HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Phoenix - Edm proposal

Closed Thread

Old
11-05-2003, 07:47 AM
27theROCK

vCash: 500
Phoenix - Edm proposal

With the rumors going around Lowe has benn talking to Phoenix how about a trade going down like:

Edmonton - Vaananen, Kolanos, Spiller
Pheonix - Comrie, Horcoff, Ferguson

lines
Smyth - Kolanos - Hemsky
Torres - York - Dvo
RPM
Isbister - Stoll - Laraque

Smith - Staios
Brewer - Vaananen
Cross - Semenov/MAB

I like the lines and think the trade is reasonable. what do you think?

Old
11-05-2003, 08:00 AM
LoudmouthHemskyFan#2

done so fast....any trade with horcoff leaving makes us win the deal....Vaananen is a very good young dman and i think would be nice to have..would rather have suchy but i cant get everything i want i guess...

Old
11-05-2003, 08:10 AM
jofa

Quote:
Originally Posted by 27theROCK
With the rumors going around Lowe has benn talking to Phoenix how about a trade going down like:

Who, who and who? Ok, I'm not necessarily hoping for a monster blockbuster trade, but I'd be pretty disappointed to see these three coming back in return. A defensive defenseman, an unproven center and a defensive prospect who HF describes as a "Chris Therien" type player... ick.

I'm thinking we need quality over quantity, and this deal gives a lot of what we already have - role players and 3rd liners. Plus, considering Lowe knows he will be judged heavily on how successful he resolves the Comrie situation, trading a potential perennial 30g scorer (not to mention Horcoff, who still has some value, perceived or otherwise) for three players with very limited credentials and pretty much zero name recognition would get him lambasted by fans and the media.

The only players we should be considering from Phoenix would be either Doan or Nagy.

Old
11-05-2003, 09:28 AM
camboy

I think the possibility of a trade with Phoenix is very high. It may seemed to have come out of nowhere....but KLowe and Gretz have had a lot of opportunity to talk to each other this week. I would like to see:

Edm: Mara, Kolanos

Pho: Comrie, Chimera, Ferguson

Mara's a solid top four D-man with PP potential and Kolanos is a big talent center. The downside on Kolanos is he is behind in his development(due to his injury) and brings the Oilers only potential, whereas Comrie is a proven offensive talent. Another negative to this deal is Comrie playing for a western conference team(and looking good with Nagy and Doan). I see this trade as a risk for the Oilers with a very big potential upside in Kolanos. Fits the budget as well.

lines
Smyth - Kolanos - Hemsky
Torres - York - Dvo
RPM
Isbister - Horcoff - Laraque

Smith - Staios
Brewer - Mara
Cross - Semenov/MAB

Old
11-05-2003, 09:28 AM
FacelessButcher

I am guessing the Phoenix-Edmonton deal would not include Comrie at all they don't like small guys you should be looking more in the Laraque/Isbister picks or Rita direction probably much smaller scale trade.

Old
11-05-2003, 09:35 AM
camboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by FacelessButcher
I am guessing the Phoenix-Edmonton deal would not include Comrie at all they don't like small guys you should be looking more in the Laraque/Isbister picks or Rita direction probably much smaller scale trade.
They don't like small guys because they traded Briere? What about Nagy?
Also, Comrie will sell more tickets than Briere or Gratton(3rd line center at best). But you could be right though.

Old
11-05-2003, 09:47 AM
Mizral

Okay, again, I'm going to do this point by point in note form about this, and why I do not think any of this makes any sense:

First off, the Yotes have, at centre right now: Langkow, Gratton, Sillinger, Hrdina (who plays wing), Kolanos, Taffe (who is playing AMAZING in the AHL), and probobly a couple others I am not thinking of. Not sure if they need Comrie.

The problem with the Yotes have not been scoring. While they only have 28 goals in 11 games (not *great*), they have run into some tough opposition too. Their goaltending has been iffy at best so far, and that's what's hurting them more than anything. They are in a very similar spot to the Oilers. Good offense, 'meh' defense, poor goaltending.

The Yotes had to dump Amonte due to salary reasons, and had a tough time making sure all their RFA's came back. I believe after the Hulse signing, Barnett essentially said 'we're at our cap'. The Yotes are tight on revenue at the moment. I could see them MAYBE adding some later on in December when they move into their new building, but not now.

Under ZERO circumstances will Nagy be dealt. Flat out, moving Comrie and getting back Nagy is not going to happen. About as likely as getting Martin Havlat or Marian Hossa right now.

Ditto with Paul Mara. Mara has been by far the best Yote defenseman and is having a breakout season. Even Barnett (whom I regard as a total imbicile) isn't stupid enough to trade a player who is just breaking out.

And now for Vaananen. I would liken Vaananen to Hemsky on the Yotes. He is that important. A great young player with lots of potential. Vaananen has the goods to be another Janne Niinimaa some day. Trading guys like that is really difficult, even for great goal scorers like Comrie. However, I will say this - Barnett, being a total joke of a GM, could be stupid enough to do this. But I don't think it's very likely either.

Kolanos seems like a guy Lowe would like, but another guy Lowe might want to nab is David Tanabe. A few years ago, I thought Tanabe was going to be one of the better defensemen in the NHL someday with his skillset. Things aren't so great right now for him, but he still have good offensive ability that the Oilers could certainly use. Plus he's got way more experience than Bergeron.

Boucher is not playing and is grumbling even more than ever to the media. Barnett is desperatly trying to move him. Anywhere.

But, if you're thinking you might like Boucher, don't expect the Yotes to take back Salo. They can't afford two $4 million dollar goaltenders.

Old
11-05-2003, 09:48 AM
AVE MAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by 27theROCK

lines
Smyth - Kolanos - Hemsky
Torres - York - Dvo
RPM
Isbister - Stoll - Laraque

Smith - Staios
Brewer - Vaananen
Cross - Semenov/MAB

I like the lines and think the trade is reasonable. what do you think?

Of all the trade rumours out there this one is definetly the worst one! Kolanos is 1 hit away from never playing in the NHL again. The only way I could see a deal with phoenix being a remote possibility is by getting a goalie in return as part of a package. Burke and Boucher make too much, however I could see Bierk being involved in some sort of deal. Any transaction the oilers make for Comrie will have to include a goalie coming back this way. Thats why the Atlanta rumour seems to be the most likely with Hurme becoming an oiler. Its obvious that Salo can not be counted on any more. 1 good game in 15 is just not going to cut it for a starting goalie.

Old
11-05-2003, 09:51 AM
LawnDemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizral
But, if you're thinking you might like Boucher, don't expect the Yotes to take back Salo. They can't afford two $4 million dollar goaltenders.
unless they ship the older, more injury prone one to colorado.

Old
11-05-2003, 10:14 AM
barto

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVE MAN
Of all the trade rumours out there this one is definetly the worst one! Kolanos is 1 hit away from never playing in the NHL again. The only way I could see a deal with phoenix being a remote possibility is by getting a goalie in return as part of a package. Burke and Boucher make too much, however I could see Bierk being involved in some sort of deal. Any transaction the oilers make for Comrie will have to include a goalie coming back this way. Thats why the Atlanta rumour seems to be the most likely with Hurme becoming an oiler. Its obvious that Salo can not be counted on any more. 1 good game in 15 is just not going to cut it for a starting goalie.
Isn't it supposed to work the other way around? Aren't you supposed to say stuff like "Salo can't be counted on anymore" after he has a BAD game?

I suspect that the Oilers wouldn't make a deal for a goalie until the trade deadline at the earliest - they'll ride Salo (& maybe give Conklin more starts if he plays well) at least until then, hoping that Salo turns his game around and is more consistently good.

And why would the Coyotes give up Bierk? Burke and Boucher are too much ($$) for the Yotes to keep, so it seems far more likely that they give up one of the expensive two and keep the cheaper Bierk.

However, I definitely agree with you about Kolanos being a fairly big risk with the concussion history - the Oilers can't give up too much to get a guy like him, IMO.

Bart

Old
11-05-2003, 10:31 AM
gamblor

How about just the simple but elegant trade of Kolanos for Jani Rita?

Old
11-05-2003, 10:37 AM
camboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizral
Okay, again, I'm going to do this point by point in note form about this, and why I do not think any of this makes any sense:

First off, the Yotes have, at centre right now: Langkow, Gratton, Sillinger, Hrdina (who plays wing), Kolanos, Taffe (who is playing AMAZING in the AHL), and probobly a couple others I am not thinking of. Not sure if they need Comrie.

The problem with the Yotes have not been scoring. While they only have 28 goals in 11 games (not *great*), they have run into some tough opposition too. Their goaltending has been iffy at best so far, and that's what's hurting them more than anything. They are in a very similar spot to the Oilers. Good offense, 'meh' defense, poor goaltending.

The Yotes had to dump Amonte due to salary reasons, and had a tough time making sure all their RFA's came back. I believe after the Hulse signing, Barnett essentially said 'we're at our cap'. The Yotes are tight on revenue at the moment. I could see them MAYBE adding some later on in December when they move into their new building, but not now.

Under ZERO circumstances will Nagy be dealt. Flat out, moving Comrie and getting back Nagy is not going to happen. About as likely as getting Martin Havlat or Marian Hossa right now.

Ditto with Paul Mara. Mara has been by far the best Yote defenseman and is having a breakout season. Even Barnett (whom I regard as a total imbicile) isn't stupid enough to trade a player who is just breaking out.

And now for Vaananen. I would liken Vaananen to Hemsky on the Yotes. He is that important. A great young player with lots of potential. Vaananen has the goods to be another Janne Niinimaa some day. Trading guys like that is really difficult, even for great goal scorers like Comrie. However, I will say this - Barnett, being a total joke of a GM, could be stupid enough to do this. But I don't think it's very likely either.

Kolanos seems like a guy Lowe would like, but another guy Lowe might want to nab is David Tanabe. A few years ago, I thought Tanabe was going to be one of the better defensemen in the NHL someday with his skillset. Things aren't so great right now for him, but he still have good offensive ability that the Oilers could certainly use. Plus he's got way more experience than Bergeron.

Boucher is not playing and is grumbling even more than ever to the media. Barnett is desperatly trying to move him. Anywhere.

A couple of thoughts back at you:
Langkow - will still be as effective on the second line
Gratton - IS a third line center at best
Sillinger - quality fourth liner
Taffe - a year or two away from top-two line minutes
Hrdina - stays on the wing
Nagy - will not be traded....I agree
Mara - very good player, hardly untouchable, but you are probably right-will not be traded anytime soon.
Tanabe - Coyotes are still very high on him - awesome skater -just got him too!
Burke - Colorado?? doubt it.
Boucher - if there is a hockey god he will never be an Oiler
Vaananen to Niinimaa - Which one has been traded twice?
Comrie - instantly the most talented player on the Coyotes(if it happened of course-still prefer to have him as an Oiler!)
Kolanos - Oilers would accept the risk for the potential, but not as the principal in a Comrie trade.

Old
11-05-2003, 01:02 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

PHX doesn't have the talent and willingness to part with it to get a deal like this done IMO. I really hope a deal like that which is being rumored doesn't go down, because it would seriously jeopardize future success of the team, as top centers don't exactly grow on trees, and aren't named Kolanos.

Deal with a team that might be willing to part with the talent.

That's not gonna happen you say? Well then...

Sit the guy down and get him signed already. Get Comrie and Lowe in the same room and figure this thing out.

And if it's MacT that's causing this problem...fire him.(not gonna happen, but if he is the reason, he shouldn't be the coach)

Old
11-05-2003, 02:07 PM
Easilee 27

I think Kolanos is going to be very very good in this league. Deveraux was supposed to be done after the Drake hit, but he's had a healthy career since. Same situation, only Kolanos is much more talented, and bigger.

Old
11-05-2003, 02:10 PM
oilers_guy_eddie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easilee 27
I think Kolanos is going to be very very good in this league. Deveraux was supposed to be done after the Drake hit, but he's had a healthy career since. Same situation, only Kolanos is much more talented, and bigger.
Devereaux may have stayed healthy, but his career has been more or less a flop since the hit.

Old
11-05-2003, 02:38 PM
hmminvisiblecola1279
I just hope we can

precisely oge and to me kolanos has potential, but is it worth the risk to trade for potential especially giving up a guy like comrie, i dont think so. plus he has a history of concussions which surely would make lowe very nervous at least i hope so.

Closed Thread