HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Thought on fixing the defense

Old
06-01-2006, 11:24 PM
mikedifr

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16
What about the possibility of bringing Danny Markov back? He should have never been dealt to begin with, but that's old news. He automatically becomes one of the top four guys on the team. You can pair him with either Pitkanen or Meyer and they become that more dangerous. As well, Markov is no slouch in terms of defensive play and he's a great skater on top of it. It also means that we can say goodbye to Desjardins and Therien and their salary could pay for Danny alone. That should leave us with enough money to still go out and get one more defender like Kubina, if Johnsson isn't resigned. Figure you have a group of six that consists of Pitkanen, Meyer, Markov, Rathje, Gauthier and Kubina with Hatcher as the 7th man.
I would love to have Markov back, agree that he shouldnt have been traded in the first place. I dont like Kubina though, to me he is NOT what the Flyers need other then the fact that he is right handed shot. He isnt the most steady guy defensively, not bad offensively and a great shot, but I think we need someone very skilled that doesnt make a lot of mistakes or turn the puck over and can skate the puck out of the zone. To me that is not Kubina. I rather keep Johnsson or sign Havelid or Spacek.

Do you honestly think they would make Hatcher the 7th dman? I am fine with it, but doubt it would ever happen.

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2006, 12:17 AM
BringBackStevens

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedifr
Do you honestly think they would make Hatcher the 7th dman? I am fine with it, but doubt it would ever happen.
no.

and i honsetly dont see us signing 2 ufa d-men this season unless hatcher is gone, which i somehow doubt as well.

markov would be perfect IMO, but something tells me that there is more there that we are unaware of, perhaps tension with clarke or someone else in the organization. nothing else can really explain his departure in the first place.

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2006, 11:20 AM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylez19
no.

and i honsetly dont see us signing 2 ufa d-men this season unless hatcher is gone, which i somehow doubt as well.

markov would be perfect IMO, but something tells me that there is more there that we are unaware of, perhaps tension with clarke or someone else in the organization. nothing else can really explain his departure in the first place.
Actually, I do see us signing at least two ufa defensemen. It should be crystal clear to management that Eric Desjardins is "desjardone". Let him walk and save the 2.28 million. Same with Therien. Let him walk. As for Johnsson, I hate to say it, but I say let him walk as well. One concussion and he loses over half the season. That should send off warning bells right there. Yeah, he may be tailor made for the "new" NHL, but the fact that one concussion put him out for half the year should make the team leery of signing him, especially with this team's penchant for players with concussions.

As for the whole Markov thing, there were several reasons why he was let go. The first story was that when the lockout first took place, he was upset with the amount of players who were still getting paycheques because they were claiming injury. Markov still had broken bones in his feet from the playoffs and didn't see a dime. He was considering doing the same thing, which aparently left a bad taste in the mouths of a few people within the Flyers organization. The second thing with Markov came at the time of CBA ratification where he talked about going back to Russia after his contract was finished. He was seeing that Russia was going after players and were offering multi-million dollar deals that were tax free. Why wouldn't he consider going home if these sorts of deals were available? And that's what it was, he was considering. Finally, the third reason why he was dealt was that Clarke needed to make salary room for both Rathje and Hatcher.

I think Clarke has seen the error in his ways and that he will correct the defense this summer. As for Hatcher being a number seven defenseman on the team, who would the team put at number seven? Rathje? Doubt it, he's more mobile than Hatcher, and that isn't saying much. Meyer? Doubt it, he's become probably the number 2 guy on the team. Gauthier? Maybe, but he brings a physical presence back there that Hatcher can't or won't match. We won't even touch Pitkanen. So, if we do sign a couple of defensemen like Markov, Kubina or Spacek, where does that leave Hatcher? That's right, the number seven role. It also means that we can leave Picard with the Phantoms to develop even more.

However, because Hatcher carries a high price tag, they'll more than likely try moving him first before putting him in the seventh role. On a side note, does anyone know if Hatcher has a no trade clause?

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2006, 09:06 PM
NHDrunk

Need to dump the little guys on "D"

They looked like turnstiles in the playoffs!

NHDrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2006, 09:21 PM
BringBackStevens

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDrunk
They looked like turnstiles in the playoffs!
?

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote