HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Which American cities are most like Canadian ones?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-04-2006, 10:37 PM
  #51
Transported Upstater
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Take care, all. :)
Country: United States
Posts: 22,983
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by frontsfan2005
I've heard that Denver and Calgary are alot alike in many ways.

I would think Denver is a little more central politically though, because Calgary residents as a whole lean to the same direction politically as their hockey team leans for scoring purposes: right wing.

Transported Upstater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2006, 11:17 PM
  #52
arrbez
bad chi
 
arrbez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,685
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to arrbez
Quote:
Originally Posted by TransportedUpstater
I would think Denver is a little more central politically though, because Calgary residents as a whole lean to the same direction politically as their hockey team leans for scoring purposes: right wing.
You spent all night thinking of that, didn't you?

arrbez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2006, 03:54 AM
  #53
vcx*
 
vcx*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Penguins Fan
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,783
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken
again, i disagree, vancouver and seattle aren't as similar as portland and Vancouver.

Seattle is ugly.

I've only been to seattle 3 times, the rain is what makes me feel that they are our sister city. I heard Portland isn't that great...Vancouver isn't that bad.

vcx* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2006, 03:56 PM
  #54
jiggs 10
Registered User
 
jiggs 10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Hockeytown, ND
Country: United States
Posts: 3,541
vCash: 500
MInneapolis is not like a Canadian city (except maybe downtown Toronto). It is very snotty and cosmo (at least in the minds of those who live there!). Milwaukee has always seemed more like a Canadian city to me, reminds me of Winnipeg (except it is not quite as multi-cultural) in architecture and size.

Seattle is OK, but it rains FAR too much, and doesn't get any real snow. What's the point?

jiggs 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2006, 11:05 PM
  #55
Transported Upstater
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Take care, all. :)
Country: United States
Posts: 22,983
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by arrbez
You spent all night thinking of that, didn't you?

No, because I gots the style!!!

Transported Upstater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2006, 03:24 PM
  #56
Yellow Dog
Registered User
 
Yellow Dog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Chonburi, Thailand
Country: Thailand
Posts: 46
vCash: 500
Buffalo is as good as canadian. we live and breath under the banner of the maple leaf. i think you'll find that most from Fort Erie to Burlington will tell you the same thing.

I also believe that Buffalo grabs a lot of fans in S.Ontario that aren't interested in the Leafs. Buffalo is just as strong when it comes to hockey as any canadian team.

Yellow Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2006, 07:31 AM
  #57
Ogopogo*
 
Ogopogo*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,214
vCash: 500
Edmonton and Dallas have many similarities because of the oil industry, cattle industry, flatlands and conservative politics.


Last edited by Ogopogo*: 06-17-2006 at 07:55 AM.
Ogopogo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2006, 07:58 AM
  #58
UvBnDatsyuked
Registered User
 
UvBnDatsyuked's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 2,167
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire11
And we think Americans need history lessons.....
That is funny. Everyone knows that the country of Alaska was taken from the Mexicans during the Civil War

UvBnDatsyuked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2006, 08:30 AM
  #59
SharksDownUnder
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Sydney
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,003
vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to SharksDownUnder
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmbr_24
I've only been to Toronto, Montreal, and Ottowa for short periods of time, but, Boulder, Colorado, reminded me of a smaller Toronto.
what are you sniffing...

Boulder is a RIGHT WING... wanna be San Fran.

but missed the boat... maybe because the Colorado River does not come close enough to it.

SharksDownUnder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2006, 08:33 AM
  #60
SharksDownUnder
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Sydney
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,003
vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to SharksDownUnder
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasbro
Calgary, Edmonton and Denver. All at the foot of the Rockies on the prarie, oil and western history.
Denver, is like mini - me to Austin Powers ...

a laughable comparison.

Canadian Rockies are ROCKIES... Colorado, is a wanna be comparison.

SharksDownUnder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2006, 12:42 PM
  #61
Hasbro
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Hasbro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: South Rectangle
Country: Sami
Posts: 32,208
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SharksDownUnder
what are you sniffing...

Boulder is a RIGHT WING... wanna be San Fran.

but missed the boat... maybe because the Colorado River does not come close enough to it.
Do you know the difference from right and left in politics?
Quote:
Denver, is like mini - me to Austin Powers ...

a laughable comparison.

Canadian Rockies are ROCKIES... Colorado, is a wanna be comparison.
Denver is also as big as Calgary and Edmonton put together.

And the Canadian Rockies top off at about 13,000 feet, we've got about 50 over that.


Last edited by Hasbro: 06-17-2006 at 12:56 PM.
Hasbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2006, 05:16 PM
  #62
David Puddy
Registered User
 
David Puddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: New Jersey, USA
Country: United States
Posts: 5,824
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SharksDownUnder
Canadian Rockies are ROCKIES... Colorado, is a wanna be comparison.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasbro
And the Canadian Rockies top off at about 13,000 feet, we've got about 50 over that.
Don't confuse poor SharksDownUnder with facts.

Mount Robson, British Columbia, Canda 12,972 ft/ 3,954 m

Ya coll thaaaat a racky? This is a racky, mate:

Mount Elbert, Colorado, USA 14,439 ft/ 4,401 m

That's +1,467 feet or + 447 meters.

David Puddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2006, 05:18 PM
  #63
David Puddy
Registered User
 
David Puddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: New Jersey, USA
Country: United States
Posts: 5,824
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWingFan
Everyone knows that the country of Alaska was taken from the Mexicans during the Civil War
Those lousy redcoats!

David Puddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2006, 06:33 PM
  #64
arrbez
bad chi
 
arrbez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,685
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to arrbez
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Puddy
Don't confuse poor SharksDownUnder with facts.

Mount Robson, British Columbia, Canda 12,972 ft/ 3,954 m

Ya coll thaaaat a racky? This is a racky, mate:

Mount Elbert, Colorado, USA 14,439 ft/ 4,401 m

That's +1,467 feet or + 447 meters.
The real question is who makes the weaker beer...

Is it "Glacier Fresh Kokanee", or "Cold Filtered Coors Light"? Very, very close.

arrbez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2006, 08:49 PM
  #65
Hasbro
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Hasbro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: South Rectangle
Country: Sami
Posts: 32,208
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Puddy
Don't confuse poor SharksDownUnder with facts.

Mount Robson, British Columbia, Canda 12,972 ft/ 3,954 m

Ya coll thaaaat a racky? This is a racky, mate:

Mount Elbert, Colorado, USA 14,439 ft/ 4,401 m

That's +1,467 feet or + 447 meters.
Throwing in the elevation of Denver is about twice that of Clagary and Edmonton.

and this:
Quote:
Boulder is a RIGHT WING... wanna be San Fran.
Despite the Berkley comparisions, this city wants to be nothing like California.

WAY off!

Hasbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2006, 08:53 PM
  #66
Hasbro
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Hasbro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: South Rectangle
Country: Sami
Posts: 32,208
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by arrbez
The real question is who makes the weaker beer...

Is it "Glacier Fresh Kokanee", or "Cold Filtered Coors Light"? Very, very close.
Sex in a canoe.

It's a shame Coors is so attached to this state's image, we have so many better beers and the Coors family are a bunch of loons.

Hasbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2006, 09:24 PM
  #67
naihlflames
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Detroit MI
Country: United States
Posts: 2,081
vCash: 500
OK: I'm surprosed it took so long for this one. Sault Ste Marie Michigan is alot like Sault Ste Marie Ontario.

naihlflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2006, 09:39 PM
  #68
blackhawksmaniac
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: South Bend, IN
Country: United States
Posts: 368
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to blackhawksmaniac
for some reason i think Philly and Toronto are alike

blackhawksmaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2006, 05:32 AM
  #69
SharksDownUnder
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Sydney
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,003
vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to SharksDownUnder
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasbro
Throwing in the elevation of Denver is about twice that of Clagary and Edmonton.

and thisespite the Berkley comparisions, this city wants to be nothing like California.

WAY off!
I am glad you make my response easy...

With Denver at a mile high.... your base to summit ratios are less than IMPRESSIVE. We all know Colorado has the rockies... but if anyone wants to see the REAL ROCKIES.... come north.

The base to summit climb on the south face of Mt Robson is 10,000 feet... thats what Im talking about VERTICAL.

Dont be ashamed, it common knowledge that Coloradons have thinner air to breathe and it can affect your thinking.

Boulder has a decent Buffalo Gold - but in general... Coors gives you a minor league reputation. As a Coors is like having a skim milk with your cookies.

Plus we have the best bud cookies with a glacier fresh kokanee beer that will keep you true.

On the politics... thats a lesson on sarcasm. You will find what that means in a Canadian Websters Dictionary. Since its not an understood term in America... eh

Oops, my Yankee mother didnt like that last dig... but what can I say... its a fact or a matter of opinon. She hates it when we are right.

Thank God Im a country boy... that cowboy CAN dance, I will give you that.


Last edited by SharksDownUnder: 06-18-2006 at 06:28 AM.
SharksDownUnder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2006, 08:48 AM
  #70
arrbez
bad chi
 
arrbez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,685
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to arrbez
Quote:
Originally Posted by SharksDownUnder
Plus we have the best bud cookies with a glacier fresh kokanee beer that will keep you true.
I'll skip over the other imflammitory statements you had just to highlite the most hillarious.

arrbez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2006, 08:50 AM
  #71
David Puddy
Registered User
 
David Puddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: New Jersey, USA
Country: United States
Posts: 5,824
vCash: 500
Speaking of the Rockies, not the Devils franchise before moving to New Jersey, here is an unidentifiable New Jersey Devils player (he's dead to me now) with the Stanley Cup on Mt. Fisher (9,253 ft,) near Cranbrook, British Columbia.
[IMAGE]http://www.miketodd.ca/web/archives/niedermayer_scott_cuppeakHP1.jpg[/IMAGE]

Quote:
Originally Posted by naihlflames
OK: I'm surprosed it took so long for this one. Sault Ste Marie Michigan is alot like Sault Ste Marie Ontario.
Interestingly though, Niagara Falls, New York, USA and Niagara Falls, Ontario, Canada are very different.

The Canadian side has a casino, a street, Centre Street I think, lined with arcades, shops and such. The U.S. side is dominated by Niagara Reservation State Park.

Both were nice, but fairly different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhawksmaniac
for some reason i think Philly and Toronto are alike
I disagree. Toronto seemed really nice to me. I'm just kidding, Philadelphia is a nice place. I will agree with you in that South Street wants to be New York City's Bleecker Street or St. Marks Place.

Thinking about it though, the nicer sections of Washington D.C. remind me of certain sections of Toronto. They have their yuppie bars and restaurants. There are nice apartment buildings.

David Puddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2006, 01:17 PM
  #72
Hasbro
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Hasbro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: South Rectangle
Country: Sami
Posts: 32,208
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SharksDownUnder
I am glad you make my response easy...

With Denver at a mile high.... your base to summit ratios are less than IMPRESSIVE. We all know Colorado has the rockies... but if anyone wants to see the REAL ROCKIES.... come north.

The base to summit climb on the south face of Mt Robson is 10,000 feet... thats what Im talking about VERTICAL.
And not just covering your *** because you didn't know the summits?

Quote:
Dont be ashamed, it common knowledge that Coloradons have thinner air to breathe and it can affect your thinking.
What's the Canucklehead excuse?

Quote:
Boulder has a decent Buffalo Gold - but in general... Coors gives you a minor league reputation. As a Coors is like having a skim milk with your cookies.
The Coors Brewery also isn't in Boulder, it's in Golden. Anyway no one local really drinks it, Fat Tire is the more beloved brand and we have more Microbrews per capita than anywhere in the world.

It's kind of like fosters being Australian for beer.

Quote:
Plus we have the best bud cookies with a glacier fresh kokanee beer that will keep you true.
Had a few before before you posted that I see.

Quote:
On the politics... thats a lesson on sarcasm. You will find what that means in a Canadian Websters Dictionary. Since its not an understood term in America... eh
Not *** covering here? We have a smiley for that and you capped the word for emphasis.

Quote:
Oops, my Yankee mother didnt like that last dig... but what can I say... its a fact or a matter of opinon. She hates it when we are right.
The fact that you would say that ANY city in Colorado wants to be like California proves you don't have a clue about this state. Much less Boulder.

Quote:
Thank God Im a country boy... that cowboy CAN dance, I will give you that.
Who was from New Mexico.


Last edited by Hasbro: 06-18-2006 at 01:38 PM.
Hasbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2006, 01:19 PM
  #73
Hasbro
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Hasbro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: South Rectangle
Country: Sami
Posts: 32,208
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Puddy
Speaking of the Rockies, not the Devils franchise before moving to New Jersey, here is an unidentifiable New Jersey Devils player (he's dead to me now) with the Stanley Cup on Mt. Fisher (9,253 ft,) near Cranbrook, British Columbia.
[IMAGE]http://www.miketodd.ca/web/archives/niedermayer_scott_cuppeakHP1.jpg[/IMAGE]

Interestingly though, Niagara Falls, New York, USA and Niagara Falls, Ontario, Canada are very different.

The Canadian side has a casino, a street, Centre Street I think, lined with arcades, shops and such. The U.S. side is dominated by Niagara Reservation State Park.

Both were nice, but fairly different.
I've heard Windsor called the worst place in Canada. If that is the case it would make it exaclty like Detroit.

Hasbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2006, 01:59 PM
  #74
OHLArenaGuide
Registered User
 
OHLArenaGuide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: London ON/St John's
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,154
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TransportedUpstater
For some reason, Pittsburgh and Hamilton remind me of each other.
Night and day. Pittsburgh is lovely, set in the mountains, three rivers surrounding the downtown, new buildings, interesting architecture. Hamilton is a factory-glutted hole.

OHLArenaGuide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2006, 06:33 PM
  #75
SharksDownUnder
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Sydney
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,003
vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to SharksDownUnder
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Puddy
Speaking of the Rockies, not the Devils franchise before moving to New Jersey, here is an unidentifiable New Jersey Devils player (he's dead to me now) with the Stanley Cup on Mt. Fisher (9,253 ft,) near Cranbrook, British Columbia.
[IMAGE]http://www.miketodd.ca/web/archives/niedermayer_scott_cuppeakHP1.jpg[/IMAGE]

Interestingly though, Niagara Falls, New York, USA and Niagara Falls, Ontario, Canada are very different.

The Canadian side has a casino, a street, Centre Street I think, lined with arcades, shops and such. The U.S. side is dominated by Niagara Reservation State Park.

Both were nice, but fairly different.

I disagree. Toronto seemed really nice to me. I'm just kidding, Philadelphia is a nice place. I will agree with you in that South Street wants to be New York City's Bleecker Street or St. Marks Place.

Thinking about it though, the nicer sections of Washington D.C. remind me of certain sections of Toronto. They have their yuppie bars and restaurants. There are nice apartment buildings.
How sweet (bittersweet) is Scotty on the Summit!

Phoenix is like Calgary or Edmonton.... (at least in the wintertime)

Yuma and Mesa per capita is probably quite the Canadian towns.

Scottsdale is like the Native homeland.

SharksDownUnder is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:01 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.