dressing room, I personally don't agree. On top of that, the guy has a story by itself that it's so incredible to tell, that would totally made him a role model for all the kids of Montreal, that it is sad that most of them could not understand a great part of his message. But I can't blame Saku for that, it's the mistake of the organization to not make it clear, before voting for the Captain, that the job goes well beyond the dressing room. 'Cause if it doesn't again, the organization still doesn't their job properly 'cause they should go public and tell everybody that a captain of this organization is no different than any other it begins and ends in the dressing room....I can't believe they let Saku alone in that ''controversy''. They let Mulder alone for the Theo saga, and now the let Saku alone dealing with the medias. Not impressed by Gillett nor Boivin......

But what kind of guy is he? Does those talks and issues about him, the language, his captaincy really bothers him? What kind of performance would he give on the ice if he wasn't the captain? Would it be better for him to just concentrate on playing hockey? Would it just shut up the media if Begin had the C and Saks would concentrate on actually doing what he's paid for???

Old
05-28-2006, 10:14 AM
Teufelsdreck

I think it's time to explode the mythical aura that has been built up around Bégin. I admire the way he plays, which makes people (including myself) overlook his limited talent. But what makes anyone think that Bégin has the stature to be the team captain? If Gainey and Carbonneau had wanted him to be captain because they thought Koivu was not handling his postion properly, they would not have signed Koivu and given him a big raise.

Old
05-28-2006, 10:15 AM
HH
GO HABS GO!

Bergeron is a Nordiques fan, he's an insult for Habs fans...he should go back to Quebec and mind his own buiseness.

Old
05-28-2006, 10:17 AM
Whitesnake
Steel your Habs away

There's two things going in the wrong direction for Saku. He has to play as a #1 center and he's the captain. He's a great player in the wrong role. I believe Mel Gibson would suck in the role of a 7th year-old girl.....I believe we will never anything decent with Ribs in the lineup, I believe the same applies with Koivu in a #1 centerman role.....He's the perfect #2, and I'll go as far as believing that he would be the best in the league without all those expectations of a #1 and those languages issues....

Let the guy do his thing as a #2 center and far far away that language controversy and suddenly I believe you'll find a much better player, and just like that the team would be better.

It's unfortunate but one day I hope people will understand that being a captain is much more than just wearing a letter on a jersey. Ottawa choke year after year, though they are more in the playoffs than we are and go a little bit further than we do. Well even though he's a great player, people want to get rid of Alfredsson. People start complaining about Sundin. Are those two the real problems of their respective teams, of course not. But they take the heat 'cause they're captains of their teams.

Pretty normal that the Habs captain take the heat as well......

Last edited by Whitesnake: 05-28-2006 at 10:26 AM.
Old
05-28-2006, 10:21 AM
Whitesnake
Steel your Habs away

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck
I think it's time to explode the mythical aura that has been built up around Bégin. I admire the way he plays, which makes people (including myself) overlook his limited talent. But what makes anyone think that Bégin has the stature to be the team captain? If Gainey and Carbonneau had wanted him to be captain because they thought Koivu was not handling his postion properly, they would not have signed Koivu and given him a big raise.
Koivu was signed and give a big raise for his play on the ice. The Habs know that the big centerman we want is not so easy to find so they have no choice but going with Saku and make them the #1 centerman, I don't believe he should be one, but that's the only one we've got. So he's paid accordingly.

Old
05-28-2006, 10:26 AM
Ape Clutch

Send a message via MSN to Ape Clutch Send a message via Yahoo to Ape Clutch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck
These Begin followers, seem to quickly forget HOW we lost to Carolina. We COLLAPSED as a TEAM when Saku was gone. If Begin was such a leader, don't you think he should have/would have stepped up?

If Saku is a non-factor as a leader...how come we collapse everytime he's not there?

Old
05-28-2006, 10:31 AM
Whitesnake
Steel your Habs away

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanye West
These Begin followers, seem to quickly forget HOW we lost to Carolina. We COLLAPSED as a TEAM when Saku was gone. If Begin was such a leader, don't you think he should have/would have stepped up?

If Saku is a non-factor as a leader...how come we collapse everytime he's not there?
'Cause no one thinks Begin is a better hockey player than Saks. Personally, I'm not even questioning the fact that Saks is the best centerman we've got. Imagine that I questioned the fact that he could be #1, though he's the best we've got. So you can imagine that Begin is nothing more than a 4th liner playing PK and if he goes on the 3rd line, we're in trouble. So we lost to Carolina 'cause of the lack of talent not because he doesn't speak French.....

But again, if you believe like Saku that a Captain is in the dressing room only, well there's no reason for him to not be the Captain. But with the points I made earlier, you understand that I believe a captain is much more than this.

Closed Thread